AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-05, 21:19   Link #821
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
DYRL Minmei wasn't that bad... I actually liked her.
I like the DRYL Minmei too. However, the series version is VVVAAAASSSSTTTTLLLYYYY different.

Even at 5 years old, watching Robotech on TV, my friend and I knew we hated Minmei and liked Lisa.
Old 2008-07-05, 21:25   Link #822
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Just as Hikaru was different in the DYRL version.

Ever notice how he never, ever, never gave Misa a definite answer in the TV series, but he did in DYRL?

"I chose to stay by your side when we were alone on Earth"

Damn I love that line. That and Misa was no pushover. She pretty much forced Hikaru into choosing. She was like look, go after her, or stay with me. I really have not seen many anime female characters pulling this often. They should make more like it, though.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-05, 21:29   Link #823
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Just as Hikaru was different in the DYRL version.

Ever notice how he never, ever, never gave Misa a definite answer in the TV series, but he did in DYRL?

"I chose to stay by your side when we were alone on Earth"

Damn I love that line. That and Misa was no pushover. She pretty much forced Hikaru into choosing. She was like look, go after her, or stay with me. I really have not seen many anime female characters pulling this often. They should make more like it, though.

- Tak
You're right. This is why I like DYRL better than the tv series for my own personal enjoyment. I also see a lot of Misa, in the way Sheryl does everything.

And why in the speculation thread, I could see Alto slapping Ranka, like Hikaru slapped Minmei during the end battle for a similiar reason.
Old 2008-07-05, 21:37   Link #824
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
And why in the speculation thread, I could see Alto slapping Ranka, like Hikaru slapped Minmei during the end battle for a similiar reason.
I don't know... doesn't look like Ranka could take it.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-05, 22:19   Link #825
justinstrife

Quote:

- Tak
Then she'll still be in the same position in terms of character strength, as she was in episode 1. That would be beyond pathetic.
Old 2008-07-06, 06:35   Link #826
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampstorm
The main thing for me with any relationship is how the writers lead into it, and how they draw out the feelings of the characters in question. That is, "show, don't tell," and all that.

On a side note, that's actually the biggest thing that's been missing for me in the relationship between Alto and Ranka. I was disappointed when what I had hoped would be an episode of character exposition between the two turned into another case of 'saving the girl'. But at least we finally got some new relationship insights, in terms of how Ranka likes the fact that Alto is pretty and that he helps her... oh, wait.
That's my beef with Alto x Ranka. I think their development is meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
You really really didn't notice Alto's feelings for Ranka even before these couple episodes? ^^
No, I didn't. Otherwise, I would've agreed with your interpretations on Alto x Ranka in the rest of your post.

I understand where you're coming from, as I'm not blind to developments of potential pairings. But while I did enjoy reading your post, it just reaffirms my frustration on Alto x Ranka, as the crux of your posts is heavily dependent on your own opinions drawn from the little developments on Alto x Ranka. If the basic grounds for Alto x Ranka are this shaky to the point where both of us can't even see eye to eye with it, then how could you expect me to agree with the rest of your post?

Like this:

Quote:
They never fastforwarded AltoxRanka's relationship, the feelings were already there. They were just dormant and this crisis triggered it.
By crisis, you mean the moe stars? Alto was sneaking glances at Ranka like a lovestruck schoolboy after all. And we are talking about the same man who once did a >___>;;; when Ranka transferred to his class, right?

Quote:
The difference here is, the love triangle was told through Ranka's POV. That's what convinced me that AltoxRanka is going to happen. She was shown to be the underdog because the story deliberately makes it look that way. It's on her side, matching her sad expressions with BGMs, making the people around her to support her in her love, making Sheryl look like an obstacle to her in career and love again lol This is what made audience get a peek inside Ranka's head. I don't see the story doing the exact same thing to Sheryl in future episodes though I wouldn't put it past them to finally let the audience get inside her head and know more about her once her character gets fleshed out.

Like I said, just because Sheryl was left in the dust and is now in Ranka's shoes, the story did not make Sheryl look like an underdog. She may be the underdog, but she wasn't portrayed as such. (Did I confuse someone with that? -_- )The cameras are still on Ranka I really think she has to compete with Ranka for screentime somewhere in the future if I were to be convinced that Ranka is the real 'third wheel' here.
I'd like to remind you that Macross Frontier has just concluded its first half out of twenty six episodes, and with it, it has addressed Ranka's underdog position by giving her what she has longed for. Before addressing that point, I'd also like to tie Anh_Minh's post into this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Doesn't mean much one way or another. He screamed just as much for Luka.
Alto could've screamed until his tonsils explode, and I still would've agreed with you. The only problem with that interpretation is what came after that scene. Sheryl's look changed everything. The moment she picked up Alto's cry is when we knew Ranka got what she wanted. It was the end of Ranka's underdog role. I love the hell out of that scene, because in three seconds, the love triangle just upped itself one level. Now that the second half of the story is kicking into gear, it's really too early to say if the story will focus from Sheryl's perspective from now on, but if that's the case, then not only will they give Sheryl the balance it needs, but, because while I play fair in shipping wars, I'm also quite evil enough to say that it just adds one more on top of your pile of failed Sheryl predictions along the way.

On the subject of Sheryl, I would advise both of us not to jump hastily to conclusions until the second half draws near to its end. The reason why I'm willing to leave Sheryl out of it is that there's simply too little on Sheryl, in contrast to Alto x Ranka.

Remember the reason why Ranka was falling so far behind in the first place. When Alto responds to her, it's the time when Ranka nicely steps out of the underdog position. When Alto responded to her in that kind of level in Episode 12/13, she was basically hurled out of her underdog position and hovering very, very closely to the finish line. While I'm flabbergasted by its lightning speed, it also means their story has apparently reached a point where you could finally be allowed to look at the overall picture.

And I'm frustrated by what I'm seeing.

For this kind of development, I've seen it happen on "red herring pairings"... but never on canon pairings. In other anime series, yes. But not in the Macross universe. In Macross, Misa closed the love triangle at the final episode. In Macross, Shin x Sara happened in episode four... out of five episodes. But again, like I said, we'll see. If Alto x Ranka is meant to be, they need a lot of work. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
I'm surely gonna watch out for more SherylxMichael next episode. ^_^
Hmmmmmm, I doubt it'll happen, but I've already warmed up to the idea so much! Michel x Sheryl is settling quite comfortably as my MF fanon pairing. M x S would be short-term, they'd be all about lust and one-night stands, once it's over, hey, let's be adults and move onto something else. This pairing is so superficial, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's an empty pairing but I wouldn't mind reading smex fic on them.

Michael x Sheryl is also a wonderful example of why people pair up yaoi pairings out of straight people. It can't happen, but that doesn't mean we don't enjoy it.

I really do mean the yaoi pairing comment. I'm a yaoi fangirl after all.

Last edited by cheesie; 2008-07-06 at 11:02. Reason: Forgot Anh_Minh's comment to me. ^^;;;;
Old 2008-07-06, 06:54   Link #827
Westlo
Lets be reality

You know I actually wouldn't mind seeing Michael and Sheryl have a one night stand to get over their frustrations with Klan and Alto respectively. It would just make it feel more realistic to me which is why I really liked the Plus triangle since Myung slept with Guld and Isamu banged Lucy. Than again considering the stink caused by Mitsuki in KGNE the amount of bitching about it would just make me /facepalm.

Because according to general anime fandom you can only have one partner for life and if a women sleeps with more than one guy she's a slut. Really wish people who thought like this would take a look at real life instead of living in a make believe world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
'm also quite evil enough to say that it just adds one more on top of your pile of failed Sheryl predictions along the way.
Her no Sheryl focused episodes in the second half prediction is looking good isn't it considering the main antagonist of the series has a direct connection to Sheryl

Quote:
For this kind of development, I've seen it happen on "red herring pairings"... but never on canon pairings. In other anime series, yes. But not in the Macross universe. In Macross, Misa closed the love triangle at the final episode. In Macross, Shin x Sara happened in episode four... out of five episodes. If Alto x Ranka is meant to be, they need a lot of work. That's all I'm saying.
Also Isamu and Myung was settled in OVA 4 out of 4. And most of those other series where they settle on the canon pairing early.. well it was never a contest in the first place.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:17   Link #828
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
Alto never called her first or actively sought for her. It's always Ranka who calls him and asks for his advice. Hell, he didn't even look the least interested when Ranka got scouted and to think she wanted to tell him first
Alto SMS'ed Ranka in EP04 08:41.
Alto sought for Ranka in EP10 12:18 "Luca' Have you to seen Ranka?"
Old 2008-07-06, 07:21   Link #829
Westlo
Lets be reality

Wasn't that in response to if he was going to Miss Macross though? Going off memory here...
Old 2008-07-06, 07:24   Link #830
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Also Isamu and Myung was settled in OVA 4 out of 4. And most of those other series where they settle on the canon pairing early.. well it was never a contest in the first place.
Well I'm not really saying that a pairing can only happen if it comes out last. Kawamori may break out of his formula and think up new ways of writing his love triangle, Alto x Ranka may be his new thing and all, but if there's one thing that links all the canon pairings in the Macross franchise, it is the consistency of their development. And that is the crucial thing that Alto x Ranka needs right now, because no matter how I look at it, when I compare them to other Macross pairings, I'm having a hell of a time trying not to stick the "red herring" label on them. Seriously.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:33   Link #831
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post

Actually, it made the audience get tired of sympathizing (I tempted to use the word 'pity' ) the damsel in distress. That card is old.

(SNIP).
In typical Macross 7 style, Ranka rescued Alto and group in EP12.

Quote:
Wasn't that in response to if he was going to Miss Macross though? Going off memory here...
Alto lending voluntary support for Ranka by being present at Miss Macross event.

Alto's memory flash back (EP13) with Ranka is important in this regard.

I have MF/MZ/M7 EPs loaded on my 320GB HD equipped laptop (my extended memory device).

Last edited by encia; 2008-07-06 at 08:13.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:54   Link #832
encia

Quote:

- Tak
In Ep03 05:42 Alto was about to rebuke Ranka but he stop himself i.e. Alto can see Ranka’s fragile mental state. Alto regrets that his can't protect or do something against the threats.

Quote:
Thats... disgusting.

Its like Ranka x Alto disgusting. . .

Ugh~

- Tak
?? They are all in the same age braket.

Ranka’s youthful look could be from Zentradi DNA i.e. refer to Millia’s “hot” appearance even at middleage (40 to 55).

Last edited by encia; 2008-07-06 at 08:12.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:57   Link #833
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Encia : I don't think the forum allows you to double-post, so a mod may come in and merge your posts. On the bottom of each post, there is an edit button which allows you to add more.
Old 2008-07-06, 08:09   Link #834
Westlo
Lets be reality

Millia aint about DNA, it's a state of mind baby
Old 2008-07-06, 09:20   Link #835
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
In Ep03 05:42 Alto was about to rebuke Ranka but he stop himself i.e. Alto can see Ranka’s fragile mental state.
You know, I already said Alto could not bring himself to do just such a thing. I cannot imagine the consequences.

Quote:
?? They are all in the same age braket.
Except at this point, as Mikhail have pointed out to Quran once, it'd look like statutory.

Quote:
Ranka’s youthful look could be from Zentradi DNA i.e. refer to Millia’s “hot” appearance even at middleage (40 to 55).
Then there is Max

- Tak
Old 2008-07-06, 13:39   Link #836
justinstrife

Quote:
You know I actually wouldn't mind seeing Michael and Sheryl have a one night stand to get over their frustrations with Klan and Alto respectively. It would just make it feel more realistic to me which is why I really liked the Plus triangle since Myung slept with Guld and Isamu banged Lucy. Than again considering the stink caused by Mitsuki in KGNE the amount of bitching about it would just make me /facepalm.

Because according to general anime fandom you can only have one partner for life and if a women sleeps with more than one guy she's a slut. Really wish people who thought like this would take a look at real life instead of living in a make believe world.
Ehhh.. I'd rather Sheryl not have a one night stand with Michael thank you very much. That would just cheapen her character, as she's stronger than that.

And for the record, I was rooting for Isamu x Lucy, even though I knew they never had a chance of making it.
Old 2008-07-06, 15:34   Link #837
Tak

Quote:

And for the record, I was rooting for Isamu x Lucy, even though I knew they never had a chance of making it.
Yeah, when Lucy approached Isamu later and I saw her expression, that just caused my heart to ache.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-06, 15:36   Link #838
justinstrife

Quote:
Yeah, when Lucy approached Isamu later and I saw her expression, that just caused my heart to ache.

- Tak
I first liked her as a character, during their motorcycle ride. She looked like a lot of fun.

I knew though, from the very first OVA episode, who was going to end up with who. Curse my almost perfect hunches. This is one of those shows I wished I was wrong.
Old 2008-07-06, 16:50   Link #839
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Ehhh.. I'd rather Sheryl not have a one night stand with Michael thank you very much. That would just cheapen her character, as she's stronger than that.
Or anything with Michael at all I suppose? His character's first impression left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth... Even though he went a notch in Ep5 and again in Ep9 (go Klan Klan!), I still don't like the prospect of Michael x Sheryl.

At times like these, I'm glad you and I justinstrife are on the same side for once. I remember trying to come up with something to say while you aggressively defended Asa from Kaede fans (myself) and everyone else.

Quote:
Same here!

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-07-06, 16:57   Link #840
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Or anything with Michael at all I suppose? His character's first impression left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth... Even though he went a notch in Ep5 and again in Ep9 (go Klan Klan!), I still don't like the prospect of Michael x Sheryl.

At times like these, I'm glad you and I justinstrife are on the same side for once. I remember trying to come up with something to say while you aggressively defended Asa from Kaede fans (myself) and everyone else.

Same here!
You're correct. Michael wasn't bad in episode 5, but generally I'm not a big fan of him. I didn't vote for him or Ranka in the character poll(Sheryl, Klan Klan, and Bobby since Captain Jeffrey wasn't an option were my picks). Glad we also agree on Macross Plus's romantic possibilities, even though they never panned out.

I forgot you were a Kaede fan. My condolences on your loss. -hides- Though in all seriousness, that anime wasn't THAT great. There were too many WTF's with all the characters. I still wear my VP tag though for Asa's fanclub, as she was my favorite there. Second was tied between her mom and the sensei.

Tags
romance