AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-08-09, 06:25   Link #961
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Magdala de Nemure. This is only one set of collection, so for this, I would say Rokka no Yuusha.

The second is actually a novel, not an LN. Decent love story, I must say.

Also, try getting とある飛空士への恋歌

I already bought the 3 volumes of Magdala de nemure and this is actually the next series I planned to read after finishing the one I'm currently reading. Looking forward to it :3
Rokka no yuusha I read the volumes 1 to 3 but don't have the fourth yet. (This is currently my favorite Ln, as if my avatar and sign weren't enough to tell this :3 )

As for Toaru Hikuushi e no koiuta, I'll look into it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I have 250. I will never read them all.

Edit: 117 read, I think. Ugh.
I think I read 103/141 -after counting . I have a lot to read for the same reason as you, as I'm also ordering from amazon.
Old 2013-08-12, 08:18   Link #962
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

I don't know what to read, I have read all of c3 a while ago and caught up with my others update, I'm current following Kenshin no Keishousha and Gakusen Toshi Asterisk.

I know I have stated in my pervious post that I want to read IS, but something is holding me back from starting it.

Any recommendation?

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 08:55   Link #963
R.LocK
My turn

^Oda Nobuna~
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 09:02   Link #964
Zefyris
図書館狼

I probably wouldn't want to read IS even if someone were to give me all the books as a present.

Are you mostly searching ecchi/harem type of LN ?
Old 2013-08-13, 05:50   Link #965
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Not really, but the last 4 titles I read are more toward action/harem.

And about IS, I heard alot things about it, good and bad things. So for now I place it in hold.

@R.Lock, yeah I was thinking about reading Oda Nobuna no Yabou as well, but I wanted to see what other option others can suggest.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
Old 2013-08-13, 14:10   Link #966
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
@R.Lock, yeah I was thinking about reading Oda Nobuna no Yabou as well, but I wanted to see what other option others can suggest.
Some maybe are not LN related but the author's other work as been adapted to anime/manga and I personally feel they contain light novel elements so I stuck them here.

With that said! Just recent ones that came to mind/currently reading since I literally have no idea what you're interested in based on the previous posts:

Mystery (the only genre that matters):
1) Biblia Jiken Techou
2) Bannou Kanteishi
3) Shoushimin series
4) GOSICK
5) Kamisama no Memochou

Fantasy/Adventure:
1) Earl and Fairy (not joking, I love this series, don't judge me!)
2) Slayers
3) Kamisama no inai Nichiyoubi
4) Denyuuden series
5) Rinkan no Madoushi

Supernatural/Modern:
1) Tokyo Raven
2) Durarara
3) Rental Magica
4) Reinousha Minato
5) Yakushiji Ryoko

Sci-fi:
1) 9s
2) Owari no Chronicle
3) Seikai series
4) Accel World (I don't really know where else to put this)
5) Mardock Scramble

Random:
1) Zaregoto
2) Denpa teki na Kanojo (Katayama ... please come back ...)
3) Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome (Amazon reviews hate this but I love the hell out of it).
4) Rokka no Yuusha
5) Kachoufuugetsu series (did you know the editor of this series is Miki Kazuma?)

Ones that I like but would not recommend:
1) Danmachi (Spin-off is here (史上最強のw)!!! I'm sure 99% of you would recognize the artist).
2) Kanaku no Kiseki (serialized but I only read first volume and ... well I like it but waiting for the series to be over first because I need to know the ending since I'm a terrible person)
3) Talleyrand no Jikenbo (just cause it's not as good as Biblia, girl's cute though)

Stuff that was recommended to me but haven't read:
1) Densetsu series (Nisio's; Spoilers someone told me half the cast died in volume 1!!!)
2) Anything by Sazane Kei
3) Omoide no Toki Shuurishimasu (same author as Earl and Fairy and did fairly well for the first half of this year on Oricon with around 130k+ prints).

I hope something interested you there; if not, well, I tried!
Also (belated for people at the other half of the hemisphere) happy Tanabata everyone!

PS: The numbers aren't ranking; they're just there for the sake of personal organization.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 05:21   Link #967
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

^ Wow, thank for the recommandation, but one problem, most of these titles have not been translated or only just started.
Since I only can read english, i'm limit to whats translated.

BUT, since you went out of you way to compose such a large list, I would surely check it out.

*edit*
I read that Chrome Shelled Regios ended at vols 24.
Does the anime stay true to the LN or is the LN completely different to te anime, like some other series are.

Last edited by mike211; 2013-08-14 at 08:52.
Old 2013-08-17, 09:09   Link #968
apr
Pedestrian

Finished Mori no Majuu ni Hanataba wo by Kogi Kimito. It's a one-off fairy tale about a sickly boy who is charged with the task of fetching a blue rose from the Forbidden Forest to solidify his claim as heir to a great house. Behind the scenes it's more of a plan to get rid of the incompetent elder son to make way for his younger step-brother, so once inside the forest filled with fearsome magical beasts, the boy's guard abandons him to die. Luckily the first monster he runs into is a flesh-eating flower nymph.

In the end it's a fairly simple boy-meets-girl from different worlds story. The writing is adequate but dull, and the plot doesn't have any real surprises to offer. Well, maybe the double leg transplant. It's all just too tepid to bother.
Old 2013-08-19, 13:03   Link #969
EnigmaticAxiom

Kunagisa, I just noticed you had Rinkan no Madoushi in your list. How is it as a read? It looks interesting enough to me, but I can't say I know too much about it, and I never seem to get in the mood to actually read it. I've finally got a home address that won't change and the money to buy all the LNs I've been keeping focus on, so I'm wondering if a volume or two of this would be a good addition. I'm preferential to fantasy stories, but it's boring if they're all action and have no breadth to them.
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:13   Link #970
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Anyone ever read 失恋探偵ももせ? I know that it's the winner of Dengeki 19th light novel prize, and that it's a mystery novel, but is the mystery aspect of the novel any good?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 13:56   Link #971
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
Kunagisa, I just noticed you had Rinkan no Madoushi in your list. How is it as a read? It looks interesting enough to me, but I can't say I know too much about it, and I never seem to get in the mood to actually read it. I've finally got a home address that won't change and the money to buy all the LNs I've been keeping focus on, so I'm wondering if a volume or two of this would be a good addition. I'm preferential to fantasy stories, but it's boring if they're all action and have no breadth to them.
There are quite a bit of action though if I remember correctly (it's been a while) but definitely no more than your average fantasies, and ... with most books of this genre, I don't feel you really get into the meat of it until later, so it's somewhat of an investment (which often comes with risk of 5 volumes later you still don't like the story). You could always dig around in Google and find some reader's review first, I can tell you that the heroine's a yandere though, which is kinda of a huge bonus for me.

If you're looking for "a volume or two" additions, fantasy genre might not be such a good idea? Other people be more knowledgeable (feel free to chip in), but I haven't found short fantasies that I personally would recommend. Maybe try something else like these two perhaps?

Both have decent reviews and short, recommending the first one cause MW Bunko. If all else fails you can always get Biblia (new Q series coming out this October too).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 18:12   Link #972
bakapervert
A pervert

Anyone has read Gundam Unicorn or Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village? Are those two good read? Oh, and if I already watch Unicorn's anime, is it still worth it to read the LN?
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 18:32   Link #973
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

If you like occult stuff like xxxHolic, you should probably be okay with Zashiki Warashi.

things can get a bit morbid though...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 21:22   Link #974
bakapervert
A pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If you like occult stuff like xxxHolic, you should probably be okay with Zashiki Warashi.

things can get a bit morbid though...
Is it like Index and Heavy Object, where the characters can be surprisingly heroic and never abandon anyone in need, stuff like that?
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 11:52   Link #975
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Coming in from Overlap Bunko...has anyone read 灰と幻想のグリムガル? It's only one volume out, but reviews for this one have been surprisingly (and overwhelmingly, even) positive. Take it's Amazon page, for example.
Old 2013-09-25, 21:09   Link #976
iamadooddood
NOM.

Galge no Sekai yo Youkoso! was the grand prize winner of the Enterbrain Entame novel competition. It's a light novel that's very easily missed. There's a manga that only adapts the first volume, so nothing beyond volume 1 is known. (Just like Tokage no Ou...) ~_~

It's ended with 8 "discs" (volumes), a "fandisc" and an "extradisc" (2 side volumes). So you can finish it in one shot. It's about a guy who's given a chance to play his favourite galge in real life, and he takes it. However, playing a galge in RL is very different from playing it on PC or on consoles...

And for once, the entire harem is willing to share the guy, so there's that too.

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2013 is screwed up. Everyone's argument is invalid.
iamadooddood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 13:26   Link #977
apr
Pedestrian

So, last night I devoured the last half of Dainihon Samurai Girl vol 3 by Shidou Ryuusei. I love this shit. It's easily given me the most severe case of can't-stop-reading I've had in a long time. Bit unexpected, considering the closest description I could give for it is "idol fan fiction for people with a business fetish".

Anyway, in this book the ultra-rightwing idol holds her first party assembly, where she hands out manifestos declaring Japan should get their own nukes, and abolish the pension and social security systems. After that the storyline moves into a plan where the talent agency sets her up with a clothes brand of her own, hyping her up in the media as a fashion designer. This entire project is explained in the most incredible detail, paying extreme care to describing all the stages of the (viral) marketing campaign.

Usually this kind of absurd info dump would have me burning the book, but for some strange reason -- be it that Japan is already a fantasy land in my head or that I'm just completely oblivious to business -- the whole thing is amazingly entertaining throughout. I have no idea how much truth there is in all the business babble, but the author pounds it out with such conviction that I want to believe it's true. Not that I'd use it to judge society or anything. Realistic or not, it's very absorbing, and all the characters are so wildly impossible that realism is a non-issue.

I was already surprised to find the first book in the series readable (considering the premise), but the author has really managed to blow my mind by keeping it fresh and interesting all the way up to this third volume. Still dubious whether he'll keep it up, but I'll gladly take the chance with a few more sequels.
Old 2013-11-11, 11:34   Link #979
apr
Pedestrian

Just finished reading Eiko to "Tooru" to Bukatsu no Jikan by Yanagida Kokuri. It's the author's debut work (having won one of those publisher competitions), and reads a bit stiff using somewhat formal language, probably to reflect how emotionally distant the narrating main character is. She's a high school girl who undergoes a radical personality change through a traumatic bullying incident, and ends up being placed (alone) in the school's Chemistry Club, where a talking anatomy mannequin befriends her. Together they set out to investigate a mysterious series of spontaneously combusting school girls, using the power of, uh, science.

I realize this sounds very supernatural, but it's fairly down-to-earth, with reasonable explanations behind everything, so nothing to grumble about there. The novel's real problem is that it lacks any kind of tension. All the victims in the story are unpleasant people, who pretty much "have it coming", and as such it's hard to feel a sense of thrill as the plot progresses. It's exacerbated by the main character's detachment in describing events. At the same time, that detachment leads to a surprising brutality in certain scenes with violence. It brings to mind dark vigilante stuff, if executed poorly. Not feeling particularly interested in the sequel.
Old 2013-11-24, 10:00   Link #980
setsuna86

Can someone tell me where I can find the LN of ベイビー・プリンセス (Baby Princess)?
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels