AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-05-03, 02:17   Link #1
Tsukimiya

Question Ogm & ssa

Hi all,

I have some anime episodes that is tied to both OGM and SSA. Does anyone know what is a SSA file for? Could it be a file that contains subtitles?

And for an OGM file, from what I heard, this format is used when the media file has multiple audio languages to choose from. Can anyone verify with me on this info?

Much thanks appreciated!
Old 2009-05-03, 05:52   Link #2
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukimiya View Post
Hi all,

I have some anime episodes that is tied to both OGM and SSA. Does anyone know what is a SSA file for? Could it be a file that contains subtitles?
OGM is a container that can hold video/audio and subtitles. In this case it looks like there aren't any internal subs, so the external SSA is used. If you have CCCP installed (or vsfilter more generally speaking), you should name the subtitle file like the movie (movie.ogm and movie.ssa for example). The subs should then automatically load when you play the movie.

Quote:
And for an OGM file, from what I heard, this format is used when the media file has multiple audio languages to choose from. Can anyone verify with me on this info?
As mentioned above it's a container, similar to Matroska (mkv). You could mux that ogm to mkv together with the SSA file, so you have one mkv with internal subs. You can do this with mkvtoolnix.
Old 2009-05-03, 06:57   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
ogm is a format that was being used quite some time ago, when I would play them I would use VLC because it allows you to select what subtitle and audio language you want since .ogm holds multiple in one file

As time went on .ogm was being replaced by what we call now .mkv
.ssa is indeed a subtitle file which should load automatically if you name it after the video file
Old 2009-05-03, 07:24   Link #4
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
ogm is a format that was being used quite some time ago, when I would play them I would use VLC because it allows you to select what subtitle and audio language you want since .ogm holds multiple in one file
CCCP does that just as well using Haali's splitter.
Old 2009-05-03, 14:59   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
yes but if you use CCCP without setting priorities and you have multiple languages then WMP can be quite a pain since the older one doesn't allow you to quickly access the ones you want (language wise I mean)

ofc this is one's own preference for old .ogm files I tend to use vlc player because back then this was quite an annoying problem, it has become a habit for me to pick vlc for .ogm
Old 2009-05-03, 16:20   Link #6
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
yes but if you use CCCP without setting priorities and you have multiple languages then WMP can be quite a pain since the older one doesn't allow you to quickly access the ones you want (language wise I mean)
Right click Haali's try icon

Quote:
ofc this is one's own preference for old .ogm files I tend to use vlc player because back then this was quite an annoying problem, it has become a habit for me to pick vlc for .ogm
The real solution is to remux to mkv.
Old 2009-05-03, 23:45   Link #7
Tsukimiya

Thanks for ur help!