AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-12-12, 21:27   Link #1
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Heroes

just wanted to get evryones openinon on the show. there are those who worship it like i do and those who don't like it as much.

what do you think? are you hooked?? it is over hyped??

IMO i think the show is great because it brings a great sense of watching a film when seeing the show. it helps that the show has a huge budget and looking at it from a media student(me) point of view it really is pushing the boundries of Tv.

the storyline may not be as good as some other shows(House, Weeds) but it more then makes up for it.

please use this thread to disscuss Episodes and peoples abilities.

do keep in mind people may not be where you are so use spoiler tags.

Last edited by kayote; 2008-12-15 at 15:34.
kayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 21:38   Link #2
james0246

I do think it is over-hyped (significantly so)...but since it is one of the few dramatic (if unrealistic) sci-fi shows currently being aired, I am hooked . (I'm such a sucker for any show with super-powers, etc...I even liked Journeyman from last year (though I never like Smallville ).)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 21:48   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, I'll say I'm hooked simply because its the only American TV, or the only show I watch outside Discovery Channel/Nat Geo/Animal Planet.

For hype, I think it deserves it, because it lives up to expectation without going overly confusing. People can understand its twisting plot quite easily and the show delivers quite well.

And yes it made really good use of its big budget, great visual results, I particularly love all the time stopping scenes, making Hiro my favourite Hero.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 21:51   Link #4
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I do think it is over-hyped (significantly so)...but since it is one of the few dramatic (if unrealistic) sci-fi shows currently being aired, I am hooked . (I'm such a sucker for any show with super-powers, etc...I even liked Journeyman from last year (though I never like Smallville ).)
i was sooo sad when they cancelled Journeyman. it was such a good show. apprently some of the reasons behind cancelling it was that people did not get it and that there is a film coming out soon called the 'Time traveller's Wife' which is similer to the main concept of the show.

i loved the music of the OP. it was very good.

though if people did not get it i have to say your IQ level is not that high. the show was progressing veery well IMO and it was bulding up. it was bassicly laying all the foundations and i though it would have a long life span.
Old 2008-12-12, 22:24   Link #5
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Heroes is the bomb, plain and simple.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 03:54   Link #6
Jaden

I like it, I almost never watch live action series but Heroes is an exception. Some characters are becoming inconsistent in the third season though.

And that 24-like thing of running too many parallel stories at once is compounded in Heroes and really gets out of hand sometimes. I wish they'd focus more on like, a single characters arc at a time. But I guess the way it's done, viewers get less confused about the timeline. You know where every character is at almost any given time if you follow closely enough, because they're shown in parallel.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 04:31   Link #7
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Not to sound hatin but I think it is over-hyped.

For a show that has heaps of people with super powers, why does it seem so dragged and boring?

I still cant get over the totally inconsistent and anti-climactic season 1 finale lol. You'd think the showdown between people with multiple powers would be more awesome than a mundane slug fest.

Idk, after reading the novel Rising Stars based on the same named comics (it starts off with a group of normal people suddenly gaining various super powers) it feels like nothing really happens I mean they do...but its so terribly slow.

Granted its a different medium but in Rising Stars to have actually normal people who get bestowed with super powers and to see how they all treat it very differently - yet cumulating into actual epic world changing events, I guess has set the standard much higher for me .

Though I thought their current ratings have been the lowest so far, and the creators/writers etc. are at a loss on how to get their viewers back...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 01:12   Link #8
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

^^^that is because they had there opening season. the 1st season lets you do things and all of it is new.

to me the appeal of heroes is that it is about the normal people as well as the ones with powers. also they are stepping into the Rising Stars area now with the surrent storyline. granted it's no one piece in terms of storyline where the foundation was layed in the 200 chapters and now we are reaping the benifits but, having a mega slugfest means they give you all the cards that they hold right from the get go.

now all the action sequences are bigger and as a reslut has more impact.

though i do agree it has lost it's charms that it had in the 1st season.
Old 2008-12-15, 09:49   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
HA HA 3 days ago I was having the exact plans to make a topic like this but after even typing it out I decided .. nah its going to fail but now yyou did it hooraaay~

as to what I like about the show, it is that fact that everyone is involved in some way. It isn't just a guy gets super powers and has a final hand to hand combat going on with another main villain it is the fact that all characters are merely human and experience their own problems. It doesn't need all funky action scenes with butt kicking etc. its cooler when you are sort of confussed about who the real eenmy is and when you have no clue on what happens next

darned I can't wait till its tommorow

Spoiler for wonderings about the next episode:
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 10:13   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are *elements* of the first series I liked a lot .... but it just seemed poorly integrated; by the halfpoint and to date, the storyline appears to thrash around as they try to pump up ratings rather than just tell a good story. Ending a story and staying ended is something our tv people just seem incapable of doing.

The "japanese arc" was my favorite though and not just because of the "japanese" ... the actors were entertaining (nerd genius bringing Takei into it) and the timejumping plot was a lot of fun. Kept thinking of "The Girl Who Leapt Thru Time"...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-15 at 14:54.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 12:30   Link #11
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
darned I can't wait till its tommorow

Spoiler for wonderings about the next episode:
Spoiler for episode 12:
Old 2008-12-15, 13:53   Link #12
james0246

I see two options to allow Arthur to Time-Travel:

Spoiler for minor spoilers:

There are a lot of questions concerning Arthur, but I doubt many of them will be answered.
Old 2008-12-15, 15:32   Link #13
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Spoiler for Arthur:
Old 2008-12-15, 16:37   Link #14
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Since everyone around me liked it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. For the first few episodes, it was nice and fresh. After 5 episodes, I still felt nothing happened. After 10 episodes, still nothing really happen. 10 episodes is already around 10 hours, and the story was still no where (I think it was around the middle of saving the cheerleader arc). Maybe I'm too used to 13 episodes anime series, I felt that it was too dragged out. I'm probally no where near hooked. It had a great start, the concept, the story, even the characters are actually quite good. It was just too DRAGGED out. People in my school keeps telling me it gets better, but if a show can't grab me after around 10 hours of watching it, it probally isn't for me (which techically is around the same time of 20 episodes of anime, which is almost the ending for a 26 episodes series). I like my shows to be fast pace, one reason why I liked Code Geass despite artistically it's not very good. Heroes was good, everything from it was very good, just too dragged out and slow, the huge cast didn't help either.

I liked Hiro's arc with Charlie at least

Last edited by musume_no_hoshi; 2008-12-17 at 16:43.
musume_no_hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 18:04   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
Since everyone around me liked it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. For the first few episodes, it was nice and fresh. After 5 episodes, I still felt nothing happened. After 10 episodes, still nothing really happen. 10 episodes is already around 10 hours, and the story was still no where (I think it was around the middle of saving the cheerleader arc). Maybe I'm too used to 13 episodes anime series, I felt that it was too dragged out. I'm probally no where near hooked. It had a great start, the concept, the story, even the characters are actually quite good. It was just too DRAGGED out. People in my school keeps telling me it gets better, but if a show can't grab me after around 10 hours of watching it, it probally isn't for me (which techically is around the same time of 20 episodes of anime, which is almost the ending for a 26 episodes). I like my shows to be face pace, one reason why I liked Code Geass despite artistically it's not very good. Heroes was good, everything from it was very good, just too dragged out and slow, the huge cast didn't help either.

I liked Hiro's arc with Charlie at least
You nail for me one of the prime things that drew me into anime: specific length series. They have a beginning, middle, and end. American television suffers from the need to cliffhang before every commercial break so you'll watch the commercials. Popular shows are afraid to actually have dramatic moments because it might change the formula that cause viewers to watch the commercials. Those that do set up idiot moments like "one of your favorite characters will die this week!!!! Stay tuned (thru the commercials).

The net effect is a rather choice demographic like me (I have stuff in my wallet they want) has turned the tv off. I *like* the way a lot of anime tells a complete story within a specific timeframe. And then they go find new stuff to do that with...
yeah, anime has its own set of problems - but I've just gotten tired of what they're frantically offer as more and more people are looking elsewhere.
Old 2008-12-15, 18:57   Link #16
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

although I love the show

"omg the future sux"

"ok, fixed now"

"omg the future sux in a diffrent way!"

"ok, fixed now"

"omfg the future sux in yet a diffrent way!"

"ok fixed now"

"omfg the future......"

This endless pattern is almost becoming a running gag.
Old 2008-12-15, 19:07   Link #17
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

A while ago Heroes used to be a part of my primetime veiwing, but I just lost all interest in the show a little into the second season. It became very boring in its pace and just overall lure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
American television suffers from the need to cliffhang before every commercial break so you'll watch the commercials. Popular shows are afraid to actually have dramatic moments because it might change the formula that cause viewers to watch the commercials. Those that do set up idiot moments like "one of your favorite characters will die this week!!!! Stay tuned (thru the commercials).
Well that has to do with the culture a lot combined with the fact that many people are easily drawn in that way. Oh and of course the advertising. Its something thats found commonly in american shows, but there are plenty of annoying ticks found in Anime shows as well so I still don't think you can judge a show based on the few minors, as every show has them. One of my favorite shows of all time, House, suffers from the cliffhanger norm, but I still love the show.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 19:36   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
Spoiler for Arthur:
Spoiler for minor spoilers...:

@Vexx and musume_no_hoshi; Heroes is one of the few shows clearly set-up with arcs having a begining, middle and end (of an arc). Not that this makes Heroes somehow "better" than other shows in America or outside of America, but it does make the show different from quite a few of the television programs currently being broadcast.
Old 2008-12-15, 19:51   Link #19
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

[QUOTE=james0246;2109939]
Spoiler for minor spoilers...:

Spoiler for future:
Old 2008-12-15, 21:03   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, don't think I think foreign works are somehow inherently *better* only that they have a different set of "problems". Its kind of like changing jobs. All jobs suck in some way. But its necessary to change the type of suckage you have to deal with periodically.

I'll usually sit down and watch "House" if I wander by it but mostly because of the interplay between the characters - not any particular crisis they're dealing with. I really like "Monk" .. but find I can only watch it once every few weeks or so. NCIS has some lovable characters... but they're having the "we've run out of plots so, um, lets have someone get arrested again" problem. Dexter was fun.... but essentially its a show with a fixed lifespan (despite their attempts to keep it alive).
None of the CSIs warrant my time. Even the original (with characters who aren't just cardboard) has run past its "best sold by" time.
I loathe the Law&Orders anymore ... they're just melodramatic anxiety pits and especially toxic on ratings weeks (e.g. lets have the crew watch a bunch of filmed rapes for 10 minutes; lets do another pedophile monster show; lets.... meh).
Heroes managed to tell a specific story in a fixed number of episodes; some of the arcs I liked, others made me roll my eyes -- I'd have probably been more charitable to it if they'd just left it "done".

I'll shut up now because people who like it should be able to carry on about it and I've already over-answered the OP's question.