AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-03, 16:51   Link #21
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
D: Looking at all your guys reactions makes me seriously regret I hadn't skipped out...
But I actually prefer quality, soo
It's not exactly like you can't still enjoy the quality when/if it became available later. I know that my kids went to see a 2D version of Avatar before we could see it in 3D, and they seemed to enjoy both.

Perhaps more on topic, does the success of the movie make it more or less likely that the follow-on will be another movie or another series?
Old 2010-04-03, 19:49   Link #22
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
It's not exactly like you can't still enjoy the quality when/if it became available later. I know that my kids went to see a 2D version of Avatar before we could see it in 3D, and they seemed to enjoy both.

Perhaps more on topic, does the success of the movie make it more or less likely that the follow-on will be another movie or another series?
More likely. They're gonna HAVE to make a third season because Kyon has to finish what he has to do in the Disappearance Arc. I don' think they could leave that open.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2010-04-03, 20:24   Link #23
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of interest in the anime industry right now in making more anime movies, because I think they see this as a way of increasing revenue (since people pay to see it in theatres, and will pay again when it arrives on DVD/BD). It also helps them deal with production timing issues given the ongoing shortage of skilled staff. So it wouldn't surprise me very much if they're considering more movies for the future of the franchise; of course, time will tell.
Old 2010-04-03, 21:06   Link #24
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There seems to be a lot of interest in the anime industry right now in making more anime movies, because I think they see this as a way of increasing revenue (since people pay to see it in theatres, and will pay again when it arrives on DVD/BD). It also helps them deal with production timing issues given the ongoing shortage of skilled staff. So it wouldn't surprise me very much if they're considering more movies for the future of the franchise; of course, time will tell.
And of course there's the added bonus of little to no loss of revenue to ripping and fansubbing, at least before the movie hits DVD/BD...
Old 2010-04-03, 22:20   Link #25
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
And of course there's the added bonus of little to no loss of revenue to ripping and fansubbing, at least before the movie hits DVD/BD...
So you're betting that no one is going to sub that thing out there we aren't talking about?

Better point - I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of money that the average fansub viewer spends more money on real DVDs and Manga than the average non-fansub viewer. I certainly wouldn't have bought all those volumes of Kimi ni Todoke if I hadn't seen episodes of a show that aren't licensed in my region first. I highly doubt I would have bought the boxed sets of Haruhi if I had never seen the show first. And so on.

Given that, I wonder if they aren't likely to actually start to minimize their market if they really delay everything by six months to a year. For high profile titles like Haruhi and Evangelion you can probably get away with it. But for most other series, I suspect what little publicity there was when it released would be gone and forgotten by the time the DVD/BD becomes available.

And let me get off my soap box now before I REALLY get started
Old 2010-04-03, 23:43   Link #26
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
So you're betting that no one is going to sub that thing out there we aren't talking about?
But consider how long it took to arrive and the level of quality we're talking about. That can hardly be considered serious competition.

Quote:
Better point - I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of money that the average fansub viewer spends more money on real DVDs and Manga than the average non-fansub viewer.
Oh boy... while we'll not get into this in this thread, suffice it to say that for those who buy anime at all, fansubs can be an influencing factor. But that highlighted part is the operating point, and the source of the whole dilemma.

And really, the benefit of the movie approach is less about the international market than it is about the domestic market. And in the case of the domestic market, most of the established fanbase is already there due to the source material. So the whole "delay" factor is not an issue in that case. Given the collapse in the North American market over the past few years, it's not too surprising that they aren't putting our interests first.
Old 2010-04-04, 01:46   Link #27
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

Better point - I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of money that the average fansub viewer spends more money on real DVDs and Manga than the average non-fansub viewer. I certainly wouldn't have bought all those volumes of Kimi ni Todoke if I hadn't seen episodes of a show that aren't licensed in my region first. I highly doubt I would have bought the boxed sets of Haruhi if I had never seen the show first. And so on.

Given that, I wonder if they aren't likely to actually start to minimize their market if they really delay everything by six months to a year. For high profile titles like Haruhi and Evangelion you can probably get away with it. But for most other series, I suspect what little publicity there was when it released would be gone and forgotten by the time the DVD/BD becomes available.

And let me get off my soap box now before I REALLY get started
There are a lot of people who watch fansubs and buy DVDs. You should see my own library. But I'll just say this. There are four groups of customers for any potential DVD/BD purchase:

a) people who will buy it in any case
b) people who will not buy it in any case
c) people who decide not to buy it after they see a fansub
d) people who decide to buy it after they see a fansub

This is the case with any property, but the ratios differ from title to title.

Most people automatically fall into b). It's sad but true. People are cheap, and with the anonymity that the internet gives, there's not even any moral compunction to give back to the creators, since for most their only moral compunction on this level of "sin" boils down to guilt avoidance. You are correct that some benefit might be gained by cutting the time between initial broadcast (or movie release) and first home release, but at least for movies, the longer it's in theaters, the higher the eventual profit margin is and the longer the publicity lasts. And home release dates kill ticket sales, so there has to be some time between the two.

There are some times where the existence of a fansub will give you more of d) than c), but not many. Primarily just new or little-known series that are very good.

For a number of reasons, primarily that Disappearance is well-known yet nowhere near an ideal introductory story for new fans, c) is unequivocally going to be a larger group than d). Very few people who haven't seen any Haruhi already are going to start with the movie, and as good as the story may be, those who do might even be so confused by it that they don't bother finishing it (it is 2 1/2 hours long).

And as Relentless Flame suggested, that crappy canrip that doesn't exist and that we're not talking about isn't going to be the "keeper version" in any fan's collection.
Old 2010-04-04, 06:48   Link #28
konart

torrented the movie(can't wait anymore, lol) - and I'm absolutely satisfied with it. Just awesome
Old 2010-04-04, 08:47   Link #29
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

I'm buying the DVD when it's out.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2010-04-04, 08:53   Link #30
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

I'm not going to spoil myself with the poor quality of the camrip, so... yeah. Determination, let's go!

Quote:
There are just so many anime movies coming out that I'm surprised. Fate/Stay Night got a movie, Nanoha got a movie, Doraemon got its 25th movie (lolwut)... I think the staff in Japan has their work cut out for them, since a movie will attract much more attention than an anime. The industry needs the revenue to keep improving, and the animators need the freer schedule to better produce good animation, like relentlessflame has said. Also, some people will watch a movie, but not anime episodes, so the movie captures another portion of the audience, converting more fans in the process.

I'm not sure whether to discuss it here or not, but oh wells. I recently read an article that says the Japanese anime industry is in a crisis because of they outsource so much of their work to Korea and China. As a result, they are becoming more skilled and will probably start coming up with their own anime. For now the anime industry is limited to Japan, but perhaps we'll see Korean and Chinese ones soon.
Old 2010-04-04, 09:01   Link #31
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Given the collapse in the North American market over the past few years, it's not too surprising that they aren't putting our interests first.
Point taken
Old 2010-04-04, 10:29   Link #32
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
torrented the movie(can't wait anymore, lol) - and I'm absolutely satisfied with it. Just awesome
Same here. I'd rather see a peek at it than wait several months in mental agony. The pictures, the trailers, the soundtrack.. tearing me up. I think it would be just as awesome when I see it on dvd/blu ray.
Old 2010-04-04, 11:01   Link #33
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I'm tempted but...I think I too can wait until the DVD/Blu ray is out.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2010-04-04, 12:06   Link #34
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
This is the point where I say "Screw quality" and go have an epic search.
But still. DVD/Blu-ray release better come sooner than 1 year.
Old 2010-04-04, 12:32   Link #35
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
This is the point where I say "Screw quality" and go have an epic search.
But still. DVD/Blu-ray release better come sooner than 1 year.
I'd expect the DVD/BluRay no later than August.
Old 2010-04-04, 12:32   Link #36
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
And as Relentless Flame suggested, that crappy canrip that doesn't exist and that we're not talking about isn't going to be the "keeper version" in any fan's collection.
Oh I don't know... it's kind of how I would imagine SHAFT doing Haruhi. Weird angles that change at times for no particular reason - sudden blank screens - etc.
Old 2010-04-04, 12:45   Link #37
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Oh I don't know... it's kind of how I would imagine SHAFT doing Haruhi. Weird angles that change at times for no particular reason - sudden blank screens - etc.
SHAFT doesn't do blank screens. There's always (variably) related words on those screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
I'm buying the DVD when it's out.
This will probably be the movie on which I test that Japan/US shared BluRay region...
Old 2010-04-04, 14:58   Link #38
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

if KyoAni is kind enough like they were with Haruhi 2009 DVDs, the movie might come out with english subtitles as well
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-04-04, 22:17   Link #39
baltakatei

The upside to watching a camrip version online is that I got to see it with my far-away girlfriend. <3 Even if we both had a DVD, it'd be hard to watch synchronously.

I sure wouldn't mind having a movie delivery system where I paid for me and someone else to watch a movie streamed online together. It'd save on the hassle of having to live in the same city as your friends.
Old 2010-04-04, 23:33   Link #40
DeepFriedAsian
Not Otaku, "Enthusiast".

The movie was really something. Even after several times watching it, certain scenes were just as awesome as when I first saw them. Definitely going in my (now-pulled-out-of-my-ass) top 5 anime movies list.

Can't wait for the BD/DVD release!
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya