Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 02:27   Link #61
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
These guys have been working on for the last five years or so, so now after they announce it and the reception to that seems to be lukewarm at best it must be disheartening.
Frankly, it's their own fault for sticking their heads into the sand. Which is about the level of ignorance and denial you'd need to realize that players are tired of the same old mechanics and design in a slightly new coat.

On housing, I'll repeat: If they'd just copied the standard Elder Scrolls method of housing and just have static houses you can buy and upgrade, there's no reason it would be too difficult. They're just tiny instances as it is now in Skyrim for pitty's sake.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 02:28   Link #62
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

^Now i'm regretting not playing TERA...

Anyway, back to TES online. Since all the skills are hotbar with cooldown. I wonder if we will have classes like Archer, Warriors, Mage and the like...

Wonder what is the effect of Archer's "kneeshot" skill then

Edit: on TERA, i take it back, my computer probably can't handle that level of graphics. Saw a screenshot of someone picking low resolution and it looks really average

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2012-05-08 at 02:49.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 03:06   Link #63
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Frankly, it's their own fault for sticking their heads into the sand. Which is about the level of ignorance and denial you'd need to realize that players are tired of the same old mechanics and design in a slightly new coat.

On housing, I'll repeat: If they'd just copied the standard Elder Scrolls method of housing and just have static houses you can buy and upgrade, there's no reason it would be too difficult. They're just tiny instances as it is now in Skyrim for pitty's sake.
Can't disagree there. There are a lot of things they coupld have imported from other games, or even from their own TES game. But they ignored it.

True, I loved EQ2's housing system. I had the best equipped slum around. /nod /nod.
Old 2012-05-08, 03:48   Link #64
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It also shows the risk of keeping a project secret until the final phases. At the current stage, there's probably not much they can do to change the project in the face of the backlash.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:56   Link #65
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Being an MMO is no longer an excuse for subpar graphics... it's just that the HERO engine which this game and TOR uses looks like shit and is horribly optimized, How can a Korean MMO that is over a year old with much less of a budget look 10x better?
Yeah... it never fails to astonish me how well Tera runs for how pretty it is. UE3 is a really standout graphics engine. SWTOR looked like shit and ran like shit even on a GTX 570.
Old 2012-05-08, 11:08   Link #66
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Yeah... it never fails to astonish me how well Tera runs for how pretty it is. UE3 is a really standout graphics engine. SWTOR looked like shit and ran like shit even on a GTX 570.
Yep, I guess it would be a fair excuse if they said "We didn't want to focus so much on graphics, the voice acting and story is the thing we wanted to work on the most" etc etc

But the bad optimizing throws that excuse into the ground.

I just got my gameinformer and the graphics do look cartoony, but they arent trash imo. what REALLY worries me is the gameplay.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2012-05-08 at 14:56.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 12:58   Link #67
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

So no one didn't noticed the last news.

Here the 3 factions :

Daggerfall Covenant

-Breton
-Orc
-Redguard

Aldmeri Dominion

-Altmer
-Bosmer
-Khajiit

Ebonheart Pact

-Dummer
-Nord
-Argonian

And according to the Last interview

There'll be a 100% solo campaign like the TES series.

Let's wait for more info ! E3 2012
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 13:44   Link #68
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

... While the Aldmeri dominion is mostly in line with lore, and the Daggerfall covenant understandable, the Ebonheart pact makes me go "whut?"

The three races that most commonly hate eachothers gut? A faction?
Old 2012-05-19, 15:33   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm so mixed on this notion, I'm going to shut my eyes and ignore all the noise until it actually releases and then I *might* look.
Old 2012-05-19, 15:42   Link #70
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
... While the Aldmeri dominion is mostly in line with lore, and the Daggerfall covenant understandable, the Ebonheart pact makes me go "whut?"

The three races that most commonly hate eachothers gut? A faction?
Hell, I brought that up before in this thread but no one commented on it... when I read it in the GameInformer article, I went "Well, going totally WoW on this."

I didn't really have high hopes for this game but still, this is kinda disappointing.
Old 2012-05-19, 16:01   Link #71
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The combat system is what bugs me the most. All recent MMO's have stumbled on the WoW style combat system which, frankly, most people have just grown tired off. Yet what the gameinformer article wrote and the screenshots showed was exactly that.

Now Ive been the first to say that the Elder Scrolls isn't known for it's amazing combat system, but to switch that out for a system most players really want to get rid of? The main complaint about SWTOR was "love the story, hate the combat" and it seems to be what most people are quitting for. If the Elder Scrolls follows the path of copy/pasting the WoW mechanics... then I'm sorry, but history has shown MMO's fail on that regard 90% of the time.

I wish they'd look at TERA instead. That game seems to be the exact opposite of most MMO complaints. People hate the quests, but love the combat. If Elder Scrolls Online just copied the TERA system and introduced a good Elder Scrolls story in it... that'd be an MMO worth playing.

As it stands though? WoW clone 55. Keeping an eye on it to see if things change, but not even remotely optimistic.
Old 2012-05-19, 20:04   Link #72
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
The combat system is what bugs me the most. All recent MMO's have stumbled on the WoW style combat system which, frankly, most people have just grown tired off. Yet what the gameinformer article wrote and the screenshots showed was exactly that.

Now Ive been the first to say that the Elder Scrolls isn't known for it's amazing combat system, but to switch that out for a system most players really want to get rid of? The main complaint about SWTOR was "love the story, hate the combat" and it seems to be what most people are quitting for. If the Elder Scrolls follows the path of copy/pasting the WoW mechanics... then I'm sorry, but history has shown MMO's fail on that regard 90% of the time.

I wish they'd look at TERA instead. That game seems to be the exact opposite of most MMO complaints. People hate the quests, but love the combat. If Elder Scrolls Online just copied the TERA system and introduced a good Elder Scrolls story in it... that'd be an MMO worth playing.

As it stands though? WoW clone 55. Keeping an eye on it to see if things change, but not even remotely optimistic.
55? You've been keeping count? I gave up around 10.

If ESO had TERA Gameplay and ES story? that would be a collectors edition without question.
Old 2012-05-29, 11:53   Link #73
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/28/ho...-at-my-hotbar/

Quote:
“Things like the interface is very minimalistic and it lets you concentrate on the world, not on the interface, so we made it feel much more like a console game from the interface side than an MMO, just for that reason, to make sure that everyone feels comfortable when they play it.” - Matt Firor
Very alarming. Makes me worry, I don't play console games, because I hate the slowness and the controls . They are making a MMO which is in a niche market for PC games, and trying to bring it out to people who don't play MMO's. I don't want to sound like a "Hater" or whatever, but this is pretty stupid.
Old 2012-05-29, 13:08   Link #74
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Given that the disastrous Skyrim interface was also a console style interface, your fears are hardly without reason.

If they want to make an interface where we look at the world more than the interface, the last thing they should do is use generic MMO combat. It's that type of system, with its healtbars and cooldowns and static combat, that encourages staring at your UI for maximum effect. After all, the mob isn't doing anything you have to watch out for, is it?

Speaking of which:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/25/ho...crolls-online/

Limited slots, first few weapon skills, then class skills and an ulti? Looks like they've been taking notes from Arenanet on how to fit Skyrim's system in the MMO system.

Well, that certainly simplifies combat... but if it's just limited the old tab targeting system as previously suggested that changes little. Does this mean they shifted gears to a more active combat system like GW2 or, dare I hope, TERA? Unsure and questionable. Still, a small glimmer of hope has appeared on the horizon. Let's see how long it last.
Old 2012-05-29, 15:16   Link #75
Destined_Fate

I wonder how much of the TES gameplay will be incorporated and work in an MMO setting. I'm going to wait it out because I'm a TES fan but I have my doubts that this can be pulled off. We all saw what happened when Bioware made SWTOR with the intention of it being a Mass Effect like MMO.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 15:47   Link #76
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Actually, Bioware came out from the start and said they weren't going to change squat as far as mechanics were concerned.

This is... slightly more encouraging.
Old 2012-06-21, 07:14   Link #77
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

ESO doesn't look so bad anymore. the combat is a mix of traditional MMO and skyrim/oblivion.

Old 2012-11-08, 10:07   Link #78
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Boom Shaka laka

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/08/th...-pvp-and-more/
Old 2012-11-08, 11:24   Link #79
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Seems like a huge improvement from the ideas they gave out when they first announced this. I'm regaining interest.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 12:06   Link #80
sa547
*Author

By the size of it... This really going to be big.