AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-06-26, 01:54   Link #1861
Marion
The Great Dine

Spoiler for Response to Christen:
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 03:11   Link #1862
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Spoiler for Towards Kanon Theory and 'On the island':
chounokoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 03:28   Link #1863
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
It's possible that Kanon simply didn't die there and then went into the forest and maybe got attacked by a wild animal possibly (I know accident was denied and so was trap, but were animals excluded as well?)
They were excluded by red text in EP3, but you could take it to mean that animals were excluded only for EP3 itself.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 06:37   Link #1864
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
It's possible that Kanon simply didn't die there and then went into the forest and maybe got attacked by a wild animal possibly (I know accident was denied and so was trap, but were animals excluded as well?)
I don't think traps were actually denied for episode 1 Kanon either, though Lambda made fun of Battler trying to explain practically everything else with traps. While it's possible though, I kind of don't like the trap idea for a different reason - the culprit seems to be going to an awful lot of trouble to make it look like the work of a witch, and a stake-launching trap would surely look like the work of a human if there had been a second person in the room to see it, or even if Kanon had been conscious long enough to tell anyone what happened.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 07:33   Link #1865
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I found a point regarding that quite interesting, namely that Shanon's existence was never doubtet. Considering several scenes that were witnessed it is quite impossible for them to be the SAME person, but they could be able to switch places.
There is not a single scene in four episodes where Battler sees both Shannon and Kanon at the same time. You can't trust anyone else since there's also a list of people that witnessed Kinzo.
I'm not saying that this prove anything, I'm just saying that you can't use this argument to deny the Shannon=Kanon theory, because that very argument has been destroyed in Ep4.
However Ep4 also introduced a red truth that denies the theory and the only way to get around it is to make far-fetched theories about possible interpretations of the red truths. Yet when we see the word "magic" used in a red truth, or statements like "names are not exclusive", the certainty on the red truths becomes fuzzy.

I mean, you can explain that Beatrice could use "magic" in a red truth because "magic" is a metaphorical term for something else. But if such use is allowed, why Battler couldn't say that he's Asumu's son, although the term "son" is not necessarily bound to genetic?

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-06-26 at 07:50.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 08:06   Link #1866
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I mean, you can explain that Beatrice could use "magic" in a red truth because "magic" is a metaphorical term for something else. But if such use is allowed, why Battler couldn't say that he's Asumu's son, although the term "son" is not necessarily bound to genetic?
The thing he tried and failed to say was "I was born from Ushiromiya Asumu" though, which can't really be interpreted metaphorically. He was never specifically unable to say "I am Ushiromiya Asumu's son", though Beatrice did specifically say "You are not Ushiromiya Asumu's son".
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 08:22   Link #1867
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

He didn't say "I am Ushiromiya Asumu's son", he said "Ushiromiya Battler is Ushiromiya Asumu's son".
Old 2009-06-26, 09:02   Link #1868
hodil
Solve me...

Pertinent to Kanon's death in the first episode. It seemed pretty obvious that the culprit was present in the boiler room right? Battler saw the back door of the boiler room open. The culprit "Most Probably" escaped from the back door right?

Im asking alot of "rights"... because knowing Ryukishi... "An opened door" most probably = The culprit did not leave from there.
Old 2009-06-26, 10:26   Link #1869
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

O... k....

Now that Meta Battler got himself erased, the game stops and we get thrown back to Ange on the present day, my mind is once again fried.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 11:23   Link #1870
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
O... k....

Now that Meta Battler got himself erased, the game stops and we get thrown back to Ange on the present day, my mind is once again fried.
Have fun with the next chapter. It's going to take forever and it's really depressing until near the ending |D;
Old 2009-06-26, 11:51   Link #1871
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Spoiler for Towards Kanon Theory and 'On the island':
The plain meaning of "Rokkenjima" would surely include the island, its immediate environs, any structures on it (the mansion, guesthouse, chapel, Kuwadorian, and any others known or unknown), any underground structures (such as the tunnels), and probably even the airspace immediately above it. To argue otherwise is such a lame semantic trick that it completely defeats the purpose. You might as well make the argument that there's a Person X on the island who never heard that Rokkenjima's name was changed from the name it previously had, and so to that person he isn't on "Rokkenjima." If you're able to do that, then you can prove anything. That clearly isn't the intent (or if it is, it's terrible writing).

Here's a thought on ep3's First Twilight: Who is capable of doing it?

The victims presumably are not. Even if some of them participated in the murders of others, somebody had to finish them all off. Whoever did that can be said to be "the killer" in this case, even if he or she didn't do it all (and we know they didn't kill Kinzo directly in the same manner anyway). So that rules out Kinzo and all the servants as "the killer." We're down to 12 people.

The cousins presumably are not. Battler was with them. Admittedly they're asleep, but it still seems like quite a stretch. That's Battler, George, Maria and Jessica (or actually where does Jessica sleep?), leaving us with 8.

The family conference continued until dawn. If one of the siblings or their spouses had left the conference for an extended period of time, one of them would have commented on that absence the next morning when the bodies were discovered. No one said any such thing, which suggests each is capable of confirming the roughly continuous presence of the others. That's Krauss, Natsuhi, Eva, Hideyoshi, Kyrie, Rudolf, and Rosa. Seven people.

If you eliminate 17 out of 18 suspects, and no one else is present on the island, there is only one person left. Dr. Nanjo is unaccounted for and could easily have engaged in the killings and arrangement of the closed room chain. Indeed, barring some unusual evidence he's basically the only one who could have done it. But here's where it gets odd:

The killings with clean shots seem to come from the Winchester rifles or similar weapons. While we can't disprove (devil's proof) the existence of weapons which can do similar damage, we do know that the Winchesters do exist, and the damage they are seemingly able to cause. Yet when the siblings retrieved the guns the next morning, they didn't seem to react as though any of them were missing! So either Dr. Nanjo (or the FT killer) has a gun which is not one of the Winchesters in Kinzo's collection, or a Winchester from the collection was used and then PUT BACK where it belonged!

Why is that relevant? It suggests motive: Someone intended to "kill" Kinzo and his servants, but no one else.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 12:06   Link #1872
Nih

An interesting observation. Well, assuming that noone else is present on the island, that could still imply that Nanjo is in league with one of the adults. But then you'd have to ask why were all of the servants in different locations? I have a feeling at least some of them were carried to their rooms. Could Nanjo do it alone?

P.S. Then again, I suppose it's also possible for him to just ask them to follow him wherever. Wonder what he could have told them heh.

Last edited by Nih; 2009-06-26 at 12:22.
Nih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 12:31   Link #1873
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
The cousins presumably are not. Battler was with them. Admittedly they're asleep, but it still seems like quite a stretch. That's Battler, George, Maria and Jessica (or actually where does Jessica sleep?), leaving us with 8.
In Episode1 it is said that four rooms in the Guesthouse were prepared:

one for Hideyoshi and Eva
one for Rudolf and Kyrie
one for George and Battler
one for Rosa and Maria

However George and Battler's room is bigger than the others and 4 beds are prepared. In Episode2 the servants are shown discussing the preparations and they talk about Jessica asking to prepare a room for all the cousins, Genji says that "there's no need to tell Madam". So it was Jessica's idea.

From what we are shown in the various Episodes it appears that the four cousins always end up sleeping together in the "cousins's room".

Old 2009-06-26, 12:51   Link #1874
Nih

Thinking more about it, there's also this interesting red bit.

Genji, Kumasawa, and Nanjo are not murderers.

Wonder if that applies to all games
Old 2009-06-26, 12:57   Link #1875
Marion
The Great Dine

Nanjo also has his own room in the guest house as well, but I'm sure it's more of a personal room. He's been coming on the island for the last 30+ years I believe so he probably got his own room in the guest house since he comes over so much.
Old 2009-06-26, 12:57   Link #1876
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Genji still seem to be strong enough, but I really can't see Kumasawa and Nanjo being able to move corpses. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, however it looks like Ryukishi decided to remove suspicion on the people who are less likely to be involved in the murders because of their age.

Old 2009-06-26, 13:08   Link #1877
Nih

Guess I'll turn myself into a hypocrite for fun and suggest that Gohda or Genji were helping Nanjo with the killings at which point he got rid of the last servant himself
Old 2009-06-26, 13:14   Link #1878
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

How does he do that if he's not a murderer?
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 13:17   Link #1879
Nih

That's part of hypocricy
Old 2009-06-26, 13:17   Link #1880
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The interesting part is that Beatrice said

-Kinzo, Genji, Shannon, Kanon, Gohda, and Kumasawa, 6 people in total are dead!
-Six people were killed instantly

Does that mean Kinzo was murdered? If not, who is this sixth person that got killed?

Anyway going back to Renall's analisy it is really difficult to imagine who could have performed the first twilight. The adults are innocent unless they are all accomplices, it's nearly impossible that one or two of them performed that intricate murder without causing suspicion.
The servants are innocent unless they were all plotting together this charade and they killed each other (they must be fanatics...) that would still leave the last one that must have been killed by another person.
As for the cousins Battler is not the killer nor an accomplice (stated in red), Maria can't possibly kill anyone (logically speaking... but we know Higurashi has a few loli killers... and venom could still work for her... what wouldn't work is moving the corpses and causing those wounds), that would leave George and Jessica.
There is then Nanjo, but it's very unlikely he is a murderer for many reasons.
Last: the killer is an X person (a very circonvoluted theory is needed to explain this)

animals, robots, aliens and such are denied for this game.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-06-26 at 13:34.