AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-22, 15:43   Link #1
Farix

Router Recommendations

I was wondering if anyone could offer recommendations about a routed. I've just called my cable company, JetBroadband, today to reserve a cable modem for the new broadband service that will be going live next month.

I already have a Netgear FS608 8-port switch connecting the home network together. I was thinking of getting the Netgear RP614NA 4-Port Cable/DSL Router which will nicely complement the switch, but the bad reviews make me a little leery of it.

So, here are some of the things I'm looking for.
  • Compact: I don't have much space on the desk top for a large router. At the very least, it should be no larger then the current switch.
  • Aesthetically pleasing: the Linksys routers just don't cut it in the aesthetics department
  • Easy to set up and configure
  • Reliable (doesn't drop connections or flake out)
  • NAT and DHCP support
  • Built in firewall with UPnP support.
I'm not looking for a wireless solution as all the computers (2 of them) are currently hooked up to the switch. And I also don't expect for anyone to bring over a laptop nor do I believe I will host a LANparty (though I thought I might when I bought the switch 4 years ago). My dad does have a PocketPC (DELL Axim V50v), which he got as a retirement gift.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 18:16   Link #2
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

I'd stay away from Netgear. I had a Netgear access point and I had to restart it every other day. I've also heard that they overheat a lot with heavy use. I'm having very good luck with my Linksys WRT54GC. It is their "mini" router... not the same dimensions as their big blue version. Take a look at the third picture to get an idea of its size.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 20:11   Link #3
Farix

3.9" x 3.9" x 1" Wow, that's tiny. The Netgear switch is 6.9" x 4.6" x 1.1"
Old 2006-12-23, 00:25   Link #4
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

Scream woot for Linux based Routers.
Trust me the ability to switch out the Firmware for something better is a nice feature.
Its hard to drop connection with this router It happens on odd occurance of once a month or so.

But make sure to put in this Firmware
http://www.thibor.co.uk/

Personally the next router I buy will be a full fledged Desktop with Smoothwall...
I hate it when my connections drop, so a faster processor and more memory will serve me.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki

Last edited by Kurz; 2006-12-23 at 18:08.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 01:30   Link #5
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

netgear is very very bad for torrents usually.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 02:33   Link #6
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

NO, DO NOT USE DD-WRT, it will make you need to reset the damn thing daily, even if you mess with timeouts and stuff. I highly recommend HyperWRT+Thibor for WRT54G[S]'s that run Linux (GL included)
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 06:53   Link #7
Farix

Apparently, you guys didn't even look at all of my requirements. That Linksys router is too big and too ugly.
Old 2006-12-23, 18:03   Link #8
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
If you just went with looks you'll miss some of the best hardware in the net.
Just because my computer is in a compaq case doesnt mean its bad.
In fact I have a Core2Duo set up within its ugly shell.

Why should looks matter if the hardware put out by Netgear suck balls?

Here is the Thibor Site
http://www.thibor.co.uk/

Thanks Raistlin,
I meant HyperWRT...
Been awhile since I set up a router like that for distant family Member

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-12-24, 13:14   Link #9
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farix View Post
That Linksys router is too big and too ugly.
You have no business buying computer stuff, then.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 20:38   Link #10
Farix

If you are not going to suggest something that fits the needs I stated, then don't respond at all, much less be a snob and tell me that I "have no business buying computer stuff", which is entirely insulting and disrespectful.
Old 2006-12-24, 20:51   Link #11
Soulfang
Inactive Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127158

I don't know how well this matches the switch you own as far as its appearance goes, but the D-Link DGL-4300 is by far the best router I've ever owned, as far as performance goes. Don't let D-Link's somewhat sketchy record in the past with routers deter you from getting this one.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 06:19   Link #12
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere View Post
NO, DO NOT USE DD-WRT, it will make you need to reset the damn thing daily, even if you mess with timeouts and stuff. I highly recommend HyperWRT+Thibor for WRT54G[S]'s that run Linux (GL included)
Which version are you talking about? I am using a daily of v24 from late August/early September on my own router, which I use as a VPN endpoint (PPTP) so I can get to my network at home (which is in Fresno) from, say, work or in this case from my family residence in Sacramento.

Right now, my only real gripe is that they don't have transparent bridging fully working yet along with allowing multiple SSIDs to be assigned to VLANs as well as creating a separate DHCP pool per VLAN.

And in my case, I have several Buffalo WHR-G54S units. Great little routers if you want something that's Linux-based. They're dirt cheap at Best Buy.

Then in a later message, you say:
Quote:
You have no business buying computer stuff, then.
My my my, how presumptuous, kind sir. No need for insults. If he doesn't like Cisco LinkSys' styling, that's entirely his prerogative. And if you're not able to give advice and have nothing better than to insult someone, there's no use talking at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
Don't let D-Link's somewhat sketchy record in the past with routers deter you from getting this one.
For my part, they've already lost my business.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 11:38   Link #13
Kurz

Actually I own a DLINK Gamer router.
Its Damn good however horribly Expensive.
Though it has a Wired only version, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127060

Right now I have 6 torrents running 3 are seeding others are downloading a bit slow however once the tracker is back up I can download alot faster. Trust me this one product they put out is probably one of the best I've seen from Dlink. At first I thought I'd never buy from them again boy was I wrong.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-12-25, 12:46   Link #14
martino
makes no files now

Linksys WRT54G. I've been using it for over two years now, running on third-part firmware and has been up 24/7. Linksys support was absolutely superb as well...

BT runs like a dream...
Old 2006-12-25, 15:20   Link #15
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I don't have a reccomendation.

However, I'd strongly advise you to stay the hell away from Netgear. I've been through 5 Netgear modems, every one of them got so damn hot after extended use that you could fry an egg on top of them.

And they all had to be rebooted atleast twice a day. This was on several different models to, its not like I kept getting the same model and had this happen.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 07:32   Link #16

Have you considered Apple's Airport Extreme? You can use and configure it in a Windows-only environment. It should pass your aesthetics requirements, and its footprint is reasonably small as well. However, I don't believe it supports UPnP, as Apple uses zeroconf. Also, it's quite expensive compared to other similarly capable products.

I've used home routers from several companies, and IMHO all of them have reliability problems. I commonly hear stories where a certain model works great for some, yet a different unit of the same model totally blows for other. I believe this is because the margin is so low for home routers they just have to let some QC issues slide. Low margins also leads to the proliferation of hardware revisions with the same model name/number--Linksys is notorious for this--which is probably another reason why some people have problems while other don't.

So I suggest you buy retail, and choose any router that matches your other criteria within your budget, and hope for the best. If it didn't work out, try a different one.