AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-05-28, 23:37   Link #21
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... and I just burned through all that's out... this series is definitely a keeper! Shame that it's either bi-weekly or monthly (well, that's what I'm guessing due to page count), but it has quite a few strong points:

First off, it reminds me of Haruhi in a few ways, but IMO, it has a few traits that make it just a bit better than Haruhi:

1) Though Medaka is strong and bossy (like Haruhi), Zenkichi, unlike Kyon, isn't entirely dragged along by pure force and thinking that she's just a crazy girl. That, and he also isn't your weakn male protagonist that is far too common these days...

2) Medaka is just a little bit more open about her feelings for Zenkichi than Haruhi is towards Kyon... and she seems to trust him just a bit more then Haruhi does for Kyon. Or rather, she doesn't try to disguise her trust like Haruhi seems to be doing half the time

But enough about Haruhi. I really want to see how this series turns out... it has a ton of potential that could make it quite fun

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 23:41   Link #22
Xacual

No its a weekly series that just started. I'm sure it will get down to the 19ish page chapters once it gets more established.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 23:42   Link #23
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Just started explains the lack of chapters... but if it's a weekly manga, then that's just pure awesomeness. I'll probably add this to my list of "manga that i need my weekly fix of"

Old 2009-05-29, 01:31   Link #24
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
No its a weekly series that just started. I'm sure it will get down to the 19ish page chapters once it gets more established.
Yep, that's what I was going to say. Gotta thank Bakuman for teaching me that stuff *was unaware of how manga producing works*

On topic: Loved it, which is rare, since I usually wait for 5-6 chapters to come out before I make a decision.
Shiranui is easily my favorite so far. Kinda reminds me of Yuki as in how she seems to know everything, except way louder.

Last edited by Who; 2009-05-29 at 01:49.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 08:10   Link #25
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good

Its not overly special and the female lead is too good at everything, hopefully a weakness will be portrayed. I'm not keen on the male lead either and the manner he is controlled. I don't expect anything too great from this manga other than it being light hearted. Its too early to tell what direction it may take however so I will reserve judgement on the plot and the genres that it covers.
Sun Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 11:32   Link #26
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Yep, that's what I was going to say. Gotta thank Bakuman for teaching me that stuff *was unaware of how manga producing works*

On topic: Loved it, which is rare, since I usually wait for 5-6 chapters to come out before I make a decision.
Shiranui is easily my favorite so far. Kinda reminds me of Yuki as in how she seems to know everything, except way louder.
Shiranui for me falls under "that school classmate that somehow gathers info better than an army of the worlds best ninjas"
like that lass from Alive or the one from Kaze no Stigma. Not sure what to make of them really but Shiranui does come across better than what I usually see of this type of character. Her waiting to Zenkichi to be mauled was plain funny

I'm actually hoping that another girl will appear and take a liking to Zenkichi, so I get my rivalry
Old 2009-05-29, 11:56   Link #27
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I'm actually hoping that another girl will appear and take a liking to Zenkichi, so I get my rivalry
I rather expect a male rival for Zenkichi. His love for her is, till now, undoubtful, yet Mendaka got jealous, so she has her doubts . In the series she didn't confessed her love to Zenkichi, she is just telling everyone that he loves her. In a way she is treating him like a puppy.

I could imagine an arc, where some "super male" will appear and cause of misunderstandig or her "smartness becoming stupidity", Mendaka and that male will be recognized as a couple. Zenkichi is not a sissy, if he will jump to conclusion that Mendaka dumped him, he wont sit and cry. He will somehow proof that "super male" is just a small vilian or/and less masculine than Zenkichi, but he will not automaticly come back to Mendaka after that. She will have to gain his trust again.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 12:04   Link #28
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

... her saying "he loves me' was only in the one shot... he actually admitted his love for her in the series, though only the audience knows this

Old 2009-05-29, 16:45   Link #29
ellifeedn
Thinker

This is a cute series. I think I'll stick around. One thing though; in chapter 3, how is Medaka able to wag the tail?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 16:58   Link #30
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
One thing though; in chapter 3, how is Medaka able to wag the tail?
Possible explanation would also explain, why this series is tagged as echii

Old 2009-05-29, 17:06   Link #31
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
I rather expect a male rival for Zenkichi. His love for her is, till now, undoubtful, yet Mendaka got jealous, so she has her doubts .
Let's have the best of both worlds and have both a female AND male rival!
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 17:18   Link #32
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

... yeah, but that sounds like it would be going the shoujo route. Althopugh, I guess in a sense we already have the female rival (shiranui... seeing as how Medaka was getting jealous, though I don't there's anything between Zenkichi and Shiranui)

however, I don't need too much drama here... I have other series for that

Old 2009-05-30, 00:11   Link #33
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I was contemplating making a thread about this but looks like someone already did it. And I'm really surprised at how many positive responses there are. Only other comments I've read elsewhere have them comparing this series to Akaboshi and deciding Medaka Box to be mediocre and Akaboshi to be very promising.

Well, Akaboshi totally feels like another Naruto or One Piece so no duh there.

Either case, I was expecting way more criticism.

Now I dunno about a male rival. Medaka is so superhuman that pretty much any other guy might feel way too intimidated to try to live up to her standards. I do predict a super male will show up at some point and try to impress her with equally superhuman traits and abilities, although all it really takes is to be genuinely concerned for her as a human being as Zenkichi does. And Medaka utterly trouncing the super male in the end anyway.

I think the beauty of this manga so far isn't about finding out if Medaka has a weakness, but about how could someone so flawlessly perfect as Medaka see anything of worth in someone as ordinary as Zenkichi. We would get an extremely emo and unconfident male lead in any other manga, but Zenkichi looks to be thankfully different.
Old 2009-05-30, 01:05   Link #34
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I don't see any male rivals for Zenkichi to deal with but I do see a lot of inconsequential Medaka admirers popping up. I just don't believe that any of these admirers will really capture Medaka's interest at all even if Zenkichi perceives them as a threat. I see female admirers of Zenkichi popping up as well, but I really don't believe that the two main characters will have any significant feelings for any characters other than each other. Real love rivals would create an awkward drama that will interrupt the light flow of this manga.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 01:57   Link #35
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
I was contemplating making a thread about this but looks like someone already did it. And I'm really surprised at how many positive responses there are. Only other comments I've read elsewhere have them comparing this series to Akaboshi and deciding Medaka Box to be mediocre and Akaboshi to be very promising.
Akaboshi rubs me the wrong way. Uncaring hero! Overpowered bastard who do good things "because he's annoyed!" Look at him he's so goddamn awesome with his emo, tired eyes and anti-social leanings! Is he not a shounen hero? Hmm? HMM? And I was like, well %#$^ you ****head. The Middle Kingdom doesn't need your postmodern apathy crap. Bring back Zhuge and Cao over this little kid any day.

Medaka Box, on the other hand, is kind of awesome. Zenkichi's attitude towards Medaka is far, far better than it could have been like (he could have been all emo about her perfection for example, and that would suck), while the jealousy chapter endears me to Medaka. She isn't just some kind of superwoman who would throw him away if he can't keep up, but actually like him. As a woman would love a puppy or her lover I wouldn't know yet, but that's part of the fun.

Which kind of makes a serious rival something I don't want to see though. It doesn't need Peach Girl kind of drama to weight it down.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 02:26   Link #36
Ice-CooL

I don't now, but the last time I checked this was NOT a Shojo series, if it was you can bet there would be a male rival for Zenkichi, but this is a Shounen Ecchi for BOYS, and the last thing boys want to see is a MALE rival...
IF there is a rival, and there is a big IF, it will be a hot female for more Ecchi situations and Medaka jealousy...
Ice-CooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 06:35   Link #37
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Akaboshi rubs me the wrong way. Uncaring hero! Overpowered bastard who do good things "because he's annoyed!" Look at him he's so goddamn awesome with his emo, tired eyes and anti-social leanings! Is he not a shounen hero? Hmm? HMM? And I was like, well %#$^ you ****head. The Middle Kingdom doesn't need your postmodern apathy crap. Bring back Zhuge and Cao over this little kid any day.

Medaka Box, on the other hand, is kind of awesome. Zenkichi's attitude towards Medaka is far, far better than it could have been like (he could have been all emo about her perfection for example, and that would suck), while the jealousy chapter endears me to Medaka. She isn't just some kind of superwoman who would throw him away if he can't keep up, but actually like him. As a woman would love a puppy or her lover I wouldn't know yet, but that's part of the fun.

Which kind of makes a serious rival something I don't want to see though. It doesn't need Peach Girl kind of drama to weight it down.
I'm the same, theres something about Akaboshi that just doesn't sit right with me. Not sure what it is that doesn't sit right but its there, unlike Medaka Box which I just love.
and with ch 4 showing us how cool Zenkichi is only gets better but the last pages kinda worry me about possible rivals just gotta hope it won't turn out like I'm thinking>__<
Old 2009-05-30, 07:14   Link #38
Arturro

Don't know japanese, so it's just my thoughst after watching raws

Spoiler:

Some speculation...
Zenkichi and Medaka are childhood friends, they have feelings for each other, yet they are not a couple. Why? Medaka is a heir to very rich family, there is a chance, that her parents have found a fiance for her already. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Arturro; 2009-05-30 at 08:30.
Old 2009-05-30, 09:32   Link #39
Tiberium Wolf

I really love the part that Medaka mimic the pose of the other person and have an arrow pointing at her. It's so damn funny.
Old 2009-05-30, 09:55   Link #40
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

need moar Medaka-swan!!!
Oh dear..

Fark off

Stop trying to steal every damn one of them

Medaka is simply a sex up version of Haruhi.. Which suits me just fine
>> Tsukiumi