AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-28, 13:06   Link #21
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

You asked about Enchanted Arms and nobody picked up on it, but as far as I'm concerned it's one of the better JRPGs this gen, even still. OK, it's not in the leagues of Xenoblade, Tales of Vesperia or Lost Odyssey. That said it's still very good and worth a purchase.

Traditional grid battles, graphics that hold up in any company, a fairly interesting story boosted by some actually likable characters and (latterly) brilliant scripting. The golem collecting/using mechanic is fairly interesting, though most stick to an all human party, you can mix it up if that's your preference. The difficulty is challenging and battles are frequent, perhaps at times to a fault, but it keeps things entertaining.

All things considered, it ranks alongside Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate as the best of the JRPG genre available on the PS3.
Old 2012-01-28, 16:07   Link #22
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I suppose I could amend my original suggestion to add PS2 RPG's, as upon further research, it appears I've missed a few.
For PS2, I strongly suggest Shadow Hearts: Covenant. To this day, it remains among the few RPGs that get a 100% from me; compelling battle system, amazing music scores, traditional story with original characters, many side quests, freedom of movement and customization (with the ever so epic Solomon's Key topping it all) and even replay value, you can get an NG+ for a few more things. The first and third installments are also very good, I personally enjoyed SH: From the new world despite being inferior to its predecessor.

If you are a Shin Megami Tensei fan, Digital Devil Saga 1&2 are also worth a mention. The two are connected (.hack-style) but you get transferable bonuses for a few things...the best element in the game was definitely the gameplay. No more recruiting and fusing and grinding for your party, they're all half-demons with a whole grid of abilities to master, eventually becoming indestructible. DDS1 also boasts the most difficult secret boss in my roster, topping even the masked dual keyblade master from KHBBS(!) although I have yet to beat either...

A bit older title that you might have missed, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is a turn-based RPG with a battle field and movement restrictions. The game's handicap is the fact that your money is also your power (or mana, if you will) so it requires a lot of thinking as to how you'll get around your fights. It's also a quite tough game, if you're into that.

If you need any more, PM me a list of what you remember playing, I don't want to hit the character limit on this post :P
Old 2012-01-28, 16:19   Link #23
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You could try the PS3 ports of Phantasy Star.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-01-28, 19:47   Link #24
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Thanks, Darkbeat. I was hoping someone would mention it, as to whether it was worth playing, heh. I feel a bit better about adding it to my list.

Hmm, hadn't heard of the Shadow Hearts series(and appears to be three games so far, all sequels of each other), but if it comes recommended, I'll add it to my list.

I actually did play all 4 main Phantasy Star games. Was looking at the collection, but it appears to be just straight ports, and no real enhancements or remakes. So I'll probably pass on that for now, unless I find it laying in a bin, cheap.

Anyway, my current list has the following(of games currently released):
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Ar Tonelico series (all three games)
Shadow Hearts (at least the first two)
Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Agarest (possibly)

And some of the recommended hack and slash action RPGs, I might check out if I feel like it:
Demon Souls/Dark Souls
Nier

I looked at White Knight Chronicles, and while the graphics are really nice, it reminds me too much of an MMO, and I've sworn off MMOs for now. Partially afraid anything like them will draw me back in (I'm a recovering MMO'er, and I can't drink even fake alcohol ;p )
Old 2012-01-28, 20:55   Link #25
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Anyway, my current list has the following(of games currently released):
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Ar Tonelico series (all three games)
Shadow Hearts (at least the first two)
Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Agarest (possibly)

And some of the recommended hack and slash action RPGs, I might check out if I feel like it:
Demon Souls/Dark Souls
Nier
Enchanted Arms hmm... I hope you have a good sense of humour, or else you will be hugely disappointed. To be honest if it was 2006 I would say go and get it, but today and seeing the other titles you have listed, you might want to get those first, before even considering this one.
Just a warning Agarest is not a JRPG (turnbased battle, made in japan featuring anime/manga style characters), it is a SRPG with dating simulation elements, featuring anime/manga style characters.
Those are the two games that stood out on your list, because they are quite different than the other ones you have listed.
Old 2012-01-28, 21:12   Link #26
Luca Blight

The best JRPG available in english for PS3 is Valkyria Chronicles, even if you prefer magic and swords you should really try it.

For PS2 I'd recommend Gensou Suikoden V and Star Ocean: Till the end of Time.
Closed Thread