Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-16, 21:34   Link #441
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj713 View Post
hmm, ive watched 4 episodes so far... and its been pretty annoying for me. Its just nothing like the 1st one. I dunno if they tried to make Aisia cute or something but she's just getting on my nerves. Does it turn more into romance/drama later in the series?

It ends up kinda as a repeat of Da Capo 1. Just give it a couple more episodes and your favorite character(or my least favorite) will make an appearance and change the entire pace of the show.

I deleted the 2nd season off my hard drive. Seeing my Kotoko in pain for 20+ episodes was not my idea of a good anime.
Old 2006-10-16, 22:10   Link #442
jayj713

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
It ends up kinda as a repeat of Da Capo 1. Just give it a couple more episodes and your favorite character(or my least favorite) will make an appearance and change the entire pace of the show.

I deleted the 2nd season off my hard drive. Seeing my Kotoko in pain for 20+ episodes was not my idea of a good anime.
-_- figures. when the show first started i was like. wtf did i miss something at the end of the 1st season? i was so confused -_-. but then i kinda realized it couldnt be like that.
jayj713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 22:25   Link #443
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Seeing my Kotoko (sp.) in pain for 20+ episodes was not my idea of a good anime.
I suppose I could say that that was one of the most important, symbolic, and significant elements of the plot (and allowed you to make sense of the other elements of the story, including Aisia's story)... but that's a discussion that's long-since passed.

Anyway, jayj713, I'd encourage you to watch the show for yourself and make your own conclusions. I'd argue that, on the whole, the story's a very thoughtful, well-considered romantic drama, and a very good look at some of the questions left by the first season. And your confusion about the timeline (and the purpose of the early episodes) will all make sense in time. But this presumes you're able to look past the surface and see the purpose and meaning beneath the actions and plot. That's why it's a "contentious" sequel.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 23:19   Link #444
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

For old time sake:

EAT LEAD NEMU

This is my ideal of what DC2 should have been.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2006-10-16 at 23:35.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 13:28   Link #445
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
For old time sake:

EAT LEAD NEMU
Spoiler for for pic size:

This is my ideal of what DC2 should have been.
Let the revolution begin!

A DC2 FPS???
Old 2006-10-17, 20:02   Link #446
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Anyway, jayj713, I'd encourage you to watch the show for yourself and make your own conclusions.
I'd say its worth watching for the musical score alone.. but thats just me. :3

Anyway, i have to agree that the start of the show does play out different compared to say the middle part of the story. Its just something you have to get used to~
Old 2007-01-08, 22:43   Link #447
axeps2

just started watching it and abit confused. anyway

1. Is the story of this season made up? as in it no longer follow the game in anyway but build on after it end

2. For people who played the newer versions of the game, are the stories involving the new characters taking place in the same timeline as the older characters? Or do they appear and met Asakura only in high school as suggested in the anime by Mako and the others knowing Askakura for a longer period of time

3. What is the title of the song sang by Kotori in episode 15?
Can give me a download link or a page where I can buy it?
axeps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 22:03   Link #448
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeps2 View Post
1. Is the story of this season made up? as in it no longer follow the game in anyway but build on after it end

2. For people who played the newer versions of the game, are the stories involving the new characters taking place in the same timeline as the older characters? Or do they appear and met Asakura only in high school as suggested in the anime by Mako and the others knowing Askakura for a longer period of time

3. What is the title of the song sang by Kotori in episode 15?
Can give me a download link or a page where I can buy it?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... been swamped with work.

1. Well, yes, pretty much. It takes the characters added in Plus Communication (game) and in Second Graduation (manga), and puts them in a scenario that takes place two years after the end of the anime/game. It has some similarities to the scenario in Second Graduation, but isn't based on it.

2. The Plus Communication game is basically the original game with the added characters; it inserts the new characters into the original timeline as if they'd been there all along. But, seeing as this was supposed to be a sequel to the anime, they had to come up with some sort of an excuse that'd explain where all the new characters came from. At the same time, the situation with Nemu in the early episodes was based mostly on the the games, but wasn't covered in the original anime. (The moral of the story is that they didn't know they'd make a second anime season when they made the first season, so they had to take a few liberties with the canon story to make it work.)

3. That song's available on D.C.S.S. Vocal Album Vol. 1 (Amazon JP link), along with the other in-character insert songs. The song is titled "Andante".
Old 2007-01-12, 03:25   Link #449
axeps2

thanks alot for the detailed explanation.

finished it a few days ago and enjoyed it despite hearing quite a number of negative impressions of it. Nothing extraordinary and weaker compared to the 1st season but still worth a watch imho..

And is this the only anime of this genre to get a sequel or are there more?
axeps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 03:51   Link #450
DanielSong39

One of these days, we'll find a harem male that actually has parents...

It would have been a lot more interesting to see how Jyunichi's parents reacted to the relationship - they certainly would have put up a better fight than Aisia or the Da Capo Plus Situation girls.

Parental opposition, to me at least, seem to be much more dramatic and entertaining than introducing multiple girls. That's what made Ai Yori Aoshi so engrossing for 4 episodes... until it fell into the same trap.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 11:47   Link #451
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

AYA was remarkably compelling until they fell into the repeating harem girls and gags trap. The manga had the same issues but only wasted a couple of volumes worth with it. The manga did a better job of targeting the triangle (Tina-Aoi-Kaoru) better and did a better job of giving Tina some depth rather than the rather shallow portrayal in the anime (I am so freaking tired of "boob check" gags in any series anymore).

So, aye, some parental involvement would make these dramas a LOT more interesting -- but the basic problem seems to be the simplistic fantasy many of the writers keep going back to the same well for. One of the many reasons a show like, say, Kamichu! scores so well for me is that the characters are part of an integrated society that includes their parents and other townsfolk.
Old 2007-01-12, 12:05   Link #452
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
AYA was remarkably compelling until they fell into the repeating harem girls and gags trap. The manga had the same issues but only wasted a couple of volumes worth with it. The manga did a better job of targeting the triangle (Tina-Aoi-Kaoru) better and did a better job of giving Tina some depth rather than the rather shallow portrayal in the anime (I am so freaking tired of "boob check" gags in any series anymore).

So, aye, some parental involvement would make these dramas a LOT more interesting -- but the basic problem seems to be the simplistic fantasy many of the writers keep going back to the same well for. One of the many reasons a show like, say, Kamichu! scores so well for me is that the characters are part of an integrated society that includes their parents and other townsfolk.
I drop AYA after 6 eps for that reason. I love the first 4 ep of AYA then 5 and 6 came along and we got just another harem series.
Old 2007-01-12, 21:29   Link #453
DanielSong39

Points well taken; I think I might check out Kamichu! at some point. Sounds interesting.

Absent/useless parents are unfortunately the staple of many anime and manga... and that's a shame. When done right, parents can bring a whole new dimension - which we missed in Da Capo Second Season. Would've loved to see how the whole Kotori/Nemu/Jyunichi dynamic would've played out with Jyunichi's parents involved (who probably would've pushed Kotori, and perhaps even Sakura!).
Old 2007-01-12, 22:26   Link #454
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Count me among the crowd who doesn't miss the parents all that much, so I'm not sure I'd call it a "shame". Certainly, there have been a number of shows in the genre that have featured parents, but they're usually either understanding beyond belief (the kind of parents everyone wished they had), or rich and often absent (the acceptable alternative). There's probably a reason for that, and I suspect it's that most of us already have real parents to deal with, who aren't always so convenient to be around. Having parents serve as foils to the romance makes me think of Romeo & Juliet or something; if you don't convince the parents, does it end in sacrifice? They elope? Anyway, when it comes to anime, I'd choose misguided/heart-broken magicians over meddlesome parents any day of the week. Maybe it's just me...
Old 2007-01-12, 22:38   Link #455
DanielSong39

Well, I was thinking more on the line of parents that are won over by the kids' determination and new-found maturity, but I suppose that qualifies as a deus ex machina plot device...

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-01-12 at 22:54.
Old 2007-01-12, 22:44   Link #456
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Well, I was thinking more on the line of parents that are won over by the kids' determination and new-found maturity, but I suppose that qualifies as a ex deux machina plot device...
Well there is a recent anime with that sort of plot and it's "crescent love"

Spoiler:
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 22:46   Link #457
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Well, I was thinking more on the line of parents that are won over by the kids' determination and new-found maturity, but I suppose that qualifies as a ex deux machina plot device...
Well, it wouldn't be deus ex machina necessarily; it depends on the reasons for the parents' objection. Typically, in those sorts of cases, the parents object out of a slightly-misguided sense of concern; in other words, they're "actually nice people", but just act tough because they want what's best for their kids. So, in that case, them "coming around" wouldn't be a deus ex machina, just cutting through the resistance and realizing their kids can take care of themselves now. In this case, though, I would say that the parents reappearing out of the blue would have been a bit of a weak and improbable plot twist. I personally thought the way it actually played out (a "Da Capo" in theme) seems more interesting, but I guess we'll never know for sure.
Old 2007-01-12, 22:53   Link #458
DanielSong39

Hmm. My idea was to have the parents present from the beginning, which would have created a whole new dynamic from the start...

But point well made.
Old 2007-01-14, 12:28   Link #459
rarukyu
umeboshi

just finished D.C 2 and despite having a few negative thoughts i'd say its quite an interesting anime. yeah, i kinda also wondered with all that has been happening there were no parents involved whatsoever haha. makes me wonder what would have had happend if they were too presented some how in the anime.
rarukyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 16:32   Link #460
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

I think having the parents come back would seriously complicate the story... it would complicate it so much that i think not even 26 ep would be sufficient to develop the character of the parents so that they would accept

Spoiler for DCSS:
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, romance, school life, seinen