AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-12-20, 23:27   Link #401
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As far as I can tell, both America and Japan have the same two slim pin sockets and voltage anyways, I use the same adapter for both countries when using a UK device. It shouldn't be too much of an issue compared to the UK. >.>
Slight correction. The voltage and frequency (if in the east or Kantou area) are different. Japan (East) is at 50 Hz, and Japan (West) is at 60 Hz; the voltage for the entire country is 100V. The U.S. is at 120V and 60 Hz.

I didn't see any problems plugging in my U.S.-bought stuff into an electrical socket and then using them, but I was always careful about not keeping things plugged in all the time. Electronics with AC/DC converters like a PC or a game player should be able to take the change, but read the details, if they are on the converter, carefully.

The outlets in Japan is the slim kind that you might not see often now in the U.S. The plug's blades are both in the same rectangular shape, and there isn't a ground pin. You may or may not need a socket converter for your stuff when coming from the U.S., and there are a number of places that you can buy one in Japan should you find out only when you arrive.

Some details that look to be accurate.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 14:31   Link #402
lixuelai

I spent last summer on a study abroad in Kanazawa. Never knew it is actually on people's itinerary when they visit Japan It is pretty far from Tokyo and Osaka (aka 99% of Japan lol). It was and is still an important cultural center though.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 00:29   Link #403
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
I spent last summer on a study abroad in Kanazawa. Never knew it is actually on people's itinerary when they visit Japan It is pretty far from Tokyo and Osaka (aka 99% of Japan lol). It was and is still an important cultural center though.
It's rather isolated to start with, no Shinkansen being the top reason.
Old 2008-12-30, 06:48   Link #404
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
What surprised me when I went there was the downtown area. It reminded me a bit of Kyoto's Kawaramachi, but glitzier. It even had a pedestrian scramble that looked like Shibuya's (the 109 building nearby added to the effect). All the residential areas outside of that bit seemed much less imposing, so to me, it appeared that most of it had been built for the sake of the tourists. (Because as we all know, you just can't pack your bags and go traveling if you don't have all the shopping options you do back home, right?)
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 00:44   Link #405
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
I'm looking at taking a trip to Japan this summer (yes, lucky me. ) and I'm wanting to bring along a bunch of my electronic toys. But I'm concerned whether or not I'll need a travel adapter to use my devices (chargers, laptop, etc) over there. Anyone know if I can just take something I use here in the US and just plug it in over there without any conversion and use it as is? I did some searching already, but nothing conclusive came up saying yes or no. From what I saw it *looks* that way, but I'd rather be 100% certain, rather than get there, plug something in, and watch it go poof, or even possibly not be able to plug it in at all.
On vacation in Kyoto a couple years back, I plugged in my laptop, electric razor, Nintendo DS charger, and digital camera charger into Japanese plugs with no problems at all. I'd recommend going to Japan in the fall if you can though, just because the fall color in Japan is just awesome--there's some good pics of fall in Kyoto on this guy's blog:
http://regex.info/blog/category/japan/fall-colors
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 14:51   Link #406
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
On vacation in Kyoto a couple years back, I plugged in my laptop, electric razor, Nintendo DS charger, and digital camera charger into Japanese plugs with no problems at all. I'd recommend going to Japan in the fall if you can though, just because the fall color in Japan is just awesome--there's some good pics of fall in Kyoto on this guy's blog:
http://regex.info/blog/category/japan/fall-colors
Yo, don't forget to suggest living in Kyoto rather than Osaka or Tokyo, because if you go to one of those big cities your experiences has already been documented in the movie Lost in Translation.
Old 2009-02-09, 18:50   Link #407
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So, I'm going at the end of March - got an amazing deal and finally living out the dream. Yes my view is romanticized and I have no doubt I'll be disappointed by some of it - but I don't really care, I just want to live it and experience it. What you recommend for a week in Tokyo and environs as far as otaku-centric sightseeing? I have plenty of ideas for general interest stuff (I'm just as obsessed with history, nature and art, so no problem there) but I'm looking for the can't miss pop culture spots. I could easily spend two days retracing the rail journey and locations from Byōsoku 5 CM and have a good time, but I want more than that!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 19:14   Link #408
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So, I'm going at the end of March - got an amazing deal and finally living out the dream. Yes my view is romanticized and I have no doubt I'll be disappointed by some of it - but I don't really care, I just want to live it and experience it. What you recommend for a week in Tokyo and environs as far as otaku-centric sightseeing? I have plenty of ideas for general interest stuff (I'm just as obsessed with history, nature and art, so no problem there) but I'm looking for the can't miss pop culture spots. I could easily spend two days retracing the rail journey and locations from Byōsoku 5 CM and have a good time, but I want more than that!
Well, I went to Tokyo for a couple weeks so I'm feeling all smug and ready to reply to this.

You'll want to dedicate about a lot of time to Akihabara. If you've only got a week you should wake up early, get on the train, and spend the day walking around. The best places there are undoubtedly Toranoana and Don Quixote, and basically everything else you can find yourself if you really look closely. See if you can find the 2ch goods stores. This is obvious, but ignore the English speaking cafes and stores because they are aimed towards clueless "Fujiyama, geisha, Zen" foreigners. Everyone's got a favorite maid cafe. Mine is Schatzkiste but it's closing permanently on March 15th. It looks like Miko-san Cafe might be closed too, which is a damn shame (for me) (because I have a fetish). You might want to try the Don Quixote cafe, although it has none of the pure class and creativity of those two.

Ignore Ikebukuro unless if you are an otomen.

Most of the doujinshi fairs are in Tokyo. Fairs occur on almost every weekend in Japan and if you only go to Comiket you are missing out on real doujinshi culture. Go to http://ketto.com/ a week before you leave and find out what's good. They generally cost $10 or so to enter, and even if you don't buy anything you may be treated to cosplay, copibon, and other such fun stuff. Most of these are NOT in Akiba so plan ahead. This is also a fun chance to get to be a foreigner who stands out, because on the streets of Tokyo or in a cafe you are generally considered an irritating tourist who can't speak the language, but if you go to a doujin fair some people can be all like

If you are up for a local trip the Ghibli Museum is the most obvious thing to do. You need to reserve tickets about a month in advance. In order to get in you will have to find a Lawson near your hostel and ask the cute Japanese girl at the counter how to buy museum tickets. Don't get nervous! If you're not going to be in Japan for a month you have to buy tickets through JTB.

If you actually have the time to enjoy Japan on non-otaku merits-- and if you're anything like me you will get tired of Tokyo culture within 24 hours-- you should take a ride to Kyoto, which has like a dozen World Heritage sites, and Nara, where you can act out that scene from Lucky Star. Kyoto cafes are way better than maid cafes, especially if you know a little Japanese. Kyoto and Nara prefecture have the most beautiful tourist attractions in Japan if you can find anyone knowledgeable about the area. If you're planning on leaving Tokyo buy a Japan Rail Pass BEFORE you leave, and when you get to Japan keep that thing safe and don't leave it in your pants pocket when you wash your clothes, because they won't give you a new one.

Last edited by Shii; 2009-02-09 at 19:25.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 19:25   Link #409
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks for the good advice. I'm thinking hard about a rail pass - only thing is, my cheap (cheap!) deal includes 7 nights at a pretty nice hotel in Shibuya, so I'm reluctant to spend a lot on overnights outside the city. Day trips for sure and maybe one (max two) overnights, as paying for two rooms can add up fast. Is Kyoto feasible as a day trip? I know it can be done logistically, but is it worth it? I hate the idea of missing Kyoto but I don't want to do even worse by shortchanging it. I'm also thinking of Kamakura and Hakone as day trip options, though Hakone looks like another one better with an overnight.

As for Tokyo itself, yes, I'm toying with the Ghibli Museum - worth it, in your opinion? Obviously I'll hit Akiba and try and get to a meido cafe and a doujinshi fair for sure. I'm also up for an onsen visit (how can I visit Japan without the obligatory hot springs episode) and I thought Hakone might be good for that...
Old 2009-02-09, 19:30   Link #410
Shii
*Fansubber

Yeah, Kyoto is more like a weeklong excursion. It is utterly awesome but I would feel bad if you had to rush through it and missed, say, Kiyomizu-dera, or Fushimi Inari. Hakone, on the other hand, is a tourist town... I've never been there but I'm guessing you could spend one night and get back to your hotel.

As for Tokyo itself, yes, I'm toying with the Ghibli Museum - worth it, in your opinion?

It's very small, so you shouldn't expect Disneyworld, but it's an extremely well-put-together museum if you're willing to suspend feelings of childishness and enjoy Ghibli. I enjoyed the movie. Also, it only takes three hours at most to look through, and if you're smart you can take a walk through the surrounding park as well. It's a nice break from Tokyo.
Old 2009-02-09, 20:01   Link #411
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii View Post
Yeah, Kyoto is more like a weeklong excursion. It is utterly awesome but I would feel bad if you had to rush through it and missed, say, Kiyomizu-dera, or Fushimi Inari. Hakone, on the other hand, is a tourist town... I've never been there but I'm guessing you could spend one night and get back to your hotel.

As for Tokyo itself, yes, I'm toying with the Ghibli Museum - worth it, in your opinion?

It's very small, so you shouldn't expect Disneyworld, but it's an extremely well-put-together museum if you're willing to suspend feelings of childishness and enjoy Ghibli. I enjoyed the movie. Also, it only takes three hours at most to look through, and if you're smart you can take a walk through the surrounding park as well. It's a nice break from Tokyo.
So let me put it this way - if you had two days and two days only in Kyoto and had to really bite the bullet, what would you do? As for the Ghibli Museum, I've been leaning towards going all along, and probably will end up doing so.
Old 2009-02-10, 03:36   Link #412
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
So let me put it this way - if you had two days and two days only in Kyoto and had to really bite the bullet, what would you do?
OK, I'm not necessarily recommending this, because while it is physically possible to visit the necessary parts of Kyoto in 2 days, it is not easy. It would also take a huge bite out of your time in Akihabara. But I am up for a challenge for some reason.

edit: This post was a little over the top, so I saved it here instead: http://shii.org/knows/Kyoto

Last edited by Shii; 2009-02-10 at 23:49.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 09:53   Link #413
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

I'm from Chubu, really [Shima, Mie], so I don't think I can really be very biased here

But ANYWAYS. I don't really agree with spending a WHOLE week in Tokyo. 2-3 days should max it. I think you can do this: Buy a Japan Rail Pass, fly in from Kansai Airport and leave via Narita. I say so because the queue immigration for arrival in Narita for foreigners is very long, more so than Kansai. But it's not where you want to be flying back from, since duty-free is [almost] non-existent and airport tax is super-high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii View Post
Places you will sadly miss: Saihou-ji, Byoudou-in, Kouzan-ji, most of the cafes. It's OK, I missed these things too.
Fine to miss, really. Not worth the time.

Places you can feel free to miss: Imperial Palace, Ginkakuji, Kinkakuji, Ninnaji, Hieizan, Daikakuji, Nijojo, Heian Jingu, Ujigami Jinja Shimogamo Jinja, Nishi and "Higashi" Hongwanji. These places are for scrubs. (Note: I'm betting if any Kyoto residents read this they will hate me)
Places to loathe: Kyoto Tower[/QUOTE]

AH. Agree with all EXCEPT that I feel that you can drop Kyoto ALTOGETHER.
I'd agree with Shii for the Tokyo part... but let's go thru the recommendations, yes?

[QUOTE]
Quote:
You'll want to dedicate about a lot of time to Akihabara. If you've only got a week you should wake up early, get on the train, and spend the day walking around. The best places there are undoubtedly Toranoana and Don Quixote, and basically everything else you can find yourself if you really look closely. See if you can find the 2ch goods stores. This is obvious, but ignore the English speaking cafes and stores because they are aimed towards clueless "Fujiyama, geisha, Zen" foreigners. ...
^^ The truth. You'd want to try the first/second train. Really, because the trains get packed very easily after 7. The worst is on the Yamanote line. [It's famous for a reason]

Quote:
Ignore Ikebukuro unless if you are an otomen.
NO!Although it's aimed at otome, it's not too bad, really. And since it's about 200m only, it's not too long and can be easily fitted into plan. Just avoid the after-work hour[s].

In fact, I think the two [Akiba/Ikebukuro] can take a whole day

Quote:
Most of the doujinshi fairs are in Tokyo. Fairs occur on almost every weekend in Japan and if you only go to Comiket you are missing out on real doujinshi culture. Go to http://ketto.com/ a week before you leave and find out what's good. They generally cost $10 or so to enter, and even if you don't buy anything you may be treated to cosplay, copibon, and other such fun stuff. Most of these are NOT in Akiba so plan ahead. This is also a fun chance to get to be a foreigner who stands out, because on the streets of Tokyo or in a cafe you are generally considered an irritating tourist who can't speak the language, but if you go to a doujin fair some people can be all like

If you are up for a local trip the Ghibli Museum is the most obvious thing to do. You need to reserve tickets about a month in advance. In order to get in you will have to find a Lawson near your hostel and ask the cute Japanese girl at the counter how to buy museum tickets. Don't get nervous! If you're not going to be in Japan for a month you have to buy tickets through JTB.

This, you've gotta do your homework, I can't help you here.

Quote:
If you actually have the time to enjoy Japan on non-otaku merits-- and if you're anything like me you will get tired of Tokyo culture within 24 hours
Make that 48. You'd want to buy a PASMO in Tokyo, in addition to a JR Pass.

Quote:
-- you should take a ride to Kyoto, which has like a dozen World Heritage sites, and Nara, where you can act out that scene from Lucky Star.
Sorry, I disagree. Besides, Lucky Star scene was in Saitama.
And, I think you should go to Osaka and Kobe next, if for the food. Real Japanese food is to be had in Osaka, not Tokyo. Tokyo's food is like business-class, Osaka is first-class Japanese food [along with Hakata].

In Osaka, you'll want to spend a half-day in Nipponbashi, the Akiba of Kansai. As well as Shinsaibashi [but start as Nagahoribashi station, where Crysta Nagahori mall is]. Both are on Sakaisuji Line on Osaka's subway.

In Kobe, be sure to visit Disaster Reduction Museum, but it may be a little out of the way... Well, the architecture of that plot where the DRM stands is quite striking as well.

I seriously think that Nara isn't worth your time, but the Kyoto guide above may or may be suitable, depending on what you're looking for.

AFTER Kansai, then you should go to Tokyo. Which is why I say: arrive at Kansai, depart at Narita.

Cheers.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 12:46   Link #414
lixuelai

Last time I went to Kyoto the Imperial Palace was only open for guided tours. Not sure if it was a one day thing or not. But if you cant go inside it isnt really worth the time as the walls all look the same.
Old 2009-02-10, 20:23   Link #415
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow - lots of strong opinions there. PASMO can only be purchased locally I assume, unlike the JR pass which can only be purchased abroad? I hadn't even seriously considered Kobe to this point, but now you brought it up it does sound like an intriguing option. I'm more conflicted than ever.

This trip is an appetizer - I just have to look at it that way and try not to drove myself crazy...
Old 2009-02-11, 03:52   Link #416
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Wow - lots of strong opinions there. PASMO can only be purchased locally I assume, unlike the JR pass which can only be purchased abroad? I hadn't even seriously considered Kobe to this point, but now you brought it up it does sound like an intriguing option. I'm more conflicted than ever.

This trip is an appetizer - I just have to look at it that way and try not to drove myself crazy...
Well, if that's the case, I think it would be info overload. Try this guide. ONLY CATCH: JR PASS is essential, if you haven't figured out already, since this is from JR after all.

http://www.japanrail.com/JR_fromTOKYO-KYOTO.htm

Still, very useful. Also, I believe that most hotels run by the JR Group have special rates for JR PASS holders, so you should try to refer to it.

Also, yes, PASMO can be bought in Japan, but will not be of much use if following this guide.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 09:16   Link #417
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:

Don't bother with PASMO—it's just an electronic fare card. You still have to pay the fare for all your trips. If you're there on a tourist visa and want to get out of Tokyo at some point, the Japan Rail Pass is definitely worth your while (though you'll still need to pay the fare on any subway or private line you ride).

As for excursions from Tokyo that can be managed as day trips, I'd recommend Nikko and Kamakura, plus Hakone-Yumoto or Atami if you like hot springs.

If you stay in Kyoto, Nara can be done as a day-trip. Take the Kintetsu line to Nara Station (or JR Nara Line, but be prepared to walk a ways), and stroll along Nara Kouen. It might not be of much interest to a hardcore anime nerd, but it's definitely worthwhile. Things worth seeing in Kyoto could easily fill several books, and Osaka's the place for food and nightlife. Kobe has a more cosmopolitan feel.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 02:05   Link #418
Princess Peach
Peach girl

Hopefully soon ^^
Princess Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 16:48   Link #419
lixuelai

Anyone planning on going to Summer Comiket?
Old 2009-02-16, 18:50   Link #420
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, but I did notice that Tokyo Anime Fair is going on while I'm in town, so I hardly see how I can skip that.

Tags
japan, travel