AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-03-02, 00:21   Link #1
lubczyk

What anime genre do you just not enjoy?

What anime genre do you just not enjoy?

You know, a type of anime you just won't watch, or if you do watch it you're just bored the whole way through.

My personal pet-peeves are Slice-of-Life and BoyLove/GirlLove anime.

When I watch an anime, movie, read a book, et cetera; I want to be taken on a journey. I want some kind of plot or purpose to materialize or a theme to be present. Slice-of-life just feels like an anit-thesis of entertainment. Everyday calm stuff happens, the end. I need some kind of hook. I can watch Aria for it has a fantasy hook to it. I can watch Air and Kanon for ithey have a sci-fi hook. I can watch Azumanga Daioh, School Rumble and Lucky Star for they have great comedy hooks to them. I can't watch stuff like Kokoro Library. It's just so boring. It's about a bloody library in a sirene town. I only watched it because somebody else wanted to watch it with me.

I can't get into BoyLove/GirlLove anime. I don't think the Japanese understand BoyLove/GirlLove. Gravitation, Loveless, Strawberry Panic. The Romances in those animes just feel so fake. It's like the writers go "Oh, Cute Boys Kissing," or "Oh, Cute Girls Kissing," and don't go much anywhere beyond that. Romances in Samesex Love animes just feel so forced and the animes just seem to stagnate. Even Kannazuki no Miko and Kashimashi just feel so incomplete somehow. I mean, If you replaced one girl in a "Girl Love" anime with a boy, it would still be totally generic, hamfisted and uninspired. These animes always have such good premises yet seem so lifeless once you watch them. It's like the people that make these shows can not go beyond the taboo concept.

Those are my genres that I just don't enjoy watching? What's yours?
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 00:35   Link #2
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Nothing specific. Genres basically narrows down your search for certain anime i.m.o.

I noticed the amount of emphasis you have placed on your dissatisfaction for Boy/Girl Love.

Kannazuki no Miko and Kashimashi feels incomplete? That's just you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk
I mean, If you replaced one girl in a "Girl Love" anime with a boy, it would still be totally generic, hamfisted and uninspired.
Obviously, because the girls ain't meant to be replaced with boys, hence the "Girl Love" genre. Seriously, do you even have the slightest idea what you're posting?

Quote:
These animes always have such good premises yet seem so lifeless once you watch them. It's like the people that make these shows can not go beyond the taboo concept.
You fail to understand that you do not represent everyone. It seems "so" lifeless to you, but not to me.

Quote:
I can't get into BoyLove/GirlLove anime. I don't think the Japanese understand BoyLove/GirlLove. Gravitation, Loveless, Strawberry Panic. The Romances in those animes just feel so fake.
I advise you to stay away from BoyLove/GirlLove anime, seriously.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-03-02 at 00:52.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 00:37   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Mecha. Strangely, my #9 favorite anime is a mecha, but other than that, I cannot sit through them. It's not as if I haven't tried. I've watched Eureka Seven, which was good, but it wasn't excellent, and I honestly didn't want to watch another series like that even though I enjoyed it while watching it.

Magical Girl/Magical Boy/etc... Strangely, my #2 favorite anime is magical girl, but other than that, I cannot sit through them. I tried to watch them but it just didn't interest me. I love Moetan for the fact that it is a parody of itself and its own genre. That's really sad.

Fantasy with magic, pretty much same as above. I didn't really like Nagasarete Airantou, Kaze no Stigma, Rental Magica, etc..., even though I really try to and finished the first two out of obligation. I thought Kanon was decent, and I was really surprised that I liked Clannad, Fuko's arc. Except for KyoAni works, anything with fantasy and magic usually turns me off.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 00:40   Link #4
lubczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
Nothing specific. Genres basically narrows down your search for certain anime i.m.o.

I noticed the amount of emphasis you have placed on your dissatisfaction for Boy/Girl Love.

Kannazuki no Miko and Kashimashi feels incomplete? That's just you.

Obviously, because the girls ain't meant to be replaced with boys, hence the "Girl Love" genre. Seriously, do you even have the slightest idea what you're posting?

Yeah I do. I've watched a lot of BoyLove/GirlLove anime and none of them seemed romantic at all to me. I mean, I love romance anime, but these just felt "off." I keep telling myself "This is supposed to be romantic, right?" and I get nothing as far as emotiional response from my own person. I mean I think, I've watched most of the BoyLove/GirlLove anime out there and I've given a "meh" every single time. I gues I just don't get it. I don't get enjoyment out of watching them.

I mean, I can have fun watching gay/lesbian European cinema, but in anime, I just can't get into it.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 00:46   Link #5
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

Yeah I do. I've watched a lot of BoyLove/GirlLove anime and none of them seemed romantic at all to me. I mean, I love romance anime, but these just felt "off." I keep telling myself "This is supposed to be romantic, right?" and I get nothing as far as emotiional response from my own person. I mean I think, I've watched most of the BoyLove/GirlLove anime out there and I've given a "meh" every single time. I gues I just don't get it. I don't get enjoyment out of watching them.

I mean, I can have fun watching gay/lesbian European cinema, but in anime, I just can't get into it.
Yep, I guess you didn't get it. Which BoyLove/GirlLove anime did you not give a "meh"?
Old 2008-03-02, 00:56   Link #6
Echoes

None, really, but the closest thing would be Mecha. I've enjoyed a few mecha series as well, but it really is the only genre that actually discourages my interest in a show before I've even seen it. I'm not much into machines in real life either. Not even cars.

I'll admit I'm rather inexperienced in the field, though, and I'll continue to (try to) watch Mecha series in the future to see if my mind'll be swayed.
Old 2008-03-02, 00:58   Link #7
Liddo-kun
is this so?

This is easy to answer, it would have to be the mainstream Shounen anime genre
The fight scenes become old after some time and the episodes are filler filled = Naruto and Bleach.
Not to mention the plot also becomes paper thin after some time = DBZ.

In my many years of watching anime, Gurren Lagann is probably the only shounen anime that I've come to respect.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-03-02 at 01:42.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 01:25   Link #8
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

I can't stand mahou shoujo titles. I do love the fru fru costumes though.
I also can't watch anything shoujo with over-glorified bishies.
Yuri/Yaoi is also a no for me.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 01:36   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

None really. I watch almost anything.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 02:16   Link #10
Oppius
Banned

Shounen-ai/yaoi...

Nuff Said!
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 02:23   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -boiledliddo- View Post
This is easy to answer, it would have to be the mainstream Shounen anime genre
The fight scenes become old after some time and the episodes are filler filled = Naruto and Bleach.
Not to mention the plot also becomes paper thin after some time = DBZ.

In my many years of watching anime, Gurren Lagann is probably the only shounen anime that I've come to respect.
Although I will say that if Naruto and Bleach actually ended, it could've saved itself from total failure, I do agree. Series that have the "action-only" feel turns me off now, and I only watch action if it's accompanied with other genres, such as Shakugan no Shana, Seirei no Moribito, or Kino's Journey, etc...

Pretty much the only recent shounen anime I like is Claymore.
Old 2008-03-02, 02:23   Link #12
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b

I tend to stray myself away from mecha, but even though I happen to watch a mecha-based anime, I enjoy it just as much.

As long as its done right, the genre shouldn't be a reason to dislike the anime.
Old 2008-03-02, 02:25   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirbelwind8 View Post
I tend to stray myself away from mecha, but even though I happen to watch a mecha-based anime, I enjoy it just as much.

As long as its done right, the genre shouldn't be a reason to dislike the anime.
I agree with this. Although, actually, *all* of the mecha anime I've watched I consider good, I just don't want to watch another one. I'm not sure why.
Old 2008-03-02, 02:37   Link #14
jedinat

I'd have to go with mainstream shounen as well. I enjoyed it at one time, early in my anime-watching days, but now I just can't stand it. There are at times exceptions of course.

Shounen-ai/yaoi is also no-go for me, for obvious reasons. (no girls)

I'm not sure how to place it genre-wise, but I'm also pretty adverse to that typical type of eroge anime. I'm not sure how to explain it... there is like this strange otaku-dimension in which these anime take place; where lonely broken-hearted girls speak forlorn monologue into empty space; where elaborate and eerily similar plots endlessly repeat themselves, each trying to be sadder than the last... Eh, I dunno. the recent Kanon was an exception, since the girls were so adorable.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 02:52   Link #15
james0246

I detest most Harem style anime. Not only is it belittling to men and women, it is almost always unfunny, unromantic, and uninteresting. Love Traingles are great, but when you get outside of that nice complex dynamic, the romance becomes stale and silly.

That being said, the Love Hina, manga not anime, was very good (and the recent Negima manga as well), but those are the only two series out of many that go against my general dislike of the Harem sub-genre.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-03-08 at 17:34.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 02:54   Link #16
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Forgot to add this:

If there is a genre for crossdressing, it would also be one of the genre's I can't stand to watch for more than 3 eps.

Can't tolerate to watch Ouran or Princess Princess. ><
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 03:10   Link #17
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Pretty much take what the majority of people have said in this thread and then invert it and you'll have your answer.

Okay seriously though, I grow weary of formula eroge conversion/romances and Slice of Life (Comedy). Not Slife of Life where there's actually something to think about, but the kind that just features wacky antics like Manabi Straight.

I guarantee though that my favourite genres are going to get nailed many times before this thread is up. Sigh....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 03:32   Link #18
Vagrant0

I assume you're only talking about anime that you'd semi-willingly watch, or have seen in the past... So will avoid mentioning things which I have no interest in ever seeing... God willing.

Shonen anime... But mostly only in those cases where it ends up being one insane powerup after another, when someone can drastically alter the landscape just from shouting, you just have to draw the line.

Mecha anime where a rookie pilot can defeat everyone.

Anything that's just too cute... I can understand some of it is pretty standard with anime, but that doesn't mean I want to become diabetic.

Drama/Romance anime, atleast the ones that don't break things up with some action or comedy every now and then. Still havn't gone through Maria Mite (despite the fact that it is part of popular cannon, and I have been pressured into watching it) because it's just...
Vagrant0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 04:26   Link #19
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
Romance is one I don't like although if there is romance here and there in an action/some other genre it's good but romance alone is boring.
Jechtsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 05:10   Link #20
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
My personal pet-peeves are Slice-of-Life and BoyLove/GirlLove anime.
hmmmmmm =3 djiiiiiiiiii
nah just kidding XD

as for my list, i cant stand series that are overly echi..
i mean like anime with just too much huge boobs etc.
Dragonauth of the Renesance i cant stand watching it because of the boobs
Gundam 00 i can live with because you dont see those characters all the time
but oversized and too echi shots just make me go @-@
harem anime is also a no.. unless it is a good series like Love Hina but other than that id ont recall ever watching one because i thought the storyline was too silly...

other things i cant stand are low budget mecha series..
sometimes 12 episodes can be good but there are times when i can just go o.o; wth.. i couldnt finish Bokurano cause i couldn't stand the art work in some scenes
Kannazuki was good in that sector

realistic things and sports are also on my detest things, like Initial D and Slamdunk..
i cant watch sports anime at all... it just doesnt interest me and doesnt give me the whoah vibe..

ooh yes and the main stream shounen...
sometimes its fun to watch, i really like One Piece but hate Naruto and Bleach but i guess its because of the humor that i still watch One Piece
but i simply hate the standard new enemy -> defeat -> train -> fight pre boss.. -> fight boss -> defeat -> sudden power up -> defeat or long battle -> more battle -> victory trail they use... not onyl that but fillers are also a major reason..
One Piece fillers i can stand but when Naruto had its 1 year fillers it was like rehab and i was clean and sober at the end of it without the urge to watch it any longer... with Bleach bount arc cured me but i wanted to watch the season that followed though soon after they had even more fillers and i stopped again
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote