AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Kami nomi/TWGOK - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 49.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 20.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-03, 10:56   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Interesting.

I consider TWGOK to be a light-hearted parody of moe, not anti-moe, and not pro-moe. More of an affectionate mockery of moe. So we get to have our cake (moe girls) and eat it too (laugh at the silliness of it all).
That may be an accurate assessment of the anime. There's certainly touches here and there of this anime parodying some prominent moe character archetypes. I would say that it's like the anime demonstrating and saying "These moe archetypes can be pretty silly and simple at times, can't they? But still, there's also a certain appeal to them that can't be denied".

I see this anime being to moe what The Incredibles movie was to classic spandex-clad superhero comics. The Incredibles parodied its subject material a bit (what with jokes about the drawbacks of capes, how supervillains tend to monologue too much for their own good, etc...) but it was also a celebration of that same subject material.

Quote:

I will admit the anime so far has toned down the mockery quite a bit, but it is still there. For example in this episode when Keima was complaining to Elsie about the proper traits of a sidekick character and Elsie replies that it makes Keima the perfect sidekick. Keima then gets angry at Elsie making herself the main character.

Except, that you could easily see this as Elsie being the main character. She has a quest. She's a bit of a bumbler, but is making up for it through determination and by recruiting a competent sidekick...

That's some good meta humor there about the silliness of the "normal" male main character at the center of the Unwanted Harem genre. Why is he never interesting himself? How does such a boring character become the center of a show? It's always the sidekick characters that are interesting. But not in TWGOK.
Good example! I also liked this juxtaposition we saw here. It made for a clever joke that you don't see often in anime. In fact, this might be the first time I saw this joke played the way it was.

Quote:

Still the second season is already planned, so we'll have to wait for that to set the hook- it's just I'd prefer for the hook to be set in the first season. I think even people who are enjoying the current arcs can understand this concern.
Yes, I do. If you're going to have multiple seasons for a show planned, it can be very good to end on a bit of a cliffhanger to create interest for the next season. A lot of TV shows in North America operate like this, and it's a very effective way of carrying interest over for the next season while the show is temporarily on hiatus.
Old 2010-12-03, 11:45   Link #62
haiz123321
Obey me world!

As usual, Keima quotes are awesome. This episode felt pretty alright overall, though the part where Shiori went on about books are xxx got kinda redundant imo. Shiori's seiyu was fitting imo, then again, I recognise seiyus from their names but their voices instead Just need confirmation, sorry if it has been asked already but is the picture of Shiori at the end of the episode done by the same artist who drew for the visual novel H2O: Footprints in the sand?

And for a slightly off-topic question: Anyone else besides me wishes that the novels that Keima plays get made into real games just like they are in the anime? D:

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Old 2010-12-03, 12:37   Link #63
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz123321 View Post
Just need confirmation, sorry if it has been asked already but is the picture of Shiori at the end of the episode done by the same artist who drew for the visual novel H2O: Footprints in the sand?
Nishimata Aoi was the artist this time. To me best known for Shuffle!
Nope, not from H20's artist who goes by the name of Kagome (btw. he's male from what I know).

Quote:
And for a slightly off-topic question: Anyone else besides me wishes that the novels that Keima plays get made into real games just like they are in the anime? D:
There is plenty of such visual novels, the ones Keima is playing are mostly stereotype~ish so they aren't really special.
Old 2010-12-03, 13:52   Link #64
tsunade666

more like the game keima is playing are always related to the current girl his capturing.
Old 2010-12-03, 16:44   Link #65
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
One can only wish... But there are alot of Visual Novels out their to enjoy either way. There might even be a visual novel hidden very well that resembles what Keima played but Keima just played waaay too much gal games for us to even think about which one he actually played, or even try to make them into real games
Old 2010-12-03, 16:52   Link #66
Seihai
スマイリウム

Having an intended Sora Asuka game with massive bugs would be hilarious. With mini games where they throw riceballs at you.
Old 2010-12-03, 19:45   Link #67
Clarste
Human

This is definitely an affectionate parody of moe rather than a full out mockery. In the end, it always uses those same cliches that it mocks. Because, well, if it didn't then Keima wouldn't have a head for very long and there'd be no series.
Old 2010-12-03, 20:58   Link #68
Traece
:cool:

All I know is she's adorable and I want one. <3

The girls he has to deal with seem to get better as he goes along. It started with the tsunderes (not my favorites by any means, but still cute), then went to Kanon, and now we're on quite possibly the most adorable (and time consuming) girl I've seen in a long time. I envy you Kami-sama.
Old 2010-12-03, 22:18   Link #69
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Excellent episode.
Oh my ... the bgm on the 2nd part fits very well with the mood also Shiori's voice actor too.
Shiori was so adorable ^^

As usual very nice pics at the ending with the last line : "Divine Brother , i finished the cake! Inside me !"
Old 2010-12-04, 02:29   Link #70
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
All I know is she's adorable and I want one. <3

The girls he has to deal with seem to get better as he goes along. It started with the tsunderes (not my favorites by any means, but still cute), then went to Kanon, and now we're on quite possibly the most adorable (and time consuming) girl I've seen in a long time. I envy you Kami-sama.
I do also Traece he always gets girls that get even more and more cuter by the minute that you will eventually die of cuteness as time passed
Old 2010-12-04, 02:30   Link #71
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Nishimata Aoi was the artist this time. To me best known for Shuffle!
Nope, not from H20's artist who goes by the name of Kagome (btw. he's male from what I know).
Ah okay
Quote:
There is plenty of such visual novels, the ones Keima is playing are mostly stereotype~ish so they aren't really special.
True, though I'm actually talking about anime visual novels like the ones in the game and not your typical ones Though I do understand that Keima's novels are practically the visual novels getting animated. Not making much sense am I? It's very hard to put what I'm trying to say into words so yeah.

Oh yes on a side note, they included something new in the episode didn't they? I'm talking about the intermission pictures or something where Keima and Elysee said Kami Nomi. Just curious but was the game that Kanon was advertising some kinda joke? Or was it an actual advertisement? Need some confirmation for this as well, I read somewhere that the Shiori arc will take three episodes?

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Old 2010-12-04, 07:30   Link #72
tsunade666

I think Kanon is just advertising the PFP itself.
Old 2010-12-04, 08:19   Link #73
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
True, though I'm actually talking about anime visual novels like the ones in the game and not your typical ones Though I do understand that Keima's novels are practically the visual novels getting animated. Not making much sense am I? It's very hard to put what I'm trying to say into words so yeah.

Oh yes on a side note, they included something new in the episode didn't they? I'm talking about the intermission pictures or something where Keima and Elysee said Kami Nomi. Just curious but was the game that Kanon was advertising some kinda joke? Or was it an actual advertisement? Need some confirmation for this as well, I read somewhere that the Shiori arc will take three episodes?

Anime Visual Novels... maybe you mean games like School Days? That game is pretty much 100% animated and it's surely not your typical Visual Novel either.

The advertisement was random but not real (yet?), it's like tsun said so... random joke which is random.
And yeah, Shiori will take 3 episodes. It'd be strange for them to cut off after her capture and it wouldn't be right for her to have more episodes than Kanon.
Old 2010-12-04, 10:29   Link #74
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Ah okay

It's a joke. In the manga they had a cutaway joke "Suddenly- A commercial!" to Keima and Elsie advertising the release of volume 1.

To really hit it they should have had Kanon advertising the DVD release.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-12-04, 10:42   Link #75
tsunade666

but they advertise the pfp instead -_- and a game for pfp

by kanon.

I wonder if they would make a psp game of kaminomi too just like oreimo had a psp for it.
Old 2010-12-04, 10:59   Link #76
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
...and it wouldn't be right for her to have more episodes than Kanon.
But it's okay for Kanon and Shiori to have more episodes than Ayumi and Mio? When their proportions in the manga are so much closer?
Old 2010-12-04, 12:29   Link #77
paladinenvec

Well the episode was nice for most part of the episode the LC's so cute and her obsession for fire trucks was well portrayed in the adaptation, then the episode slowed down, it's understandable since Shiori's actions are slow as well but i think that they went overboard when she said all those comparitions of what are the books for her and her love for them, nevertheless it was a good episode and shiori it's a very cute character.
Old 2010-12-04, 16:38   Link #78
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
But it's okay for Kanon and Shiori to have more episodes than Ayumi and Mio? When their proportions in the manga are so much closer?
I didn't include or mention Ayumi and Mio but I personally find it okay, yeah.

And if you're gonna compare it thoroughly, you can also say that Mio has more episodes than Ayumi.
About the manga proportions, Kanon and Shiori approx. have 12~14 more pages than Mio which is indeed close.
Let's go from the view of Mio's amount of episodes which is 1.5 vs 3 episodes Kanon + Shiori.
Add 14 pages you compress into half an episode, and from Mio arc perspective, you'd have 2 episodes. Easy maths.

Sadly, it doesn't work that way because you need to consider things like:
- the significance and impact of the chars and their situations / events (Foreshadowing? Merchandising?)
- that fewer content (13 less pages) is easier to compress in most cases
- if a faster pacing would be too rushed and if it wouldn't be, would they instead pace other episodes slower to make up or would they include additional content for the conserved time?
- What exactly could they include if they even considered it beforehand (which I doubt they did looking at the existance of second season)?
etc.

Ultimately it would probably come down to one extra (or even just half) episode's content if they really left out and cut all the 'unimportant' stuff.
I still stand by my opinion that while that one more episode's content would be nice, not having it isn't too self-destructive either.
Airing at late night, having competition from other most popular series, not being overloaded with the money maker called fanservice and finally being 'just' an adaption are what makes TWGOK not as popular as it could be.
Otherwise I think it's a quite qualitative anime and it's not doing anything wrong.
Having a certain character appear would give an impact for next season but it's not a must and it wouldn't sky rocket anything, probably.

Well, let's just wait and see how this season comes to an end and how the next season turns out to be to have a better view.
Old 2010-12-08, 16:45   Link #79
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Shiori was very cute this ep. and quite loveable. It was also nice to see that this time, Keima didn't treat the girl like an utter ass at the beginning, as he did with Kanon

Elsie shows her knowledge of Japanese history with Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry and his Black Ships, which arrived in Uraga bay on 14 April 1853.
Very good to see a girl with interest in Japanese History, that makes her already much more interesting for me

It was also very cute once again to see her fascination for fire trucks

Quote:
Best scene for me was when Shiori tripped and then leaned onto Keima for god knows how long, that was really cute. Oh god that reaction. lol :3
Best scene indeed. It also shows that Keima clearly warms up more and more to 3D girls. At the beginning of the series, he would've never done such a thing.

Quote:
The fact that Keima was waiting for Shiori to say something and not interrupt her is also a special moment.
When you're so shy and closed up you'll never meet anyone who has the patience to wait on you to say something.
Even then, when the person keeps staring at you like Keima did at Shiori, you will get really nervous... you'll feel pushed on without forming any compromised answer and often you blurt out something very generic, not to mention say it wrong.
That just makes you close up again and it makes the cycle of shyness.
Unless that person approaches you enough to change you. Good luck, Keima.
This might be another tough challenge for Keima... however, he already had one of his bits of wisdom for this situation:

For Shiori, if it's so difficult for her to find the right word, she should simply use this:

Cookies for anyone who gets the meaning behind this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigsig View Post
This ep somehow feels more draggy than Kanon's
I think non-manga readers/non-Shiori's fans will agree that it was kinda boring :/
Especially the parts where the scene is repeated over and over again, with similar text/words repeated. Though I don't see how else should a librarian be portrayed...
I didn't read the manga, but I don't think the episode dragged and neither found it boring. The pacing was nice and appropiate to Shiori's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Oh, and of course: Firetruck! Firetruck! Firetrucking Firetruck!