Tales of the Abyss (dropped)
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 18:39   Link #22
matteas
Member Member

Title : Clannad After Story
Rating : A
Episodes Viewed : 5
Already covered a great storyline. Emotive, sad, but also a lot of fun. Going in the path of the first season.

Title : ef - a tale of melodies
Rating : B
Episodes Viewed : 3
It looks like some important fact may be revealed at any time, but it still hasn't happened. Anyhow, it is very pleasant to watch.

Title : Kannagi
Rating : B
This is getting better every episode. Lots of fun and some characters are unusual in a certain way. But I hope that the plot won't stop progressing, because it will suck, if it stuck at the actual point.

Title : To Aru Majutsu No Index
Rating : B-
The first 3 episodes were great and it seemed very promising, but episode 4 was full of gibberish and episode 5 too. However, from the way the last episode ended, some good plot might begin to move.

Title : Toradora
Episodes Viewed : 3
Well, what should I say. Good points: Kugimiya Rie, fun Bad points: somehow it seems stereotypical to me

Title : Chaos;Head
Episodes Viewed : 4
At first, I didn't like it, but this one is also getting better by every episode. Something strange is going one. I like the main character's funny delusions. I just hope that they won't screw up this series.

Title : Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
Rating : C
After the first episode I said: "Wow, this is great. This is right what I wanted and expected." But that was all. Now, it is a regular harem comedy, not bad, nor great.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 09:44   Link #23
Vashar

Note: most of my ratings are based after watching only about 4 episodes each, which is better than a first impression, but barely solid enough to gauge how the series will turn out. I also noted any bias I have for any series which may have affected the rating a bit.

Nodame Cantabile Paris-hen
A+
Ep1-4
I watched the original and loved it. The first episode of this seemed to give me the impression that the show was going down the gutter with the anime cliches, but the second episode returned hope to me by being extremely good. The way they designed the 2 main characters is praiseworthy since you can't help but respect those characters for what they do. Later episodes made me empathize with the characters, so bonus points there for getting me to display emotion while watching.

Clannad ~After Story~
A
Ep1-6
The more I watch this, the more I like it. The story pace is very slow, but I can't complain since it's entertaining - it's funny and some episodes are good enough to touch my emotions. The slow pace also allows me to come to my own deductions about the strange mysteries and try and figure where the story is going.

Toradora!
B
Ep1-5
I surprisingly fell in love with this. It feels like a combination of Lovely Complex, School Rumble, and Zero no Tsukime (spelling?). I didn't like ZnT, but I loved School Rumble and thought Lovely Complex was okay and this fits in between all of it. It's funny and the "tsundere" nature of the female lead feels natural and even has a charm to it, despite me having a general disliking of them.

Gundam 00 S2
B-
Ep1-5
I love Gundam, but I can't say much about whether or not I particularly like this series judging from the first two episodes. The action and storytelling are entertaining and the visuals are appealing, but it doesn't feel impressive or amazing. I'm biased, so this is up high on the list since I can't miss Gundam. It's relatively slow so far, but it's shaping up into another big conflict with a good amount of politics, skilled soldiers defecting, and newer and more powerful mobile suits (not to mention, a masked soldier causing havoc). There's a little tactical/strategic brilliance already and I hope for lots more.

Kurozuka
B-
Ep1-3
The colors vibrance effects they used really hooked me (the saturation of greens, reds, and blues). The animation is a bit odd, giving it a stick figure kung-fu like feel, but I like the character designs a lot and the plot seems very interesting. Their take on immortality seems to be much more interesting than what I've seen in other animes. This has sort of a Ninja Scroll feel, so I guess I'm a bit biased as Ninja Scroll was one of the first animes I saw and collected.

Skip Beat
C+
Ep1-2
I have a soft spot for dramas such as this. Feels like Hajime no Ippo and Full Moon Sagashite (both extremely high rated animes) combined in one with a little bit of comedy.

ef ~ a tale of melodies
C+
Ep1-3
I can't tell what this is about, but the characters are extremely well done. Just watching them develop has been interesting enough. If there's an actual storyline, then that's a bonus.

To Aru Majutsu no Index
C
Ep1-5
Cheesy, yet surprisingly entertaining. I guess the high quality visuals/audio hooked me.

Tytania
C
Ep1-4
I'm a fan of space operas after watching many Gundam series, VOTOMS: Palisen Files, some of the Crest/Banner of the Stars series, Legend of Galactic Heroes, and Macross F. I love the perspective it gives on space war. It follows a strong and successful Warrior clan that brings glory to it's parent empire and is known and feared throughout the universe and in the first episode, it shows the possible turning point where this clan begins to fall from glory.

Kannagi
C-
Ep1-5
The popularity of this piqued my interest, so I ventured to watch despite my interests being in adventure, military, and sci-fi. I found the plot very interesting and the characters are fairly well done. The school scenes are as corny as other anime and is actually interesting. There's not a lot of "beautification" or "dolling up" done to all the characters which is something I give them credit for since it turns out well (or it could be that I've grown a distaste for that type of style). I'm finally up to the part where "evil" steps in and I'm setting myself up for just a casual ride.

Chaos;Head
C-
Ep1-4
I have mixed impressions about this, but watching it again to try and catch clues after reading about the plot on anidb, I'm starting to understand this more. I'm impressed by some of the detail in this, but a few things don't quite click like how does he live in a storage container on top of a plain looking high rise brick and mortar building? Electricity and toilet? Storage space for clothes and other items?

Casshern SINS
D+
Ep1-5
This started off slow and is slow overall, but is picking up slightly in pace and has an unique (to me) apocalyptic setting and an interesting plot about how robots which previously didn't fear death due to getting new bodies now became more human like since they now know they will eventually die.

Kuroshitsuji
D+
Ep1
A somewhat twisted show that may prove to be interesting. If it were a game of chess that the boy plays rather than that simply board game... I would get the impression that it would be an intellectual thriller like Code Geass and Death Note

FAIL LIST:

Akane iro no Somaru Saka
D-
Ep1-3
Gets worse with every episode.

Tales of the Abyss
D-
Ep1-4
Interesting at first when experiencing the world this takes place in, but the world soon runs out of detail and you're left with the character personalities to entertain you. None are truly entertaining and they don't mesh well together. It's beginning to dull and become annoying after a few episodes.

Ga-rei-zero
D-
Ep1-3
I didn't like this for some reason. The bigwigs meetings and how they argue isn't very professional like in real life. The rivalry between different fighting units doesn't really exist. The action is cheesy, like how the girl flips about on the motorcycle to attack, and the categorization of monster levels is so cliche. Having the ultimate monster categorization in the image of a pretty girl in a school uniform with a samurai sword is a bit ridiculous when the next lvl down is a ferocious beast and the lvl under that are relentless zombies that are tough and strong. The gauging of how much force it takes to down the monsters reminds me of the internet meme, "it's over 9000!"

Shikabane Hime Aka
D-
Ep1
This feels like a weak rip-off of TYPE-MOON series like, Shingetsutan Tsukihime. How the priest treats the boy he raised is funny, but the combat/action is kind of lame.

Last edited by Vashar; 2008-11-08 at 10:16. Reason: Minor edits
Vashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 11:51   Link #24
Kino karutta-chan
Watashi no taisetsuna??

Send a message via ICQ to Kino karutta-chan
@ Ga-Rei -Zero-

I don't get this anime
Spoiler:
I don't like something like this. Okay, I like confusion, but confusion with explanations. And the new ep was so like girly girl anime ô.o

@ Jigoku Shojo Mitsuganae
I like it. Of course I do. I watched season 1 and 2 and now season 3.
Spoiler:
Kino karutta-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 17:58   Link #25
Tiran86

Now that I've seen up to episode 3 of Mitchiko and Hatchin, I'd have to give it a B+

The writing is good, I can't think of many anime similiar to this, I like the main pair, and Jumbo seems like she'll be a fun antagonist when she shows up, although I hope thats not the main storyline.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 10:52   Link #26
FNSNA
Osaka is mai waifu

From highest scored to lowest score (as of today)

Title: Toradora!
Rating: A
Episodes Viewed: 6
Hands Down. Even though I'm not a fan of tsundere characters, I have found this anime to be fully enjoyable. This anime catches my attention very early with the fast paced plot. The character themselves are also not just the usual stereotypical ones. Even the tsundere female lead have a good character background that supports her personality.

Title: Nodame Cantabile: Paris
Rating: A-
Episodes Viewed: 5
Still as good as the first season, and the relationship between the two lead continues to deepens. Good stuff. Yet, I'm still complaining their bad CG.

Title: Clannad After Story
Rating: B
Still has the same kind of goodness as first season, but the arc-type of plot is even more of a problem this season so far (because less episodes covered per arc). Maybe I'm just waiting for the main plot to come.

Title: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season
Rating: B
Even after finishing the first season, I did not like it, as most of the character were too shallow. Now in to the second season, I have been granted for what I wanted for the whole first season, as more background and development is given to the characters. Promising.

Title: Chaos;HEAd
Rating: C+
Episodes Viewed: 4
Hated the first episode, but the mysteriousness is keeping me attached to this anime.

Title: Toaru Majutsu no Index
Rating: C
Started off good, but then became too stereotypical.

On-hold: Kannagi - stop after episode 1 because it was too boring, and didn't want to watch too many this season, but hoping to pick it back up later.

Non-TV series
Title: Goku Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei
Rating: A
Type: OAV
Episodes Viewed: 1
Same style as the previous seasons, but just more graphic. If you are a fan of the previous seasons, this OAV is obviously a must.
FNSNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 01:42   Link #27
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

From what I hear, see (on 1st ep) and know...
[If I didn't even bother to see it, that usually means I have no interest whatsoever.]
This list is for people with tight schedules like me and can afford to watch max. 5 series at a go.

I use this list: http://fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_FALL_2008

Penguin Musume Heart 2nd Club
WTF is this? Some new Pretty Cure thingy. PINK Shoujo. NO WAY.
Pickup rate: 0

Battle Spirits Shounen Toppa Bashin
This is based on a card game? I don't watch Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon or the like. No thanks, really.
Pickup Rate: 0
FYI, there's no sub group on this.

Mach Girl
Another PINK shoujo anime.

Candy Boy Episode 03
An ONA. 8 minutes - not worth rating.

Hakushaku to Yousei
Almost the same premise as Spice and Wolf.
From wiki:
Quote:
Set in Victorian England, it follows the adventures of 17-year old Lydia Carlton, who is nicknamed the "Fairy Doctor" due to her interest in fairies. Her life takes a 180-degrees turn when she meets Edgar J.C Ashenbert, the "Legendary Blue Knight Count" and his crew on a sea voyage to London. Edgar hires her as an adviser during his quest to obtain a treasured sword that was supposed to be handed down to him by his family.

Toradora!
It's on the Singapore free-to-air. And I'm in Singapore right now. Need I say more?
Pickup Rate: 70%

Noramimi2
Too kiddish. No thanks.

Casshern Sins
I regretted watching Evangelion 1.0 - the Movie. You can guess.

Rosario to Vampire CAPU2
YET another PINK shoujo anime.

Hyakko
Possibility. Good premise. Will probably watch at a go - as is practice for slice-of-life animes.
Pickup Rate: 50%

Hyper Visual Doll Movie
No. The website is enough.

Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka
ONE VN adaption only per season, 'tis my rule. And there's a Kyoani-KEY partnership further down.

Kuro Shitsuji
ANOTHER English Nobility thingy. NO.

Hokuto no Ken Raou Gaiden Ten no Hadou
NO THANKS. No "from 10-20 years ago, remakes!"

Yozakura Shijuusou ~Yozakura Quartet~
Protecting a town... blah blah. Wait, it's NOMAD> Rozen Maiden's studio.
Pickup Rate: 70%

Initial D Extra Stage 2 Tabigacha Green
Initial D didn't appeal to me.

Tales of the Abyss
Sounds similar to Heroic Age, which I dropped after 1st ep.

Tentai Senshi Sunred
Good vs evil... bleh. Gag humor... Sunohara/Kyon can do better.

Netsusou! Kame 1 Grand Prix
Sounds dumb, no news, no sub, will not bother.

Shugo Chara!! Doki!
No news - no watch. For now.

Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae
Never heard of it. Not bothered.

Kannagi
Might be worth it... or not.
Pickup Rate: 50%

Zettai Yareru Grecia Shinwa
Greek. Need I say more??

To Aru Majutsu no Index
Looks blehish.

Kemeko Deluxe!, Inazuma Eleven, Live On CARDLIVER Kakeru
Already, I'm starting to yawn.

Gundam 00 2nd Season
I'm packed already. Those who want to, go on. But not me.

Everything after this isn't for me. Not even Nodame Cantabile, Kyou no Go no Ni... whatever. BUT

AND NOW OUR STAR OF THE SEASON.
(DUN DUN DUN!)

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~
OH YEAH! MORE TOMOYO! MORE STUPID SUNOHARA! A TRAP TOO!
Ok, I'm overreacting. But it's Kyoani-KEY. Can't go wrong here!
Pickup Rate: 100%
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 02:15   Link #28
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

And how many of those shows did you actually bother to watch? Because some of those comments are so far off that it's ridiculous.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 03:14   Link #29
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
And how many of those shows did you actually bother to watch? Because some of those comments are so far off that it's ridiculous.
As I said, my review is for the rushed. Not everyone here is hardcore, I believe. Sometimes, the preview/image/whatever can put of people who are not hardcore at all. Some people only watch a few, and I'm here to pick someof the REALLY must watch, rather than those that don't have much appeal.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 08:49   Link #30
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Yes and "the rushed" would rather read your post than any of the other posts in this thread because...? One would think that the people who watch say one series per month would be actually be more inclined to read opinions based on the series themselves than opinions based on the synopses. Especially considering they could have read the latter months ago. The thread you are looking for is http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=71061 .

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 08:51   Link #31
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Yes and "the rushed" would rather read your post than any of the other posts in this thread because...? One would think that the people who watch say one series per month would be actually be more inclined to read opinions based on the series themselves than opinions based on the synopses. Especially considering they could have read the latter months ago. The thread you are looking for is http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=71061 .
Well, that's a point... but I tend to be even stricter than that post...!
Old 2008-11-22, 19:46   Link #32
Falkor

Hakushaku to Yousei.

I should really watch this show, but maybe when it's finished...

Toradora.

I wished they did a better job adapting the novel/manga, but never mind that... the show is not bad, and as an anime, it's much better than the stuff you usually see in the comedy genre...

Grade: P

Rosario.

The only reason I was watching this show was because of the fan-service (i.e. panty shots). But if they are planning to censor the "goodies," then it defeats the purpose of watching, so nope... not continuing this...

Grade: NP

Casshern Sins.

no comments...
no comments...
no comments...

Hyakko.

somewhat enjoyable, not absurdly boring, nice characters and all are females... it's not that bad, plus it's Slice-Of-Life, which is a great plus.

Yozakura Quartet.

I'm stuck with the first episode--to be more exact, around the middle of it... so I'm not sure... maybe I'm going to wait for the widescreen ones...

Kuroshitsuji.

stuck here with the first episode as well, oh just kidding, this show is more than good because of the characters, or just because of Sebastian.

Clannad After Story.

Akane Iro ni Somaru.

ehh... please, no more of this... after three episodes I felt relieved that the grace period had finished, so I could drop this show and send it into oblivion. Everything about it was bad. There's nothing redeeming about the plot; animation is a lackluster effort; the characters--and their interaction--are a pain to the back of your eyes...

Tales of the Abyss.

so, any idea of what the plot is about?

the elements of the plot are so convoluted that sometimes I feel a bit uncertain with regards to the whole idea of this show, which is something I should expect from the adaptation of an RPG game... I like the characters; animation is really good; Yukana's voice is a great plus; and subs are fast. Nothing to really complain about, and there are more than enough reasons to keep watching.

Kurogane no Linebarrel.

heard this is bad, and that's enough to avoid this show in its entirety, for all intents and purposes... I'm no longer watching anything done by Gonzo unless there's a general consensus hinting the rare chance that it might turn out to be good--wait, when was the last time it happened?

???

To Aru Majutsu no Index.

I'm a bit skeptic about this show, more or so because the adaptation is actually a "close rendition" to the novel material. Great animation and great character designs (compared to Toradora!); but it's just too damn slow, or should I say, the execution is lacking in creativity (besides my slight dislike for emo-boy) when it comes to the dialogue-intensive parts. I'm glad they are not cutting stuff--paying "some respects" to the original idea, I guess--but please, dedicate more effort to convey/illustrate those scenes without dragging the absurdity of the situation as well, or realize that the notion of forcing too much information onto the viewer is not working.

Kemeko Deluxe

Kemeko is awesome... one of the most moé characters in recent memory... I mean, one of the funniest characters I've have come across for the past few months. The show itself revolves around Kemeko, but there's no excuse to refrain oneself from the pleasure and amusement of enjoying the doll's strange, yet hilarious antics.

Shikabane Hime Aka.

How many episodes did I watch of this?? 1 or 2, before it became licensed...

the first episode was so-so... and so were the characters; and so was the animation; and so was the story...

Kannagi.

Ga-REI Zero.

wtf, ******** ****... not sure of what to expect for the following episodes. The first one was censored, and I definitely disagree with the idea of censorships... maybe later on...

Skip Beat!.

licensed, hmmm... later on, I guess...

Macademi Wasshoi!

ok, not that bad, not that great either...

Vampire Knight Guilty.

hmmmm... maybe later on...

ef ~ a tale of melodies.

hmmmm... I will start watching once it's over...

Kurozuka.

so, any idea of where the story is leading to? and it's certainly not an issue of curiosity/mystery, but one of disbelief with regards to how the story is unfolding.

Unique and great style; smooth and fascinating action scenes; very complex characters... but geez, I don't really get the "point" of the story (i.e. purpose/motives)

Mouryou no Hako.

interesting plot, very interesting, really interesting, but... (there's a but) the characters designs look "cheap," which does not make justice to the level of intrigue/mystery of the story.

Nodame Cantabile Parish Chapter.

The only good thing I love about the show is the ending song... This new season of Nodame felt rushed, and I was sort of right when I did some research (I'm no manga reader, by the way). The "musical" aspect is gone, and with it, part of its charm; but the anime is not necessarily bad. The humor is still there, together with the dynamics of Nodame's and Chiaki's relationship.

Chaos Head.

another show I wished did not have some horrid and cheap looking character designs. Enjoyable, mildly amusing for the most part...

Tytania.

later on...

Michiko to Hatchin.

A welcome surprise for this season. Great animation and strong writing for something in the action genre, strictly speaking, of course. The voice acting is outstanding as well, and I'm pretty sure I haven't listened such a smooth acting in quite a while. Definitely, something to look forward to each week.

Seto no Hanayome.

waiting for the subs never mind... will watch it one of these days.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - OAD.

cr**, I forgot what this episode was about...

I think it was good, even though I'm still waiting for a particular group to finish the second season (probably never, so I'm waiting for somebody to release a batch). The OAD stands on its own, though; but watching the first season, or part of the second, may be a good idea, just to become familiar with the antics of each character.

Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 15:23   Link #33
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

Hmm… Stealing someone else’s idea.

BAD:
Yozakura Quartet -- Really boring. Chara-designs looked good and OP rocks, but that’s it.
Toradora! – Loli.
Tales of the Abyss -- Shonen at its worst.
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka – Seriously, if anyone gives this higher than a 4/10, they must be crazy. It is literally a carbon-copy of every other moe high school show EVER.

OKAY:
CLANNAD ~After Story~ -- If these stupid predictable, sis-con, and overdone-moe plots don’t stop, I’ll either rip my hair out or just stop watching.
Hyakko – literally the worst OP I’ve ever heard. It’s got Hirano-san, and it doesn’t totally suck, but it got boring by episode 3.

GOOD:
Junjou Romantica 2 -- More of the same as 1, but I’m not complaining.
Kuroshitsuji -- Interesting and funny and a little bit weird, but production values fell after the first few eps so that’s why it’s not in the ‘great’ section.

GREAT:
Kurozuka -- Confusing as fuck, but I still love it.
Michiko e Hatchin -- or “Michiko to Hatchin”, which ever. Either way it’s super awesome and by far the best show this season.
Kannagi – “Crazy Shrine Maidens” initially turned me off to this show, but it’s high quality look and surprisingly original stories made me watch it.
Lucky Star OVA – the pet shop scene was the trippiest thing I’ve ever seen, but the rest is just more great Lucky Star action.

I know how pissy I sound. I'm in a bad mood.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 14:59   Link #34
Tiran86

Favorites of the season: Toradora, Hyakko.

Toradora is my absolute favorite of the season. Its my favorite school anime cast in awhile. I'm enjoying both the novels and the anime a lot.

Hyakko doesn't do the serious as well as Toradora, but it does the comedy nearly as well imho, although its mostly the Torako show.

Still interested and watching: Clannad, Tytania, Michiko + Hatchin.

Clannad's a consistant 8/10. It does everything well and its a good watch. I'm not really sure where Tytania or M+H is headed story wise yet, so they've kept my interest despite not being particually amazing.

On Hold till the end of the season
Akasaka, EF Melodies, Index and Kannagi. The pacing simply doesn't work for me for EF and Index at one episode a week. Akasaka is mostly hit or miss so I'll just watch it all in one go since I am mildly curious to how it ends. I don't really care for Kannagi. I'll watch it after its over if I feel like it.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 14:54   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Update from season start....

This is an update to my initial season plans. Interesting how things change.
Oddly this one ended up being on my "download now, watch on a rainy day" queue. Though I anticipated it greatly, I haven't watched more than a few minutes.
Started season on "rainy day" queue, still there. I just feel like it needs a marathon, I guess.
This one is odd.... very much a love/hate. Each episode I consider dropping it because of the pacing, but something keeps me watching.
This is very well executed, wonderful animation. But after the first few episodes, my interest is waning. Considering my love of any series that has Shinto elements, quite odd. Perhaps it is the loss of the "wonderful" that marked the first few episodes as the plot moves along into daily life relationships. OTOH, Tsugumi is a bit of a hidden jewel here.
Overall a solid series though, in the top five of the season.
Finally dropped it. It has moments of brilliance but really I found the horrifying robosuit gag painful after a few moments. The rest is fine -- basically fluff comedy sex farce. +10 for use of Beethoven's Ninth.
Just failed to grab my attention; never started it.
Though its just weird to see a PG-ified remake of the excellent OVAs, the series has hit its own stride around episode 5 or 6. Its a pleasant little show about fifth graders just on the cusp of having any clue about that boy/girl thing that lies ahead. The kids actually seem like 5th grader japanese kids (unlike most series that try to portray that age).
Zany..... but dropped. Maybe this just isn't my season for that kind of comedy since Kemeko DX and such also got dropped.
Dropped. Not because its bad.... just don't want that kind of drama in my head right now.
"rainy day" queued.
Dropped for lack of time.
Dropped for lack of time.
Never got a chance to see an episode, dropped.
Absolutely my top favorite of the season. Having a light novel source to work with helps the story -- but definitely interesting. Labeling the characters by shallow archetype is a terrible blunder as each has very interesting deviations. Very much an ensemble cast
Never started (shrug).
Never started (shrug).
The first episode caught my attention, ep 2 looked interesting.... but then it seemed to turn into a horrifying mix of the worst of eroge adaptations. Despite the prospect of wincest with Minato, the rest was just too painful to endure. Dropped like a hot iron.

Pickups:
  • Kurozuka (7 eps watched)
This is just freaking beautiful yet not for the squeamish. I showed it to a friend my age who hasn't seen much anime; his response was perfect ("holy sh**, this is really grownup stuff!") Even without knowing much about the culture he could see that damn near every scene was layered with symbolics and metaphor.
I'm not really fond of the time spent in the post-apocalypse future but the series is quite compelling with its stretch over a thousand years and topic of immortality and love.

Continuances:
  • Soul Eater (20-something eps watched)
Just a hilarious mix of low-level farce, 60s crazy art style, and a band of broken heroes.... dogpiles a lot of shounen cliche with the satire.
  • Hidamari Sketch x365 (full season done)
Slice of Life beautifully executed -- goes perfectly with a nice hot cup of tea.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-03 at 18:43.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 23:42   Link #36
Falkor

Vexx, how long did it take you to do that post... ?

I can see some nice formatting (using 3 colors!) with indented margins, and sorted in a very formal fashion--not to mention that you included 20+ links or so to the different websites and generic discussion threads in AS...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 18:39   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can't take credit for that.... in the pre-season thread that "Slice of Life" originated, he had a very nice post in which he did all the hard work. I just took that and substituted/altered as necessary.

The Advanced posting tool is *almost* a word processor
Old 2008-12-04, 00:37   Link #38
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Alternatively there is the BBcode extension for Firefox
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-04, 20:39   Link #39
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I prefer to keep it simple, so I am actually gonna copy what others have done.

GREAT:

-Kannagi
-Toradora

2 shows I knew nothing about at the start of the season, have suddenly become my current favorites. If the ending of the season for Kannagi delivers, It will become a fine addition to my list of all time favorites.

GOOD

-Ga-rei Zero
-Clannad After Story
-To Aru Majutsu no Index.

I'll be watching these three all the way to the end. Thank god the silly comedy is over in Ga-rei Zero.

NOT SO GOOD

-Tales of the Abyss

The one show I was expecting the most ended up being one of the biggest disappointments of my watch list. I am only watching this out of respect for the game.

DROPPED

-Hyakko

Could never get into this one. I watched three episodes and don't plan to watch more.
Old 2008-12-10, 07:29   Link #40
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Neki Ecko's Autumn 2008 Anime Review Report

2008 Autumn Anime Season has been with alot of surprises and alot of letdowns but all of all, it was okay season but there is few standouts and few failures. I will talk about them.

My Point Grade System
A - Best/Very Good
B - Good
C - Average
D - Okay
F - Haatted it/Not a chance in Hell
I - Didnt look at it yet
Also those will be on if it has a chance to come to the States.
Let begin. (The Number is how many eps I have look at)

Vampire Knight Guilty(5):
Grade: B
Licensed: B
I know that Vampire Knight Guilty kinda fall off alittle bit after the first season but it still has a great storyline and very good characters with it. Plus it is so much better than that piece of crap know as Twilight that came out of the theater (personal feelings). Will be licensed here soon, maybe by Funimation or Viz

Toradora (10):
Grade: A
Licensed: A
If somebody tell you that Toradora would be one of the best Autumn Anime and one of front-runners for Best Surprised Anime and/or Best Anime of the Year (non-sequel). You would probably laugh until you cant breath and I was one of those people as well but this series is changing alot of people review about this series. It takes a cliche genre and flipped on its head, turned 180 degrees and turned it again. This series is awesome, from top to bottom and if this continues, you probably see a licensed in a heartbeat by next year but one thing: PLEASE FUNIMATION, VIZ, ADV FILMS DO NOT GET THIS OKAY THANKS

Chaos; Head (3):
Grade: C
Licensed: C
Let see, Cute Girls: Check, Cute Girls with Knives: Check, Cute Girls with Knives with Guts Stranglers with Main Guy who acts like a wuss and scared that he might be Next: Check. We had a series like this before but it didnt suck that much with this, but it is good for a dark and scary night, drunk on half case of Beer but the game is much better.

Kannagi (5):
Licensed: A
It seems like every guy in falls for a girl that magically appeared from walls, falls out of the sky, coming through your bathtub while you still in it, Coming out of your fridge, etc, etc. Whats next, Coming in from Drain, Walking out of the trash can, or Nevermind, the mind can wonders. But this series is very funny and It can be a big hit in the States with ADV Films could take this, but please no more with magically appeared girls from different objects, please we beggin you.

To Aru Majutsu no Index (9):
Licensed: B
Now, if you have a series with alot of characters with super crazy powers, bottomless bellys, loli-sized teachers that smokes and drinks, Hot Middle School kid that is Lighting Rod that wears shorts under her skirts and a loli-Nun that is free blowing in the wind after been exposed once already. Mixed all together and what you get, not a epic series but To Aru Majutsu no Index. The series is okay and if it has a strong second half, maybe it could be going to US as a part of Bandai/Funimation team.

Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka (2):
Grade: D
Licensed: F
Another fail experiment of making a Anime out of H-type game. Please if you going to do this, make sure that there is a storyline that we can follow, besides looking at cute girls gets older by Beach episode. This series didnt listen, dont worry, it is going to get licensed by somebody, anybody.

Kurogane no Linebarrels (1):
Grade: F
Licensed: F

Okay, maybe somebody must been drinking alot of hard booze when they came up with this horrible excuse of a Mecha series. I am not Mecha series that much besides Gundam 00, Aquarian and other but what the heck they were thinking.
GONZO: Let make a series, with a antsy and justice freak that wants to be a Hero (or be on Heroes, TV series)
RANDOM GUY A: Yeah, he can pilot a big giant robot because chicks like it.
RANDOM GUY B (with blood coming out of his nose): Cool, we can have some nekkid young girl coming out of the robot(btw, badly drawn)
GONZO: That is good idea, guy so what about the plot???/
RANDOM GUY A&B: What plot

Oh GONZO, why have you fail so hard, too many hit and misses and this one is a completely and totally failure.