AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-06-26, 22:43   Link #1581
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
No. Just no. Commercial ratings don't determine the success of a series any more than merchandise sales. UC and CE are the most successful Gundam universes in terms of merchandise sales and TV ratings, yet in my opinion (and I know I'm going to get neg reps for this) they're mediocre under the criteria I use to evaluate a series. Saying the success of a Gundam series is dependent upon how many people watch it or how much money it makes is an insult to the people who watch any series for what they should be watching it for: The message.
I think there's a personal note called "Not living to the/it/their hypes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by artquest7@ View Post
I hate to barge in and say something OT but... do we have a thread to discuss The Origin anime yet? I looked around but didn't see one. This seemed like the most relevant place to post about it...
This is not the place. The lack of a thread might be because of:

1) No definite format yet.
2) If manga thread was put up, it'll be a mess with animated project being put in it too, then people would be spoiled (in some specific scenes).
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 03:41   Link #1582
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
any news on how the AGE Gundam change forms? whether it "morphs" Devil Gundam style or do it F90/G-Saviour/Strike/Impulse with attachment packs?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 03:52   Link #1583
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
any news on how the AGE Gundam change forms? whether it "morphs" Devil Gundam style or do it F90/G-Saviour/Strike/Impulse with attachment packs?
None yet. The preview almost makes it looks like the former.
Old 2011-06-27, 07:52   Link #1584
PzIVf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by artquest7@ View Post
I hate to barge in and say something OT but... do we have a thread to discuss The Origin anime yet? I looked around but didn't see one. This seemed like the most relevant place to post about it...
Still no updated news of Origin around the blog and 2ch. It could have some major conflict of there mistiming news of Origin while there some unfinished project of Unicorn still in the process.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 20:11   Link #1585
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Uh... it's a one-minute preview. You can't really capture "Gundam!" in one minute.
In my experience watching every series, you can capture Gundam in 1 second, you don't even need a minute...

First things that rolled through my mind when seeing the preview, no bull$hit

digimonmegamanyugiohheromanharlocksagadr.robotnikharoharogundam

And that's being honest with no bashing...

Offtopic, but I'm so enjoying Break Blade right now...I just imagine in my mind that it's Gundam and I feel so much better about everything...
Old 2011-06-27, 23:28   Link #1586
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I find the "1-second Gundam" hard to believe, considering every Gundam has so many different styles that trying to determine whether something is a "Gundam" from one second or one minute of footage alone would be silly. Hell, many AU Gundams can have "Gundam" removed from the name and no one would be none the wiser - ex. Turn A being one of the best examples of this both thematically and aesthetically. If not for the intro saying "Turn A Gundam", you wouldn't be able to tell that it was a Gundam show from the first 3 episodes.

Throughout the entire history of Gundam there have been so many styles and so many stories told that pinning down a single element that defines "Gundam" is almost nearly impossible at this point, let alone "Capture" said essence from a single second.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 23:58   Link #1587
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well not literally "1" second, Psuedo-Newtype LoweGear...

I'm sorry if you missed my theatrics...I'm speaking of that indescribable feeling...That atmosphere, that intrinsic quality that just feels Gundam...Yeah, we've seen boatloads of styles, but there's always this moment (Subjective I know, but,)...The look, and initial feel of Gundam AGE; it's understandable that it doesn't harken those same sentiments from some...Rightly//wrongly because of how it is perceived from jumpstreet...So I do agree with those who feel this way based on how overt it appears to be from the start...

Quote:
If not for the intro saying "Turn A Gundam", you wouldn't be able to tell that it was a Gundam show from the first 3 episodes.
I disagree with this as Tomino's style was a dead giveaway from the start...For example the visual technique of using the long box in opposition to the angle cut-away to show the characters in the mecha is part of this Gundam atmosphere I'm suggesting...If you have no clue what I am talking about here just ignore it and bequeath me...
Old 2011-06-28, 00:11   Link #1588
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
For example the visual technique of using the long box in opposition to the angle cut-away to show the characters in the mecha is part of this Gundam atmosphere I'm suggesting...If you have no clue what I am talking about here just ignore it and bequeath me...
That's a style used in many other mecha, and not just those for Tomino and for Gundam. It's not really an element I would call to be something inherent to Gundam.

Gundam is what it wants to be. There is no single "style" denoting what a Gundam show should be, otherwise it would be subject to artistic and creative stagnation (as many are already accusing it to be). Someone's idea of what a "Gundam" should be differs from another as a result, and thus why I won't exactly call your view wrong. It's a subjective opinion however, and thus shouldn't be worded as though the idea of what "Gundam" should be is a single all-encompassing idea set in unchanging stone.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 00:47   Link #1589
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
...shouldn't be worded as though the idea of what "Gundam" should be is a single all-encompassing idea set in unchanging stone.
And that's what I yielded? Unchanging stone?

Quote:
That's a style used in many other mecha, and not just those for Tomino and for Gundam.
Oh really? That's why I asked you to bequeath me, cause you don't see it...If that $hit is just a scribble on paper to be compare to other scribbles, you know not where I come from with this and why I (amongst the the legions unfortunately) am saying the overt kiddiness of this new Gundam effort is a bit unsettling...Be damned the endgame...Right now this "style" isn't ingratiating that Gundam feel to me...Time remains no doubt, but my paltry opinion belies my girth of knowledge on the subject...The fact you lafficon'd after thinking you dispelled my point on artistic expression as it relates to Gundam feel tells me why you bend so easily on this...I'm just not ready yet...I hope you know you haven't given yourself much room if and when...

I've got all the room in the world...
Old 2011-06-28, 04:05   Link #1590
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I don't think anyone here knows what in the hell they're arguing here anymore.
I think they're arguing as to what makes shows "successful"

Each with their own arguments and trailing way out of topic while they're at it.
Old 2011-06-28, 04:06   Link #1591
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Gundam The Origin is going to become an anime? Now this is a real remake lol.

The biggest question I have is about the VAs. Furuya and Ikeda are still active but some of the others have either retired or passed away. Who ever is going to voice Bright is going to have to do one heck of a job.
Old 2011-06-28, 04:24   Link #1592
Westlo
Lets be reality

I sincerely hope Level 5 aren't going to push out some crap just so they can push another shit load of video games on whatever systems in Japan. Level 5 are honestly my biggest worry more so than the Digimon look and appeal to kids... I really don't think the people being optimistic in here really know what crap Level 5 can put out... their stories leave a lot to be desired....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 04:58   Link #1593
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Leave bashing for later. Give them their due chance.

RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 05:47   Link #1594
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I disagree with this as Tomino's style was a dead giveaway from the start...For example the visual technique of using the long box in opposition to the angle cut-away to show the characters in the mecha is part of this Gundam atmosphere I'm suggesting...If you have no clue what I am talking about here just ignore it and bequeath me...
Sorry dude, but had I skipped the intro, I probably would have thought that the show were Tomino's classic original series, 'Mustached God White Doll', not Gundam. And this feelig would probably have lasted at least half the series (with the Zakus appearing as cameos)

After all, I could have sworn seeing similar styles in Tomino shows like Brain Powerd and Overman King Gainer.
Old 2011-06-28, 06:03   Link #1595
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
Leave bashing for later. Give them their due chance.

Oh how nice, I take it you haven't played many Level 5 games than lol. Basically Level 5 are now using multi-media outlets to promote their games as much as possible, if a Gundam AGE game isn't being made for PSP/3DS/Vita I'll be shocked.

That combined with their past efforts with story over a lot of games and them aiming @ kids (nothing wrong with this by itself) doesn't exactly imbue me with confidence in them putting out a quality product. I may be wrong, I hope I'm wrong but I'm not liking how things are shaping up atm.

Also you can have two things aimed @ kids and have vastly different results, look @ the Heartcatch Precure compared to Suite Precure.... night and day. Another example compare the current My Little Pony (fall back haterz) to the old ones or other shows in that vein.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 08:15   Link #1596
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Sorry dude, but had I skipped the intro, I probably would have thought that the show were Tomino's classic original series, 'Mustached God White Doll', not Gundam. And this feelig would probably have lasted at least half the series (with the Zakus appearing as cameos)
In a way, even after the intro the show was more about White Doll than Gundam

I think that ultimately, the concept of Gundam had already evolved into being able to host any different interpretation if it, regardless of how unorthodox it might be.

@Westlo

Having played their games, I share your concern. However, seeing how Hino had went before the project announcement (''This will take Level-5 to a new stage!'') to now tweeting about how surprised at all the negativity and even yesterday saying that he is becoming disheartened about all the criticism he's been receiving, I honestly just want to give him a hug lol

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I think that there had been far too much negativity about this, and while some of it is certainly justified, I think we reached the level of making mountains of mole hills.

(I'm a bit confused by the past page of the thread tho. So is this series aimed towards family or not now?)
Old 2011-06-28, 09:37   Link #1597
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
In a way, even after the intro the show was more about White Doll than Gundam

I think that ultimately, the concept of Gundam had already evolved into being able to host any different interpretation if it, regardless of how unorthodox it might be.

@Westlo

Having played their games, I share your concern. However, seeing how Hino had went before the project announcement (''This will take Level-5 to a new stage!'') to now tweeting about how surprised at all the negativity and even yesterday saying that he is becoming disheartened about all the criticism he's been receiving, I honestly just want to give him a hug lol

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I think that there had been far too much negativity about this, and while some of it is certainly justified, I think we reached the level of making mountains of mole hills.

(I'm a bit confused by the past page of the thread tho. So is this series aimed towards family or not now?)
I agree we might be making a lot out of nothing. But Hino probably doesn't realize that the preview makes a deep impression. If it looks like a younger show and quacks like a younger show in the preview, that is the general impression fans will have. If the preview was properly done he wouldn't be receiving any negativity(well not as much).
Old 2011-06-28, 10:10   Link #1598
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Oh how nice, I take it you haven't played many Level 5 games than lol. Basically Level 5 are now using multi-media outlets to promote their games as much as possible, if a Gundam AGE game isn't being made for PSP/3DS/Vita I'll be shocked.
It's already in production
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201..._5_gundam_age/

Played Danball Senki recently, I can share your sentiment. The gameplay is good, and pretty much that's the only thing keep me playing. Their story is just on the facepalm level (I can't even to say lolz when I watch that).
Old 2011-06-28, 13:14   Link #1599
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post

After all, I could have sworn seeing similar styles in Tomino shows like Brain Powerd and Overman King Gainer.
Well Tomino was established by the time Turn A came out so for me it was easy to see his influences from the start….Lots of subtle stuff too in-terms of characterization, not just design…And yes everyone’s favorite White Jamaican Ziggy Marley Mobile Suit Overman King Gainer did have some offkey character designs, but I wouldn’t say from jumpstreet it was anything as overt as Gundam ACE’s…I mean just the cockpit scene of the main character looks like nothing I’ve ever seen in Gundam (Looks like some megaman $hit honestly)…I also don’t ever recall the main characters’ ever getting the cartoon-esque treatment…It’s usually just side characters like Corin Nader, Moon-Moon people, the little kids living in the battleships, stuff like that…Never really the main cast, surely not proportional to what we've seen from ACE thusfar…
Old 2011-06-28, 15:40   Link #1600
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Here we go, I thought I'd share the Gundamn! crews talk about the Rage against Gundam AGE cause I'm sure they'll put it straight and concise. Given what's come to pass this will hopefully be the last time any of this unpleasantness ever needs to be mentioned anywhere outside of 4Chan or perhaps MAL.

As for Level 5, I've actually enjoyed the games of there's I've played and by that I mean Dragon Quest VIII and Professor Layton. DQ will always be standard DQ fare, but the gameplay is still okay and VIII brought into the 3D world in a fairly impressive way that actually makes use of 3D quite adequately for the series. Layton games are just fun puzzle solving. Plus I've always kind of been a fan of the art styles they use for their games. I'm guessing people are talking about something else entirely when it comes to the stories for their games though.

If I had one criticism of them though it would be that they always seems like they are riding other pre-established power houses coat tales both in terms of who they choose to work with and the projects they end up doing. First it was SCE during the PS2 era with Dark Cloud, then Square-Enix with the Dragon Quest franchise, then Nintendo with Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven, then Studio Ghibli for Ni No Kuni, and now apparently Sunrise with the Gundam franchise. That's going to always leave them looking fairly second rate IMO.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-06-28 at 16:12.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote