AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-03-28, 22:15   Link #181
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Let's see, this thread already has over 14,000 posts and the show hasn't even aired yet. That's almost as many posts as Jigoku Shoujo 2 or Hidamari Sketch, which have been on for almost six and almost three months respectively.

If the characters end up acting and sounding as cute as they look, I think KyoAni may have done it again. The bucketloads of anime-manga-game references are like an intensification of the anime self-referentiality they used in SHnY. For one thing, putting those Wii controllers into some of the publicity images was a stroke of marketing genius, I'd say.

As for this being just marking time in preparation for Clannad, I believe that's what was being said about Suzumiya Haruhi in relation to Kanon, a year ago.

But that "looking and acting as cute" will not be a simple matter. As a fan of Hirano Aya, I like her best in roles that have some kind of secret sorrow infusing their words, like Haruhi and Layla, and even Sanae and Mei. As far as I know that doesn't apply to Konata, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'm eager to see how she and the director decide to play the role. And I'm eager to hear how well the bevy of young seiyuus do.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 22:28   Link #182
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Let's see, this thread already has over 14,000 posts and the show hasn't even aired yet.
I'd rather say this thread has over 14,000 views. It's only 184 posts long.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 22:28   Link #183
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
The books on the table look like copies of Shonen Ace since one of them says Fate on the spine.
Found it:

aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 22:39   Link #184
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Let's see, this thread already has over 14,000 posts and the show hasn't even aired yet. That's almost as many posts as Jigoku Shoujo 2 or Hidamari Sketch, which have been on for almost six and almost three months respectively.

If the characters end up acting and sounding as cute as they look, I think KyoAni may have done it again. The bucketloads of anime-manga-game references are like an intensification of the anime self-referentiality they used in SHnY. For one thing, putting those Wii controllers into some of the publicity images was a stroke of marketing genius, I'd say.

As for this being just marking time in preparation for Clannad, I believe that's what was being said about Suzumiya Haruhi in relation to Kanon, a year ago.

But that "looking and acting as cute" will not be a simple matter. As a fan of Hirano Aya, I like her best in roles that have some kind of secret sorrow infusing their words, like Haruhi and Layla, and even Sanae and Mei. As far as I know that doesn't apply to Konata, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'm eager to see how she and the director decide to play the role. And I'm eager to hear how well the bevy of young seiyuus do.
What do you mean "May have done it again"? It doesn't strike me as phenomenally difficult to make characters look and sound cute, just look around you and you'll see its actually easy. If we are talking in comparsion to something in particular then maybe not, but does it really matter. Aren't we losing sight of what really does matter, i.e the laughs we intend to get out of this show and possible identifiication with one or more of the characters. The cuteness is meant to be the icing on the cake, not the base, unless I told missed the point of the manga. Basically if all Kyoto Animation's goal turned out to be is to make cute looking and sounding characters they have no business claiming to be a serious and prestigious studio. I don't think that is the case at all though. Though that might even not be what you mean, cause I seriously have no idea.

One thing I do know though is if you're worried about there not being some sort of secret sorrow with Konota, I wouldn't fret, because:

Spoiler:

Whether she can actually pull this off I'm not sure because I haven't found her particulary good at anything other than hyper-genki characters, which she does almost as good as Kotono Mitsuishi

So yeah its like a Japanese version of Peanuts in a way.

Oh and this is now 185 posts. Perhaps you've spending a bit too much time on 2chan(el) where posts routinely reach into the 10000's.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 22:53   Link #185
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
What do you mean "May have done it again"? It doesn't strike me as phenomenally difficult to make characters look and sound cute, just look around you and you'll see its actually easy....
Sorry, I wasn't referring to doing cuteness, but to creating a very popular show/franchise that makes them and their backers a lot of money. Like SHnY.

But I'll still take issue with the idea that it's "easy" to do cute. There's cute and there's cute. Some cute shows fall flat, some become big hits. That's like saying it's "easy" to do mecha. They've clearly got character designs that connoisseurs of moe are entranced by. The question is if they can have a script and animation and voices that are as effective as the character design. But thanks for the hints about Konata's character. That makes sense.

>>WanderingKnight: Sorry, you're right. It was views. But the comparison still stands. As for posts, that 184 is more than Jigoku and less than Hidamari.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:00   Link #186
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'd rather say this thread has over 14,000 views. It's only 184 posts long.
I'd still say that's pretty good for a show that hasn't even aired yet (on this board anyway).

Not to mention that the Clannad TV thread is over 15,500...

A question for the mods: As we get closer to the air date of the first episode, is this series showing enough interest to warrant a forum section to itself in the 'current series forums' or will it go into the 'fansubbed' forum until it can prove itself?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 23:01   Link #187
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Sorry, I wasn't referring to doing cuteness, but to creating a very popular show/franchise that makes them and their backers a lot of money. Like SHnY.

But I'll still take issue with the idea that it's "easy" to do cute. There's cute and there's cute. Some cute shows fall flat, some become big hits. That's like saying it's "easy" to do mecha. They've clearly got character designs that connoisseurs of moe are entranced by. The question is if they can have a script and animation and voices that are as effective as the character design. But thanks for the hints about Konata's character. That makes sense.

>>WanderingKnight: Sorry, you're right. It was views. But the comparison still stands. As for posts, that 184 is more than Jigoku and less than Hidamari.
Okay, we're on the same page, phew. I partially agree with you, but I'll say that cute is easy in all but proper execution in tandem with good plot and character progression. That's why I always say just throwing Moe into the pot along with everything else without paying attention to the ratio is like mixing chemicals, odds are if you do it wrong you'll end up with something toxic. In that sense it can be difficult to show restraint and plan the mix properly when under pressure.

In case anybody is wondering what is with the analogy, I've been playing Morrowind again and experimenting with Alchemy. Weeee..... it's not going to well
Old 2007-03-28, 23:01   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Besides... I'm reading the manga and the characters were *already* cute before KyoAni got them (as well as subversive, witty, and sarcastic). The "skill" is how successfully can KyoAni transfer static 2-d characters into a moving "3-d" environment and cast/characterize them so that most fans of the manga are happy and non-readers get a kick out of the humor.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:17   Link #189
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

If a thread's popularity was an indication of success, then the MSLN:StrikerS thread is a resounding success. 2716 posts and 121962 views at the time of this posting, and it hasn't even been aired yet.

I am not going to enter Lucky Star with high expectations. It seems to be one of KyoAni more... light-hearted productions (aka, we need a break), and as such, I will not be expecting it to be ground-breaking or anything. So long as it manages to keep me amused, I will watch it.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:18   Link #190
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Argh. I have this feeling that this is a pun I just don't get.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 23:21   Link #191
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Besides... I'm reading the manga and the characters were *already* cute before KyoAni got them (as well as subversive, witty, and sarcastic). The "skill" is how successfully can KyoAni transfer static 2-d characters into a moving "3-d" environment and cast/characterize them so that most fans of the manga are happy and non-readers get a kick out of the humor.
Well said. I'd add that part of KyoAni's skill seems to be picking the right properties to animate. They've done well with Key on AIR and Kanon. They picked the right novels to do with Suzumiya Haruhi. Now it looks as if they may have picked the right 4-koma. We'll see. "Subversive, witty, and sarcastic" is a great start, lol. What I was seeing was all the anime-manga-game references that should help sell the series to otaku.

>>Skane: Strikers is definitely going to be an extremely popular show. "There's a heaven above heaven." I personally don't enjoy the Nanoha shows, but that puts me in a definite minority, lol. I think the number of views/posts on AS is a good indication of a show's popularity outside Japan, at least with strong anime fans. And I'm going into Lucky Star with high hopes and indefinite expectations.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-29 at 02:41.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:24   Link #192
7Th
Mixtape

Read the first episode of the manga posted on 4Chan's /a/. Most unfunny comedy strip I've ever read, up there with unaltered Garfield. I guess this is just not my style of humor and since I laugh at Space-Moose that already makes my mind twisted. Still, I just don't see this appealing anyone who isn't already a fan of anime.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 01:24   Link #193
Rion
Ramune~

@7Th: It is possible that you didn't find it funny because the translation was bad. As for me, I think it's a nice 4koma, but not outstandingly funny :drop:
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 01:27   Link #194
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Read the first episode of the manga posted on 4Chan's /a/. Most unfunny comedy strip I've ever read, up there with unaltered Garfield. I guess this is just not my style of humor and since I laugh at Space-Moose that already makes my mind twisted. Still, I just don't see this appealing anyone who isn't already a fan of anime.
You're not in on the joke then. 4Koma's stunning ability is to either cause the reader to laugh uncontrollably for several minutes if they get the joke (i.e are in on it) or stare blankly and go "that's it?". I read a lot of Super Robot Wars 4Koma for games I hadn't played yet and was like "huh, huh, huh, what's so funny about all of these, they make no sense", but after I played the games and found out about each of the mecha animes and came back again they were gut bustingly funny most of the time and funny the other times. I think knowledge of otaku culture is a prerequisite to enjoy this manga and anime so brush up on your video games, anime, memes and dating sim lingo folks.

For example (not really a spoiler at all, but just in case)

Spoiler:

I've seen better written ones and assume Kyoto went for it because its a) cute and b)light hearted and a break from their usual Key (It's like the McDonald's/Disney private contract deal all over again) stuff.
Old 2007-03-29, 05:49   Link #195
endy
aka kami

so, any news on which group is planning on subbing this?
endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 05:58   Link #196
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
This site:

http://www.andrewlb.com/fansub/pukiw...?Spring%202007

....says a.f.k. which is good because I like TRANSLATED CREDITS!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 06:00   Link #197
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
afk sub group is listed as such.

I think that 10-15 mins x 24 episodes is not unlikely, just like Cromartie Highschool. But wait & see.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 07:49   Link #198
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I think that 10-15 mins x 24 episodes is not unlikely, just like Cromartie Highschool. But wait & see.
A scan that's been posted says 30 min x 24 eps.
cmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 08:31   Link #199
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Okay, we're on the same page, phew. I partially agree with you, but I'll say that cute is easy in all but proper execution in tandem with good plot and character progression. That's why I always say just throwing Moe into the pot along with everything else without paying attention to the ratio is like mixing chemicals, odds are if you do it wrong you'll end up with something toxic. In that sense it can be difficult to show restraint and plan the mix properly when under pressure.
On the same note, just throwing Mecha into the pot along with everything else without paying attention to the ratio is like mixing chemicals, odds are if you do it wrong you'll end up with half the lab gone. Like GSD, for example. Or Idolmaster Xenoglossia; Moe + Mecha = I'm not giving this a sniff of a chance.

Really, Kaioshin-kun. What you've said here can apply to almost anything else. Why are you picking on one particular genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I am not going to enter Lucky Star with high expectations. It seems to be one of KyoAni more... light-hearted productions (aka, we need a break), and as such, I will not be expecting it to be ground-breaking or anything. So long as it manages to keep me amused, I will watch it.
On another note, I think I've read somewhere that the director for Rakisuta is not the same director that helmed such great hits as SHnY, AIR, and Kanon. Which is why I'm thinking; Rakisuta might be KyoAni deciding to conduct an experiment into a different, more light-hearted direction, which could most likely mean that Rakisuta's going to be lacking the godly sakuga quality that has characterized KyoAni's independent works so far.

I dunno. I'm thinking I'll skip this one, at least until I hear some great blurbs from it.

Quote:
I've seen better written ones and assume Kyoto went for it because its a) cute and b)light hearted and a break from their usual Key (It's like the McDonald's/Disney private contract deal all over again) stuff.
Strange, I don't recall KyoAni basing their staples off "cute" and "light-hearted"....
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 08:52   Link #200
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Really, Kaioshin-kun. What you've said here can apply to almost anything else. Why are you picking on one particular genre?
Because his personal distaste of overly sweet moe is an open fact?

Though I think the whole bad pot for mecha + moe is a bit taking it badly though. I don't have high hopes for Idolm@ster, but mecha has argubly tapped and molted itself into every possible genre there is, and has each own achieved a level of success. Remember Gunbuster? Fans today may not think the original Gunbuster girls as moe, but perceptions change over time.

Either way, each one has their own preference in anime. Kaioshin's vocal dislike on undiluted moe is apparent, just like how some people think harems > reverse harems with gender bias preference or hate mecha. Considering the type of series Lucky Star is, Kaioshin has every right to be worried, and it's not like he's not giving it any chances...unlike you. :P

Quote:
On another note, I think I've read somewhere that the director for Rakisuta is not the same director that helmed such great hits as SHnY, AIR, and Kanon. Which is why I'm thinking; Rakisuta might be KyoAni deciding to conduct an experiment into a different, more light-hearted direction, which could most likely mean that Rakisuta's going to be lacking the godly sakuga quality that has characterized KyoAni's independent works so far.
Lucky Star's director, Yamamoto is apparently the series director of Suzumiya Haruhi, whatever that role is. Still, I believe that at the very least, Lucky Star will hopefully retain the sharp, witty storyboarding of the general Kyoto Animation fare, even if it may not possess the consistent sakuga quality. Personally, I like Kyoto Animation more for their sharp, quick yet fluid storyboarding flow of scenes which worked very well for Haruhi and Fumoffo, and some parts of their other series.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen