AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-07-30, 10:54   Link #541
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In comparing the Macross 7 to the Galaxy (Macross 21?) I think they refitted their ship a lot. THe top piece looks like it was a New Macross-class ship, but they redesigned the flight deck and reversed it's operations. The flight deck is facing aft. Or at least they built up the bow area and reversed the entryway for the hanger.

She also looks like they built up the rest of the ship around the Macross Galaxy...SDF-2 style? She might not be able to fully detach anymore, or else she has additional hull around her dockng port now. (almost looks like it could be the head of a dragon)

It is probably planned that none of the Macross Galaxy shots are very clear. There is always someting in the way.
Old 2008-08-01, 00:07   Link #542
ReddyRedWolf

The VF-25S without Armor Pack.

Antares Squadron Battroid mode.

The green VF-27 doesn't appear to be different from Brera's except color.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 09:09   Link #543
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

We can note that the VF-25 may be capable of barrier shield. However we don't know if this is due to the armored pack or if it's something built into the base of the 25.

I'm gonna say it's part of the armored pack.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 11:40   Link #544
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

squaresphere, the pic above you seems to show that Ozma lost his armored pack after taking the hit from the Red. So the Red's main gun destroyed his armored pack?
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 12:30   Link #545
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Nope if you rewatch the scene you'll see that the shot from the red only destroys one of the boosters from the pack. Ozma ejects the rest of the armor when he goes on his knife charge.
Old 2008-08-03, 22:25   Link #546
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So who designs a fighter that can take a full on capital ship killing blast....and not a capital ship that can take said blast with ease?
Old 2008-08-03, 22:34   Link #547
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So who designs a fighter that can take a full on capital ship killing blast....and not a capital ship that can take said blast with ease?
Think about it, in real life, a fighter can easily take out a ship's bridge if it struck at the right angle, provided of course that it first survive a series defenses including CIWS(es).

Although we actually do not know if a full blast would be able to penetrate the bridge. However, even with the best results, the crew would still have to brace for an immediate impact.

Nonetheless, the original Macross shown us that barrier systems could be concentrated on any point of the ship.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 22:34   Link #548
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
We can note that the VF-25 may be capable of barrier shield. However we don't know if this is due to the armored pack or if it's something built into the base of the 25.

I'm gonna say it's part of the armored pack.
I was thinking that the barrier was part of Quarter's defences. Ozma was pretty close to the bridge after all
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-04, 00:10   Link #549
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh I can understand a fighter being able to destroy a capital ship if used properly...it is the fighter being able to survive a hit from a large caliber weapon that I'm questioning. It's like an F-18 surviving a direct hit form a 5 inch round today (or if that was the main capital ship killing battery from a capital ship, more like a F6F Hellcat taking a 14 inch shell from a Japanese Battlecruiser to shield an Essex-class carrier)

That might be an exaggeration, but that is the impression I'm getting from the talk.

If this was instead of capital ship killing cannon based on a fighter's frame that Ozma intercepts, then it isn't quite so exaggerated. Second World War equivalent would be a 37mm cannon strapped onto an airframe (it was done), and some fighters of the era could take a hit from that. (it took a 5 inch explosive round to stop an aircraft dead in the sky as the Americans found out the hard way against Japanese kamikaze.)
Old 2008-08-04, 09:29   Link #550
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

hmm... well the "face" on the Quarter is transparent most of the time, however when it goes into battle/transforms it become orange.

My though is this is probably an active barrier layer, otherwise why not have the "face" orange all the time.

It could have been the "face" was charging up, and while normally it could take a shot like that, but only when fully charged.
Old 2008-08-04, 16:25   Link #551
Zhaozhou

Maybe the Quarter could have taken the hit, maybe not. Even Ozma's VF got damaged. The crew didn't have spacesuits, so they could have died if the glass shattered even a bit. Ozma risked everything to save them.
Zhaozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-04, 16:44   Link #552
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Good point. Why aren't they wearing space suits?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-04, 17:19   Link #553
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Good point. Why aren't they wearing space suits?
It does get in the way. Besides, they do have artificial gravity devices.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-04, 17:43   Link #554
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Sure, it gets in the way. So does anoxia. There is no task the ship crew has to do during battle they can't do in those fancy, slim space suits the pilots wear.

What does artificial gravity have to do with the likelihood of losing atmosphere?
Old 2008-08-04, 17:44   Link #555
Tak

Quote:
What does artificial gravity have to do with the likelihood of losing atmosphere?
More cost-effective than having suits for everyone.

- Tak

Old 2008-08-04, 17:48   Link #556
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

No, see, the suits is for people to be able to breath. Artificial gravity (or any kind of gravity) is not an adequate substitute for breathable air.
Old 2008-08-04, 17:48   Link #557
Tak

Quote:
No, see, the suits is for people to be able to breath. Artificial gravity (or any kind of gravity) is not an adequate substitute for breathable air.
Well of course the ship would have artificial oxygen to circulate. That is still more cost-effective than having suits for everyone.

- Tak

Old 2008-08-04, 17:53   Link #558
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well of course the ship would have artificial oxygen to circulate.
Until some rat bastard damages the hull. Or that fancy window they have on the bridge. You know what's cost effective? Not losing a dozen of crewmen every time your ship gets banged up a bit in battle and springs a leak. A warship should not go down because of some superficial damage.

(And by the way, what's artificial oxygen?)

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2008-08-05 at 06:46.
Old 2008-08-04, 18:05   Link #559
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I'll quickly point out that most of the flight deck crew are wearing space suits. Maybe the thought is that any attack on the bridge would never cause light damange so why waste money on a maybe

I for one would like bridge bunnies in those slim flight suits, I'm sure Wilder would agree. On the flip side, I DON'T WANT to see Bobby in one *shudder*
Old 2008-08-04, 18:26   Link #560
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A warship would normally have either an armored command center or some sort of blast shield (or just an energy shield) over the windows...if they aren't in fact some kind of transparent armor.

Now in some universes, a crew that expects to be in combat a lot, their uniforms are spacesuit capable. All they require is a helmet to autoseal it (see Space Battleship Yamato. Their uniforms could not take hard vaccum for long, nor was there much of an external air supply, but it could be enough for emergencies....even if they were bell-bottoms).

However, standard science fiction spacecraft (of civilizations that have be using safe spaceship for years) the crews where normal clothing on duty, even in combat, unless commanded to wear something else (radiation suits at the like). So "confentional wisdom is not what you would call common in most space operas.