AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2011-02-19, 07:06   Link #1
sangofe

Top 10 oldest fansub groups still active?

Alright, so with active I mean releasing at least one episode per month in average.

The groups I know of that fit this description, and still are active, are:
1. Central Anime (??.??.1992)
2. ANBU (25.10.2001)
3. Live-Evil (24.11.2001)
4. AnimeOne (17.07.2002)
5. Kaizoku-Fansubs (15.11.2002)
6. TV-Nihon (05.04.2003)
7. Static Subs (08.07.2003)
8. SD Project (21.10.2003)
9. Saizen (09.07.2004)
10. Dattebayo (22.10.2004)

Last edited by sangofe; 2011-02-22 at 01:52.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 07:21   Link #2
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

Pretty interesting, even though I've only been in Saizen since 2008, I still feel sort of proud to be able to keep it kickin' and going. :P

Any groups we forgot?

Latest list:
1. Central Anime (??.??.1992)
2. Live-Evil (24.11.2001)
3. Kaizoku-Fansubs (15.11.2002)
4. TV-Nihon (05.04.2003)
5. Saizen (09.07.2004)
6. Anime-Destiny (07.12.2004)
7. Doremi (08.08.2005)
8. gg (11.10.2005)
(Updated 2013-10-09)

Last edited by juggen; 2013-10-09 at 04:44.
juggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 11:51   Link #3
asunder
the ancient biter

ANBU is actually from sometime around/before October 2001... the oldest online record i could find was here.

Central-Anime was a vhs fansub group before it started on the digi-subbing scene.

The Triad's alive but not exactly "active" ... I hope that changes when Kaiji S2 airs
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 15:39   Link #4
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

As for L-E, where I happen to work since a couple of years:

http://www.live-evil.org/history-of-live-evil

http://web.archive.org/web/200112040...live-evil.org/

http://www.envirosphere.com/groups.php?gs=27

So, rather mid-2001 than 2002, if I get it right?
Old 2011-02-19, 16:48   Link #5
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsiderPhlebas View Post
As for L-E, where I happen to work since a couple of years:

http://www.live-evil.org/history-of-live-evil

http://web.archive.org/web/200112040...live-evil.org/

http://www.envirosphere.com/groups.php?gs=27

So, rather mid-2001 than 2002, if I get it right?
Oh? I just went by the anidb dates.
Old 2011-02-19, 19:33   Link #6
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Alright, so with active I mean releasing at least one episode per month in average.

The groups I know of that fit this description, and still are active, are:
1. ANBU (21.04.2002)
2. Live-Evil (21.05.2002)
3. AnimeOne (17.07.2002)
4. Anime-kraze (27.08.2002)
5. Static Subs (08.07.2003)
6. SD Project (21.10.2003)
7. Central Anime (01.01.2004)
8. Anime-Destiny (07.12.2004)
9. Saizen (09.07.2004)
I wouldn't count Live-Evil and Anime-Kraze as "active". A-Destiny is sorta doubtful too.

L-E did release something the other day but the previous release before that was over two months ago.

A-Kraze is in a similar state of "activity" (if you can call it that) with three (3) episodes released since November last year; they haven't released anything by themselves (i.e. not in a joint) since 2009. I suspect "their" releases lately are onlymostly labeled as A-Kraze for political/historical reasons. It could also be argued that releasing episodes of a show that has been subbed by other groups for well over TWO YEARS does not make the group "active". (It's not a BD or DVD rip either, so you can't even consider it active as a ripping group.) Edit: the show in question is actually licensed and is being streamed by Viz and will be released on US DVD in March. lol.

A-Destiny was deadinactive (no releases) between 2009-10-30 and 2010-06-15; then dead again until they started releasing Bakuman in a joint with TMD, but all signs point to that release being mostly labeled A-Destiny for political reasons as well.

Edit edit: your sort order is bad, by the way. Dattebayo is older than A-Destiny and Saizen is older than both. AniDB uses day.month.year.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2011-02-19 at 19:50.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 19:43   Link #7
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunder View Post
ANBU is actually from sometime around/before October 2001... the oldest online record i could find was here.
ANBU actually existed as a internal group earlier than that I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
A-Destiny was dead (no releases) between 2009-10-30 and 2010-06-15; then dead again until they started releasing Bakuman in a joint with TMD, but all signs point to that release being mostly labeled A-Destiny for political reasons as well.
Actually, it was still alive. It just focused on scanlating for that period instead of fansubbing.

How many of these groups are still using any or a few of their original staff?

Last edited by bayoab; 2011-02-19 at 19:54.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 20:14   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Actually, it was still alive. It just focused on scanlating for that period instead of fansubbing.
oh ok

I think releasing an episode a month is a pretty bad definition of "active", though. Any three old schmucks can do that, no matter how retired and bitter they are. Here's my take on the list:

1. ANBU (21.04.2002)
So slowking.tiff that BDrip groups are frequently faster. Hence, nobody cares.

2. Live-Evil (21.05.2002)
Only subs ancient shit nobody cares about, and at a rate of one episode a quarter. Nobody cares.

3. AnimeOne (17.07.2002)
Actually subbed a weekly show (although it was beetrain shit) and finished it as late as autumn 2010. That's better than most of the others in this list, but still doesn't make them very relevant.

4. Anime-kraze (27.08.2002)
Manages (impressively, I might add) to be even more slowking.tiff.jpg.exe.bat.png.gif than ANBU. In fact they are so slow that they haven't even caught on to the fact that the one show they seem to be fansubbing right now is licensed in the US, with the first DVD coming out in less than a month from now. They just released the next to last episode, but at the rate they're going, Viz will have released all the DVD's before they're done with the last one.

5. Static Subs (08.07.2003)
Only subs shit shows, but they're popular shit shows, and they actually manage to have multiple projects going at once, even if they're p slow at it by today's standards. That alone makes them more relevant than pretty much anybody else on this list. At least people probably won't ask you "who?" when you mention the name.

6. SD Project (21.10.2003)
Technically sorta active, but only subs old shit nobody cares about or new remakes of old shit nobody cares about. Not very relevant.

Would be more relevant if they actually subbed anything weekly, especially since they can actually encode now. Not dead though, and older than dirt. You gotta give 'em some respect even if they're pretty far into the "who?" zone now.

8. Anime-Destiny (07.12.2004)
Doesn't seem to be very active in fansubbing, and Bakuman is a joke of a show that has already faded into filler obscurity. Not relevant.

9. Saizen (09.07.2004)
Sort of active and actually talks about picking up new shows, but unfortunately nobody cares about sports anime. Not relevant.

Used to be very relevant, but then they decided to only sub new shit nobody watches and old shit nobody cares about for some reason. Not relevant anymore.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 21:06   Link #9
sangofe

Quote:
I wouldn't count Live-Evil and Anime-Kraze as "active". A-Destiny is sorta doubtful too.

L-E did release something the other day but the previous release before that was over two months ago.

A-Kraze is in a similar state of "activity" (if you can call it that) with three (3) episodes released since November last year; they haven't released anything by themselves (i.e. not in a joint) since 2009. I suspect "their" releases lately are onlymostly labeled as A-Kraze for political/historical reasons. It could also be argued that releasing episodes of a show that has been subbed by other groups for well over TWO YEARS does not make the group "active". (It's not a BD or DVD rip either, so you can't even consider it active as a ripping group.) Edit: the show in question is actually licensed and is being streamed by Viz and will be released on US DVD in March. lol.

A-Destiny was deadinactive (no releases) between 2009-10-30 and 2010-06-15; then dead again until they started releasing Bakuman in a joint with TMD, but all signs point to that release being mostly labeled A-Destiny for political reasons as well.

Edit edit: your sort order is bad, by the way. Dattebayo is older than A-Destiny and Saizen is older than both. AniDB uses day.month.year.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I will have to modify the post.

Quote:
oh ok

I think releasing an episode a month is a pretty bad definition of "active", though. Any three old schm
9. Saizen (09.07.2004)
Sort of active and actually talks about picking up new shows, but unfortunately nobody cares about sports anime. Not relevant.
Okay, I will reply to this one since I have history with the group. It is actually very much active and old projects have gotten new staff, so things will be reviving, and has been okay lately. It is also absolutely not relevant if most people do not enjoy sports anime, as the people working on it do. I respect your opinions, however, I disagree with them, and since I started the topic, I can define what active means

Last edited by sangofe; 2011-02-20 at 16:58.
Old 2011-02-19, 23:02   Link #10
asunder
the ancient biter

Quote:

1. ANBU (21.04.2002)
So slowking.tiff that BDrip groups are frequently faster. Hence, nobody cares.
I refer to this as the curse of Menclave.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 00:44   Link #11
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
oh ok

Would be more relevant if they actually subbed anything weekly, especially since they can actually encode now. Not dead though, and older than dirt. You gotta give 'em some respect even if they're pretty far into the "who?" zone now.
Well, TheFluff, we have been releasing remasters of LOGH and touch weekly for the past 2 months or so. 4 episodes of LOGH one week and 6 of Touch the next. Though not new shows of course. And we were doing Oofuri - Natsu Hen weekly last year, followed by our version of Macross Frontier in the fall, which was pretty much weekly. Here's the link to all our nyaatorrent releases over the past year+ http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrents&user=71491. You can look at the dates and see we are quite active.

No idea what you mean by "who?".

We have been fansubbing since 1992 - so yes older than dirt.
Old 2011-02-20, 03:47   Link #12
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

Quote:
Huh? I don't know why I bother, but anyhow: We released eleven episodes during the last two months.
Old 2011-02-20, 04:34   Link #13
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

What about TV-Nihon?

They've been consistently active since 2003? Or even earlier maybe?

A lot of what they do is Sentai stuff, but I'd say they should count.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 05:28   Link #14
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Trust Fluffy to start flaming~

I thought the topic was oldest groups, not how relevant they are. After all, fansubbing isn't really all that relevant any more either.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 08:05   Link #15
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

If Central is still releasing stuff, they'd be the oldest fansubber still around as they were doing it during the VHS days, I remember watching their releases on VHS in high school. BOMBERRRRRR!

I feel old, can't believe I've been a fansubber for more than 10 years now, granted I really haven't done too much.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 13:33   Link #16
arcademaster

The Skaro Hunting Society was subbing in the VHS days too, only became active a year ago though after a huuuuge stretch of inactivity (and it's still the same person as back in the day, that's true dedication).
arcademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 17:06   Link #17
sangofe

Thanks for the replies, guys; the initial post has been edited.
Old 2011-02-20, 17:24   Link #18
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

I wouldn't count A-Kraze as active either, they just barely released something recently. Last releases were about this time last year? ^^;

AonE, Central and A-Destiny barely fits the description since they happen to release shit now after a long time of inactivity, and will probably end up going into hibernation soon. lol

Didn't know TV-Nihon still released, they pretty much belongs to this list if they do.

Also, who cares if the series are old? I have to say that most of today's shows aren't too tempting to watch, especially since about 70% are school-harem-dramas... :/
Old 2011-02-20, 19:24   Link #19
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggen View Post
I wouldn't count A-Kraze as active either, they just barely released something recently. Last releases were about this time last year? ^^;

AonE, Central and A-Destiny barely fits the description since they happen to release shit now after a long time of inactivity, and will probably end up going into hibernation soon. lol

Didn't know TV-Nihon still released, they pretty much belongs to this list if they do.

Also, who cares if the series are old? I have to say that most of today's shows aren't too tempting to watch, especially since about 70% are school-harem-dramas... :/
Excuse me, Juggen????

Since we have been constantly active since 1992(and got into digi-subbing in 2004), I think your statement is null and void. Looks more like a troll, since we have released stuff every year since that time and in nearly every month of that. i.e. we(Central Anime) were not inactive.
Old 2011-02-22, 00:53   Link #20
Dr. Casey

Oh no, TheFluff was banned.

Wonder if it's temporary or not.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote