Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Video update on Skywind.
*snip*
Praise Vivec.

They made the Ashlands look good.

Massive projects like this rarely ever get done, but if there's *any* modding community capable of sustaining years of grind and still retaining fan enthusiasm, the TES community is it. Best of luck to these intrepid heroes.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 22:42   Link #3882
sa547
*Author

So the mod that shocked the player/modder community has spread out like wildfire. What it does is to modify the way TESV.exe allocates memory from the get-go, in bigger blocks (can also be configured), so judging from the testimonials, anyone who has 8gb or more -- and Steam-enabled Skyrim -- get to benefit from it by happily running even up to 250 mods at the same time.
Old 2014-01-20, 23:04   Link #3883
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Link where? *has 16gb of RAM*
Old 2014-01-21, 00:25   Link #3884
sa547
*Author

It's on the ENB website, if not the forum, otherwise there's at Phinix ENB and S.T.E.P.

For this to work, you need that your Skyrim be Steam-enabled, and with SKSE installed. I've been hearing news of modders pushing their ugrids to limits, with 250+ mods enabled and 2k textures, and lots of NPCs.
Old 2014-01-21, 18:23   Link #3885
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Will it make Skyrim run with less stutter?

I have 8 GB of RAM with a very good CPU and very good GPU. Will Skyrim run smoother, or is the occasional stutter just not going to go away (because I hear Skyrim is not coded well)?

Off topic, but what does "3DPD" mean?
Old 2014-01-21, 18:41   Link #3886
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

[offtopic]
3DPD = 3D Pig Disgusting

It's a term used by people who wholeheartedly prefer two-dimensional (2D) characters from games and anime to real-life (3D) individuals. "3DPD" refers to the said "real" people, with a connotation of disgust/loathing.

Let's just say that Keima Katsuragi from TWGOK would call the girls around him "3DPD", since he only has eyes for virtual girls...though to be fair, he's mellowed over time and would probably no longer use such a harsh word.

Note: this meme comes from /a/ and not from the Japanese boards. The meaning/context has kind of evolved over time.
[/offtopic]

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-01-21 at 18:52.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 21:52   Link #3887
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Ah, okay. Well, I love many great anime characters. I get the love for anime and game characters. But I like women who are real people, too. To stop trying at love with a real person is giving up on a romantic life.
Old 2014-01-21, 23:09   Link #3888
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Will it make Skyrim run with less stutter?

I have 8 GB of RAM with a very good CPU and very good GPU. Will Skyrim run smoother, or is the occasional stutter just not going to go away (because I hear Skyrim is not coded well)?
After playing for some 5 hours without interruption, the memory mod actually works. And this on a PC that's the minimum spec for modded Skyrim -- dual core, 4gb of system memory, 1gb of vram. Anyone with better PC specs than mine will have more benefits.

Before I used Sheson's supertweak, I used to experience CTDs/ILS, had framerates of between 18-22FPS, and often the game was laggy. It got so bad to the point that I installed GTA4 as a substitute.

With the memory mod installed, it was as if I was playing on Vanilla (non-modded, low res), but with a difference: 1k res textures, ENB at full blast, and 32FPS outdoors!

Be aware, however, there are many precompiled versions floating around right now, so you have to lurk and read carefully on the STEP, Nexus or Beth threads discussing this, on which ones that actually work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Off topic, but what does "3DPD" mean?
(OT) As what Renegade said, yes, real people or the real world. Specifically, real women.
Old 2014-01-21, 23:28   Link #3889
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Damn it, now I have an excuse to spend on more RAM.

*checks price*

No. No, no. I'm fine with 8.
Old 2014-01-22, 00:33   Link #3890
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Damn it, now I have an excuse to spend on more RAM.

*checks price*

No. No, no. I'm fine with 8.
Before I came across this mod, I was contemplating about buying more RAM, like upping to an 8gb kit from the current 2x4gb setup I have, but prices have skyrocketed (the Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 I bought back when I built my PC now costs twice).

Discovered this mod, installed it and had a great time.

And afterwards, didn't think about that upgrade. Instead I'd play again and wait till prices drop again.
Old 2014-01-22, 00:38   Link #3891
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Before I came across this mod, I was contemplating about buying more RAM, like upping to an 8gb kit from the current 2x4gb setup I have, but prices have skyrocketed (the Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 I bought back when I built my PC now costs twice).

Discovered this mod, installed it and had a great time.

And afterwards, didn't think about that upgrade. Instead I'd play again and wait till prices drop again.
Awesome. So even having 8GB benefits greatly from this.

Nice to know that. Thank you.
Old 2014-01-22, 02:04   Link #3892
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Luckily I got my 16gb before the price hike.
Old 2014-01-22, 04:27   Link #3893
sa547
*Author

Tested the most recent version of Sheson's memory mod, which came from Tase and another guy.

Although I felt a slight drop in FPS (between 5-10FPS, lower than last night's run) in some places, due in part that I installed Expanded Towns and Cities Complete and SFO Regular as part of performance testing, and which these mods usually eat up memory like crazy, there wasn't a CTD or ILS throughout the 3-hour session (judging from the timestamps on the Papyrus log).

Still, looks like I'll have to swap back SFO Lite in and use modular ETAC.
Old 2014-01-22, 16:50   Link #3894
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Anyone who wants more immersion in the game should try out Hold Border Banners. Its very simple, but feels like it should be there. Knowing which holds you are crossing into is really nice.
Old 2014-01-22, 23:13   Link #3895
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

I still haven't beat this game after 2 years. I spent so much time on side quests and randomly finding dungeons to loot from. It pretty much has infinite replay value. I'm currently playing the Dawnguard quests.

Sometimes the random dragon attacks annoy me though. It's like I'm not in the mood or something hehe
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 04:17   Link #3896
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Anyway greensoulreaper, I only completed the game a few months ago, I just kept on installing new quest mods. Then I would get burnt out and stop. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2014-01-23 at 20:33. Reason: Please discuss this via PM
Ak3mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 01:46   Link #3897
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Anyway greensoulreaper, I only completed the game a few months ago, I just kept on installing new quest mods. Then I would get burnt out and stop. Rinse and repeat.
You completed the Dawnguard and Dragonborn dlcs as well?

And yeah I do the same...play for a while...stop...and then come back to it after a few months to a year. That's why I'm saying I'll never finish this. XD
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 03:27   Link #3898
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Before I start a true playthrough, I'm waiting for Cerwiden Companion to update, but I fear that may be well and truly dead. No one's heard from Mujuro, the mod's author, or ThePoeticOne, Cerwiden's voice actress, in quite a while.
Old 2014-01-24, 03:43   Link #3899
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
You completed the Dawnguard and Dragonborn dlcs as well?

And yeah I do the same...play for a while...stop...and then come back to it after a few months to a year. That's why I'm saying I'll never finish this. XD
Well I guess I haven't really completed Dragonborn, but I have completed Dawnguard. I'm not continuing my Dragonborn playthrough because like I said I'm burnt out, and I got fustrated last time I played think it was because my mods were messing up, too many graphical mods.

Rising Dragon have you sent him a pm to check or anything?
Old 2014-01-24, 03:50   Link #3900
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I've posted a number of comments asking after him; haven't sent a PM just yet.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim