AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-05-24, 20:23   Link #61
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Someone repped me saying my info here was misleading. Whomever it was is an IDIOT. You bitches that rep me don't know a thing about computers, ok? Come out and say what it is you want to say so I can make you look like the ass you are.

Last edited by RaistlinMajere; 2006-05-24 at 21:10.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 16:44   Link #62
remase2

video cards

i need some advice for a good video card.
price range is under $80.
i have a sli motherboard and i think i want a nvidia card
i don't play pc games mostly just watch stuff on tv.
any advice would be greatly appreciated
remase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 02:44   Link #63
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127094

You don't really need much if you're just watching stuff, but might as well get the best one you can possibly get.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-16, 13:00   Link #64
remase2

cables and wires

i am about to start building my computer all the parts are here but, the connecting cables didn't not come they were oems. I need to know what connecting cables I need for a sata/3gbs harddrive and a ide dvd rom drive.
Old 2006-06-16, 13:15   Link #65
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Did the main board no come with cables? What cables you need will depend on what components you have; i.e. hard drive model, dvd drive model, main board make and model (aka "system board" or "mother board") you have.

At a guess I would say you want a SATA cable and an IDE cable. Note I just picked two products (that are probably what you want) as examples -- they might not be the best choice and they assume you don't have any special requirements.

You should first check that the cables didn't come with the main board -- they normally do. Then if you're sure you need to buy them, post some more technical information about the hard drive, dvd-drive and main board -- that way someone can help you find something that will less likely to be incompatible with the stuff you have already.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 09:16   Link #66
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

just take the computer to the shop. they will look and get u the right parts and probably install them free if its already open.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 19:14   Link #67
remase2

tool kit

I am building a computer.
i have a magnetic head star point screwdriver small and large. I want to know if these screwdrivers will damage the motherboard. I also want to know if it is better to just get a tool kit or if i can make do with my screwdrivers.
Old 2006-06-17, 19:37   Link #68
Farix

I wouldn't use a magnetically tip screwdriver on a computer. While it may be safe, why take the chance?
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 01:02   Link #69
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
A magnetic tipped screwdriver won't harm a modern PC. You'd have to get the thing pretty close to the platters of the drive to do anything to it.

You say "star point" which is confusing. The closest to a star I can think of are Torx bits, which are pretty much better in every way compared to the standard Phillips-head screwdriver (plus shaped slot.) Assuming you have the proper screws to use with them, they should be fine.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 01:30   Link #70
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by remase2
I am building a computer.
i have a magnetic head star point screwdriver small and large. I want to know if these screwdrivers will damage the motherboard. I also want to know if it is better to just get a tool kit or if i can make do with my screwdrivers.
Are you going to use after market torx screws when you build your computer? cuz you really don't need too. Most modern computers today use the standard phillips head screws. When you buy the computer parts the phillips head screws come standard with them.

I wouldn't use a magnetic screw driver when building a computer but I don't think it will hurt anything. What you should worry about is shorting out computer components from Static electricity. I would advise you to pick up an anti-static wrist band. You can get these for a few dollars at most computer stores or at your local Radio Shack. Good Luck!
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 15:28   Link #71
remase2

amd 64

i am going to install a amd 64 939 socket processor and the guide is saying i need to add heatsink paste, will artic silver 5 compound be good enough or do i need to use one that they recommended?
Old 2006-06-18, 15:51   Link #72
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

That one should be good (at least according to the stuff in newegg and pretty much everywhere you look). Just make sure you only put in a tiny bit and also, thermal paste is supposed to take a while to settle to work more efficiently.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 19:52   Link #73
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Dont apply more than about a peasize amount of thermal paste.
Dont worry about spreading it out, the weight of the heatsink being put into place will spread it out.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 23:03   Link #74
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
Dont apply more than about a peasize amount of thermal paste.
Dont worry about spreading it out, the weight of the heatsink being put into place will spread it out.
Bad advice. A pea-size is way too much of arctic silver.

The best way to apply arctic silver is to first take a tiny amount and rub it onto the surface of the heatsink with a lint-free cloth (or something, just not your finger), and I mean a tiny amount.

Then, take an equally small amount, place it on the core of the CPU, and spread it with a razor blade.

All thermal compound is supposed to do is fill in the microscopic gaps between the heatsink and the core created by surface irregularities. The directions that come with it are pretty much the same as what I've said here. The key is to use as little as humanly possible.
Old 2006-06-18, 23:34   Link #75
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

A dab in the center is fine for small cores like Athlon XP, but it's probably better if you spread it out yourself on chips with integrated heat spreaders like the 64s have. But you can still do the dab in the center with a 64 if you want.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-18, 23:56   Link #76
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

My X2 came with heat paste pre-applied to the stock cooler, so no trouble there... I haven't even bothered to switch it out yet.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 12:11   Link #77
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
I guess my advice is only useful if you have a heavy heatsink like mine.
*900 Grams of copper* The heavy Zalman 7700 can spread out the paste quite well with its weight. I just needed to spread it out a little to make sure the whole intergrated AMD64 heatsink was covered with thermal paste.

I was refering to putting thermal paste directly on the CPU not the heatsink. Then using the weight to spread out the Paste.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-06-20, 11:45   Link #78
remase2

building questions

Before installing the cpu, please comply with the following conditions:

please set cpu host frequency in accordance with the processor specifications.
i have a GA-K8N-SLI MOTHERBOARD with a AMD 64 939 SOCKET PROCESSOR.
I AM new to computer building and i don't know what this means or how to set it.

Also can i put the computer together piece by piece or does all have to be done on the same day. After installing the motherboard can i leave the computer case open and then go back to it.
Old 2006-06-20, 12:04   Link #79
Kurz

The motherboard will automaticaly set it up, if the BIOS is up to date.
Please state where you are getting this message. Is it from the manual?
If it is dont worry, just plug it in.
Dont force it in either, let it fall under its own weight. Then just close the clamp.
If you have any more questions, leave a line.

You can build it all in one day or spread out the time load.
Just make sure you close the case after you go out.
So no one can put their fingers and dirty up the componets.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-06-20, 12:08   Link #80
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As a note, can I ask you to stop creating new threads for what is effectively the same problem. It will actually help the people who answer your questions if they can see the history and the previous questions and answers if they are all contained in the same thread.

I'm merging some of your previous threads into the original thread you created when you started this project.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building computers