AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-07, 10:21   Link #601
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

So...Fire and Ice are related because...they are elements?

I'm guessing that sand control would be related since it's an element.

I guess the base skill is element X.

Anyways, if it's applicable, then what is it in English and how does it apply? Stealth obviously doesn't apply, so if it's only ステルス in a certain situation, I'm not sure why they would put it up on the wiki..
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 11:04   Link #602
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
So...Fire and Ice are related because...they are elements?

I'm guessing that sand control would be related since it's an element.

I guess the base skill is element X.

Anyways, if it's applicable, then what is it in English and how does it apply? Stealth obviously doesn't apply, so if it's only ステルス in a certain situation, I'm not sure why they would put it up on the wiki..
I have to find the exact quote first to be sure. I do remember no mention of anything related to stealth was made though. But it does appear to be specific since it doesn't appear anywhere else.
Old 2011-05-07, 11:15   Link #603
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Right, Cao Cao, and she ends every sentence with a gobi, whether it be ne or yo, and it's always in katakana. How on Earth do I translate it so that's obvious?

And, she does call her self Koko in the beginning right? It's not supposed to be Cao Cao, right?

Last edited by Icy.Tear; 2011-05-07 at 11:28.
Old 2011-05-07, 11:30   Link #604
larethian

超能力(ステルス)

The author either wants ステルス to be the reading of 超能力 with no special meaning tied to it, and thus the real meaning is 超能力. Or to indicate a double meaning with the furigana such that the "power/ability" is related to a "stealth" technique, as others have mentioned. My LN reading experience tells me that the chance of the later case is higher, ie. furigana used for double meaning representations. There are actually 3 options to translate this:

1. translate only the reading (furigana)
2. translate only the writing (kanji only in this case)
3. translate both

The author wants the readers to read it as "Stealth" with the understanding that it is a "Super Power". Choosing (2) will mean the reader reads it in a way not intended by the author, choosing (1) may confuse the reader. But that can be fixed by adding a translator note if you choose either (1) or (2).

If this is an important word to the story and is repeated often, then I will recommend choosing (3), though a translation note will still be in order on its first occurrence. (Weird, I thought this topic should be in Lingua Franca?). If you choose (3), you can write "Stealth (Super Power)", or you can use the template Template:Furigana that Eusth has created for my projects, where double meanings occur regularly and are important to be distinguished in the story. If you want to use the template, the format would be:
{{Furigana|Super Power|Stealth}}

EDIT:
the template link: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...plate:Furigana
a personal usage example (with customized parameters): http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...tsuten:Vampire
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 11:38   Link #605
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Right, Cao Cao, and she ends every sentence with a gobi, whether it be ne or yo, and it's always in katakana. How on Earth do I translate it so that's obvious?

And, she does call her self Koko in the beginning right? It's not supposed to be Cao Cao, right?
Her name is written as Koko but the vol 7 pics clearly list her name as Cao Cao.
Old 2011-05-07, 11:43   Link #606
larethian

Quote:
There are 70~80 different attributes, as mentioned.
Therefore, there are 70~80 different types of abilities.

What kind of original ability would we be talking about anyway...Creation attribute?

I know what it means, I translated it as 'ability' whenever it came up, since I don't ever see that katakana there, normally. However, as I was browsing wiki.jp, I saw ステルス there, so I want to know if it is applicable.
eh? so there's no furigana in the raws? don't trust the wiki too much then. or it could be something in the future. in that case, you should just leave it until it comes up.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 11:47   Link #607
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
eh? so there's no furigana in the raws? don't trust the wiki too much then. or it could be something in the future. in that case, you should just leave it until it comes up.
Exactly.

I even went and tracked down the first mention, (since that's where the furigana would be if there were any,) and nothing. Just chounoryouku.

And that's what I'll do XD

Thanks for the tips with the furigana thing though, I've been reading Itsuten, and I was wondering how you did that XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Her name is written as Koko but the vol 7 pics clearly list her name as Cao Cao.
That's my problem you see. I have the Chinese raws and the Japanese raws. At Cao Cao's first meeting, her name is written as 珂珂. I checked though, and she's called 曹操 later, in the Chinese raws. So, I was wondering whether the 珂珂 reading was such that the reader would not immediately realize that she was the descendant of Cao Cao. Cao Cao is written as ツァオ・ツァオ as the norm, while ココ isn't. Or, could it be that, while she is the descendant of Cao Cao, her actual name is Koko?
Old 2011-05-07, 12:05   Link #608
endarion88

maibe she just call herself koko becouse cao cao sounds bad XD
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 12:08   Link #609
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Exactly.

I even went and tracked down the first mention, (since that's where the furigana would be if there were any,) and nothing. Just chounoryouku.

And that's what I'll do XD

Thanks for the tips with the furigana thing though, I've been reading Itsuten, and I was wondering how you did that XD

That's my problem you see. I have the Chinese raws and the Japanese raws. At Cao Cao's first meeting, her name is written as 珂珂. I checked though, and she's called 曹操 later, in the Chinese raws. So, I was wondering whether the 珂珂 reading was such that the reader would not immediately realize that she was the descendant of Cao Cao. Cao Cao is written as ツァオ・ツァオ as the norm, while ココ isn't. Or, could it be that, while she is the descendant of Cao Cao, her actual name is Koko?
Since the Mandarin ones also call her Cao Cao and her name in English is that, why not just stick with it...could be the author trying to make a word play for all I know...
Old 2011-05-07, 13:03   Link #610
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

No, you misunderstand. 珂珂 is her name in the first mention.

She's only called 曹操 later.
Old 2011-05-07, 13:11   Link #611
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
No, you misunderstand. 珂珂 is her name in the first mention.

She's only called 曹操 later.
I don't....if she's called Cao Cao more rather than Ke Ke in Mandarin then it stands to reason that the latter is her correct term of address no?
Old 2011-05-07, 13:23   Link #612
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

OK, what I said is inaccurate. She is called 珂珂 nearly all the time, but 曹操 is used when directly referring to her lineage.

And, the Kanji 曹操 in the Japanese raws have the Koko furigana. But they are only used when referring to the ancestor Cao Cao.

However, that brings up an interesting point, because it's not immediately obvious to Kinji that Cao Cao might be her ancestor when she calls herself Koko. Presumably though, when she says Cao Cao to Kinji, she's pronouncing it the same way as her name, Koko. That said, I do think that there's a distinction between the two names, which shows up in Japanese, but not in English, since English is based completely upon pronunciation, rather than the characters.

Which makes it nigh impossible for me to translate it properly, Unless I translate her own name as Kao Kao, while leaving the mentions of Cao Cao to the bloodline, but that's slightly stupid.

So, I'm taking suggestions. Personally, I would prefer to call her Cao Cao all the way through, but I don't think that that captures the author's intent.
Old 2011-05-07, 13:37   Link #613
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
OK, what I said is inaccurate. She is called 珂珂 nearly all the time, but 曹操 is used when directly referring to her lineage.

And, the Kanji 曹操 in the Japanese raws have the Koko furigana. But they are only used when referring to the ancestor Cao Cao.

However, that brings up an interesting point, because it's not immediately obvious to Kinji that Cao Cao might be her ancestor when she calls herself Koko. Presumably though, when she says Cao Cao to Kinji, she's pronouncing it the same way as her name, Koko. That said, I do think that there's a distinction between the two names, which shows up in Japanese, but not in English, since English is based completely upon pronunciation, rather than the characters.

Which makes it nigh impossible for me to translate it properly, Unless I translate her own name as Kao Kao, while leaving the mentions of Cao Cao to the bloodline, but that's slightly stupid.

So, I'm taking suggestions. Personally, I would prefer to call her Cao Cao all the way through, but I don't think that that captures the author's intent.
Well if the mandarin version states that as the most frequent then use Koko....I was assuming that it was Cao Cao in Mandarin as well...It would also fit the original. Then just mention it as Cao Cao when her ancestry is mentioned.

Strange then why the author would use Cao Cao as the official English title instead of Koko though...technically it is not wrong...

Additionally the author calls Reki 蕾姬 but it is still pronounced レキ instead of レイツィ or something.....

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2011-05-07 at 13:55.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 13:58   Link #614
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Yeah, but ツァオ・ツァオ is Cao Cao's actual name in Japanese, (according to the Japanese wiki, anyways.)

Whereas, 蕾姬 doesn't have an actual romanized name.
Old 2011-05-07, 14:01   Link #615
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Yeah, but ツァオ・ツァオ is Cao Cao's actual name in Japanese, (according to the Japanese wiki, anyways.)

Whereas, 蕾姬 doesn't have an actual romanized name.
huh...from the way they were romanizing Mandarin left and right in Cao Cao/ Koko's speech and the speech of Chinese in the Double A manga....yeah..Akamatsu really is taking liberties with it....
Old 2011-05-07, 14:05   Link #616
tsunade666

where does the reki name come from anyway? most of the girls in this series comes from a certain lineage but I haven't had any clue about our mongolian princess.
Old 2011-05-07, 14:08   Link #617
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Reki doesn't come from anywhere. It isn't her real name.
Old 2011-05-07, 14:11   Link #618
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Ok...now this is plain confusing....Upon double checking....our Hongkonger names Cao Cao, Sou Sou, by the actual pronunciation of his kanji....yet a sentence before, when referring to the same person, names the kanji as Ko Ko....She does correctly name him Mengde as well though...
Old 2011-05-07, 14:14   Link #619
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Yeah, I saw the reference to Meng De. And now, I see the furigana for Sou Sou.

Yeah...I'll just keep her real name as Koko, and keep Cao Cao as a reference as the bloodline name. After all, the existence of a different pronunciatoin of Cao Cao is enough to delineate the difference between Koko and Sou Sou, even if Cao Cao is mentioned again with a Koko furiagana.

So yeah, verdict would probably be: Koko - Real name, Cao Cao - bloodline name.

I'll see whether there're any replies on the BT forum.
Old 2011-05-07, 14:16   Link #620
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
where does the reki name come from anyway? most of the girls in this series comes from a certain lineage but I haven't had any clue about our mongolian princess.
Kazayuki names her as such, claiming it is the name of the descendents of Minamoto no Yoshitsune and Genghis Khan....in the very last line of vol 6..

Both from dynasties spanning the same eras and both warriors skilled at archery as their contemporary battle tactics dictate...

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen