AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-05-12, 14:21   Link #2361
Dreamer90
Lost in thought

I have a question regarding one of the most common things often attributed to Japan; the masks.
I know that many people wear them when they're sick to reduce the risk of infecting others (which is a good thing, IMO.) but I've seen in many anime and mangas that characters usually wear them (or something similar) when they're cleaning the house or serving food in cafeterias. I was just curious how widespread these different uses of masks are, if they're even used this way IRL at all.

D3
Dreamer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 14:25   Link #2362
Sumeragi
Banned

They're used as much as seen in anime, if not more. The use in cafeterias is to prevent saliva from getting into the food as the servers speak.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 14:46   Link #2363
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Last time I went to Japan, it amused me seeing a wide choice of those masks in even the most tiny convenience store.
From what I could tell, in spring a lot of people are wearing them because of the pollen as well.
Old 2012-05-12, 14:47   Link #2364
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

In response to Classified Info's question on Chobits, I wonder why cats in Japan are popular ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 14:49   Link #2365
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Nah, I have too much respect for the military to think of such things. My fiancé is a former ROKMC, and he's a compact hunk, especially compared to the stupid machos of the past. Finely toned muscles everywhere.

Also, rare is the eroge protagonist who are worth anything.
Why do I have a feeling that you pretty girls hate us guys over at the intel side just because we don't train as extensively as the ops guys outfield......is it because we only listen, write tons but rarely speak?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 15:25   Link #2366
Dreamer90
Lost in thought

Quote:
They're used as much as seen in anime, if not more. The use in cafeterias is to prevent saliva from getting into the food as the servers speak.
Ooh, I see. I do know that they're commonly used when sick, but I didn't know if the other uses (cleaning, cafeteria) were as common as anime makes them look. Does everyone in a cafeteria have to wear them as part of a job uniform or something? Are there special masks just for cleaning or cafeteria work(wouldn't surprise me if there are. I've seen a bajillion types of masks from Japan.) or do they use the same kinda masks in all those cases?
Hmm...sometimes I wish we swedes'd pick up the mask practice. -_-

D3
Old 2012-05-12, 16:45   Link #2367
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Here's a look back at Japanese TV 30 years ago (the year I was born).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPc6_phqhx0
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 17:27   Link #2368
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
In response to Classified Info's question on Chobits, I wonder why cats in Japan are popular ?
You mean there's a nation out there where cats are NOT popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Here's a look back at Japanese TV 30 years ago (the year I was born).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPc6_phqhx0
Even to this day, I don't think there's a single Japanese who doesn't know the theme melody to Taiyou ni Hoero (Shout to the Sun).
It's almost up there with Mito Koumon.
Old 2012-05-12, 17:34   Link #2369
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I'll just want anyone to explain to Classified why cats are popular in Japan, especially the nekomimi thing.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 17:40   Link #2370
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
I'll just want anyone to explain to Classified why cats are popular in Japan, especially the nekomimi thing.
Because it's cute, playful, mischievous, and rather wicked in an erotic way? Things that tugs at a guy's weak heart.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 18:58   Link #2371
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why do I have a feeling that you pretty girls hate us guys over at the intel side just because we don't train as extensively as the ops guys outfield......is it because we only listen, write tons but rarely speak?
He also happens to be a law student (and an accomplished cook, a violinist, etc). He has the brains and the brawn.
Old 2012-05-12, 19:06   Link #2372
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer90 View Post
I have a question regarding one of the most common things often attributed to Japan; the masks.
I know that many people wear them when they're sick to reduce the risk of infecting others (which is a good thing, IMO.) but I've seen in many anime and mangas that characters usually wear them (or something similar) when they're cleaning the house or serving food in cafeterias. I was just curious how widespread these different uses of masks are, if they're even used this way IRL at all.

D3
Last time i ask the manager of the inn when i stay in Japan:
- Protect the mouth from cold wind (especially in Winter)
- Prevent sickness from spreading
- Prevent pollen sickness
- To serve as the mask when entering "suspicious store" (example: JAV section in DVD shop / Fujoshi shop)
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:12   Link #2373
Dreamer90
Lost in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Last time i ask the manager of the inn when i stay in Japan:
- Protect the mouth from cold wind (especially in Winter)
- Prevent sickness from spreading
- Prevent pollen sickness
- To serve as the mask when entering "suspicious store" (example: JAV section in DVD shop / Fujoshi shop)
Using them as a disguise, eh? Tricky~
I did know that they do use them for the first three reasons actually, I'm just a bit confused weather or not people actually use masks when cleaning and working in a cafeteria, as I've seen on anime and in manga.
Spoiler for An example from Sankarea episode 5:

I'm not really very fond of getting my image of reality completely from fictional media, so that's why I'm asking. xD

D3

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
-Ayn Rand

"We have plenty of youth. What we need is a fountain of smart."
-Unknown
Old 2012-05-12, 19:29   Link #2374
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
He also happens to be a law student (and an accomplished cook, a violinist, etc). He has the brains and the brawn.
Might I ask how he feels to be engaged to a "Yandere Yuri Goddess?"
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 02:59   Link #2375
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
I thought fujoshis are the "bold girls" type who dare to enter those kind of stores to buy those disgusting illegal material - never met a shy fujoshi before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The Swiss. They eat cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Might I ask how he feels to be engaged to a "Yandere Yuri Goddess?"
I think he'll start worrying when they have children - Sume-nee is a shotacon and probably won't hestitate to buy BL entertainment for her daughters. *digs a hole and hides*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 03:56   Link #2376
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I wouldn't go that far, there's plenty of male characters who aren't total complete losers.
Yeah, but how many of them don't let themselve being talked down, or actually react when they are punched by a girl of their household/nakama (I'm not talking about beating her back, but just calling her on it, or getting actually mad and not just meek ?) ?

The loser harem protagonist is certainly the most "glorious" example of complete doormat, but I'm rather talking about the "submissive/passive" streak of nearly every protagonist, not just the most extreme cases.
Quote:
In terms of male characterisation, I think Anime actually does a lot better then most other genres of young adult fiction (particularly their closest counterpart, american comics).
You're preaching to the choir here. If I'm so irritated by some flaws ubiquitous in anime (like the doormat protagonist or the unability to actually build a relationship until the last episode), it's precisely because anime is practically the only kind of visual medium I watch (as it's the only one that "resonate" with me).
And so it makes me desperate to see the series break more from the usual clichés
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 04:55   Link #2377
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Yeah, but how many of them don't let themselve being talked down, or actually react when they are punched by a girl of their household/nakama (I'm not talking about beating her back, but just calling her on it, or getting actually mad and not just meek ?) ?
As DonQuigleone said, this is more a sign of a weak female status, than a weak male.
The woman is not taken seriously, so she can do whatever she wants and all it amounts to is comedy.
If the girl was actually in the stronger position, like you say, then behavior like this would have serious consequences. But as it is, it can be ignored, because it comes from a girl.
For someone with this line of thinking, it would make the male look weaker, if he took a girl serious. He would lower himself to her level, so to say.

So yes, these are symptoms of inequality, but you are reading them upside down.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 05:03   Link #2378
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
I think he'll start worrying when they have children - Sume-nee is a shotacon and probably won't hestitate to buy BL entertainment for her daughters. *digs a hole and hides*
*Contacts the ROKMC Veterans'' Association and has them destroy SaintessHeart's shelter*

Well, he's pretty tolerant of things. I mean, he doesn't mind my using him as a model for some of my writings
Old 2012-05-13, 06:30   Link #2379
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
I thought fujoshis are the "bold girls" type who dare to enter those kind of stores to buy those disgusting illegal material - never met a shy fujoshi before.
Ha ha ha...
Where do you get that impression from??
Sumeragi??

Well, most of them i see is using mask...
And on the counterpart, male otaku (anime and idol) rarely use mask even when browsing 18++ material...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 06:42   Link #2380
Dreamer90
Lost in thought

Quote:
Disgusting illegal material? O_o
If it's illegal, why is it even sold in stores? And what's so disgusting about it?. xD

D3

PS. If anyone has an answer to the stuff I asked in my previous post, don't hesitate to respond. I'm still curious. xD

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
-Ayn Rand

"We have plenty of youth. What we need is a fountain of smart."
-Unknown

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture