AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-11-26, 17:16   Link #301
Awrya
U mad?

Just started and caught up to the latest chapters, definitely didn't see Canute transformation, I kept thinking he might be a real woman until proven otherwise

Anyway Ch.88, smart, charismatic land owner turns mad man. All he needs to do now is eat a berserk mushroom before battle and he's ready to punch his way through.
After the beating, I'm (almost) certain she'll have a miscarriage.
Old 2012-11-26, 17:30   Link #302
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Just started and caught up to the latest chapters, definitely didn't see Canute transformation, I kept thinking he might be a real woman until proven otherwise
huh? You didn't know who Canute was what kind of history do they teach kids these days.
Old 2012-11-26, 17:40   Link #303
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
huh? You didn't know who Canute was what kind of history do they teach kids these days.
Been a few years since I had any history lessons, though it was one of my weakest subjects and we never focused on Denmark
Old 2012-11-27, 10:38   Link #304
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was never taught jack about Denmark either. Nor Sweden for that matter.
Old 2012-11-27, 12:49   Link #305
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was never taught jack about Denmark either. Nor Sweden for that matter.
that is because you are French and French are snooty

PS. nothing on Adolf Gustavus either? The Lion of the North. The Father of Modern Warfare?

Quote:
Been a few years since I had any history lessons, though it was one of my weakest subjects and we never focused on Denmark
He was also the King of England.
Old 2012-11-27, 15:14   Link #306
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:

PS. nothing on Adolf Gustavus either? The Lion of the North. The Father of Modern Warfare?

He was also the King of England.
Are you Swedish or Danish? If so, isn't it natural that your history lessons focused more on your country?

Anyway, it's not like there are international standards on history lessons (I hope)
Old 2012-11-27, 15:35   Link #307
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Are you Swedish or Danish? If so, isn't it natural that your history lessons focused more on your country?

Anyway, it's not like there are international standards on history lessons (I hope)
I am Chinese

Born in China, grew up in the US.

Considering Aldoph Gustavs effect on the 30 Year, Formation of the German State and as "Father of Modern Warfare". i would hope his name would at rate a passing mention in European History.

As for Canute, he conqueror all the Scandinavian countries and England. His Empire was the biggest in Europe since the Fall of Rome. His conversion to Christianity was one of the major turning in the spreading of Christianity in Northern Europe.

I had hope European history in Europe would be better then the US. Which usually consist of the Greek, Romans and then skip to the renaissance. The 1000 years after the Fall of Rome and the beginning of the Renaissance might as well not exist in the US ver of European History.
Old 2012-11-27, 17:26   Link #308
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

Nope, never head of him. History class were quite egocentric now that I think about it, focusing only on France, countries France had an influence on or the other way around. Countries that had minimal interaction with France were never studied. What really irked me back then is that we often studied the same thing from one school year to the other. That time would have been better spent learning about other countries or time periods. History was one of my favorite subject too, so it really annoyed me to see it narrowed down to such an extent.
Old 2012-11-27, 17:56   Link #309
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

Quote:
I had hope European history in Europe would be better then the US. Which usually consist of the Greek, Romans and then skip to the renaissance. The 1000 years after the Fall of Rome and the beginning of the Renaissance might as well not exist in the US ver of European History.
My parents once had an old set of encyclopedias, maybe from the 1930's or earlier, which actually did that. The timeline of world history completely skipped the "Dark Ages" as if Charlemagne and William the Conqueror never existed. I would hate to guess what it did with Chinese or Japanese history. Probably no mention until William Perry or the Boxer Rebellion unless the first Chinese Emperor Qin got a notation.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 05:25   Link #310
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
As for Canute, he conqueror all the Scandinavian countries and England. His Empire was the biggest in Europe since the Fall of Rome. His conversion to Christianity was one of the major turning in the spreading of Christianity in Northern Europe.
Justinian and Charlemagne say hi.
Old 2012-12-15, 09:39   Link #311
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ah yes Charlemagne. The King who shed blood of a thousand Saxon men.

Old 2012-12-21, 17:54   Link #312
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Caught up to the current chapters, Gonna be great when Thorfinn meets Leif.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:03   Link #313
Blaat

A bit late but:
Quote:
The way history is taught in Europe is very egocentric (focused on the home country and that's it) ignoring the rest of the world, except for the USA and classical states (Egypt, Greek city states and Rome. No Indian or Chinese stuff). So the only way you have heard of Gustavus or Canute is if you were Scandinavian or English (in Canute's case).
Old 2012-12-22, 09:04   Link #314
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
A bit late but: The way history is taught in Europe is very egocentric (focused on the home country and that's it) ignoring the rest of the world, except for the USA and classical states (Egypt, Greek city states and Rome. No Indian or Chinese stuff). So the only way you have heard of Gustavus or Canute is if you were Scandinavian or English (in Canute's case).
Well, I live in Sweden, Gustav is a very famous figure here, especially the one warring against Germany in "Thirty Years War". Canute isn't heard here though. He should be more famous in Denmark.

As for Charlemagne, I'm pretty sure none of my classmates here (in Sweden) knows who he is. The French should know.

History class here ignore Far East's history completely. They believe that the Nazi German and Red Army were the worst, they never knew the atrocity committed by Imperial Japanese though.

Worst, despite the enormously popularity of Norse mythology, people here don't even know what Ragnarok is. They (teenagers) don't even know that the creatures in fantasy fiction like elves, dwarves, trolls originated from Norse myth. They at least know who Thor is though.

And Vinland is Greenland according to the map here btw.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 09:14   Link #315
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Well, I live in Sweden, Gustav is a very famous figure here, especially the one warring against Germany in "Thirty Years War". Canute isn't heard here though. He should be more famous in Denmark.

As for Charlemagne, I'm pretty sure none of my classmates here (in Sweden) knows who he is. The French should know.

History class here ignore Far East's history completely. They believe that the Nazi German and Red Army were the worst, they never knew the atrocity committed by Imperial Japanese though.

Worst, despite the enormously popularity of Norse mythology, people here don't even know what Ragnarok is. They (teenagers) don't even know that the creatures in fantasy fiction like elves, dwarves, trolls originated from Norse myth. They at least know who Thor is though.

And Vinland is Greenland according to the map here btw.
I' argue that most pople doent know how bad Stalin was. In most mind Hitker>Stalin though in reality ther were abut equal.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 09:18   Link #316
Blaat

Charlemagne is pretty big in former HRE states (low countries, France, Germany) in fact depending on whom you ask Charlemange is either German, French, Dutch or Belgian. The joys of assigning a person a nationality before it existed.

Anyway thanks for correcting on me regarding Cnut the Great not being well known in Sweden. Which is interesting because part of his Kingdom encompassed Sweden (south Sweden, Malmo region, which was in Danish hands for a long time)
Old 2012-12-22, 09:37   Link #317
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Charlemagne is pretty big in former HRE states (low countries, France, Germany) in fact depending on whom you ask Charlemange is either German, French, Dutch or Belgian. The joys of assigning a person a nationality before it existed.

Anyway thanks for correcting on me regarding Cnut the Great not being well known in Sweden. Which is interesting because part of his Kingdom encompassed Sweden (south Sweden, Malmo region, which was in Danish hands for a long time)
You see, Sweden is a bit different from Norway and Denmark. Both Norway and Denmark remained in Kalmar Union after Sweden decided to split (and fought against Denmark) thus they started using a different letter system then Norway and Denmark (there are three alphabets that sound the same and have the same use, but look different). And Swedish weren't in very good relationship with Denmark either since Sweden used to be minor state to Denmark during their time in Kalmar Union. Norway used to belong to Sweden until the beginning of 1900s so they weren't too fond of the Swedes either. That's probably why we hardly heard of Canute, the King of Danish and Britain here...

In Vinland Saga, Danish and Norwegian vikings are mentioned a lot, but no Swedish. The reason is that Swedish vikings were invading Slavic nations like the Baltic States and Russia during that time (and they're hated there, not anymore though). What I mean to say is that, while they're all vikings, they're not the same. I also found Danish and Norwegian to be much closer than Swedish.
Old 2012-12-27, 02:22   Link #318
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Quote:
Caught up to the current chapters, Gonna be great when Thorfinn meets Leif.
89 is out. Their reunion was less dramatic than I thought it would be, but given the circumstances..

However, I believe this chapter officially ends Farmland Saga. Next chapter is war.
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 02:56   Link #319
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I wonder how the arcs gonna end, Obviously Canute's army is gonna beat em all. But will Thorfinn join him or something.
Old 2012-12-27, 06:30   Link #320
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

ch 89

Man, I can't believe the Saxons playing victim role. lol

Celts, Saxons and vikings were all bloody. It's just that when they face foes bloodier than they were, powerful than they were, in their pitiful state, they acted like victims of barbaric race.

I think that beating up a pregnant woman is bad, but she should be glad Snake didn't kill her because she caused his underlings to die. Also, I have no sympathy to Einar. I don't think any side is wrong. It's just that trying to justify themselves for the bad deeds they did is kind of disgusting.

Tags
historical