AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

View Poll Results: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien ~Next Season~ - episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 14.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 19.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.47%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-21, 15:10   Link #21
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Anyone ever thought that ~Next Season~ isn't in regards to television season but the actual weather-related seasons? :P
Old 2007-12-21, 15:25   Link #22
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
... just because you interpreted that wrong doesn't mean the story is bad.
And it doesn't mean it is good atm either

The title doesn't bother me but the content. From what little hints we have seen now, it seems that the story has been going in the same way that it did for the TV series until when haruka wakes up. My nit pick is that I would have loved to see how taka dumps mitsuki (harthen!) for haruka to get to the place where he is now. It is a bit fragmented for the jump to be so sudden even if this is meant to be a new start.

And the painfully slow start and lacking "sense" in drama didn't help either >.>

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-21, 15:44   Link #23
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Isn't that basically what i just said ? You have assumed based on your preferences what the plot should be, and just because the writer does not agree with you it is bad. So instead of judging the show for what it is, you have prejudice against it because it is not what you wanted it to be.

I agree on the drama part though - i does come home as somewhat forced
Old 2007-12-21, 15:52   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Isn't that basically what i just said ? You have assumed based on your preferences what the plot should be, and just because the writer does not agree with you it is bad. So instead of judging the show for what it is, you have prejudice against it because it is not what you wanted it to be.

I agree on the drama part though - i does come home as somewhat forced
The problems isn't with the writer or even the director. It is with the story setup. It is where they start the story at and that i think is more of a production problem, the producers and company itself.

Also while the oav has a different director and writer form the tv series.
Old 2007-12-21, 16:50   Link #25
rg4619

Quote:
Judging by comments, the biggest gripe is a lack of context - that is, they've started in the middle of an alternate story without providing adequate introduction or buildup.

So yeah, it's ultimately a difference in expectations. Some viewers hoped for a strong standalone product or a new ending that meshes well with the TV series. However, the point of ~Next Season~ is just to complement the actual game, not to tell a story that stands on its own (and definitely not to complement the TV series - they're independent products based on a common property, much like the various flavors of Kimikiss). Here, the writers have worked out another conclusion under the assumption that viewers have already experienced the original stories. In fact, the same scenario will be included in the game's re-release (along with shorter scenarios for Mitsuki and Akane), so ~Next Season~ is technically an animated fandisk.

That said, lack of compelling content is a reasonable complaint.
Old 2007-12-21, 18:50   Link #26
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
In fact, the same scenario will be included in the game's re-release (along with shorter scenarios for Mitsuki and Akane), so ~Next Season~ is technically an animated fandisk.
Yes, this is what I was going to get at as well. It was already announced beforehand that this would be an animation adaptation of Haruka's game after-story. So yeah, it isn't a continuation of the anime, it's a continuation of the game (and they're just assuming that the viewers probably already played the game, and/or will be able to piece together what happened). Narumi's personality also would reflect the way it was at the end of Haruka's path in the game instead of at the end of the anime series. (I also noticed that the artstyle is closer that in the game.)

Basically, I think the problem is that people thought it was "the next season" of the anime, but it's "the next season" of the game that most here haven't played. Or you could say it's "the sequel to an alternate ending", which is why it feels (necessarily) disjointed.
Old 2007-12-21, 20:18   Link #27
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Well, the "~Next Season~" , while indicates a sense of continuation, appears to be nothing like that, and seems more like a parallel universe instead. So just treat it that way - same universe setting, but not the same. Don't get so focused on the label (which can mean anything)- watch the story instead the way the writer wanted it to be, instead of what you expected it to be. It seems to me that people are claiming this to be bad simply because it is not what they had assumed it has to be, not because it is actually bad in itself.

The way we saw Mitsuki's and Taka's past relationship makes me doubt even that is the same in this universe - we saw her supporting him, but we didn't see anything indicating they had a relationship. So for all we know this isn't even following the same events - just similar ones. Don't get so caught up in the somewhat misleading title that you condemn the show because of it - we were never promised a continuation, just a "Haruka route" ... just because you interpreted that wrong doesn't mean the story is bad.
We aren't. To quote you:
Quote:
nothing spectacular
Old 2007-12-22, 03:48   Link #28
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

As I see it, seeing as this release is for the fan service then it's assumed that these same viewers of the OVA already know exactly how the story progressed between the accident and Haruka's waking up, specifically over the Haruka path in the game.

Now remember folks, unless you are of the demographic in Japan that have purchased and played everything age has released on KimiNozo you just aren't exactly what they are writing for. These folks are the ones who's kept up with everything age has done, be it from the SFD release to other miscellaneous KimiNozo offerings.

Far as I am concerned, as a long-time fan of KimiNozo and owner of everything they've released, the OVA is doing a bang up job at conveying the Haruka side of the story.
Old 2007-12-22, 09:02   Link #29
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
I think Takayuki was a little too devoted to Haruka.
It'll be interesting what happens afterwards and I hope we see a little bit of Mitsuki.

The ending music was greaato.
Old 2007-12-22, 10:13   Link #30
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Personally i dont think any series, OVA or ONA could ever live upto the original. Ep1 was okay, though i have to admit it wasn't upto M.3.3.W's usual standard on the editing, but it was still watchable.

You also have to remember that the original was a bit jerky on the time frame at times aswell. I'm thinking that like the original they'll do a series of back flashes. Looking at Mitski and Haruka's confrontation, the good byes and so on.

I saw the end coming a mile away TBH. While Taka and Haruka may love each other, Taka is smothering her, which is giving her doubts. That was made clear when she asked him if he was doing it for her.

They'll have some time apart, few flash backs, a fight or two, Akane will beat them up and they'll get together again for a wedding in the final episode.

That said, since they releases Akane Mainex i lost all faith in the OVA's, so i went in not expecting much of anything, so i wasnt let down, rather lightly impressed.

They could also be pulling a Rental Magica, and airing the series out of synche just to be different lol

On the art style of it, have to admit i dont like it, the should of gotten the original crew together to do it, or waited till they could. Haruka looks weird to me, and Taka is just plain old creepy.

I also hope another group releases a sub, or M.3.3.W releases a version 2. Theirs wasnt TOO bad, but the subs were overly large and intrusive i felt. There was also a number of spelling and missing word mistakes. Nothing major, but i got the impression it was edited by someone with english as a second language. (Not a critercism as such, i mean hell i have english as a first language and i suck at it )

While the OVA's are being released, both this one, in feb and april, the mods should move this to the active series section, i mean they are active
Old 2007-12-22, 10:39   Link #31
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Now that I've rewatched, I can say for sure that taka dug his own grave here by being TOO nice (*shock* taka being too nice ). The feelings he has for haruki is positive but he is way to obsessed about wanting to spend all his time with her. Gosh he might as well be living in her house at this rate

Haruka needs free time to herself as well but taka just isn't giving her that chance because he "doesn't want to let go of her anyomre". Which is fine and dandy but he is being inconsiderate by being TOO considerate (talk about irony ^^).

Needs mitsuki to come in and slap him straight.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-22, 12:43   Link #32
Mentorian
Matsuri

I will be flamed for sure, but watching this OVA makes me want to have a "nice boat" ending for this entire thing.

Not that I am against Haruka's ending, but like everyone had said, the drama is not as powerful as the original, especially with Miyuki suddenly left without much explanation. At least, this OVA should provide some brief background on Miyuki's absence, whether she left after pulling that "all-nighter" with Shinji(?) or at which period, so at least we can have some continuity. Hopefully the second OVA will clarify this, though with the cliffhanger, it might focus less on Miyuki.

still I am crossing my finger and wishing for the best.

I miss MayuMayu theater.
Old 2007-12-22, 13:45   Link #33
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Hmm..seemed nice. But from what I could make out, in this arc, its as if Takayuki and Miyuki were very close, but they never got romantically involved. I think the first series was done amazingly well with no sex scene lookin out of place. And if here the premise is that Miyuki and Takayuki never really got into a relationship, then i guess i can accept this arc. Otherwise it would be a real piss off to see Miyuki shafted like this.
Old 2007-12-22, 15:13   Link #34
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Painful. In a bad way. That is all I could rank this. The original series already burned an impression in me that I could never forget. It was the best anime I've ever seen in over 20 years of anime viewing. I will not be continuing this.
Old 2007-12-22, 16:41   Link #35
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Sorry for the lame question
I'm kinda of forgetful of the original series and the game

What is the promise Mitsuki talked about in the beggining of the OAV, on that cell phone message?
Old 2007-12-22, 19:00   Link #36
Gameboiye
Big Reader/Small Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
Sorry for the lame question
I'm kinda of forgetful of the original series and the game

What is the promise Mitsuki talked about in the beggining of the OAV, on that cell phone message?
Yeah I'd like to know too, I can't remember.
Old 2007-12-22, 19:57   Link #37
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I think it's too early to make judgments regarding the whole plot and whatnot of the series. The *next season* part confuses me, especially because I thought Takayuki and Mitsuki got married at season 1's ending... However, I'm sure the new staff will cook something up. Btw... Does anyone like the different character designs? I like the old ones better..

Edit: Actually, are the character designs different? It's been a while, but I feel that the characters indeed DO look different in certain aspects.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2007-12-22, 21:40   Link #38
Zippicus

I thought this was pretty decent. I'll definitely check out the rest of them as they come out. I think it's interesting that they would use OVA's to explore other character paths, I wish more shows would do this kind of thing.
Old 2007-12-22, 22:15   Link #39
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Maybe this is my Haruka-fanboy bias talking, but I can die happy now. I don't even care if they both end up alone. Seeing them together one last time washed away the year's worth of pain that the tv series created for me. Haruka is, as always, my goddess . Takayuki is, as always, screwing up . I was going to give this a 10, but I docked a point for the lack of Mitsuki. Which I find strange, because I've hated her for so long. I guess it's the lack of closure. I dislike her, but I still think her character deserves closure. I have no idea how the OVA series is going to end. Going into it, I was positive it would be a TakayukixHaruka ending. But now, it looks like it could go either way.
Old 2007-12-23, 00:24   Link #40
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Wow Im actually surprised at how many people were disappointed. What exactly did you think you were going to get? neverEVER trust an anime title also that giant OVA in the title should have given something away. Also, it was mentioned that this would be game adaptation of Harukas route not a continuation of the original series.

Over all the beginning was not bad but not great either i gave it a solid 7. I was a little taken aback by Takayuki's personality it was a bit much to swallow. Haruka's personality was right on que and was consistent with a person trying to get their life back on track. Another point I also enjoyed was seeing the nervousness Haurka showed when during this like crossing the street i thought that added a bit of realism . Although i was a Mitsuki fan from season 1 i loved Haruka just as much. I always thought she deserved her own route.

The very end surprised me as i did not expect Haruka to drop a bomb like that in episode 1. I guess she felt like Takayuki was putting his life on hold for her or maybe she felt stifled by all his attention. Whatever it was Haruka is obviously having reservations about the whole relationship. I noticed that sever people used the phrase "You sure are loved". Each time it was said she looked down as if it was painful to hear. Even during dinner with her father showing Takayuki so much affection she again looked down.

Im not sure where they are headed but im sure they will use Mitsuki as a jump start for somemore drama. Though we might not see it right away since apparently she has left town. The message she left was kind of cryptic however. I will keep my promise so let me keep the ring a little longer. Now its been a while since im seen season 1 but i dont remember any type of promise like that. This could be a new promise introduced for the OVA or it could be that Takayuki asked for the ring back oh well patience is virtue.