AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-09-18, 23:59   Link #61
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Cheer up. They can always add stuff to or subtract clothes from the TV series to get the DVD release (like Witchblade did).
Old 2006-09-19, 12:42   Link #62
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila
Oh Good Grief.....

As if the First TV Series was not already unecessarily sanitized enough....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima%21%3F
First off, we've known about this for a while already.

Second, the fact that it's being geared towards younger viewers isn't as bad as it sounds, since, if done right, you still have a good epic story even if you take away most of the more ecchi fanservice (which, save for the swimsuits and the "henshin-esque" panty shots that Asuna and Nodoka sometimes have when they "adeat", I'm not really into).
Old 2006-09-19, 16:26   Link #63
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila
Oh Good Grief.....

As if the First TV Series was not already unecessarily sanitized enough....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima%21%3F
Quite right, ecchi was part of the charm of the story too. They shouldn't bowdlerize things for the sake of convenience.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 18:39   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I surmise simple implied nudity is not a problem since it really isn't (inside Japan at least). ... provocative situations will probably be minimized (not that there were many outside of a few bathing scenes) and when actual romance is implied (aka Nodoka or whomever) it'll focus on the relationship.
Old 2006-09-19, 19:08   Link #65
orion

Well, you are talking about 5:30 PM. The target audience is younger (tweens and teens). This will be airing at roughly the same time as Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters Genex, Naruto, Eyeshield 21, Sergeant Frog, and ZegaPain. I'd guess that ecchi just will be tossed out of the window in favor of magical battles and filler episodes if this is a huge hit in that timeslot. I bet this is going to evolve into Harry Potter the anime.
Old 2006-09-19, 20:08   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh on skin service, what I'm most afraid of is that *any* romance will also be tossed --- we'll be lucky if we get bonding ala "comrades in arms". No more perverse comments from Evangeline or heartstopping Nodoka moments or Chach blushes.
Now I'm *really* hoping I am just blowing smoke.. but the 5:30p slot doesn't make me comfortable, especially if the sort of things Orion lists are the staple fare.
Even Harry Potter has romance....
Old 2006-09-19, 20:38   Link #67
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I'd just like to say that this "magical battles and filler episodes" has far more in common with Negima than Harry Potter. If it is just "magical battles and filler episodes", then that would be pretty happy for me - since that's what I felt the first season was missing. And that is a huge part of the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
what I'm most afraid of is that *any* romance will also be tossed --- we'll be lucky if we get bonding ala "comrades in arms". No more perverse comments from Evangeline or heartstopping Nodoka moments or Chach blushes.
Negima doesn't have a ton of romance to begin with - not significantly more than, say, Keroro Gunso. I would expect the romance to probably make it through safely. Even Naruto has romance (so I understand, I've never actually _seen_ anything after the first episode), but I would expect that fanservice outside of swimsuits is probably gone (and those things they're calling swimsuits in the OVA probably won't be showing up). However, Keroro Gunso still has naughty jokes and whatnot - so I can't imagine those will be completely cut.
Old 2006-09-19, 21:27   Link #68
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

The Manga, currently, is a strong stylistic successor to Toriyama Akira's Dragonball Z.

Done correctly, Negima!? has the potential to fill the void of the "Epic Martial Arts Anime" left by the departure of Inu Yasha, Naruto and DBZ itself.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 22:16   Link #69
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Negima doesn't have a ton of romance to begin with - not significantly more than, say, Keroro Gunso. I would expect the romance to probably make it through safely. Even Naruto has romance (so I understand, I've never actually _seen_ anything after the first episode), but I would expect that fanservice outside of swimsuits is probably gone (and those things they're calling swimsuits in the OVA probably won't be showing up). However, Keroro Gunso still has naughty jokes and whatnot - so I can't imagine those will be completely cut.

Naruto and his buddies were around 12 yo IIRC at the start of the anime and has aged since then. In the beginning, no romance was in this anime. At the most, it was juvenile crushes. This title airs at 7:30 PM currently.

Negi is a 10 yo teacher in a show that will be aired at 5:30 PM. Romance may not be even hinted in this title because of his age and profession. (This is actually an otaku level theme considering Negi's age and profession imo.) Target is now the short attention span age group that buys games imo. Then, there's also the parents who may complain. Fights are safer. If it was aired later, then it has a higher likelihood of happening imo.

In OVA 1 trailer, he was looking a little DBZish in his fighting moves. It would be sad if it continues down this path. (No offense to DBZ fans.)

Of course, we won't know until it airs.

Edit: My Japanese is nonexistent, but from what I can see this may be TV Tokyo's current schedule for Wednesday September 20th.

5:30 - 6:00 PM Spider Riders
6:00 - 6:30 PM Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters Genex
7:00 - 7:30 PM Eyeshield 21
7:30 - 8:00 PM Naruto
1:00 - 1:30 AM Inukami
1:30 - 2:00 AM .hack//Roots

So, if I'm on the right track, then Negima?! TV inherits Spider Riders time slot and viewer demographics.

Last edited by orion; 2006-09-19 at 23:27.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 22:33   Link #70
Dark`
The Terror of Death

I just now got a hold on the OVA preview...and I must say I'm quite excited about this "remake" of sorts. I love the manga (I have up to 11, which is all that's been released here) and I tried to watch the original anime series...but I could never get into it. One could say I've been having trouble getting into animes in which I've read the manga beforehand (Tsubasa, XXXHOLiC, Getbackers, etc)...but I must admit that one of the main reasons that I could not get into it was definitely the animation. It just...looked so poorly done. That might be shallow of me, of which I won't deny, but it just turned me off so completely. I thought it might've looked better in motion than in screenshots but sadly...it still did nothing for me... >_>;

But with the new animation, which looks quite similar to the manga, I'm quite excited about it. October's gonna be a good month with Death Note, D. Gray Man and Negima!?.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 22:52   Link #71
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
New! Neo Pactio Cards... Each student can get three cards now, according to:
http://www.negima.ne.jp/pop3.html
The cards can fall under one of the categories: Aamaa (Armor), Kosupure (Cosplay), and Suka (?!?!??!?!?!). I have no clue what 'suka' means. Scout? Skirt? Scallop?

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 23:44   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like I said... we'll see. I'm not saying the manga is romance filled.. because it isn't ... if they keep the balance similar to the manga (mostly adventure and magical combat with spritzes of innocent romance and first crushes along with an occasional Evangeline remark) then its good for me.

Ronin Aquila's post may have been intended as praise but it doesn't alleviate my concern (those shows do not appeal to me at all) -- but perhaps Negima will occupy some interesting middle ground that all sorts of anime fans can enjoy.
Old 2006-09-20, 00:00   Link #73
Kikaifan
Blazing General

The main draw for me will be Evangeline wtfpwning things. Assuming the animation/voice/plot quality is acceptable to good, my interest will probably be in proportion to the amount of pwning she does.
Old 2006-09-20, 18:40   Link #74
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Like I said... we'll see. I'm not saying the manga is romance filled.. because it isn't ... if they keep the balance similar to the manga (mostly adventure and magical combat with spritzes of innocent romance and first crushes along with an occasional Evangeline remark) then its good for me.

Ronin Aquila's post may have been intended as praise but it doesn't alleviate my concern (those shows do not appeal to me at all) -- but perhaps Negima will occupy some interesting middle ground that all sorts of anime fans can enjoy.
True true, as long as the balance is good then it's no problem.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 21:33   Link #75
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
New! Neo Pactio Cards... Each student can get three cards now, according to:
http://www.negima.ne.jp/pop3.html
The cards can fall under one of the categories: Aamaa (Armor), Kosupure (Cosplay), and Suka (?!?!??!?!?!). I have no clue what 'suka' means. Scout? Skirt? Scallop?
(set LURK=0)
Tripling the number of Pactio Cards? Only one good reason I can think of for doing that, especially if what has been posted earlier about the new show's younger target demographic is correct... Negima!: The Collectible Card Game. It will be coming soon - bank on it.

BTW, I've been lurking because I've only recently started reading the manga, and I never saw the first anime. So I don't really feel that I can contribute much to the discussion yet.
(set LURK=1)
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 09:39   Link #76
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw
True true, as long as the balance is good then it's no problem.
For those who have had the good fortune to see the un-raped (IE. uncut) version of Dragonball Z, it was actually quite an artistically and emotionally well balanced show.

A good percentage of the episodes (45%) were non-combat related, and much of the filler not present in the original manga was added to further develop the characters, in particular the genuinely touching father-son relationships.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 04:20   Link #77
eggplant
Eggplant

I've uploaded a TV commercial for the upcoming Negima!? anime here.

When I saw this clip 10 days ago at the Negima! OVA event, it looked pretty good (obviously so, being a promotional commercial), but seeing it again, the Gansis/SHAFT designs work okay for me. Storywise, I pretty much expect Negima!? to start off from the start of the manga.

One more week to go!

Please take a look at the other new fall titles I've recorded and upped as well.

Finally, would appreciate if a mod could add the "?" to the title.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Thanks, xris!

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Last edited by eggplant; 2006-09-27 at 05:01. Reason: thank you message
eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 05:01   Link #78
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Finally, would appreciate if a mod could add the "?" to the title.
Yes, good point I suspect it might also help if we added (TV series) or something so the Negima!? (TV series) thread won't be confused with the Negima!? OVA[/B] thread. We'll see.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 05:17   Link #79
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
I've uploaded a TV commercial for the upcoming Negima!? anime here.
All i need now, is to know who's doing the music for the show.. and i can be all set & happy. ^^;

Apart from me being a Negima-fanboy, but this is looking to be brilliant. Its one to think to see the new art-style in posters & what not.. but to see it in full motion, it just works perfectly.

Gah, can't wait to see the Thousand Master again~
Old 2006-09-27, 05:35   Link #80
crystar
*yawns*

Although it was a short trailer, it looked really great. I'm a Setsuna fan so anything with more Setsuna in it will make me happy. Nicer animation. *__* I actually liked the music from the previous Negima adaptation, so hopefully this one will have music just as good (or better if everyone else didn't like the previous one).

Please have a decent storyline ~~~ (if it really will be changed)
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote