AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-28, 23:13   Link #1
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Anime with hilarious dubs? (Ghost Stories, Cromartie)

I've recently seen some episodes of recent series Danshi Koukousei, and while looking for more genuine anime comedy, came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

I'm looking for other series with English dubs like this, funny, well-written, and possibly full of writers' liberties and ad-libbing such as that clip of ADV's Ghost Stories dub. I've seen all of Cromartie dubbed, which was hilarious (and also had the same dub writer), but I've been uninterested by Bobobo and Duel Masters, which had similarly styled dubs to Ghost Stories. Unless their DVD versions were somehow funnier, I wouldn't reconsider those two.

Suggestions?
Old 2012-01-29, 00:31   Link #2
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
It's no ghost stories but I like some liberties taken by the Highschool of the dead dub (includes notably a sarah palin reference).

Similarly,if you can get your hands on the old "Dirty Pair:Project EDEN" movie dub done by streamline I think it'll suit you,avoid the new one done by ADV though.
Old 2012-01-29, 01:20   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Off the top of my head, these 3 are pretty good on the ad-libing for Americans, and gold during comedy moments...

Gokudo

GTO

Desert Punk
Old 2012-01-29, 02:54   Link #4
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

As it turns out, the writer for the Highschool of the Dead dub "I like turtles" is also the writer for that of Ghost Stories, as well as some of the Dirty Pair OAVs. The Streamline dub of that movie sounds very interesting by some (one) lines that I've read in reviews, "What do you think they are, Braille?". I don't think I'm desperate enough to go VHS hunting, though I'll have to keep it in mind.

I would just try to watch every dub Steven Foster wrote, but I don't know if he's Ghost Stories/Cromartie funny with every series or actually writes most of his series seriously.

Thanks for introducing me to Gokudo and reminding me of Desert Punk. I'll have to seriously watch some episodes of GTO as well. Gokudo, even if it's not the particular kind of humor I'm looking for, still gives me that good feeling I get from seeing old, quality anime, just from watching the first episode.

However I'm more looking for something that actually manages to be funny throughout an entire (or at least a good duration of an) episode than just a dub that gets all of the original comedy moments right.
Old 2012-01-29, 02:58   Link #5
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Seto no hetomeyo??? anyway that mermaid gangster anime

That had Perfect dubs for all the characters, normally i cringe at dubs but that was great
Old 2012-01-29, 04:31   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try Hayate the Combat Butler (the English dub was from Animax) and School Rumble !
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-01-29, 08:22   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The English script writers for Oh! Edo Rocket took many liberties with the translation, probably because the original has a lot of Japanese cultural references that wouldn't make sense to a North American audience. (In episode fourteen the characters wonder how a scene will be translated for foreign viewers.) Some of the changes are quite funny, like the scenes with "Kin-san the Playboy" where he channels Elvis. There are only four dubbed episodes for free on the Hulu site, so to hear them all you'll need to buy the DVDs. Right now you have to buy two half-season packs, but Funi is releasing a complete collection in April.

The fansubbed version from Shinsen took great pains to render the script accurately and included notes where needed to help foreign viewers. I've not really watched the subtitled version from Funimation; I've just watched their dubs on both TV and DVD.

This show can be quite hilarious at times in the Japanese version, too!
Old 2012-01-30, 11:53   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
The Streamline dub of that movie sounds very interesting by some (one) lines that I've read in reviews, "What do you think they are, Braille?". I don't think I'm desperate enough to go VHS hunting, though I'll have to keep it in mind.
Well looks like you might not have to go VHS hunting:

Quote:
DIRTY PAIR: The Original Features DVD Collection Announced for May 2012!

January 25, 2012: The DIRTY PAIR: The Original Features DVD Collection, which includes the Project Eden film and the Affair of Nolandia and Flight 005 Conspiracy OVAs, will be available on May 1, 2012! Like our other recent Dirty Pair DVD releases, these features will utilize remastered video from the Japanese DVDs, plus THREE audio tracks -- two English audio options (the Streamline Pictures and ADV Films dubs) and Japanese audio, along with English-language subtitles and on-screen translations.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:25   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I dont know if it's considered hilarious (or sad) but anything done by 4Kids back in the day like One Piece and YGO.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Closed Thread