AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-31, 07:41   Link #1601
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Spoiler for @Jan-Poo:

Spoiler for Things that must exist:

Spoiler for Ultimate result:

Spoiler for Battler and Maria:

Also, in episode 3,
Spoiler for the first twilight:
Old 2009-05-31, 08:33   Link #1602
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Old 2009-05-31, 08:45   Link #1603
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Spoiler for Identity of the 'Staker':
Spoiler for Nanjo's Murder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Spoiler for Killer Theories:
Spoiler for Epitaph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Spoiler for Things that must exist:
Spoiler for Storehouse Magic Circle:
Old 2009-05-31, 09:01   Link #1604
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-05-31 at 10:12.
Old 2009-05-31, 09:16   Link #1605
Chadauw

Spoiler for Kinzo's 'Alchemy Advisor' & the Gold:
Old 2009-05-31, 10:14   Link #1606
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Spoiler for Thoughts:

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-05-31, 10:30   Link #1607
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Side comment: When they're discussing the magic circle outside the storehouse, do they mention when it appeared? Does Kanon say anything like "It wasn't here yesterday when I was putting things back."?
Kanon specifically says that it wasn't there last time he checked and it was before it started raining. So it could have happened while Maria was left alone in the garden. It's notable that Maria says that circle isn't there for the purpose of the six bodies, but the bodies are there for the purpose of the circle. So maybe the circle was made first and the dead body were brought there later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers:
In this game all of these logic tricks are used improperly. The schroedinger cat and the devil's proof are no exception. The Hempel's raven is notorious logical fallacy, so it's not a valid argument, but in this game it can be used. The devil's proof is also not a valid argument from a scientific standpoint. Yes attorneys can make use of it, but since when attorneys use logical arguments?

The schroedinger's cat is an elaborate mental reconstruction to make someone think about the possibility that the apparently irrational behaviour of quantum physic could have an effect on the visible world. There are many flaws in this example, one for all: isn't a cat itself an observer?

Going more in detail about the hempel's raven. The flaw in Beatrice's logic is that she's talking about 19th person as if it was absolutely certain that there are 18 persons. What if there are 17 persons? Then Beatrice by demonstrating there isn't a 19th person wants to make Battler believe that there is not an unknown "x" person that did the killings. But that's wrong, there could be a 18th person that isn't someone Battler knows.
The Hempel's raven fallacy lies exactly in the context.

Old 2009-05-31, 10:49   Link #1608
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I see your point. It would seem not as an argument of sheer validity as it is an argument in an attempt to keep the argument standing. Right now it's actually coming out as pretty obvious that the logical arguments Battler and Beatrice are using are being used only to keep their sides going on and not conceding, rather than as valid statements to destroy the argument of the other side.

Upon further inspection, I sort of see this as intentional on the part of the characters rather than an oversight on Ryukishi's plot direction. When you think about it, both sides are somewhat desperate, Battler a little more so, that it's almost perfectly possible for them to hold on to flimsy logical arguments and counterarguments to keep their debate going.

And I'm not seeing the cat in the box as of yet, but I'm still probably just 1/3 of the ways in. That cat was a thought experiment to symbolize Quantum Mechanics assertion of two possible states existing at the same outside an observers field before wave function collapse, and as a simile to Umineko I don't think I'm quite following you yet.
Old 2009-05-31, 10:56   Link #1609
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
That cat was a thought experiment to symbolize Quantum Mechanics assertion of two possible states existing at the same outside an observers field before wave function collapse, and as a simile to Umineko I don't think I'm quite following you yet.
yes your wording is better than mine XD
But don't forget the point is that while the wave function collapse is widely accepted, the idea of a cat both alive and death is absolutely preposterous. This thought experiment became famous because it either challenged our common sense or the quantum theories.

Quote:
the logical arguments Battler and Beatrice are using are being used only to keep their sides going on and not conceding, rather than as valid statements to destroy the argument of the other side.
Absolutely correct. They are not limited to valid arguments, any argument is okay as long as it's accepted by the rules. It is clear when Beatrice angrily states that what Battler says make no sense but Ronove promptly affirms: "The hempel raven is valid!"

If strict logic should be followed then Battler would have lost already, because he's fighting against a witch in a meta world and he's been killed and resurrected several times already.
Notice how in episode 1 he says: "show me a witch and I'll believe". But then the witch shows up he still doesn't believe.

Old 2009-05-31, 11:04   Link #1610
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

That's because if, Bern is to be believed (believe a witch to prove a witch false ), Beatrice is not really a person herself, but the personification of the rules of that world.
Old 2009-05-31, 11:05   Link #1611
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

And by correlation, with the assumption that almost the majority of the logical arguments put forth by both sides have heavily questioned logical validities, it almost forces me to delete my Current Theories text file and redo every murder theory I have already made.

This leads me to one conclusion: I need 4 big fawking shot of Vodka goddammit.
Old 2009-05-31, 11:08   Link #1612
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I have a feeling that episode4 will cause you an even bigger headache.
You know what's the problem here?

Ryukishi writes an episode every 6 months then his fans start discussing them and make speculations and all. Ryukishi watches them! He reads their discussions, he sees what are the most popular theories. And so when he writes the next story he makes sure to utterly destroy them.

Old 2009-05-31, 11:24   Link #1613
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Because... because Ryukishi is secretly a witch!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
Old 2009-05-31, 11:35   Link #1614
rogerpepitone

Israel Zangwill said he wrote The Big Bow Mystery in such a way as to contradict every submitted hypothesis, until there was only one left, but nobody believes him.
Old 2009-05-31, 11:40   Link #1615
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I have a feeling that episode4 will cause you an even bigger headache.
You know what's the problem here?

Ryukishi writes an episode every 6 months then his fans start discussing them and make speculations and all. Ryukishi watches them! He reads their discussions, he sees what are the most popular theories. And so when he writes the next story he makes sure to utterly destroy them.
And in doing so, he guarantees it's possible to solve the mystery (assuming, anyway, that he intends for there to be a solution at all).

Spoiler for Why Red Text is Good:

Spoiler for The Logical Stuff:

Of course, I already have solved the mystery beyond any shadow of a doubt, but it would simply blow everyone's mind.

In a completely unrelated manner, I wonder if we'll ever see some deeper flashbacks to around 1950, or even earlier perhaps. I really want to learn more about Kinzo, Genji, Nanjo and Kumasawa, and their collective secrets seem to lie well in the past. Not because I think it will provide answers (though it might), I just like those characters.
Old 2009-05-31, 11:59   Link #1616
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Of course, I already have solved the mystery beyond any shadow of a doubt, but it would simply blow everyone's mind.
Wow you sure are confident

Old 2009-05-31, 12:00   Link #1617
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Wow you sure are confident
Well since you've forced my hand:
Spoiler for This Definitely Solves All of Umineko!:

Think about it first and watch the revelations unravel all you have ever imagined!
Old 2009-05-31, 12:02   Link #1618
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

This completely blows the theory I and Izmo developed about the culprits being mutant mackerels...

Old 2009-05-31, 12:08   Link #1619
rogerpepitone

Spoiler for That thing that bugs Renall:

As for Renall's other comment, have you ever read The Poisoned Chocolates Case?
Old 2009-05-31, 12:23   Link #1620
megabacon

Spoiler for Nanjo's death:

Spoiler for George's death:

Spoiler for Krauss and Natsuhi's death:
Closed Thread