AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 30 19.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 36.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 53 33.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 9.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-06, 10:51   Link #41
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

My vote's 5. I'm very disappointed with the episode -- and it has nothing to do with me already having read this chapter either. Like others have noted above, the pacing and storyboarding were badly off-key, with the action sequences stunted by poorly paced dialogue.

Worse, I wouldn't have minded the dialogue and exposition, had the voice-acting not been so badly directed. Where's the fear, the anxiety and tension? I could neither sense nor feel any such emotion in the voices. It should have been a gripping episode from start to finish, but all I felt was nothing but a load of "ho-hum, oh I see, so that's the power of an Awakened Male, hmm, how interesting."

Helen's right there, standing next to Deneve when her arm was suddenly got ripped off. For all intents and purposes, it's as though Deneve had suddenly been killed in a blink of an eye. Instead of cries of anguish, all I see and hear is a matter-of-fact reaction from Helen, as though nothing big had happened.

Miria's reaction to the sight of her team members being struck down within a few seconds was similarly deadpan and totally lacking in energy. It didn't help that the BGM, which I haven't been very impressed with since the first episode, was just as weak here.

By the time the Clare made her move, I was already too bored with the episode to care how good she was.

*Sigh*. Ah well. Hopefully this was just a one-off and things would get better in the next few episodes.
Old 2007-06-06, 11:05   Link #42
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Well, my take is these people are seasoned warriors who are accustomed to death all around them, so maybe Helen is being matter-of-fact seeing Deneve got clobbered. Just maybe.

Same goes for Miria, who maybe have witnessed so many deaths of her comrade in arms, so maybe she is not surprised at how things turn out. Afterall, all Claymore is in dangerous work and death is very close so after time they will develop certain detachment to combat and death.

I personally knew some military and law enforcement personnel who developed such detachment to deaths that might struck other people as inappropriate. It might seem as resigned look, or as you said, totally lacking in energy.

I would characterize the quotes in the episode as being laconic, trying to evoke the Spartan ideal of warrior talk.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2007-06-06 at 11:16.
Old 2007-06-06, 11:51   Link #43
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Helen's right there, standing next to Deneve when her arm was suddenly got ripped off. For all intents and purposes, it's as though Deneve had suddenly been killed in a blink of an eye. Instead of cries of anguish, all I see and hear is a matter-of-fact reaction from Helen, as though nothing big had happened.
If Helen behave that way, I doubt that she might had a hard time surviving this far. For Claymore, that act wasn't professional at all. In Ep2, Clare could kill her closed friend without hesitation and didn't shed any tear either. Crying over your dead friend while in battle was a totally suicidal. In fact, Helen wasn't that emotionless. But instead of crying, she pissed so much that she immediately striked back that Awaken by herself.

Quote:
Miria's reaction to the sight of her team members being struck down within a few seconds was similarly deadpan and totally lacking in energy.
That's what you called a professional leader. In the most crisis situation, if your leader cannot even hold her consciousness then your squad will be doomed in no time.

I also agree with stormy001_M1A2, I don't feel that it's off paced either.

By the way, when that Awaken attacked Helen's back. Helen sleeves were wrong colored. Do you know what I mean? The pace isn't really a problem here. But at least I could enjoy the show so I didn't really care.

Last edited by zato_1one; 2007-06-06 at 13:37.
Old 2007-06-06, 11:57   Link #44
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

The sub is out. Courtesy from our friendly translators.
Old 2007-06-06, 13:25   Link #45
Mez

agree with some of the other people in the thread, wasn't a bad episode but definitely could have been executed better, the pacing did seem awkward at times. but still it wasnt too bad, just maybe because expectations have been set higher for this show since the previous few episodes have been very good.
Old 2007-06-06, 13:42   Link #46
Mandrake

pacing can be controlled by music, and the musical direction for certain pieces are terrible. It looks like they have not enough music source material to work with imo.
Old 2007-06-06, 13:54   Link #47
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
My vote's 5. I'm very disappointed with the episode -- and it has nothing to do with me already having read this chapter either. Like others have noted above, the pacing and storyboarding were badly off-key, with the action sequences stunted by poorly paced dialogue.

Worse, I wouldn't have minded the dialogue and exposition, had the voice-acting not been so badly directed. Where's the fear, the anxiety and tension? I could neither sense nor feel any such emotion in the voices. It should have been a gripping episode from start to finish, but all I felt was nothing but a load of "ho-hum, oh I see, so that's the power of an Awakened Male, hmm, how interesting."

Miria's reaction to the sight of her team members being struck down within a few seconds was similarly deadpan and totally lacking in energy. It didn't help that the BGM, which I haven't been very impressed with since the first episode, was just as weak here.

By the time the Clare made her move, I was already too bored with the episode to care how good she was.

*Sigh*. Ah well. Hopefully this was just a one-off and things would get better in the next few episodes.
but from another point of view, we know that Helen and Deneve have been friends for quite a while. How can Helen not know that Deneve can regenerate her arm?
Old 2007-06-06, 14:14   Link #48
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
but from another point of view, we know that Helen and Deneve have been friends for quite a while. How can Helen not know that Deneve can regenerate her arm?
She probably does know.

But you have to put yourself in her shoes.

One moment your best friend is standing next to you and suddenly she drops into a deep cayon minus an arm. And you see the one who attacked her standing in front of you while chewing on her missing arm.

I am sure you would get mighty upset also

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-06-06 at 14:26.
Old 2007-06-06, 14:15   Link #49
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Also, Claymores who go all emotional whenever they lose a comrade won't last long.
Old 2007-06-06, 14:24   Link #50
zetsumei

Quote:
The sub is out. Courtesy from our friendly translators.
WOOT! Can't wait to download it!
Old 2007-06-06, 14:32   Link #51
Azure King
Snr Spammer

Subs are out

w00t w00t !!

i'm quite speechless, another awsome episode

Spoiler for epi 10:
Old 2007-06-06, 14:34   Link #52
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

Donīt know. Rubel is the one that knows more of this.
Old 2007-06-06, 14:35   Link #53
Shiori-chan

nice episode, love clare fighting and dodging
and azure king i think not but then again what does ranking mather ^^
Old 2007-06-06, 15:05   Link #54
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well, i'm a bit late today, but i gave this episode a 9.
I am really very satisfied with how they pulled of this rather dialogue heavy manga episode. Lots of nice animation and the mood was just right.

I don't think it could have been realized any other way without withholding on certain dialogue bits. In this case, there's lots of expository material for future stuff that just can't be omitted.

I can't really relate to some of the complaints mentioned by other people here. But that's beside the point. I can't argue about every subjective opinion^^

Galatea was quite well done as well. She did sound a bit more mature than i had first anticipated, but overall i'm pleased. Fits her quite well indeed.
She doesn't sound "retarded" but rather calm, focused and superior. Like, you can feel a certain competence flowing from her composed observance there.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:10   Link #55
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Hm. I'd say Galatea sounds detached and halfway to apathetic. The events in the mountain clearly aren't her problem.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:17   Link #56
SimplyEd
Claytard

Maybe it would help if manga viewers would try to forget what they know about Galatea and just take her behaviour at this moment into account.

Right here, right now, she professionally observes. So, your assessment fits her actions just fine.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:50   Link #57
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Galatea is observing from far and she is concentrating on reading the long range engagement so it does tax her ability to be more natural in speech?

Plus the complaints about pacing is off, not all viewers read the manga and some explanation needed to inform people what is going on in the background.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:54   Link #58
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Ya' know, I'm wondering if Clare will stay the lowest ranked Claymore for the rest of the series. I haven't read the manga to this point and this episode had me wondering if that's the case. It would be refreshing to see her as the "dead last" character; not caring about her status and only focusing on the goals she considers important.

Also, maybe it's better that she has a small Yoki to compete with the Awakened Beings? I know that she can emit a large amount but her compression skills are awesome. Clare definitely is following in Teresa's footsteps.

That's what I like about this series. Strength isn't just based on the amount of Yoki a creature has but manipulation of Yoki plays a big role in it too.

Anyway, I liked this episode. Clare showed those other Claymores what she's all about.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:58   Link #59
Mandrake

If I were you, I would worry more why those claymore's were sent to fight that thing in the first place. It certainly freaked Maria out...and the man in the town said no other claymore that came, ever returned.
Old 2007-06-06, 16:02   Link #60
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think the pacing was that off. The Awakened Being clearly enjoyed mindgames, and giving the others the time to be afraid. To realise how much in over their heads they were. That's why he gave them the leisure to talk.
Closed Thread