AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ones do you like?
I like AMVs and hate MADs 3 9.38%
I like MADs and hate AMVs 7 21.88%
I like both 18 56.25%
I hate both 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-22, 22:01   Link #41
Kazu-kun

Some AMVs/MADs I like. I can see the Japanese are very adept to make OP mashups, so a lot of so called MADs that you may find on youtube are such videos. Western fans, on the other hand, seem to be fond of music videos. Still, I have seen OP mashups as good as the Japanese ones, as well as other kinds of anime videos (such as trailers, parodies, etc) made by western fans in other sites.

Old 2012-03-22, 22:20   Link #42
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well if we're looking for mashups here are two of my favorites

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-03-23, 06:30   Link #43
MartianMage

IMO the number of good MADs dwarf the number of good AMVs. Call me bias'd but it seems that the japanese are just better at this.

Edit: how do you ppl group vids anyway? Cause AFAIK AMVs and MADs are essentially the same... except the fact that MADs = made by Japanese.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 09:42   Link #44
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
IMO the number of good MADs dwarf the number of good AMVs. Call me bias'd but it seems that the japanese are just better at this.
I think you just need to look harder if you want to find good AMVs. I can agree there's a lot of shitty AMV out there, mostly on youtube. But that's because there's a lot of amateurs who like to edit simple AMVs. I can see than in Japan most the guys doing anime vids have some pretty sick compositing skills, but there are people like that here too.

Quote:
Edit: how do you ppl group vids anyway? Cause AFAIK AMVs and MADs are essentially the same... except the fact that MADs = made by Japanese.
Like you said, if it's made by Japanese I call it MAD, otherwise I call it AMV. Other than that I look into what kind of vid they are: mashups, trailers, music videos, parodies, etc.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:27   Link #45
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I am a sucker for MAD, because that's where I can find most of my Touhou fanvids. Otherwise I am very selective for my AMVs.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 03:23   Link #46
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I think you just need to look harder if you want to find good AMVs. I can agree there's a lot of shitty AMV out there, mostly on youtube. But that's because there's a lot of amateurs who like to edit simple AMVs. I can see than in Japan most the guys doing anime vids have some pretty sick compositing skills, but there are people like that here too.

Like you said, if it's made by Japanese I call it MAD, otherwise I call it AMV. Other than that I look into what kind of vid they are: mashups, trailers, music videos, parodies, etc.
Well the fact that you need to look harder drives my point home.

Anyway... have some good AMV

Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2012-03-24, 06:18   Link #47
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Well the fact that you need to look harder drives my point home.
What that means is you have to look past youtube because the good AMV makers don't post their vids on youtube.
Old 2012-03-24, 08:50   Link #48
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What that means is you have to look past youtube because the good AMV makers don't post their vids on youtube.
And you think good MAD makers post their vids on youtube? Same thing really.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:45   Link #49
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Here we are, trying to confuse ourselves with regards to language. Notice how we have different words for:
"mashups, trailers, music videos, parodies, etc."

And that's fine, and we should have different words for these different types of videos. But now, I have to wonder if there are different terms for all these things in Japanese. Oh wait, just convert them all to katakana.

Another thing. AMV makers who post their videos into Nico Nico. Many of 'em end up being labeled as MADs. So, what happens if you come across a MAD - and you like it -- then you find out that it turns out to be an AMV by "origin"? What then? Is it still a MAD, or does it go "back" to being an AMV?

Obviously, should it even matter?

FYI, that sort of BS happens with fanart. "Oh hey, nice anime drawing!" (Then later, the artist is found to be not Japanese, and all sorts of criticisms come out.)
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 16:58   Link #50
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And that's fine, and we should have different words for these different types of videos. But now, I have to wonder if there are different terms for all these things in Japanese. Oh wait, just convert them all to katakana.
Of course the Japanese have different terms for all that, and yeah, some of those terms are just katakana version of the English words. lol

Quote:
Another thing. AMV makers who post their videos into Nico Nico. Many of 'em end up being labeled as MADs. So, what happens if you come across a MAD - and you like it -- then you find out that it turns out to be an AMV by "origin"? What then? Is it still a MAD, or does it go "back" to being an AMV?

Obviously, should it even matter?
It really doesn't matter. I personally don't give a damn about that. My point is just that MAD is more or less the Japanese equivalent term to the western term AMV. That's all there is to it.
Old 2012-03-24, 18:30   Link #51
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
It really doesn't matter. I personally don't give a damn about that. My point is just that MAD is more or less the Japanese equivalent term to the western term AMV. That's all there is to it.
Agreed. And to add on to this point:

Just because two languages use two different terms for the same thing -- that doesn't mean that they're different. In English, there are plenty of synonyms, and there's nothing wrong with that. Even if you do try to separate one or the other, sheer quantity alone will render this as nonsense, because people will call some of these videos as one, the other, or both.

After all, once upon a time, there was OVA and OAV. One is Original Video Animation, the other, Original Animated Video. Are they different? No! Of course not! Eventually, OAV is dropped in favor of OVA.

For an even more ludicrous example:
In America, we drive "cars".
In Japan, they drive "kuruma" (車).
Does that make the 車 a Japanese version of the car?

I own a Toyota. So I didn't drive my 車, because I didn't feel like going out today.

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-03-24 at 18:55.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 22:13   Link #52
Makall

Whether MADs are different or whether they're the Japanese equivalent to AMVs doesn't matter.

What matters is that MADs are better. So if they're Japanese AMVs then Japanese AMVs are better than American ones. It is a matter of skill... and the average Japanese (Asian even) "video creator" is better than the average American.
Makall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 23:06   Link #53
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I think what really matters is the skill of the individual maker, NOT the nationality of said maker since that leads to pigeonholing and that leads to baiting and flaming which isn't allowed here.

Anyway, TVTropes has the best definition of either AMV or MAD: Fan Vid (which is good since it does put everything under one roof).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:23   Link #54
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I like both. Regardless of actual definition, from personal experience these are some general trends I see in them.

AMV: usually try to convey a story, focus on appealing to an emotion, more focus on lyrical sync
MAD: usually to promote or summarize an anime or theme, focus on editing, more focus on beat sync

So if you see the pattern, then it's sort of not hard to see why you see so many sucky AMVs. If you're trying to ship a pairing or make a character profile, chances are you're going to create a mood of romance, sadness, or anger, so what you make will be classified as an "AMV." It's not very surprising that many people who do this have no prior knowledge in video editing. But if you're trying to promote an anime, trying to make it shine and you know you don't have the skills to do so, then why would you do it? Most people who attempt to do so usually know what they're doing.

I like AMVs. I make music videos of anime, although I'm never sure if the result should be an AMV or MAD. What I can say is that 10% is a really good percentage. There must be thousands of AMVs out there, and if 10% of them are good, then that's quite a lot. I have about 40 AMVs that I really like saved, some more favorited on YouTube, and I really enjoy them.

This is my favorite AMV: Paper Image (ef - a tale of memories)
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:38   Link #55
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Not sure where AMVs try to convey a story or where MADs summarize/promote an anime or a theme. And like I said, if you only look for AMVs on youtube, you are going to get a bunch of shitty/crappy ones and almost no good ones (hint; good ones are usually removed for copyright violations.)

Most people making MADs have no idea what they are doing either. A lot are pretty terrible too, it's just that they don't get as nearly as much exposure. (Hint; don't look on YouTube...look on NicoNicoDouga instead )
Quote:
Agreed.
For an even more ludicrous example:
In America, we drive "cars".
In Japan, they drive "kuruma" (車).
Does that make the 車 a Japanese version of the car?

I own a Toyota. So I didn't drive my 車, because I didn't feel like going out today.
I owned a car once. It broke down at 112,000 miles. Now I drive a kurama, 200,000 miles and still going strong! Cars suck, kurumas are awesome!

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos

Last edited by speedyexpress48; 2012-03-25 at 00:50.
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:50   Link #56
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Easy. For most AMVs, its maker put the scenes together in a specific order depending on the lyrics of the music. For most MADs, its maker put the scenes together so that they match the beats of the music.
Old 2012-03-25, 03:56   Link #57
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Easy. For most AMVs, its maker put the scenes together in a specific order depending on the lyrics of the music. For most MADs, its maker put the scenes together so that they match the beats of the music.
I disagree. There's plenty of vids done with music without lyrics, which automatically would classify them as MAD going by your definitions here. Yet, some of these vids have participated in AMV contests and no one would even think of them as MADs...

Ultimately, it's as Kyuu said: MAD is just the "kuruma" to our "car". That's all.
Old 2012-03-25, 15:53   Link #58
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

There's really nothing to disagree about. I was making an observation after the classification has been done, and it's a generalization which means there will always be exceptions. I was not trying to "define" anything. Please read my original post. Ultimately, I also define them both as basically the same but gave general trends based on how they are usually classified.

Sigh.
Old 2012-03-25, 23:58   Link #59
Morisato

You guys wouldn't call football the American Rugby would you? Is Cricket just British Baseball? They might be similar but they're also different.

Likewise you wouldn't call American cartoons (like Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Spongebob) anime would you? I don't know about Japan (I hear they label anything drawn and animated as anime) but even they should recognize the distinction in style and direction.

What about American comics (Marvel, DC, etc.)? Yes, technically manga/manhua/manhwa are terms for "comics" in their respective countries but a distinction is still made. In the Americas anyways, manga and anime are marketed separately from cartoons and comics.

What about the Korean webtoons? They are still Korean "comics" but the format is quite different (less detail, coloured, online, long strip) so they have a different classification.

I mean really. Don't make stupid examples like "car" and "kuruma". I hate the weaboo stuff as much as anyone (using kawaii, baka, etc. in English) but these distinctions are necessary to classify the different types of media correctly.

As much as you want to localize the terms manga and anime in America... it's not going to happen. People need these classifications so they know what they're watching/buying.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 01:36   Link #60
MartianMage

I'd have to agree with Kholdstare... I mean sure there would be exceptions but majority of MADs out there value the "match the beats of the music" thing which IMO is usually better than trying to match the lyrics. Take this for example:

It's a pretty simple video really yet it's very good since the scenes not only make sense but also match the beats of the music.