Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 10:17   Link #1921
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
I am amazed on the quality of the machine translation, after reading the 1st volume, one wouldn't know it from a machine translation and not a actual translator.

I must really thank EnigmaticAxiom for providing the machine script and the ARMY of EDITORS who make it readable.
I don't think the editors actually do anything, really, but that could just be my imagination.

@cramped

Can you TLC this line: 'The conference room did not have windows and ceilings...'
I'm a bit confused, since if you didn't have a ceiling it would just be open space.
Iskatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 11:06   Link #1922
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist

The editors don't do anything really, they just check the grammar unless it is like me and Xena's case.

@Iskatar: where is this part from? need to know, also I will find some time to TLC it, sry been busied lately.
Old 2013-06-10, 12:18   Link #1923
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Then EnigmaticAxiom did a really good job, cause i read some other machine translation for another LN and it was unbearable to read.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 13:34   Link #1924
Hiyono

Most "editors" on B-T are more of a joke than anything. What you read is pretty much what Enigmatic put out himself.
Hiyono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 16:33   Link #1925
Tru3Ph03niX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
The editors don't do anything really, they just check the grammar unless it is like me and Xena's case.

@Iskatar: where is this part from? need to know, also I will find some time to TLC it, sry been busied lately.
Sounds like a line from when Roland died.
Tru3Ph03niX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 16:46   Link #1926
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:

"The conference room did not have windows and ceilings, and only the candlesticks placed in the four corners of the room and the sunlight coming from the vents illuminated the interior. In the center stood a huge desk, set with maps of various sizes on the top, and there was also a piece representing the army. Several maps were also posted on the wall."

Towards the end of the chapter.
Old 2013-06-10, 16:55   Link #1927
Demonthunder

@cramped
Vol. 06 chap.4 begin of the last scene with Tigre and Tallard
Demonthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 21:33   Link #1928
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonthunder View Post
@cramped
Vol. 06 chap.4 begin of the last scene with Tigre and Tallard
It fells like the way you said it like that they will never meet again
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:09   Link #1929
Hiyono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskatar View Post
"The conference room did not have windows and ceilings, and only the candlesticks placed in the four corners of the room and the sunlight coming from the vents illuminated the interior. In the center stood a huge desk, set with maps of various sizes on the top, and there was also a piece representing the army. Several maps were also posted on the wall."

Towards the end of the chapter.
You're right; it's quite strange. The Chinese does indeed say that the room had neither windows nor a ceiling, but this seems to contradict the subsequent comments on lighting. I don't know how to reconcile the two.

For cramped's sake, here's the Chinese: "会议室里没有窗户和天花板,只有摆在房间四角的烛台和从通风口射进来的阳光照亮室内"
Hiyono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:08   Link #1930
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist

The conference room was without windows nor ceiling, the only source of light that illuminated the room was from the candles at the four corners and the light shining through the air vent.

From this I would conclude that there's indeed a ceiling, but it would be like how do you call it furnishing? otherwise it would be too contradicting.

Last edited by cramped; 2013-06-11 at 04:51. Reason: change 'plus' to 'and'
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 11:10   Link #1931
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
The conference room was without windows nor ceiling, the only source of light that illuminated the room was from the candles at the four corners and the light shining through the air vent.

From this I would conclude that there's indeed a ceiling, but it would be like how do you call it furnishing? otherwise it would be too contradicting.
I can only think of two things:

1) It's attempting to refer to a ceiling window (sky-lite) or
2) There's no light from the ceiling, ie. no chandelier
3) It's so dark that you cannot see the ceiling
Old 2013-06-11, 11:23   Link #1932
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:

Actually, I believe it is entirely applicable to have no ceiling. In general, in chinese, 天花板 are used to cover the area above the room (as opposed to a ROOF). For example, an classic Asian style building (or European church) may have an ARCH style roof to allow rains to run off, but a 天花板 would be included in the middle so the inside would be box shaped.

So it would be

Roof

天花板

Room

Floor

Etc

In this case I would imagine it involve some kind of vaulted ceiling with no cover.

Example below: Inside

Outside

Without 天花板, it would look like

Edit: I do not imply all 3 are the same building. These are example only. The third is a western building with out 天花板, so you can see an arched ceiling.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 12:12   Link #1933
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Actually, I believe it is entirely applicable to have no ceiling. In general, in chinese, 天花板 are used to cover the area above the room (as opposed to a ROOF). For example, an classic Asian style building (or European church) may have an ARCH style roof to allow rains to run off, but a 天花板 would be included in the middle so the inside would be box shaped.

So it would be

Roof

天花板

Room

Floor

Etc

In this case I would imagine it involve some kind of vaulted ceiling with no cover.

Example below: Inside

Outside

Without 天花板, it would look like

Edit: I do not imply all 3 are the same building. These are example only. The third is a western building with out 天花板, so you can see an arched ceiling.
I thought the setting is of western style. But your pics is of eastern descent
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 12:41   Link #1934
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
I thought the setting is of western style. But your pics is of eastern descent
:Face palm: It is describing what a 天花板 is. This is a story written by Asians. They probably expected an 天花板, and the author pointed out THERE ISN'T ONE. THERE IS STILL AN ROOF! (This is not an open air building)

SEE PICTURE #3 for the Western building. THAT IS A BUILDING WITHOUT 天花板

If you really wanna go serious, they wouldn't eat with chopsticks, Ellen wouldn't play with an Asian instrument in the drama disc, drink Sake, talk about Bambo bows made in the "far east", eat rice, or fight in an European winter.
Old 2013-06-11, 12:49   Link #1935
kazzuya13

Quote:
:Face palm: It is describing what a 天花板 is. This is a story written by Asians. They probably expected an 天花板, and the author pointed out THERE ISN'T ONE. THERE IS STILL AN ROOF! (This is not an open air building)

SEE PICTURE #3 for the Western building. THAT IS A BUILDING WITHOUT 天花板

If you really wanna go serious, they wouldn't eat with chopsticks, Ellen wouldn't play with an Asian instrument in the drama disc, drink Sake, talk about Bambo bows made in the "far east", eat rice, or fight in an European winter.
It looks like a cathedral in the middle ages
Old 2013-06-11, 15:10   Link #1936
sasuke706

Everyone's doing it, so to add to the confusion, the original Japanese and my take on it:
Quote:
会議室は窓と天井がなく、部屋の四隅に立っている燭台の灯りと吹き抜けの空から射しこむ陽光が室内を照らし ている。
The council chamber had neither a window nor a ceiling, the interior illuminated by the glow of candlestands placed in the four corners of the room and the sunlight beaming from the sky through the open ceiling.
To explain, the term everyone's arguing over is 吹き抜け in Japanese. In the language's lovely anaphoric nonsense, it appears to be able mean a few things depending on the context, such as an atrium, vaulted ceiling, open roof, etc. As the context says there's no roof, I'm gonna go with there's no roof, or at least mostly no roof.

Quote:
I don't recall them ever eating rice or with chopsticks; we don't know how well established trading is in the timeline of the fictional world to discredit foreign items; fighting in winter wasn't entirely unheard of despite being rare, but this is a fantasy world so that's irrelevant; and"sake" is a term that can be used for alcohol in general.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 15:51   Link #1937
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Everyone's doing it, so to add to the confusion, the original Japanese and my take on it:
To explain, the term everyone's arguing over is 吹き抜け in Japanese. In the language's lovely anaphoric nonsense, it appears to be able mean a few things depending on the context, such as an atrium, vaulted ceiling, open roof, etc. As

I don't recall them ever eating rice or with chopsticks; we don't know how well established trading is in the timeline of the fictional world to discredit foreign items; fighting in winter wasn't entirely unheard of despite being rare, but this is a fantasy world so that's irrelevant; and"sake" is a term that can be used for alcohol in general.
A
Quote:
t the table was rye bread, milk, soup with smoked fish, thinly sliced meat, and boiled egg.

Ellen sat at the table as if it were natural. Teita wished to say “I have not prepared enough for you,” but prudently remained silent.

Though she did not take well to the circumstances, she was Tigre's guest. As a maid, she could not be a disgrace.

--- I'll give her some rice while we eat.

Until today, Tigre and Teita had eaten with just the two of them. She wanted to return to the days before Tigre left for Dinant.
That was from volume 2, chapter 1. I seem to recall chopstick but that might been a mistake.

I still don't believe they did met in a open air building. It was probably one with an arched ceiling, thus no "ceiling plate."
Old 2013-06-11, 16:40   Link #1938
sasuke706

Quote:
That was from volume 2, chapter 1. I seem to recall chopstick but that might been a mistake.

I still don't believe they did met in a open air building. It was probably one with an arched ceiling, thus no "ceiling plate."
That line is a mistranslation. Rice and meal can be interchangeable at times, but going by how rice isn't among the listed food and how it's worded, it's meal. The original line was:
Quote:
—やっと、ティグル様とふたりでご飯食べられると思ったのに。
—I thought I was finally going to have a meal alone with Lord Tigre, too.

And in Japanese, "天井" is just "ceiling". I'm no architect major, so, all I'd be able to do is show picture examples related with the term. So for all I know you could be right. There can still be a roof without a ceiling.

Last edited by sasuke706; 2013-06-11 at 17:45.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 23:01   Link #1939
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
To explain, the term everyone's arguing over is 吹き抜け in Japanese. In the language's lovely anaphoric nonsense, it appears to be able mean a few things depending on the context, such as an atrium, vaulted ceiling, open roof, etc. As the context says there's no roof, I'm gonna go with there's no roof, or at least mostly no roof.
Hmm... Since apparently the room's dark enough that they need candles in the room, I assume that there's no hole in the ceiling, so that rules out the atrium.
From what I imagine, the conference room is just a simple rectangle furnished with candles, a desk, chairs, and several maps, with a air vent leading to the outside. It probably is just that there's no roof.
Old 2013-06-12, 18:04   Link #1940
setsuna86

Can you help translated that "牙崩の壱!"? It's what Olga said when she uses her Dragonic skill. I don't know if I can translate it as "First fang collapse!"
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)