AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-28, 12:01   Link #1781
勝利は単純な魂の中に

I don't think she says "pi". That's just the sound of the device she's using. She usually keeps it in her bag so that's why she reached in there when she attempted to control Mikoto.
Old 2011-05-28, 12:56   Link #1782
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
From the Chinese scanlation, I got it that Misaki doesn't like Mikoto for being friendly with students that don't belong to a faction. Seems like the Queen is jealous of Mikoto's overarching friendliness.

Also, something I noticed: Misaki says "Pi" when Mental Out is activated. It could be that it's a keyword for when Misaki wants to use Mental Out. At the same time, there are two possible ways she had been attempting to use it on Mikoto: by tapping on the shoulder, or by putting her hand into her shoulder bag. I'm not sure how Mental Out is originally done, but it seems it has the capability to be used on those by the use of "Pi" when the person was previously under her control.
Pi?
Like the that Pi = 3.1416...?
That was the first thing coming to my mind at reading that.

By the looks of her it seems Mental Out needs to follow some restrictions or rules in order to use her power.
Old 2011-05-28, 12:56   Link #1783
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
I don't think she says "pi". That's just the sound of the device she's using. She usually keeps it in her bag so that's why she reached in there when she attempted to control Mikoto.
While you can argue that with the first instance, the second "Pi" came when Misaki didn't have her hand in the bag. So, my guess is that the "Pi" is a trigger sound she makes to activate Mental Out on her victims. Now, did she already need to have touched her victim once, or is it that she only needs to make that sound to activate it for anyone who can hear it? We'll find out in the future, I suppose.
Old 2011-05-28, 13:08   Link #1784
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
While you can argue that with the first instance, the second "Pi" came when Misaki didn't have her hand in the bag. So, my guess is that the "Pi" is a trigger sound she makes to activate Mental Out on her victims. Now, did she already need to have touched her victim once, or is it that she only needs to make that sound to activate it for anyone who can hear it? We'll find out in the future, I suppose.
Spoiler:

From the first image you can see that the "pi" speech bubble is pointing downwards (i.e. Misaki is not the one saying it). Furthermore the kana used is of a format generally used for sound effects.

The second image clearly shows the "pi" coming from the device she's holding.
Old 2011-05-28, 13:25   Link #1785
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
Spoiler:

From the first image you can see that the "pi" speech bubble is pointing downwards (i.e. Misaki is not the one saying it). Furthermore the kana used is of a format generally used for sound effects.

The second image clearly shows the "pi" coming from the device she's holding.
Ah, I missed the third "pi". Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 2011-05-28, 18:27   Link #1786
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm more or less starting to see what the theme for this new arc is going to be; Friendship

If we the Index formula, every new girl is either a damsel, heroine, or villainess- and the first two is interchangeable. Kongo was the 'damsel' in this two chapter with Mikoto being the heroine that save her. At first I thought we're done with Kongo's mini story arc about making friends, but I now realize there's a possibility of that splashing over to Misaki. So going by the formula, I speculate Misaki would do something to increase tension in Tokiwadai leading to something like civil war.

Misaki would be the 'villainess' while Kongo would be upgraded to 'heroine' status because in a twist as subtle as a crowbar, we learn that Misaki was like Kongo who just wants to make friends but is doing it the wrong way... God knows every other toaru villain is someone with misguided intentions that keeps doing things the roundabout and complicated way.
Old 2011-05-28, 19:42   Link #1787
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm more or less starting to see what the theme for this new arc is going to be; Friendship

If we the Index formula, every new girl is either a damsel, heroine, or villainess- and the first two is interchangeable. Kongo was the 'damsel' in this two chapter with Mikoto being the heroine that save her. At first I thought we're done with Kongo's mini story arc about making friends, but I now realize there's a possibility of that splashing over to Misaki. So going by the formula, I speculate Misaki would do something to increase tension in Tokiwadai leading to something like civil war.

Misaki would be the 'villainess' while Kongo would be upgraded to 'heroine' status because in a twist as subtle as a crowbar, we learn that Misaki was like Kongo who just wants to make friends but is doing it the wrong way... God knows every other toaru villain is someone with misguided intentions that keeps doing things the roundabout and complicated way.
Biagio, Terra and Amai say 'sup.

Anyways, you're quite right about the likely direction of this arc. I anticipate some epic trolling.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2011-05-28, 21:54   Link #1788
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Change...What? Her bust size?

It's not so much as trespass, she just warned Mikoto not to try anything fun on her turf.
I believe the words used on the last page of the chapter delibrately made it debatable to what she was talking about - it could be her bust size or it could just being a middle school student or not

And yeah, Misaki is basically saying

Spoiler for Ch41:
Old 2011-05-28, 22:21   Link #1789
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Biagio, Terra and Amai say 'sup.
...Are they... New girls ?

Every Index arc has a new girl/woman.

2, Himegami
3, Imouto
4, Misha
5, Last Order
6, Hyouka
7, Orsola and Agnese
8, Awaki
9 + 10, Fukiyose and Oriana
11, Itsuwa
12 + 13, Vento
14, Oyafune ()
15, [Item] girls
16, 3rd Princess ()
17 + 18, Princesses + New Light
19, Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I believe the words used on the last page of the chapter delibrately made it debatable to what she was talking about - it could be her bust size or it could just being a middle school student or not

And yeah, Misaki is basically saying

Spoiler for Ch41:
Similarly, there's a formula in Toaru- everything a character does or doesn't do, is a hint towards their weakness. Why hasn't Misaki already control the school, if she's really that powerful she shouldn't see Mikoto as a threat to her social status.
Old 2011-05-29, 00:31   Link #1790
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
...Are they... New girls ?

Every Index arc has a new girl/woman.

2, Himegami
3, Imouto
4, Misha
5, Last Order
6, Hyouka
7, Orsola and Agnese
8, Awaki
9 + 10, Fukiyose and Oriana
11, Itsuwa
12 + 13, Vento
14, Oyafune ()
15, [Item] girls
16, 3rd Princess ()
17 + 18, Princesses + New Light
19, Stephanie

Similarly, there's a formula in Toaru- everything a character does or doesn't do, is a hint towards their weakness. Why hasn't Misaki already control the school, if she's really that powerful she shouldn't see Mikoto as a threat to her social status.
So if a named female character shows up she will have some sort of important role in the story? Just for argument's sake, apart from Lessar the rest of New Light was pretty much mooks to be beaten by Necessarius to drive the plot behind the civil war. There's also Elizerina, the leader of her country. Got defeated by Fiamma and then helped in the background to stop the Star of Bethlehem, but nowhere near 'important' comparatively to other things going on at the same time (I'm counting by the number of scenes she shows up in - maybe 2-3 times throughout WW3).

And as for why Misaki doesn't control the school... you're suggesting the teaching faculty won't notice, or failing that even outside factors like the Board of Trustees. Eventually someone far enough from her influence will figure out Misaki has done something to Tokiwadai and things will crash down around her.
For me, Misaki only see Mikoto as a possible threat, but not someone that can actually overthrow her place as the most influential individual (among the students anyway) in Tokiwadai.
That, or Misaki's just trolling Mikoto. Misaki reminds me of Laura Stuart for some reason, probably the long hair and how manipulative they are.

Now we just need to avoid having Mr.Kyon seeing this post and we'll avoid a crack fic along the lines of Misaki is Laura's daughter and sent into AC as a spy...
Old 2011-05-29, 00:44   Link #1791
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
So if a named female character shows up she will have some sort of important role in the story? Just for argument's sake, apart from Lessar the rest of New Light was pretty much mooks to be beaten by Necessarius to drive the plot behind the civil war. There's also Elizerina, the leader of her country. Got defeated by Fiamma and then helped in the background to stop the Star of Bethlehem, but nowhere near 'important' comparatively to other things going on at the same time (I'm counting by the number of scenes she shows up in - maybe 2-3 times throughout WW3).

Exceptions. In most cases, there will always be a new female character relevant to the current arc. In most arcs, there is almost always a damsel. I'm merely suggesting that Railgun might follow this format to a certain extend, but Railgun stories don't always follow Index's format because they don't have a Hero character.

Hero, as in male, as saving a damsel, which is Kamachi's style.

Quote:
And as for why Misaki doesn't control the school... you're suggesting the teaching faculty won't notice, or failing that even outside factors like the Board of Trustees. Eventually someone far enough from her influence will figure out Misaki has done something to Tokiwadai and things will crash down around her.
For me, Misaki only see Mikoto as a possible threat, but not someone that can actually overthrow her place as the most influential individual (among the students anyway) in Tokiwadai.
That, or Misaki's just trolling Mikoto. Misaki reminds me of Laura Stuart for some reason, probably the long hair and how manipulative they are.
Easy there big guy, I'm not in favor of the idea of Misaki taking over the school as well. I'm just wondering why hasn't she done it, and if it relates to a hidden restriction of her Mental Out powers. Like I've said, in toaru- anything a character does or doesn't do, is a clue to cover some kind of weakness.
Old 2011-05-29, 02:44   Link #1792
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I am pretty sure now. That shot of Kuroko in bed has nothing to do with the current plot.
It is just a chapter opening shot, just like we see Shiage in one of the chapter opening back then.
The current time line in Railgun right now is no doubt before or during Etzali's arc.
Old 2011-05-29, 03:46   Link #1793
zaeraal

Quote:
Why hasn't Misaki already control the school, if she's really that powerful she shouldn't see Mikoto as a threat to her social status.
That's simple, she can't do it. Note that AC scientists tenaciously study all esper powers, with more focus on the higher levels, mostly level 5. If they managed to study Misaka to the extent of creating super-powered version of railgun (Telestina was only begining), they easily could have replicated her other powers. (PS: Doesn't those AC bombarders use a method of manipulating iron sand?) If Misaka could have reflected Misaki's attack with her electric barier, they could have devices that replicates the same thing, additionalzy her powers don't work on cameras nor robots. plus they have a lot of devices that can stop espers (that antiskills normaly don't have acces to..). Even the testament device is in some way replication of Misaki's powers, so I am sure they know how to protect themselves or know when she is using them.
Old 2011-05-29, 09:39   Link #1794
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Easy there big guy, I'm not in favor of the idea of Misaki taking over the school as well. I'm just wondering why hasn't she done it, and if it relates to a hidden restriction of her Mental Out powers. Like I've said, in toaru- anything a character does or doesn't do, is a clue to cover some kind of weakness.
Pride, every single level 5 has shown a high or ridiculous pride enough to become their weakness, so she will use her powers just in case things gets out of her hands, probably thats why Misaki gave Mikoto a little show of her powers, just in case.
Old 2011-05-29, 10:25   Link #1795
Phibrizzo
Honos628

I have always feel mental powers are a 2 edged sword and this kind of characters are normally a bit more lvl headed, while her status and all that point to pride its maybe a requirement for her (kinda like Aureolous).
Old 2011-05-29, 10:47   Link #1796
arson88

if the manga author gets the permission to design Misaki's character and appearance now, maybe next year we will get the 6th LVL 5 if Kazuma Kamachi is absorbed in the story plot instead.
Old 2011-05-29, 11:05   Link #1797
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by arson88 View Post
if the manga author gets the permission to design Misaki's character and appearance now, maybe next year we will get the 6th LVL 5 if Kazuma Kamachi is absorbed in the story plot instead.
Why would Aogami appear in Railgun?
Old 2011-05-29, 11:27   Link #1798
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Because he is awesome enough (?).
Old 2011-05-29, 13:02   Link #1799
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I am pretty sure now. That shot of Kuroko in bed has nothing to do with the current plot.
It is just a chapter opening shot, just like we see Shiage in one of the chapter opening back then.
The current time line in Railgun right now is no doubt before or during Etzali's arc.
But this logic could work in the exact opposite way. While the opening shot has no influence in the actual chapter, it can be perfectly placed there as to give the reader a time and place to locate the events in; in such case that would be in academy city after the remnant incident.

I would have loved another rendition of the fake date thing, but to be honest all evidence is just moving in another direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Because he is awesome enough
QFT(?)
Old 2011-05-29, 14:19   Link #1800
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Kuroko needs to end with somebody, that is the truth of shipper like me.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen