AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 54 13.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 5.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 5.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 27 6.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 16 4.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.07%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 7 1.81%
1 out of 10 : Painful 196 50.78%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-10, 08:37   Link #541
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

wow... 27 pages in between creation and now? (<24hrs)

Problem is the maxim: good advert or bad advert .... its all GOOD advert because people are buzzing and eyeballs are on it. People actually drifting away would be bad from the marketing perspective.

Okay, obviously everyone has their line in the sand. Some people were wtf?ing after 2 eps, some after 3, 4... now my brain is wondering what the merit of this is at this point. Now I know how a teacher feels when watching 30 presentations on the same topic.

It is still *academically* interesting to watch the details from episode to episode but "entertaining" its not. Like npal, I think giving it a 1/10 is rather absurd unless you normally rate episode based on the accumulative effort of previous episodes. So... as a stand-alone implementation of the summer fun I give it a 6.

Why a 6? Because the quality of the animation and art for this series has been seriously deteriorating from the start of the new episodes -- they seem to be progressively shorting the budget. I don't believe its an "art style" interpretation but simply a *cheaper* sketchiness. I think I can count less than 3 "standard Kyoani glamour" moments in each iteration of Endless Eight -- usually Haruhi dripping water, a closeup still of Yuki, and sometimes one random (e.g. Itsuki).
Old 2009-07-10, 08:47   Link #542
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oh god a 5th iteration of the same episode next week? I can fully understand the complaints a lot of people are heaving at this season now. The Copehagenists are screaming in their graves.
Old 2009-07-10, 09:09   Link #543
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Man, I had a weird dream where I wanted a second season of a show really bad and when I finally got it, they just showed the same episode with minor changes over and over again. And then I woke up and found my nightmare was real.

It's an endless recursion of time. An endless recursion of time. An endless recursion of time. An endless recursion of time. An endless recursion of time.

From which there is apparently no escape.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2009-07-10, 09:10   Link #544
Jintor

It's possible - minutely possible, and this may be warm fuzzy clouds of self delusion, but - it's possible that the anime version of the conclusion will lend it more punch.
Old 2009-07-10, 09:17   Link #545
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Oh god a 5th iteration of the same episode next week? I can fully understand the complaints a lot of people are heaving at this season now. The Copehagenists are screaming in their graves.
Take note, we're actually expecting SIX. So you're one episode short. Also, we're also still not sure who among the directorial staff at KyoAni hasn't sat in the director's chair for Animation and Episodes, respectively, for Endless Eight.
Old 2009-07-10, 09:22   Link #546
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

It is still *academically* interesting to watch the details from episode to episode but "entertaining" its not. Like npal, I think giving it a 1/10 is rather absurd unless you normally rate episode based on the accumulative effort of previous episodes. So... as a stand-alone implementation of the summer fun I give it a 6.
I'll only argue on the part that when something is so blatantly getting copy-pasted for 4 episodes, it cannot have the benefit of being rated totally isolated. I'll also argue that ALL episodes in every series (should) get rated not only as being able to stand on their own but how they relate to the previous episodes in terms of characters and plot. Otherwise I'd rate every episode of Endless Eight with at least 7, but rating like that would disregard plot and character stagnation as well as obvious repetition. While I do believe 1/10 doesn't feel really right, I can't invalidate very low scores in general.
Old 2009-07-10, 09:23   Link #547
Justin Kim
*Artist

It is time to call in the governator. Or John Conner.
Old 2009-07-10, 09:49   Link #548
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I'm pretty sure this is my first post in this thread, but why do I have the feeling that it isn't? It's like I've seen this thread, with the same topics before, and I had engaged in discussion in it.

Anyway, after 28+ pages, only one noticed about the Vajra? The so far two references to Macross in Endless Eight have led me to conclude that the recursion occured during the summer of 2008.

Why is this recursion of episodes happening? Well, I overheard this guy calling up someone on his differently-designed-but-cool-phone:

Spoiler for eden of the east:
Old 2009-07-10, 09:53   Link #549
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post

Anyway, after 28+ pages, only one noticed about the Vajra? The so far two references to Macross in Endless Eight have led me to conclude that the recursion occured during the summer of 2008.
I did, it sounded familiar but I was too disinterested at that point to care about the reference. Kyon's "BOMBER!" preview comment back in Season 1 was epic win, this... it's in the wrong place at the wrong time...
Old 2009-07-10, 10:05   Link #550
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

I don't know. I actually enjoyed watching this latest iteration through the do-while loop. I admit, when I lurked my way through here yesterday and saw all those '1's', I wanted to throw my laptop at the wall . . . but I went to go find the new episode all the same.

The subtle differences make it enjoyable. Plus the fact that I have to wait a week between episodes gives time for the anticipation and the wonder at what might come next to build (will he, or won't he?)

I probably wouldn't be so fond of this during a marathon session, though.
Old 2009-07-10, 10:19   Link #551
Bri

I can't help but love these episodes. The repetition doesn't bother me at all. It's not like Gundam seed Destiny where they recycled animation all the time. Kyoani succesfully brought back the unpredictibilty from the first season.

The way the directors play with the moods, the lighting and the music from episode to episode is amazing.

Also I didn't realise earlier how much these episodes resemble Urusei Yastura - Beautiful dreamer. I'm sure the "I love you" suggestion from Koizumi is a direct reference to Ataru Moroboshi's inability to say that to Lum and the way that movies time loop is resolved.

Anything Mamoru Oshii touches tends to draw controversy, not everyone likes the slow, symbolic, amospheric dialogue heavy style he uses. If Endless eight is heavily based on his work on Urusei Yastura then that would explain a few things.
Old 2009-07-10, 10:23   Link #552
chrono92

eight episode of endless summer holiday i think? the title says 'endless eight' btw.
Old 2009-07-10, 10:24   Link #553
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
wow... 27 pages in between creation and now? (<24hrs)

Problem is the maxim: good advert or bad advert .... its all GOOD advert because people are buzzing and eyeballs are on it. People actually drifting away would be bad from the marketing perspective.
That's a fallacy of modern marketing that has backfired countless times!

Quote:
Okay, obviously everyone has their line in the sand. Some people were wtf?ing after 2 eps, some after 3, 4... now my brain is wondering what the merit of this is at this point. Now I know how a teacher feels when watching 30 presentations on the same topic.
I completely agree!

Quote:
That should be taken as granted along with the built-up for further episodes. Episodes in series do not exist in isolation, that is one of the invariants, in contradiction to movies (excluding sequels). And also filling 20 minutes with moe is not entertaining, rather boring and unfortunately the main objective of the studio in question for the past 3-4 years.

Quote:
Why a 6? Because the quality of the animation and art for this series has been seriously deteriorating from the start of the new episodes -- they seem to be progressively shorting the budget. I don't believe its an "art style" interpretation but simply a *cheaper* sketchiness. I think I can count less than 3 "standard Kyoani glamour" moments in each iteration of Endless Eight -- usually Haruhi dripping water, a closeup still of Yuki, and sometimes one random (e.g. Itsuki).
Finally, someone else pointed it out!
Old 2009-07-10, 10:32   Link #554
prnoct90

My feelings are still that we will get 8 endless eight episodes, 4 sigh episodes and 1 special episode. which would have us end up with an episode list like this.

Spoiler for Episode List:

So if I'm right, Sign won't start until mid-August. I still think that we are going to get a true second season in the fall/winter though. They might need a break, but October 15th would be a perfect day for a new fall season.
Old 2009-07-10, 10:35   Link #555
hongee
@ ihongee.co.cc

Just hope they get this endless thing over and done with... I'll take anything else that comes...
Old 2009-07-10, 10:37   Link #556
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Happy 100 Painful votes!
Old 2009-07-10, 10:51   Link #557
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Happy 100 Painful votes!
Makes me wonder if it's a forum record there.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:01   Link #558
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well if nothing its amply succeeded at creating a polarizing effect thats for certain...

I had to vote 10 this time just because I really couldn't stop laughing after they went and repeated this yet again...3 times was obnoxious admittedly, but to take it to this level...Yea I just can't help but to laugh.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-07-10, 11:26   Link #559
Sammich
Crazy Quoting Machine

I'm slightly annoyed at myself that I'm actually enjoying this... It's quirky and I just have a 'thing' for that. It's clear they're not doing it for the art of it or any other reason one could consider noble but I can't help it, I like these episodes...
Old 2009-07-10, 11:27   Link #560
Bri

Quote:
I think this effect is largely exaggerated by the poor visual quality of the subs. The Mazui seem to use particulary bad source material. If you compare the animation quality of Haruhi S2 from a a good source (like the Yuki or AFK versions) and compare it to the TV broadcast versions of Clannad AS or Haruhi S1 then you wont see a drop in quality. I've checked episodes scene by scene and it's not better or worse. They do have reduced the intensity of daytime digital lighting effects but any scene that is out of direct sunlight uses the classic lush Kyoani effects.

The art does vary a little. Especially the swimming pool scenes in two episodes have been rather poor in terms of anatomy. No idea why, maybe some new key animators are still in training, not sure.
Closed Thread