AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-29, 18:25   Link #481
August138

According to the Vol. 0 of "Space Battleship Yamato Logbook" (the relaunch of the old "Yamato Fan Club" magazine), here are the Gamilas numbers for 0 through 10 (these were also discussed on the third episode of internet radio show, YRA Radio Yamato):

0:ゼオ (Zeo)、1:アル (Aru)、2:ベオ (Beo)、3:ネル (Neru)、4:ジー (Jii)、5:ガル (Garu)、6:ギグ (Gigu)、7:ゼク (Zeku)、8:パク (Baku)、9:ピア (Bea)、10:ケス (Kesu).
Old 2012-05-29, 21:03   Link #482
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If they maintained the Gamilas-Japanese languages for the whole show (which I doubt they will), those potental future meeting between Dessler and Kodai will be really weird.

Though I wonder...there is one rather famous speech Kodai gives near the end (Victoy Tastes like Ashes speech) and then their is Dessler's epiphany much later on. I wonder how the character personality changes as well as how the Japanese have changed since the 1970s will effect those scenes. I know both were altered for Star Blazers (especially the "Victory Tastes like Ashes" speech, since it was pretty much dropped entirely) but Desslok's epiphany, while a little different, still comes off rather well.

The back cover art is rather nice on the BD. Gamilus fleet engaging Yamato.

Also the BD comes with something that looks like a coupon or special offer from Emotion Family Club. No idea what it is, or what it is for. Anyone else get that and know what it is?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-29 at 22:03. Reason: word correction
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 21:56   Link #483
August138

It's a point club coupon, I believe (I'm not home, so I can't check it).
Old 2012-05-29, 22:54   Link #484
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If they maintained the Gamilas-Japanese languages for the whole show (which I doubt they will), those potental future meeting between Dessler and Kodai will be really weird.
In the new trailer Schulz seems to be speaking japanese.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 00:01   Link #485
August138

That might only be for the benefit of he trailer, since it seemed that most of the dialogue in it was overlapped, and not in the context of the actual sequences. But, I guess we'll find out for sure in late June/early July (or unless any actual clips are posted beforehand).

Last edited by August138; 2012-05-30 at 04:36.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 05:11   Link #486
macdawson

Wonder if they'll pul a "Hunt for Red October" stunt, language wise... XDDD
Old 2012-05-30, 05:30   Link #487
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Most of their dialog is in Japanese. They're not actually speaking Japanese though, it's just for the convenience of the viewer.

They leave some of the background dialog in Gamilian, and occasionally they'll sprinkle some into the Japanese dialog, too.
We've elected to leave those words transliterated and italicized in the dialog, as their meaning tends to be explained inline.

For anything with Japanese subtitles on it we'll translate it inside < >.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 14:59   Link #488
August138

Thanks for the heads up and explanation, Sam!

Also, I had a question about the translations: I noticed that there were several nautical allusions, such as "Set Sail", etc., but at the same time when the crew interacts, "Hai" just becomes, "Yes" or "Yes, Sir", and not "Aye, aye" or "Aye, Sir". I was curious, as a fellow subtitle scripter, if this was even considered?

I beg your forgiveness, but I noticed three minor gaffes in the first two episodes (only because I'm a hardcore Yamato freak, and this is just my inner nerd going into overdrive, so my apologies): When referencing "Amaterasu" and "Uzume", they are rendered as if they are ship designations, but they are actually codenames. The Iscandarian ship already had a proper name, 「シェヘラザード」(Sheherazaado), and "Uzume" is the codename for the Martian Recovery Team for the Wave Motion Core (Kodai and Shima).

When we first see Shultz (I just can't bare to render his name as "Schultz", because I start thinking of the character in "Hogan's Heroes" — LOL!), he orders the preparation of the "Planet Bombs", but they launch the "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile" instead, which I thought was odd. So, I went back and checked the Japanese subs for the Gamilian translation, and he did say, "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile", not "Planet Bombs"「遊星爆弾」(Yusei Bakudan). This may have caused confusion with the Japanese for "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile", which is 「惑星間弾道弾」, where this mistake must have originated (although, in the rest of the episode, the subtitles renders it properly as "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile").

And... Well, I seem to have forgotten the third — Geritol, please! —so without looking over the two episodes again, I'll just bring up the topic of the Crew Rankings. When Okita is looking at the Top Secret Manifest for the Yamato Plan, Kodai and Shima are designated as "Third Lieutenant", which was extrapolated from 「三尉」(Sanjo), which should be an "Ensign", based on the rankings of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Forces. Meanwhile, Shiro Sanada is ranked as "Major", from 「三佐」(Sansa), which is indeed "Major" in the Ground Self-Defense Forces (which is the equivelent Branch the character comes from in the 2199's military system). But, when he boards the Yamato, should he now become "Lieutenant Commander", which is the same "Sansa" ranking in the Maritime Self-Defense Forces, since he is now in the Cosmo Navy?

Inquiring Yamato nerds want to know!

Above and beyond these nitpicks, I want to say that I am grateful for the hard work you guys are doing and thankful that this release even includes such literate English Subtitles. Keep up the excellent work —I'm a fan!
Old 2012-05-30, 21:08   Link #489
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Thanks for the heads up and explanation, Sam!

Also, I had a question about the translations: I noticed that there were several nautical allusions, such as "Set Sail", etc., but at the same time when the crew interacts, "Hai" just becomes, "Yes" or "Yes, Sir", and not "Aye, aye" or "Aye, Sir". I was curious, as a fellow subtitle scripter, if this was even considered?
We tended to keep the nautical allusions when they're in the original lines (which happens a lot), however "hai" is non-specific (it's used in all manner of contexts), and "Aye, sir" has certain implications with character voicing (it's very... evocative?). It'd probably be a good idea for an ADR script but it could distract from the subs otherwise.

Quote:
I beg your forgiveness, but I noticed three minor gaffes in the first two episodes (only because I'm a hardcore Yamato freak, and this is just my inner nerd going into overdrive, so my apologies): When referencing "Amaterasu" and "Uzume", they are rendered as if they are ship designations, but they are actually codenames. The Iscandarian ship already had a proper name, 「シェヘラザード」(Sheherazaado), and "Uzume" is the codename for the Martian Recovery Team for the Wave Motion Core (Kodai and Shima).
I think the editor wasn't sure about what they were referring to, and the changes weren't caught during check. I'll look into it.

Quote:
When we first see Shultz (I just can't bare to render his name as "Schultz", because I start thinking of the character in "Hogan's Heroes" — LOL!), he orders the preparation of the "Planet Bombs", but they launch the "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile" instead, which I thought was odd. So, I went back and checked the Japanese subs for the Gamilian translation, and he did say, "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile", not "Planet Bombs"「遊星爆弾」(Yusei Bakudan). This may have caused confusion with the Japanese for "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile", which is 「惑星間弾道弾」, where this mistake must have originated (although, in the rest of the episode, the subtitles renders it properly as "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile").
Don't worry, his name is officially "Shultz". And I think what happened with that line was that the editor didn't realize that they were 2 different things and shortened the dialog (by replacing the longer "interplanetary ballistic missile" with "planet bomb" to make sure it fit on a single line (especially since it had to go above the Japanese caption), and that wasn't caught in check... This is why only have a week isn't enough to catch everything...

Quote:
And... Well, I seem to have forgotten the third — Geritol, please! —so without looking over the two episodes again, I'll just bring up the topic of the Crew Rankings. When Okita is looking at the Top Secret Manifest for the Yamato Plan, Kodai and Shima are designated as "Third Lieutenant", which was extrapolated from 「三尉」(Sanjo), which should be an "Ensign", based on the rankings of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Forces. Meanwhile, Shiro Sanada is ranked as "Major", from 「三佐」(Sansa), which is indeed "Major" in the Ground Self-Defense Forces (which is the equivelent Branch the character comes from in the 2199's military system). But, when he boards the Yamato, should he now become "Lieutenant Commander", which is the same "Sansa" ranking in the Maritime Self-Defense Forces, since he is now in the Cosmo Navy?

Inquiring Yamato nerds want to know!

Above and beyond these nitpicks, I want to say that I am grateful for the hard work you guys are doing and thankful that this release even includes such literate English Subtitles. Keep up the excellent work —I'm a fan!
The Third Lieutenant thing was a correction by Prod. IG... At the time we weren't in a position to argue, but I think that was their error. The ranking translations we're using (or rather, that Production IG has approved) are not necessarily strictly conforming to the MSDF, but at least should be self-consistent.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 21:13   Link #490
August138

Sam, thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions — I really appreciate your patience — cheers and keep up the fantastic work!

As far as Production I.G's mistake on the Ensign/Third Lieutenant issue, you might want to show them this official I.D. Card. A thousand of which were given out to attendees of the February event at the Yomiuri Hall:

Old 2012-05-30, 22:25   Link #491
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As mentioned, sci-fi fans are a lot pickier than they were 40 years ago. As long as the producers are consistant on the ranks things should be fine, even with the English speaker's protesting specifics on ranks (much like I was earlier in the thread when we had even less information).

The Third Lieutenant thing makes me sigh and shake my head only because there is no rank named that in any current force in the world. The Japanese yet have 「三尉」, but they split their ranks into basically two types each with three ranks. The junior officers grades 「尉」, and the senior officers grades 「佐」, with the flag officer ranks above and Warrent Officer below. These would match the US Navy designations of (Warrent Officer) - (Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, and Lieutenant) - (Lieutenant Commander, Commander, and Captain) - (Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, and Admiral)

For Air and Ground Forces these would be (Warrent Officer) - (Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, and Captain) - (Major, Lieutenant Colonel, and Colonel) - (Major General, Lieutenant General, and General).

They also have seven enlisted ranks, but those don't seem to come into play much (much like in Star Trek, the enlisted ranks were generally unimportant unless they were a Chief Petty Officer. Eventhe "Red Shirt" were usually ensigns).

(There is also "Midshipmen" which are basically cadets still in academy. I don't know if the Japanese still use that term for students at the National Defense Academy of Japan)

Now it is entirely possible that the rank system could have changed in nearly 200 years. But since the current rank system is at least that old, or older (Royal Navy old) somehow I doubt it. Though it might be different simply because it is a space navy and not an ocean navy. It is still a Navy. Even says so on their patches.

(I may have a more indepth review of the episodes Sunday or later...after I get that BD player.)
Old 2012-05-31, 06:17   Link #492
macdawson

Having only watched the movie version on Bandai-channel without the benefit of subtitles, can anyone clarify what's going on between Okita and Hijikata in the scene where Okita is packing his bag? Hijikata seems pissed at something...
Old 2012-05-31, 12:06   Link #493
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From Oricon via MyAnimeList:
Quote:
Blu-ray
*1, 43,263 43,263 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*2, 17,452 17,452 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.6 Limited Edition
*3, 15,908 15,908 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*4, 15,877 15,877 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition
*5, *7,581 *7,581 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.5
*6, *6,549 *6,549 Highschool DxD vol.3
*7, *5,723 *5,723 The iDOLM@STER vol.8 Limited Edition
*8, *5,610 *5,610 Ano Natsu de Matteru vol.3 Limited Edition
*9, *5,578 *5,578 Aquarion Evol vol.2

DVD
*1, 10,186 *,*10,186 Gintama' vol.11 Limited Edition
*2, *7,515 *,**7,515 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*3, *6,101 *,**6,101 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*4, *5,909 *,**5,909 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition
*5, *4,630 *,**4,630 Inu x Boku SS vol.3 Limited Edition
*6, *3,394 *,**3,394 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi vol.4 Limited Edition
*7, *3,061 *,**3,061 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 vol.6 Limited Edition
*8, *2,455 *,**2,455 Eureka Seven DVD Box vol.2
*9, *2,225 *,**2,225 Highschool DxD vol.3
Third is good. It isn't going 30k+ but it is only the first week.

Think that would qualify as a success for a limited release film that hasn't really been on TV yet?

Also do you think such numbers will qualify it for a sequel?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-31 at 12:35.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 13:10   Link #494
August138

Spoiler for Question: Okita & Hijikata:

Spoiler for Answer: Okita & Hijikata:
Old 2012-05-31, 13:15   Link #495
August138

Quote:
Think that would qualify as a success for a limited release film that hasn't really been on TV yet?
Yes. Especially since the first two volumes have also been in the Top Ten on Amazon Japan's rankings since they were each put up for pre-orders, sight-unseen.

Quote:
Also do you think such numbers will qualify it for a sequel?
First, I think that's getting way ahead of ourselves. Secondly, Yutaka Izubuchi said he was only interested in doing this project because it was a remake of the first series, and wasn't interested in Yamato sequels. So, unless they get someone as mad about Yamato as Izubuchi...
Old 2012-05-31, 13:54   Link #496
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Profit is still a powerful motivator.

Though for me (and several other people) we just really want to see Andromeda and the fleet in action with these effects and style.
Old 2012-05-31, 14:12   Link #497
August138

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the original 1974 series, above all others, because when I became a fan, the second feature film and television series did not exist yet. So, I'm as excited as the folks working on this series are — I've many times day dreamt of remaking the first series, both as live action, and animated versions, and going by the original 39-episode plan. I even pondered redoing the animation for the first series, but going by the original audio tracks and storyboards. So, when this project was greenlit, I couldn't have been more happy, especially considering everyone working on YAMATO: 2199, and then upon seeing the first two episodes... I could care less if they take the profits from this and make YAMATO: RESURRECTION PART 2, I'm good with 2199. And if we do get a "Yamato: 2201", that's okay, too.
Old 2012-05-31, 14:59   Link #498
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Where as I came in later due to age. I started on Star Blazers when it was being shown locally on weekday mornings (either channel 36 or 40...I don't recall which. I don't recall hearing of channel 2 ever playing it in the morning). I have the feeling I was below the age of even the distributor's target audiance since I was probably around three or four. I don't recall were in the series I started.

I have a higher memory of the second season than the first, though still have memories of at least some of these episodes including the first one. A few I don't remember, either due to age, or perhaps they were not shown. I've seen them all since then.
Old 2012-05-31, 15:31   Link #499
August138

Well, I was in grammar school when YAMATO first launched in 1974, but I have extremely good recall of life-impacting epiphanies and events — seeing the four original Bandai model kits (with wind-up motors) in 1975 at a local Japanese shop, here in San Francisco, was one of them. A fellow classmate, who just moved here from Japan, couldn't help but tease me, "Don't you know this? It's SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO! I saw it, and you didn't!" LOL! Shigeru Komatsuzaki's artwork on the boxes screamed at me, I became obsessed... and a couple of years later, I was knees deep in the Yamato Boom! The first version I got to see was the first English-dubbed movie, "Space Cruiser Yamato", being screened in "Japanese Animation Room" at WesterCon, run by the C/FO in early 1979. So, Imagine my shock and surprise when our local station ran the first preview for STAR BLAZERS that September, and I started shouting, "It's YAMATO! It's YAMATO! It's YAMATO!" — LOL! — I never dreamt that the series would be localized and syndicated (and localized pretty faithfully, too).

(Interestingly, earlier that year, our local Japanese-American station ran CAPTAIN HARLOCK with English Subtitles. And I hoped that they would grab YAMATO, too.)
Old 2012-05-31, 18:10   Link #500
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post

Spoiler for Answer: Okita & Hijikata:
My guess was along those lines. And if i may be so bold and ask...

Spoiler:

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato