AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-06-18, 16:06   Link #1541
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nih View Post
The red text does prevent Rosa from opening the envelope before the morning of October 5th. It was stated that Rosa opened it "this morning" and that from the time Maria recieved it until it was opened it did not pass through anyone's hands. That includes Rosa.
Something you're missing there. It wasn't stated that when Rosa opened the envelope in the morning to get the key that it was the first time she'd opened it. If she opened it after midnight, used it to lock the chapel, returned it to the envelope, and opened it again in the morning to retrieve the key, that wouldn't conflict with any red text.

Quote:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any red text that explicitly stated the letter was opened "the next day".
"Starting when Maria's key was received, and until the instant Rosa unsealed it the next day, it passed through no one's hands."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
There is no red text that states when the first twilight happened. It could have happened on the 4 october before midnight.

As for waking up the children it's not like your theory is different you still need to imagine someone going inside the cousin's room when they are sleeping.
True enough that we don't have red text about when the first twilight happened, but we do know that the kids stayed up late into the night talking, so it still shouldn't have been possible for someone to deliver a second letter to Maria before midnight but after the first twilight without them knowing.

I don't think sneaking into the room to steal the letter from Maria's handbag can really be considered as difficult to do without waking the cousins as waking up Maria to deliver the letter to her, but I suppose I can let that one go.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 17:45   Link #1542
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Isn't there a loophole with "Starting when Maria's key was received, and until the instant Rosa unsealed it the next day, it passed through no one's hands."? Because this does not note the moment in which it was unsealed, couldn't it possibly be unsealed, modified and then resealed?

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 17:48   Link #1543
Kitsu
The unlucky one

"Starting when Maria's key was received, and until the instant Rosa unsealed it the next day, it passed through no one's hands."
No matter how I look at it....it could always be that Rosa opened it before the time with Battler. No prove she didn't
Old 2009-06-18, 18:54   Link #1544
Nih

Hmm... I don't know. If Maria recieved the genuine envelope and stayed with the cousins on the eve of the first twilight, that would imply Rosa stole it from her bag beforehand to open/close the chapel, no? If we assume Maria didn't know, that means Rosa risked Maria discovering the missing envelope on that eve. If she went that far already, why would she bother resealing the envelope later until morning to open it herself? Likewise, if Maria did know, it still makes no sense for her to reseal it.
Nih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 19:26   Link #1545
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

There's no red to disregard a fake letter that Rosa could've switched it out for.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-06-18, 19:30   Link #1546
Nih

Elaborate please. Do you mean to say that Rosa gave Maria a genuine envelope on that day, then during the eve of that day switched it out for a fake one, then again switched it out later? That makes no sense either, why not just give her a fake envelope in the first place?
Nih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 19:37   Link #1547
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

I'm not saying that Rosa gave her the letter, instead she switched the real one out for a fake one and then returned it.

But its highly unlikely. It would only be possible if she knew the key was in the letter. Without having the "Beatrice" as an accomplice.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-06-18, 21:10   Link #1548
hodil
Solve me...

Maria's key = fake?

Could it be that Rosa had the chapel key with her all along, like when she stepped foot on Rokkenjima she went to steal the chapel key and placed a fake key there.

Beatrice then went to steal the fake key and placed it in Maria's envelope. She thought that it was the real key. She wanted to conduct the first twilight, however, Rosa already did it for her.

...?
Beatrice just got outwitted.
Beatrice is incompetant.
Old 2009-06-18, 21:51   Link #1549
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

If Rosa obtained the chapel key by taking out the envelope, then she didn't have it originally.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 22:04   Link #1550
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Hookay, I just had an idea about the theory I proposed earlier (Beatrice actually believes she's a witch).

Spoiler for End of the episode:
Old 2009-06-18, 22:17   Link #1551
Marion
The Great Dine

Spoiler for Response to theory, EP 4 spoilers:
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 02:13   Link #1552
Ikth7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hareoic View Post
Hookay, I just had an idea about the theory I proposed earlier (Beatrice actually believes she's a witch).

Spoiler for End of the episode:
I used to think the 'furniture isn't human' arguement was good, but at one point Beatrice says something in red that denied that possibility partially. She doesn't seem to consider them 'human' but she does seem to consider them 'people'. At one point she says something like 'X people died.' and then follows with a list of names in red that include 'furniture'. So if she says people in red we can be sure she means the funiture as well, but if she says human in red, we might want to take a second look.
Ikth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 06:08   Link #1553
Valentine

Quote:
Hmm... I don't know. If Maria recieved the genuine envelope and stayed with the cousins on the eve of the first twilight, that would imply Rosa stole it from her bag beforehand to open/close the chapel, no?
I don't think so. From the time it was received, it couldn't be unsealed until the next day, and it didn't pass through anyone else's hands until it was unsealed, so whenever she received it, Maria must have had it after that until midnight at least. After midnight it could be unsealed by Rosa at any time, but she would have had to steal it from Maria's handbag while she slept, and later return it the same way.
So, either the chapel was already open when the key was placed in the envelope, or they didn't move to the chapel until long after midnight when the cousins were asleep.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 07:06   Link #1554
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Under that hypothesis, Rosa only had to make one secret trip to the cousins' room. She pretended to remove the key the next day when she fetched it at ~6:30 AM the next day.

(She didn't notice the words "Happy Halloween for Maria" the previous night. When she saw them by daylight, she was afraid somebody would connect the envelope to the chapel key.)

Spoiler for Accuracy of scenes:
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 08:17   Link #1555
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Sorry to ask this but. .
Quote:
Where can I find this quote ? ^^; EP 2, 3 or 4 ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 08:21   Link #1556
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Edit - Oops wrong reply.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-06-19 at 09:22.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 08:34   Link #1557
rogerpepitone

Spoiler for One reason why George might have left the house in ep. 3:
Old 2009-06-19, 08:48   Link #1558
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Sorry to ask this but. .

Where can I find this quote ? ^^; EP 2, 3 or 4 ?
It's episode4 Tea party.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 10:58   Link #1559
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Spoiler for Questions about George:
For #3: Why can't someone have noticed the window open, figured it was a mistake, and closed and locked it without telling Battler? Nanjo could've done it accidentally and never mentioned it. If nobody knew George was going to leave through a window, they wouldn't suspect much.

I've said before that I think Nanjo is the staker. Now I'm not totally sure, though I think he very likely is a staker. But I have an unusual theory for another candidate:

Shannon. Also she might be the fake "Beatrice" whom Maria trusts. Or one of them. She may or may not also be the ritual symbol maker. She has a lot of stuff she could be, though I don't know what if anything she is. Food for thought:

There are a lot of curious things about her in each episode. In ep1, she could have faked her death (unidentified corpses were guaranteed, but her corpse was identified). She could therefore still be alive. That lets her do basically anything. Most notably, "Beatrice" appears to Maria in the twilight with Nanjo/Kumasawa/Genji and assures her cooperation and silence. I think a woman would have to do this, and there aren't many options available at that point in ep1. Likewise, "Beatrice" appears at the end, though she's never identified. Shannon as a faked death and/or working with faked-death Krauss seems probable here. All three magic symbols appear in this one.

Episode 2, I don't think Shannon is doing much killing, though she might be doing stakings. "Beatrice" appears several times and is noticed by Kyrie, Genji, etc. But she could be Shannon (or Jessica maybe?). If the whole "someone really was planning a Halloween party for Maria" thing is accurate, it could've just been an innocent thing. Then Rosa (probably) killed people and things started going to hell. I'm pretty suspicious of Genji and Rosa here, but it's possible someone else was also killing, and somebody was also staking and drawing symbols. However, they only drew the two, not the last one; Shannon died before the last one would've appeared.

Episode 3, Shannon dies in the First Twilight. No Beatrice appears (she's "replaced" by Eva-Beatrice). No magic symbols appear except the first ones on the doors, which may not be the correct way to use them. Maybe they were already prepared, or maybe someone else did them (the "second staker" Nanjo or something?). People are still staked however, which injures Shannon-as-staker unless there's two.

Episode 4, we don't really know when Shannon dies, but there are stakes (used incorrectly) and two stakes are found near Shannon and Nanjo at the well. Odd that both my suspects for staker would be together. But I can't really assert what Shannon would've been doing, if she was the one who appeared to Battler, etc.

It's possible, dumb as it sounds, that there's a "Beatrice costume" and this is part of what Battler saw at the end of ep2 (along with Kinzo's unburned corpse).

I'm still thinking Nanjo is the staker, but the fact that he ends up staked a lot means either his killer is staking him to cover it up or there's two stakers. But I assume there's just one set of stakes, so if there's multiple stakers, they know each other somehow...
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 11:08   Link #1560
rogerpepitone

If somebody did innocently close and lock the window, why didn't he/she just say so?