AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-15, 04:04   Link #21
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Hi there, I'd like to request a "Suzumiya Haruhi Novel Translation Thread", something akin to the "Shuffle! Game Translation Thread" (link below).

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26409

The thread would deal solely with discussion among novel owners/readers on how to get the novels translated to English, as there are no known licensed English versions of the novels to date.
Old 2006-04-15, 06:15   Link #22
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Hi there, I'd like to request a "Suzumiya Haruhi Novel Translation Thread", something akin to the "Shuffle! Game Translation Thread" (link below).

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26409

The thread would deal solely with discussion among novel owners/readers on how to get the novels translated to English, as there are no known licensed English versions of the novels to date.
OK, but since I'm not at all sure how it should be started can you (Kinny Riddle) make a post (in this thread) as if you were creating a new Suzumiya Haruhi Novel Translation Thread. Post an introduction paragraph as if you were making the first post of a new thread.

Once posted I (or another Mod) can split it from this thread and use it to create the new thread.

One point to note, I don't mind if the object of the thread is to discuss the novel translations (the problems, issues, meanings, interpretation) but what will not be allowed is for the thread to contain the translation itself. That needs to be made clear from the first post.
Old 2006-04-15, 11:53   Link #23
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
Also, I will add, it is my opinion that the "Episode 1 Discussion" thread should be kept stickied, along with the most recent aired episode (Ep 3 from tomorrow).
Hmmm...I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it needs to be left as a "sticky" for now. This forum (as a limited forum) won't become too large with topics and therefore finding Episode threads should be rather easy. If more people want to cross reference Episode One, then I would imagine the thread will stay close to the top of the forum (kind of like the Rozen Maiden thread that never dies) and be readily available.

Cheers.
Old 2006-04-15, 12:42   Link #24
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Maybe we need to clarify that by 'SOS-dan' here we're meaning more of a fan-club for the anime/its ideas with further in-club divisions to cater for fans of different characters. Kinda like taking the Shuffle-istic character groupings (KKK, NNN etc.) but with an umbrella organization above all that for the anime as a whole.

For example:

S.O.S. Operational Support Brigade
> Task Force 'H' - Haruhi
> 'Y' Xeno-Battalion - Yuki
> Chrono-corps 'M' - Mikuru
> etc.

Something like that
Hi.

I hate to say this, but I think a lot of us have an aversion toward "fan-club" threads because of what happened in the Shuffle! forum. The Shuffle! fan-clubs, while well intentioned, ended up generating a high volume of mostly useless and embarrassingly low quality posts/threads. The topics ended up resembling an IRC chat log rather than an intelligent threaded discussion.

It’s been our experience (so far) that fan-club threads have little residual value and their high volume "one liner" type replies are best suited for a different medium (such as IRC or blogs). I don't speak for all the Mods & Admins, but considering the potential for low quality content, I don’t think anyone is too jazzed about starting a fan-club thread of any sort.

Cheers.
Old 2006-04-15, 20:56   Link #25
Pakxenon
popcorn

How long before the start of the show should the episode threads be made? I'm going to say 6-9 hours before airing, around 1pm PST/EST.
Old 2006-04-16, 06:19   Link #26
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon
How long before the start of the show should the episode threads be made? I'm going to say 6-9 hours before airing, around 1pm PST/EST.
I think we try and aim for a day or so before it gets aired, but it's rather ad hoc.

One problem is that the air times seems to span a week or so (Post made by Sushi-Y in the Q & A thread).

Or is this a indirect request for us to get our finger out and create a new thread for ep 3
Old 2006-04-18, 04:25   Link #27
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Because it seems that as the novels progress, and thus as the series progresses, more and more (pseudo-)'metaphysical'/'philosophical' talk is/will be thrown in from various characters about what Haruhi is, I would like to request a "Speculation" thread of some sort. Right now these 'metaphysical/philosphical' discussions are inhabiting the Episode 3 Discussion Thread and the Series Prediction Thread but don't quite seem to fit in with the stated goal of those threads.

edit:
btw about the 'fan-club' post above, just in case anyone was wondering, I had earlier private messaged Catgirls saying I understood the concerns the mods have about 'fan-club threads'. Add to this the minor 'incident' that happened in the ep3 thread I can see where they come from

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-18, 11:42   Link #28
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Because it seems that as the novels progress, and thus as the series progresses, more and more (pseudo-)'metaphysical'/'philosophical' talk is/will be thrown in from various characters about what Haruhi is, I would like to request a "Speculation" thread of some sort. Right now these 'metaphysical/philosphical' discussions are inhabiting the Episode 3 Discussion Thread and the Series Prediction Thread but don't quite seem to fit in with the stated goal of those threads.
Hmmmm….actually, we have this thread going at the moment:

-> Future Episode Synopses/Series Predictions

I could add "General Speculation" to the title as well because it fits. The intention of that particular thread was to be a spot where people could speculate about the story, characters, future episodes, etc., etc.,..Does that existing thread fit what you’re looking for?
Old 2006-04-18, 11:54   Link #29
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Hi.

I hate to say this, but I think a lot of us have an aversion toward "fan-club" threads because of what happened in the Shuffle! forum. The Shuffle! fan-clubs, while well intentioned, ended up generating a high volume of mostly useless and embarrassingly low quality posts/threads. The topics ended up resembling an IRC chat log rather than an intelligent threaded discussion.

It’s been our experience (so far) that fan-club threads have little residual value and their high volume "one liner" type replies are best suited for a different medium (such as IRC or blogs). I don't speak for all the Mods & Admins, but considering the potential for low quality content, I don’t think anyone is too jazzed about starting a fan-club thread of any sort.

Cheers.
Thank you. The fan club threads are what drove me from the Shuffle forum to begin with.
Old 2006-04-18, 12:06   Link #30
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Hmmmm….actually, we have this thread going at the moment:

-> Future Episode Synopses/Series Predictions

I could add "General Speculation" to the title as well because it fits. The intention of that particular thread was to be a spot where people could speculate about the story, characters, future episodes, etc., etc.,..Does that existing thread fit what you’re looking for?
Well it does fit in all but name which was why I posted asking for a "Speculations" thread. Those discussions didn't seem to fit either terms of "Synopses" or "Predictions" but if you're going to add "Speculation" to the title then it fits perfectly

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-18, 12:13   Link #31
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Well it does fit in all but name which was why I posted asking for a "Speculations" thread. Those discussions didn't seem to fit either terms of "Synopses" or "Predictions" but if you're going to add "Speculation" to the title then it fits perfectly
"Specualtion" added. Let me know if that works out for your needs.
Old 2006-04-19, 05:22   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is it really a good idea to have both Spoilers and Speculation in the same place ... I mean would someone post his theory on something if there are spoilers everywhere... even if they are only from the novels and manga...

Even if posting your theory isn't a problem... what about posts like this...

Spoiler for Strait from the thread (series spoiler):

Wouldn't it be better to have a "Spoilers Q&A" thread were people can just post all the magazine and other kind of spoilers... and answer spoiler requests should anyone want to have something spoiled...

Like for example...
Quote:
This is thread is for future episode spoiler requests, answers and information.

Things allowed :
  • Posting magazine scans or other spoiler sources.
  • Posting questions which answers, you think, might involve spoilers
  • Posting Answers to questions that involve spoilers
  • Discussing the spoilers for future episodes.
Well... something like that... that way people can use the FAQ thread without serious spoilers rooming about... *points to the "Fate/stay night Q&A" thread*

Another thing... maybe I'm wrong but isn't stuff like this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Example
Yuki is really a...
Spoiler for Yuki's true nature:
unfriendly (1. people get spoiled without even reading the spoiler 2. it's hinting to a secret plot point... )

I would like to think that unless it's a spoiler from another show... the rule should just be to spoiler tag your entire post and always use the subject "Series Spoiler"... it would actually be easier to do... then to make 3 or more spoiler tags for every spoiler you have...

Could the old "Suzumiya Haruhi" thread be called "Suzumiya Haruhi [spoilers]" since it has some really big spoilers... and this isn't like other series *points to Naruto, Bleach* were even if you read a spoiler and you know that a fight would happen (and possibly the outcome) you still wouldn't have it spoiled... and even if you had it spoiled somehow... it's not like there wouldn't be others...

Just my thoughts regarding spoilers ...
Old 2006-04-19, 14:23   Link #33
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Could we have a thread for Haruhi AMVs/MADs? (If there are any yet? If there aren't, there darn well should be!)
Old 2006-04-19, 16:04   Link #34
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

What is a MAD?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-04-19, 16:39   Link #35
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
What is a MAD?
Google ("amv mad") gives me this (only a cache copy at the moment, page itself is unavailable).
Quote:
What is a MAD?

Today the word MAD stipulates an edited video or tape made as a parody from doujin circles. However, the true origin of this word comes from the Osaka University of Arts and Music. Around 1978, two members, Mr. Shimagawa and Mr. Y, of the group CAS began making medleys of anime and sentai show songs with guitars. After awhile, they decided to try and use their recordings as the actual background music for the shows. After this initial test, they eventually went into the realm of parody. Thus, the MAD was born.

At the same time, in a completely different place in Osaka, a middle school student named Imai had started his own MAD creation. It all began from his desire for the background music from the anime show Yamato. At the time no drama records had been released, so he recorded the BGM from the TV show where there was no dialogue and pieced the clips together to make a full song. After enjoying success in this first endeavor, he began to piece together dialogue from the show and create his own memorable scenes for the show. Upon sharing his works with his Yamato loving friends and having fun playing with words and quotes, they decided to actually edit the video as well. This ultimately led to the creation of the MAD Yamato club in their high school years. Finally, when Imai entered the Osaka University of Arts and Music, the fate of these MAD's were brought together. Imai, excited that there were others interested in such zany acts, took in the Sound MAD created by his senpai and released his NEW MAD SERIES.

Much time has passed and we now know MAD's as they exist today. One question you may ask is why they are called MAD's. This stems from the name of the tape that was first made. It was originally titled the Kichigai Tape (Tape of Madness), but for some reason or other the title was changed from Japanese to English.
Old 2006-04-20, 08:33   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So they're basically just scenes from the show mixed up with some music (also from the show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj
Could we have a thread for Haruhi AMVs/MADs? (If there are any yet? If there aren't, there darn well should be!)
Maybe they'll fit in the SOS団 Image Thread (wallpapers, screen caps, artwork, etc.)... the name might have to be changed to SOS-Dan Image/Video thread

Just how many of these AMV/MAD things do you have
Old 2006-04-20, 09:19   Link #37
Adigard

Quote:
Um, no? "MAD" is basically just what the Japanese call AMVs, by the seem of it. So the music could be from anything, not just from the show.
Ahhh... that makes a lot more sense ^^

//EDIT: based off Danj's post below

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-20 at 11:03.
Old 2006-04-20, 10:01   Link #38
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
So they're basically just scenes from the show mixed up with some music (also from the show)
Um, no? "MAD" is basically just what the Japanese call AMVs, by the seem of it. So the music could be from anything, not just from the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Just how many of these AMV/MAD things do you have
Well, I don't have any Haruhi ones, hence wanting a thread where people will post about ones they've discovered. Also, the Fate/Stay Night series forum got an AMV thread, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for one here.
Old 2006-04-20, 10:27   Link #39
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Well, I don't have any Haruhi ones, hence wanting a thread where people will post about ones they've discovered. Also, the Fate/Stay Night series forum got an AMV thread, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for one here.
Hmmm...well, why not. There might be a few interesting AMVs or various Suzumiya Haruhi videos in the future. Danj, can you post a reply here as if you're starting the thread. I'll make that post and you the topic starter for the AMV/MAD thread.

Edit: Done.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-20 at 11:45.
Old 2006-04-22, 12:23   Link #40
Bloodseeker

Some of these smaller forums come up with the most ridiculous ideas to cut down on traffic... at least this isn't as bad as the admins personally giving people posting privelages in certain forums based on a plea and a poll.
Closed Thread