AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-06-27, 02:50   Link #1921
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I could see Nanjo as having told everyone about the tunnel, with the group running away from the culprit who was (while we're talking hypothetically) armed with some powerful gun. The tunnel may have a switch inside that opens and closes it.

To mix in another theory, the person with the gun may have been Kanon #2 (the possible twin being mentioned earlier), with the real Kanon already being dead, thus fulfilling the "first to die" criterion.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 05:27   Link #1922
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Anybody think June 17, 1986 is a significant date? I just found it in the photo in the opening.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 07:14   Link #1923
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
I could see Nanjo as having told everyone about the tunnel, with the group running away from the culprit who was (while we're talking hypothetically) armed with some powerful gun. The tunnel may have a switch inside that opens and closes it.

To mix in another theory, the person with the gun may have been Kanon #2 (the possible twin being mentioned earlier), with the real Kanon already being dead, thus fulfilling the "first to die" criterion.
Not really because it's actually:

Among the five people in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die.
In short, he was the 9th victim

He couldn't be the 9th victim if he died before everyone else and he couldn't be in Kyrie's group either.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 08:52   Link #1924
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Nanjo mentions a better entrance in the magic scene, but doesn't elaborate. It's possible he knew that for whatever reason getting to the tunnel by ordinary means wouldn't work, so he suggested heading for the well which was another entrance.

Likely, the well wasn't covered back in the day, but it had been between the time Nanjo first learned of it and the 4th. Of course that leads to the question of who sealed it and why. Perhaps Kinzo had it covered up after the human Beatrice died? Perhaps it was sealed so that only solving the epitaph would get you down into the tunnels? Or maybe Krauss had it covered up without really checking on it.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 09:47   Link #1925
maximilianjenus
[E]

I think the well was only used as ventilation for the tunel.

My bet is that they never got to kuwadorian, and all the talk about being imprisoned was a lie and in fact they never left the mansion, as the apparent timing of events rules going to kuwadorian out.

One thing on batora's sin, from what I understood Beatrice gets pissed off because the current batler-batora does not remember the sin, which is what makes her suspect batora's identity as not being asumu's son. now that means, for me, that batora did not actually sin though beatrice's red text points out to the contrary, as she says "your sin". That's what confuses me a bit, also since batler remembers going to these he must have been the one who comited the sin, so why would beatrice doubt his identity to the point of actually being right on batler not being asumu's son ? Yet batler was educated by asumu as or the lvoe she felt for her must have been real, with the whole leaving the ushiromiya's events.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 10:05   Link #1926
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I wouldn't bet my money on that. Something like 2 billions of yen are stored in a central bank to pay relatives of the dead people, and they don't know anything about that.
Technically, we've only seen proof of 100 million present and 3 safe deposit boxes used for paying relatives of the deceased. Just because someone has an account with twenty safe deposit boxes doesn't mean they're paying off twenty people - they might be using the others for something else. As well, just because Nanjo's son was getting 100 million doesn't mean everyone else had to have been getting the same either. Nanjo seems to be a possible suspect to have carried out the first twilight murders. If he was getting paid to do that, the money sent to his relatives might have been significantly higher than that sent to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
One thing on batora's sin, from what I understood Beatrice gets pissed off because the current batler-batora does not remember the sin, which is what makes her suspect batora's identity as not being asumu's son. now that means, for me, that batora did not actually sin though beatrice's red text points out to the contrary, as she says "your sin". That's what confuses me a bit, also since batler remembers going to these he must have been the one who comited the sin, so why would beatrice doubt his identity to the point of actually being right on batler not being asumu's son ? Yet batler was educated by asumu as or the lvoe she felt for her must have been real, with the whole leaving the ushiromiya's events.
I never got the impression that she really believed it herself. Something about what Battler said annoyed her, she suddenly became tired of the game, and she set out to free herself from it by removing Battler as her opponent. The careful way she led Battler in what to say seems clear evidence that she knew exactly what Battler would and would not be able to say on the subject, certainly enough that she shouldn't have had any illusions about Battler not really being the person of six years ago.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 10:24   Link #1927
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
I never got the impression that she really believed it herself. Something about what Battler said annoyed her, she suddenly became tired of the game, and she set out to free herself from it by removing Battler as her opponent. The careful way she led Battler in what to say seems clear evidence that she knew exactly what Battler would and would not be able to say on the subject, certainly enough that she shouldn't have had any illusions about Battler not really being the person of six years ago.
Actually I think it is a special case here. I don't think Beato has lied about Battler's sins just because she became bored of the game and wanted to free herself. If it is worth believing, the scene where the questioning Beato became so disappointed at Battler's inability to remember his sin and then switched with another Beato to take her place at tying things up is an indication that it may not be a lie. I actually think that the first Beato to question him is in fact the real culprit whilst the second Beato is meta-Beatrice. Not sure how this will fit within an anti-fantasy explanation though. Split personality perhaps?

Now it would be interesting if "Beatrice" is the alter ego of the culprit.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 10:57   Link #1928
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Technically, we've only seen proof of 100 million present and 3 safe deposit boxes used for paying relatives of the deceased. Just because someone has an account with twenty safe deposit boxes doesn't mean they're paying off twenty people - they might be using the others for something else. As well, just because Nanjo's son was getting 100 million doesn't mean everyone else had to have been getting the same either. Nanjo seems to be a possible suspect to have carried out the first twilight murders. If he was getting paid to do that, the money sent to his relatives might have been significantly higher than that sent to anyone else.
However Nanjo died in all the episodes, and his dead is confirmed as a murder in Ep3. It is safe to assume that the killer planned to kill him since the beginning, that is also supported by the fact the witch's messages always tell stories where everyone die. There is really no point in paying Nanjo at all even if he was an accomplice.
Considering all that it's very unlikely that the other safes should be any different.

Old 2009-06-27, 11:04   Link #1929
maximilianjenus
[E]

Everybody dies. the theory of the boiler room being tricked to everybody dies in the family conference regardless of the twilights is the one I am more inclined to believe. In episode 3 everything goes wrong and eva survives because she is in kuwadorian.

I am also curious about maria's letters, as A) they were written by beatrice and B) they talk about the previous Episodes, which means beatrice is someone who remember how the twilights were carried, or maybe even, who has a plan on how to carry them.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 11:30   Link #1930
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Actually I think it is a special case here. I don't think Beato has lied about Battler's sins just because she became bored of the game and wanted to free herself.
I was talking about whether or not she really believed Battler wasn't Kinzo's grandson when she was getting him to repeat the lines about Asumu. Battler not knowing what she was talking about with the sin was just the reason she tried to mislead him about not being related to Kinzo. I don't think she was lying about the sin, whatever it might be.

Quote:
However Nanjo died in all the episodes, and his dead is confirmed as a murder in Ep3. It is safe to assume that the killer planned to kill him since the beginning, that is also supported by the fact the witch's messages always tell stories where everyone die. There is really no point in paying Nanjo at all even if he was an accomplice.
Considering all that it's very unlikely that the other safes should be any different.
My own suspicion is that Nanjo was killed by George in episode 3, and there are several other possibilities not stated dead at the time in red - Hideyoshi, Rudolph, Kyrie, Krauss, Natsuhi. They can't all be the sender of the letter, so there's no proof that the person who killed Nanjo sent the letter as well. However it works out, I'm pretty positive he ended up killed by Rosa in episode 2, and there's no real evidence about who did it in episode 1 or 4, so there's no proof that it was the person who sent the letter who killed him in any episode.

Even if it was the case that it was planned to kill him beforehand, we don't know why the money was sent in the first place, and for the purposes of it not being certain that there was the same amount of money in each safe deposit box, the killer attempting to place suspicion on Nanjo after the fact by giving him more is as good as him actually being guilty. And again, even if it was the case that each person paid was paid the same, there's no reason to believe that all twenty boxes in the account were being used to pay people. It's not impossible that there could have been 2 billion in the bank vault being used to pay relatives of the victims, just don't set it in stone just yet.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 13:02   Link #1931
Nih

Rereading my posts again.

Your theory is sound, Valentine, my apologies.

Last edited by Nih; 2009-07-20 at 15:11. Reason: I was stupid
Nih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 13:40   Link #1932
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
I am also curious about maria's letters, as A) they were written by beatrice and B) they talk about the previous Episodes, which means beatrice is someone who remember how the twilights were carried, or maybe even, who has a plan on how to carry them.
Actually we don't know the exact content of those letters. We can certainly draw a cross over the possibility that one of them narrates the events of Ep3 because they say everyone dies. But we don't know if they actually narrate the events of Ep1 and Ep2.

Quote:
My own suspicion is that Nanjo was killed by George in episode 3, and there are several other possibilities not stated dead at the time in red - Hideyoshi, Rudolph, Kyrie, Krauss, Natsuhi. They can't all be the sender of the letter, so there's no proof that the person who killed Nanjo sent the letter as well. However it works out, I'm pretty positive he ended up killed by Rosa in episode 2, and there's no real evidence about who did it in episode 1 or 4, so there's no proof that it was the person who sent the letter who killed him in any episode.

Even if it was the case that it was planned to kill him beforehand, we don't know why the money was sent in the first place, and for the purposes of it not being certain that there was the same amount of money in each safe deposit box, the killer attempting to place suspicion on Nanjo after the fact by giving him more is as good as him actually being guilty. And again, even if it was the case that each person paid was paid the same, there's no reason to believe that all twenty boxes in the account were being used to pay people. It's not impossible that there could have been 2 billion in the bank vault being used to pay relatives of the victims, just don't set it in stone just yet.
I agree that it's not set in stone, but I see not even a circumstantial proof or logical argument (beside: "it isn't outside the realm of the plausible possibilities") to think otherwise.
It wasn't done to keep a promise, because it was a very ineffective way
It wasn't done to place suspicion on Nanjo or whichever, because else the culprit would have notified to police somehow, and yet even though there are at least 3 letters, the police is obviously on the dark (else they would have questioned Nanjo's son and Kumasawa's son about them).
The Beatrice that wrote the letters is the same person that wrote the messages in the bottles. There is really no doubt that this person predicted the death of every single persons. Even if this Beatrice isn't the killer, she didn't expect anyone to survive. So a compensation wasn't necessary.

The only way you can explain this behavior is by assuming the fickle nature of this person, but that removes greed as a possible drive, which was my objective from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nih View Post
You know, I can't tell for certain who is going along with this for fun and who is trying to burn me.

Well played
I don't think I understand what exactly are you trying to convey. The thing you said earlier to me sounded just like: "magic doesn't exist" which is what 99.9% of people believes since the end of Ep1.

Old 2009-06-27, 13:56   Link #1933
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
He couldn't be the 9th victim if he died before everyone else and he couldn't be in Kyrie's group either.
There's no problem.

"Kyrie's group" is a weak definition since the only such group we see is in the magic scene. I'd say she's just using it as shorthand for the 5 we see, but there's no guarantee they were actually together for any reason. Also, the real Kanon doesn't have to be dead before the game, just dead by the time everyone is running toward the tunnel.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 14:00   Link #1934
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Ah but that's painful. If Kanon isn't dead before the game how can you justify the presence of a twin without clashing with the 17 persons limit?

Old 2009-06-27, 14:05   Link #1935
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Shannon is fake Kanon...Jan-Poo aren't you one of the people who like the Kanon=Shannon theory xD
Old 2009-06-27, 14:10   Link #1936
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yep, well I'm still in doubt, let's say 70% becase the last LD red truth is a pain in the ass. Anyway I was wondering what K//Eternal would think about it.

now for something completely different:

I've replayed the last secret tea party and I noticed something I missed the first time. Well maybe you didn't miss it and I'm the only one stupid anyway:

LD says she wants to trap Berny inside a castle with walls 12k long and 10 meters tall. Berny answers that she wouldn't mind being put there if the walls where 5 times as long and 1/10 shorter. LD seems enthusiastic at the idea because the cubic volume would be even greater.
She completely failed to notice that 1/10 of 10 meters is 1 meter which wouldn't really make a good cage (nor would be enough to make Bern drown under gems). LD really is stupid.

Old 2009-06-27, 14:18   Link #1937
Kitsu
The unlucky one

The LD truth is easy to "beat"

Kanon is Shannon, Shannon doesn't exist or exist anymore. As long Shannon isn't Kanon it's alright
Old 2009-06-27, 15:16   Link #1938
Serpit

I'd like to drop off this little theory in regards to "Kinzo's" identity. Don't take it too seriously, just my thoughts.

Spoiler for Kinzo?:
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 15:50   Link #1939
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpit View Post
I'd like to drop off this little theory in regards to "Kinzo's" identity. Don't take it too seriously, just my thoughts.

Spoiler for Kinzo?:
I've thought it myself, but I don't go as far as to explain everything with that.

For example the fact nobody was inside Kinzo's room can solve the problem of Eva's piece of paper. If you say that Krauss was inside you'd need to find an explanation. Also whether you think there was no one inside the room or Krauss was there, that discussion Natsuhi has with "Kinzo" is too strange to be considered normal. Even if Natsuhi recognizes Krauss as the next "Kinzo" why is she calling him father? You might answer that Natsuhi is unaware of that and mistook him for the real Kinzo but: no one would mistake Kinzo by sight and there's really no logical reason to think this can apply only to the fourth game.

Also Nanjo obviously knows the truth, but why is he playing along with Krauss when he knocks at the door calling for his father?

In other words the "Krauss is Kinzo" theory is possible but I don't think you can justify all the "Kinzo scenes" with that alone.

Old 2009-06-27, 16:02   Link #1940
Squirrellord

Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
Quote:

Also Nanjo obviously knows the truth, but why is he playing along with Krauss when he knocks at the door calling for his father?

I've mentioned this before, but that's simply taking a fact for granted. We *think* he knows, specifically because of the line in part one, where he says he was just playing Chess with Kinzo in the study. However, that could be a baldfaced lie, and Nanjo himself doesn't know where Kinzo is, or he believes he's in Kuwadorian.
Theory:
If Kinzo died within a day or two of October 4th, Genji and Nanjo may not know. Kinzo was prone to disappearing to Kuwadorian to visit Beatrice when she was alive, but there's no guarantee that he stopped going there even after she fell. It is possible that Genji and Nanjo were both told that, if Kinzo is not in his study, that he is at Kuwadorian, and is not to be disturbed. To keep Krauss and the rest from finding out, they are to say that they had just recently been with him in the Study, and that he is still there and in a foul mood. Regardless of all situations then, Nanjo will say he has been with Kinzo.

We only want to believe that Kinzo died a long time before, say more than a year, because
1. He stopped showing up at the conferencess
2. He stopped taking an audience with anyone but Genji or Nanjo
3. The corpse was burned to hide time of death
4. The "smell" of Kinzo's absinthe may be Embalming fluid.

But all of those could just be red herrings into making us thing there's a deep conspiracy than there actually is.
Squirrellord is offline   Reply With Quote