AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2016-02-01, 10:54   Link #3741
Asehpe

I'm intrigued by the concept movie's focus on the concept of Happiness. What is Happiness to Madoka? Or to Homura? For some strange reason, that makes me think of Vanilla Sky. Might be nothing, though.
Asehpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-03, 06:10   Link #3742
lovetospoon73

Hey at least it isn't the typical mushy b.s that most magical girl anime has
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 11:23   Link #3743
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Have any of you ever heard of Internet movie critic Tim Brayton? I was first introduced to him via a series of very in-depth reviews of Disney's animated canon (go into his lists of reviews), and he is one of most erudite online critics I've yet stumbled upon.

Welp, as part of a series of reader review requests in exchange for donations to the American Cancer Society, he's just reviewed the 3 Madoka movies. Come take a gander.

http://antagonie.blogspot.com/2016/0...-wish-for.html

Last edited by andyjay729; 2016-02-23 at 22:17. Reason: URL update
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-15, 01:11   Link #3744
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Have any of you ever heard of Internet movie critic Tim Brayton? I was first introduced to him via a series of very in-depth reviews of Disney's animated canon (go into his lists of reviews), and he is one of most erudite online critics I've yet stumbled upon.

Welp, as part of a series of reader review requests in exchange for donations to the American Cancer Society, he's just reviewed the 3 Madoka movies. Come take a gander.

http://antagonie.blogspot.com/
Hmmm, it seems to me that he was the most positive to the first movie, somewhat less positive towards the second because the editing felt less tight, and had a lot of issues with Rebellion despite also seeing a lot of great aspects to its direction and visual style etc... Yet he gave all three movies the same rating? I mean, after all his criticisms of Rebellion where it seemed he really only liked the middle hour of the movie and had serious beefs with both the beginning and the end, I really didn't expect him to rate it as high as he did.
Old 2016-02-15, 09:36   Link #3745
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Hmmm, it seems to me that he was the most positive to the first movie, somewhat less positive towards the second because the editing felt less tight, and had a lot of issues with Rebellion despite also seeing a lot of great aspects to its direction and visual style etc... Yet he gave all three movies the same rating? I mean, after all his criticisms of Rebellion where it seemed he really only liked the middle hour of the movie and had serious beefs with both the beginning and the end, I really didn't expect him to rate it as high as he did.
I think he thought the artwork was just THAT good. And as he said in the comments, he was glad that he hadn't known about some of Urobuchi's comments while watching the show that had soured at least one other viewer. Feel free to respond to him in the comment section as I did, though you need a Blogger or Google Plus account first.
Old 2016-02-18, 01:21   Link #3746
OkamiNoKaze

I've just been reading, Homura Tamura, it's hilarious. Anyone else?
Old 2016-02-19, 14:14   Link #3747
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Yea, I read it too. Best explanation for Mami's bad luck, ever.
Old 2016-02-22, 00:00   Link #3748
fuff

when is the new madoka project starting?
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 00:54   Link #3749
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuff View Post
when is the new madoka project starting?
At the moment, no further info has been given. I'd say not until the fall season at the very earliest, but next year is probably more likely.
Old 2016-02-23, 20:29   Link #3750
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I recently wrote a Madoka Magica series review for one of the social groups I'm in. I figured some people here might also find it interesting to read, so I'm posting it here. Please tell me what you think of it if you do read it through.

Spoiler for What Causes Madoka Magica's Popularity?:
Old 2016-02-23, 21:24   Link #3751
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I recently wrote a Madoka Magica series review for one of the social groups I'm in. I figured some people here might also find it interesting to read, so I'm posting it here. Please tell me what you think of it if you do read it through.
That was pretty amazingly written. I'd definitely agree on PMMM coming across as a CoA story from Madoka's side alone, but I hadn't extended that to the rest of them that way. You kind of glossed over Sayaka a bit at the beginning though; my memory of the anime is a bit rusty, but I don't remember the anime portraying her lifestyle as particularly adult-like, at least not in comparison to the other three.

Putting aside whether or not this analysis could be attributed to why Madoka was such a success, if nothing else, I can definitely get on board with this being an underlying theme.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 00:32   Link #3752
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
@Triple R

Well done analysis. Madoka seems more down to earth rather than grimdark as many fans put it.
Old 2016-03-21, 12:36   Link #3753
marston241

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I've just been reading, Homura Tamura, it's hilarious. Anyone else?
Yes. I found the first volume at a barnes and nobles a few months after I first saw this series, and later I bought the 2nd volume after it came out. It's a really hilarious parody of PMMM, and it's also really crazy too. Poor Homura.
marston241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-21, 22:48   Link #3754
OkamiNoKaze

Is there a Tart Magica thread?
Old 2016-08-31, 09:19   Link #3755
How2begut
Yeah piss piss

I really love that this new film seems more darker and philosophical and it feels like a welcome change to the Madoka magica series.
Old 2017-04-29, 20:44   Link #3756
DKN117

Do we have any official data on height measurements for the main five girls?
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 13:23   Link #3757
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
https://images.puella-magi.net/e/ec/...20111204064051 Here ya go.
Old 2017-10-26, 22:53   Link #3758
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

It's been asked a few times now, but...do you think Madoka will be continued? There was that "concept movie", but it was almost two years ago now, and there don't seem to be any signs that anything is in production (Shaft of course currently has their hands very full with 3gatsu and Fate). And now, four years after Rebellion and almost seven after series' debut (seriously, it was that long ago?), much of the fandom seems to have moved on. So if there ever was a serious plan to continue Madoka to a proper end, did Shaft and Aniplex possibly decide that it wouldn't be worth it at this point?
Old 2017-10-26, 23:48   Link #3759
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
It's been asked a few times now, but...do you think Madoka will be continued? There was that "concept movie", but it was almost two years ago now, and there don't seem to be any signs that anything is in production (Shaft of course currently has their hands very full with 3gatsu and Fate). And now, four years after Rebellion and almost seven after series' debut (seriously, it was that long ago?), much of the fandom seems to have moved on. So if there ever was a serious plan to continue Madoka to a proper end, did Shaft and Aniplex possibly decide that it wouldn't be worth it at this point?
They said there was a new full-fledged project in the work and that the concept movie was like the rough outline for it or something... but yeah, it's been two years with absolutely no further elaboration on that point whatsoever, and I'm frequently seeing posts about how the original staff are now working on entirely different things. Starting to have my doubts about whether this new project will ever actually see the light of day.
Old 2017-10-27, 00:29   Link #3760
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
They said there was a new full-fledged project in the work and that the concept movie was like the rough outline for it or something... but yeah, it's been two years with absolutely no further elaboration on that point whatsoever, and I'm frequently seeing posts about how the original staff are now working on entirely different things. Starting to have my doubts about whether this new project will ever actually see the light of day.
Well, that's sad. Hopefully Madoka won't end up "Haruhi'd", for much the same reasons Haruhi was. The recent cellphone game has drawn some interest, though.

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen