AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-11-17, 23:19   Link #221
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yeah, that Jeff guy is notorious for rating highly acclaimed games lower than the average. In the gaming community, essentially nobody likes him (as in, people browsing the web a lot, I mean)
which is why he gave OOT a 10 and WW a 9.3?
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 23:57   Link #222
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
which is why he gave OOT a 10 and WW a 9.3?

It doesn't apply for all his reviews, of course. But a lot of people on boards really don't like the guy. I haven't seen anybody say they do like him, even. He has a bad reputation as a reviewer. Looking at the review he did on TP alone, he says the controls feel tacked on, but several reviewers think otherwise. Maybe this review was all Jeff's honest opinion. But I don't really put any stock in his reviews. In general, I don't mind reviews much. I buy a game and play it if I want to. But seeing a game you like or a highly anticipated game you are looking forward to get good or great reviews is a nice thing; I say that because it holds importance for some gamers. Not all gamers, but a lot of them, for sure. I think the game looks great and a lot of reviewers think it is great, and 8.8 sure isn't a bad score. But nonetheless, I'm sure a lot of fanatical Nintendo fans are going apeshit over this. Like I said, this could be his honest opinion, and it is a good score, but I don't put any stock in his reviews. The game looks great to me and I'm going to play it and form my own opinion on it, like anyone should, but this Jeff guy just helped make his reputation worse in the gaming communities.
Old 2006-11-18, 00:20   Link #223
Lebron
I hear voices

Well for me he gained a few points when he reviewd Mario Sunshine. Now when he gave it an 8, I was one of those that was like WTF. Seeing how every other gaming site and Mag had praised it to high heavens. So when I actually got my hands on it and played it, I realized something. And that was the game did not live up to my Mario expectations and it deserved the 8 it got. Was really bummed on that one. Not just for being let down by Mr. Mario, but also since Jeff was right

However if they really read his TP review, he does make some good points on why he scored it an 8.8. Also doh, he does seem to contradict himself at times aswell. He should of really left out the spoilers though. That really bummed me out that he put some good ones in there.

But yea the guy has a hate club now for sure. Someone should of told him after the Mario fisasco. You don't piss off Nintendo fans. MS fans and Sony fans, have nothing on a pissed off Nintendo Fan. Hell the gamespot site even went down due to all the hits the sit was gettin, due to pissed off fans.
Some of his reviews are like wtf, but then others turn out to be just. Kind of a 50/50 with him for me

I for one, am not really feeling the whole Wii remote with Zelda. I'm more looking forward to playin the GC version in the coming weeks. Thats just me, not trying to steal anyone's Zelda Wii Thundar.

P.S. If you want a good laugh, you should head down to the Gamefaq forums to read their reactions. I swear they are all like 5mins away from going on a Jeff Hunt spree. Then once they catch him, tearing off his face and turning it into a Majora's Mask.
Old 2006-11-18, 00:31   Link #224
Dark`
The Terror of Death

I really don't know what the big deal is. Most of the people who care about the review are rabid fans who would get the game even if it scored a 5 out of 10. They're just pissed because it didn't get the uber 11/10 they were hoping for.

Honestly, a review is an opinion, you take it with a grain of salt. It's nice when a game you like gets a high score, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't. As some other people have said, it's a whole 0.7 below IGN! That's practically nothing.

Anyways... while some people seem to hate Jeff, I'm somewhat indifferent. I do find him, for the most part, amusing, especially on On The Spot. As for his review... I'd really have someone who's not a die-hard fan of Zelda, or even the Wii and its control scheme for that matter, to review the game, to an extent. Most people seem to think Jeff has something against the Wii (which he may very well have), but if you think about it that way he still have it an 8.8. That's a pretty good score to give a game on a system that someone may not love.

Well, that's my $0.02 on the matter. It's there whether you guys want it or not. I'd give more, but I need to save the rest of my money to spend on the Wii in about 34 hours from now.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 02:04   Link #225
Lebron
I hear voices

Soo some stores are breaking Wii's release street date. Some lucky fukers were able to pick some up today. Lucky B's
Old 2006-11-18, 09:10   Link #226
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Well ultimately it's a gimmick.
There's no range of motion you can do with your wrist that you can't simulate with a small thumbstick.
You can't do real 3D movements with the thumbstick.
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think the new Zelda looks all that great. Granted, if it beats TOOT, I'll be amazed, because TOOT is the pinnacle of game design to me.
Design, yes, but the story was almost non-existant, and the game world felt so empty. Anything but epic.
Quote:
And I'm not that keen on playing Zelda by swinging my arm around.
You don't have to!
Quote:
I played Majora's Mask, and I thought it as good, not great. The story wasn't as epic as TOOT. It seemed more like a side story than anything else.
That's because it IS a side story.
Quote:
And I just love how the whole thing closes up- no protecting case necessary. I doubt they would even have thought of that if not for dual screens.
GBA SP, anyone?
Quote:
Honestly, a review is an opinion, you take it with a grain of salt. It's nice when a game you like gets a high score, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.
Reviews should stop giving scores and make the people actually read the review.
Old 2006-11-18, 13:53   Link #227
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Triple axis motion and tilt is doable with a thumbstick and a few shoulder buttons anyways.

Erm, you think TOOT had a non-existant story and an empty game world...?

And I was talking about Majora's Mask as a side story in reaction to someone else.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 16:08   Link #228
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
woohoo! almost time! I bet all the nintendo fans can't read this anyway, cos your all too busy lining up.

well good luck!

Old 2006-11-18, 20:17   Link #229
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Reviews should stop giving scores and make the people actually read the review.
There's a great British magazine called 'Edge' that does exactly that. Fantastic read, too. I've not enjoyed a videogame magazine so much since the days of Ultra Gameplayers.

That said, the Gamespot review of Zelda wasn't bad, in fact he said it was very good. He just had some minor issues with the Wii controls, and was dissapointed that the game did not display much of an evolution over the past couple Zelda games.
Old 2006-11-18, 21:00   Link #230
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

With this Jeff guy, it is hit or miss. I don't really care for his reviews, as I said, but the SMS review was something I was close to agreeing to, as someone else mentioned. I'm betting the Zelda:TP will continue to garner great acclaim from many journalists and I think that game looks great, but the SMS score, as someone said; his score was more realistic. I like Super Mario Sunshine a lot, but a mid 8 score seems pretty realistic. Heh, I usually don't think of games in scores though, when I personally play them and really enjoy them. If I play a game and I really enjoy it, it is a very good game. If I love it, it is a great game. I couldn't imagine being a reviewer and trying to quantify my level of enjoyment and satisfaction on something.

One instance I disagreed with Jeff is his verdict on MGS 3. He gave it an 8.6. Really good score, yes, but I found MGS 3 to be what I think is the best installment in the series, one of the best PS2 games, and a AAA title. I remember many Sony people flipping out over Jeff with that review, too.

Also, if you are planning to pick up a Wii at launch and don't have a preorder, better go to a morning opening of a store early. I went to a Super Walmart, they had 28 units, and I was number 30 in line. I left, and then called a local Best Buy, which is getting 87 units, and I'm going to be there at between 4am to 5am to ensure I can buy one at 9am (the guy said they expect most people to show up around 8 to 9, and that arriving around 4 to 5 am is a safe bet of getting a console.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2006-11-18 at 21:13.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 22:22   Link #231
Lebron
I hear voices

Yeah Jeff has his hit and miss reviews alot. I just think its childish when people take his reviews to seriously and resort to the overweight jokes. Just isn't called for

With that out of the way, I got about another 10 hours before roommate and I are going to head down to Fry's Electronics to wait in line for the Wii. I swear he bought PS3 friday, and Wii this sunday. Soo much money spent this week. Ah the joys of winning big in texas holdum at our dorm poker tourny's. I'ma just freeload off all 3 systems for now

Can't wait to D/L OOT and play TP, to do compare and contrast. Alot of reviews are saying that TP is the best Zelda yet. So ima have to see for myself if that holds water. Been a while since I've run through OOT
Old 2006-11-19, 00:30   Link #232
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Yeah... I decided to come home from work instead of walking across the street and camping out tonight for the Wii. My local EB is opening up at 10 (instead of 11) tomorrow morning, but I'll have to bus there so I probably won't get there until like 8:40 or so... I hope there won't be too big a line-up by then. I got Zelda all locked up and paid for, but I missed the Wii pre-order deal. /sigh

So yeah, here's hoping. (Sucks that I might have to bus home with the system too, ugh...)
Old 2006-11-19, 00:39   Link #233
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Don't get shot.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 03:42   Link #234
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Missed the Torrance Toys R Us midnight launch by 30 people. I am sad. Now I'm going to Target to camp

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 09:36   Link #235
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I gots mine. But I have a killer headache which had caused it to remain in-box... for now.
Old 2006-11-19, 09:40   Link #236
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
omg, Im not in the US, but we are getting ours tomorrow. My brother and I are skipping classes the whole day and just playing the Wii, CANT WAIT TO BUY IT

Im camping out tomorrow, so I should get some pics soon :P
________
Nevada dispensaries

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:44.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 11:29   Link #237
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Argh... just got back from searching around the closest stores. I was in line at EB, but I didn't get there until probably 8:40 because I had to take the bus, and god knows that the launch day has to be a Sunday where buses start at 8 instead of 6. So I get there and there's a good number of people there, but I decide to wait around anyways. Long story short, about an hour later I find out I was #15... and the store only had 12 available units aside from pre-orders.

Went around to some other stores which were also sold out (obviously)... so I got home about 30 mins ago. I received a message from a friend on MSN... clicked on a link in the message and got a bunch of trojans on my computer. Oh, that and I only got like 5 hours of sleep last night and I have an 8.5 hour shift at work in about 2.5 hours. It's been a swell day! /sigh
Old 2006-11-19, 12:15   Link #238
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
sympathies. I guess even with the increase of stock, pre-orders acutally works.

well, im glad i bailed out of the EB/GAMES pre-order, at #127 fat chance i would of got one.

guess i'll wait for amazon.co.uk
Old 2006-11-19, 12:30   Link #239
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
There's a great British magazine called 'Edge' that does exactly that. Fantastic read, too. I've not enjoyed a videogame magazine so much since the days of Ultra Gameplayers.
No it doesn't. They give scores to all the games they review. I know that for a fact because on another forum I visit there's usually a huge thread on the latest issue which deals with their crap scoring of games or poor reviews they've written in the past etc...
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 12:41   Link #240
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Hmmm, poking at the Edge site I definitely see review scores. However, when paging through the magazine that was one of the things I noticed, was that there were no scores. Odd. Well, it will be several days before I return to work, where I will immeadiately hit the stash of videogame magazines to see if I'm completely oblivious, or...huh, well we'll see.

Tags
console, wii