Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-11, 19:11   Link #441
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Yeah... I personally like it better than the anime, but in terms of adapting the VN it also has more original material, so in some ways it's more like an alternate universe than an adaptation.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 07:50   Link #442
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I'd call it more of an alternate universe, really. In the beginning, it was definitely starting out as more of an adaptation of the VN... and then somewhere along the line the mangaka said "You know what would be fun? Making Shinji sympathetic!"
Old 2010-10-12, 08:13   Link #443
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Made him what!? Gack. That's horrible. But original material was probably introduced to prolong the life of the manga. It's all about the Benjamin's you know.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:17   Link #444
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Well, he's still an insufferable little asshole with an inferiority complex the size of Australia. But he's considerably less of a monster, and shown to have actually been a pretty decent kid. He's not irredeemably evil, is the key thing.

Basically, he was an okay kid who grew up to be bitter and paranoid, as opposed to VN!Shinji being a little bastard who grew up to be a Complete Monster.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:17   Link #445
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

I know it sounds bad when I put it like that, but it's really something you have to see to believe. Shinji's still a jerk in the manga, but I actually found him a likable jerk compared to his VN and anime self.

EDIT: Damn your ninja talents, Moczo.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:20   Link #446
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I will always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always hate his guts. I can never forgive him for what he did.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:23   Link #447
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Then you probably won't like the manga. Sakura saves him from death and sets him on the path of redemption at the end of the first major story arc.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:29   Link #448
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Also, he never actually raped her in this continuity. He's shown hitting her once or twice while in the midst of giant freak-outs, but mostly seems to ignore her. There's actually a side-story where he and Shirou save her from some bullies in the archery club, and she wonders why they can't go back to those days.

The implication is that if he weren't obsessed with being a magus and convinced that everyone in the world was pointing and laughing at him because he can't be one and she can, the two of them would actually be a pretty normal brother and sister. And in fact, in a scene from their childhood, he's shown actually being a pretty cool big brother when he didn't know why she was adopted (i.e. because he wasn't good enough to be the Makiri Heir). But unfortunately he is obsessive, paranoid, and kinda crazy.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:58   Link #449
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
And in fact, in a scene from their childhood, he's shown actually being a pretty cool big brother when he didn't know why she was adopted (i.e. because he wasn't good enough to be the Makiri Heir). But unfortunately he is obsessive, paranoid, and kinda crazy.
Was that...
Spoiler for Manga?:
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 09:01   Link #450
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Was that...
Spoiler for Manga?:
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2010-10-12, 09:09   Link #451
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Then you probably won't like the manga. Sakura saves him from death and sets him on the path of redemption at the end of the first major story arc.
Well, I can see Sakura saving him, but there is no redemption for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Also, he never actually raped her in this continuity. He's shown hitting her once or twice while in the midst of giant freak-outs, but mostly seems to ignore her. There's actually a side-story where he and Shirou save her from some bullies in the archery club, and she wonders why they can't go back to those days.

The implication is that if he weren't obsessed with being a magus and convinced that everyone in the world was pointing and laughing at him because he can't be one and she can, the two of them would actually be a pretty normal brother and sister. And in fact, in a scene from their childhood, he's shown actually being a pretty cool big brother when he didn't know why she was adopted (i.e. because he wasn't good enough to be the Makiri Heir). But unfortunately he is obsessive, paranoid, and kinda crazy.
I guess the author wanted to clean the story up a little bit or something.

Honestly, I wish Nasu did a story more like that.

I need to find another rage-free and happy story now that I'm pissed again.
Old 2010-10-12, 09:26   Link #452
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, just to keep in mind, Manga!Shinji is an AU take on VN!Shinji, for all accounts and purposes. So while VN!Shinji is certainly beyond redemption (unless you consider Shirou's comments in UBW True to be honest), Manga!Shinji stands a better chance of actually becoming a decent guy. He actually expresses some guilt over attacking Ayako when she decides to keep him on as the vice captain.
Old 2010-10-12, 09:51   Link #453
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Sounds like a lot of fluff to me. I will always be biased towards the VN though, so yeah.
Old 2010-10-12, 09:53   Link #454
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Yeah, well. I still recommend the manga, if only for the interesting alternate take on the story. And to its credit, it pulls off quite a few things much better than the anime did.
Old 2010-10-12, 11:16   Link #455
Cherry_Lover

Spoiler for Manga:
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 12:02   Link #456
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Spoiler for Manga:
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2010-10-12, 23:56   Link #457
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

To be honest, I'm curious as to where the manga is going from here. We're at the point in UBW where Caster's arc ended, but in the manga we've only really had hints of her backstory and only minor development on her relationship with Kuzuki. Not to mention, there's been no real sign that Archer is playing around with Caster like he did in the VN and planted doubts in her mind by commenting about the Servants.

I mean, I don't think there's a major problem with ending the arc here, especially if it's to head into the main story for Fate. But there's still quite a bit left untouched, and I'm wondering if perhaps the manga will take a shot at it or end things as they are.
Old 2010-10-13, 20:56   Link #458
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

I guess the author wanted to clean the story up a little bit or something.

Honestly, I wish Nasu did a story more like that.

I need to find another rage-free and happy story now that I'm pissed again.
Its very odd to me seeing this desire to change him and how people like him even though he is still pretty much a practitioner of domestic abuse for petty reasons. Maybe because it hits home more for me, but I agree with you here.

Even when he was talking friendly with her, imo its because he was in a position of power over her (or at least he thought he was), that he treated her decently. Same with the VN, except to a more extreme extent. On both counts, it was never a relationship of brother and sister, it was always master and 'subordinate'.

Once again, there is a rather interesting analysis of characters here, now that the rape and domestic abuse has been toned down to "just" domestic abuse.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 18:21   Link #459
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Woot, new chapter of Prisma Ilya!

Though I think the pages are in the wrong order... still, kind of a lot of plot bombs dropped, huh?
Old 2010-10-26, 19:12   Link #460
GlancingReverse

Meh, the file itself has the pages in the right order. Probably due to the way the stuff got numbered.
Spoiler for Order:
GlancingReverse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen