AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-02-14, 09:02   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Chrome Shelled Regios Missing Mail Manga Discussion thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the second manga series of Chrome Shelled Regios (Chrome Shelled Regios Missing Mail) by Shūsuke Amagi, drawn by Nodoka Kiyose.

First published June 2007 in Monthly Dragon Age.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 19:49   Link #2
prototype_sky

How many chapters have been released in japan so far?
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 20:11   Link #3
TrueKnight

3 volumes are currently released in Japan. Assuming that 1 volume has 5 chapters, then until now there are 15 chapters altogether.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 15:14   Link #4
ipernorris

In the last chapter 5 it is reveal a bit about the reason Layfon was exiled. Felli comments that he wanted to be liked by evreyone but when he revealed his true colors evreybody rejected him, with the exception of Lirin.
I think the reason he was exiled in the manga is different than the one from the novel because otherwise people would have praised him...
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 18:58   Link #5
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Read volume 1 recently. Interesting take on Regios. If the dollar-yen exchange rate wasn't so horrible, I'd be more willing to crack open my wallet and get the other two. I have to admit that I like the art in this series. It's a little shoujo-y, but I like how the mangaka draws Felli and Naruki. The sheep-hugging was a little weird, though. (Yes, sheep hugging.)

Geez, so many different Regios properties out there these days. I guess Fon-Fon will wind up with a different girl in each of them, just to make each set of rabid fanboys happy. lol.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 21:58   Link #6
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Woot. Kinokuniya NY just found vols 2 & 3 for me, and they're on the way here. Looking forward to finding out what happens now.

Good thing, because those volumes are backordered all to heck in the usual places I'd buy them from online JP bookstores. But that's not too surprising, considering that that's usually what happens when a property gets turned into an anime.
Old 2009-03-01, 09:37   Link #7
TrueKnight

Dude, if you have the time please at least make a summary on each of the volumes. There're tons of rabid Felli x Fon-fon fans (me included) want to know how their relationship progresses in Missing Mail. Oh...ultra bishoujo Felli. >.>
Old 2009-03-03, 23:51   Link #8
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Well, I got my copies of Missing Mail vols. 2 & 3 today. I've had a chance to read volume 2, and I'm about halfway through volume 3. Great thing about shoujo manga is that with the giant pictures, there's not much in the way of giant walls o' text to slow you down.

Spoiler for This is a summary of volume 2:

I'll post a summary of Vol. 3 some other time.

Major differences-- there's are a lot of characters missing in this manga. It's not just mail that's missing, it's the Queen, the other Heaven Blades... a lot of stuff, actually. Some of the plot elements are switched around a bit, but the major stuff is all there. It's just a matter of the details being reworked.

And the art is positively awesome. Shoujo Felli FTW. The color inside cover of volume 2 alone is worth the 580 yen for the book, but the back jacket drawing of Felli is even better.
Old 2009-03-04, 01:21   Link #9
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious
Well, I got my copies of Missing Mail vols. 2 & 3 today. I've had a chance to read volume 2, and I'm about halfway through volume 3. Great thing about shoujo manga is that with the giant pictures, there's not much in the way of giant walls o' text to slow you down.

Spoiler for This is a summary of volume 2:
Wow. Dude, this is unreal, awesome and perfect bedtime stories. Can’t believe you actually posted a whole freaking detailed summary where I thought it’d be just a paragraph of two. Thanks a lot for the detailed and comprehensive summary including explanations in some parts.

Missing Mail is truly a gem for Felli x Fon-fon fans in its own right.

Quote:
I'll post a summary of Vol. 3 some other time.

Major differences-- there's are a lot of characters missing in this manga. It's not just mail that's missing, it's the Queen, the other Heaven Blades... a lot of stuff, actually. Some of the plot elements are switched around a bit, but the major stuff is all there. It's just a matter of the details being reworked.

And the art is positively awesome. Shoujo Felli FTW. The color inside cover of volume 2 alone is worth the 580 yen for the book, but the back jacket drawing of Felli is even better.
Take your time dude, take your time.

So far Missing Mail is about character developments, but seems all the major stuff are still present (like Kallian’s patriotism) with some additional information, such as Zuellni had around 60,000 citizens.
Old 2009-03-04, 01:33   Link #10
cynicalicious
I like pie.

The thing is, it's hard to summarize it in just a couple of grafs. It was easier to just sit there with the book and summarize the whole thing in a few pages. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

We know that Zuellni has 60,000 citizens from the anime/books, too, BTW.

I'll say this about Missing Mail, however. As much as the Felli x Fon-Fon relationship gets played up, the other three main interests also loom large, especially Leerin, whose letters keep showing up throughout the manga. But there's a lot of emphasis given to Felli. Maybe it's because the mangaka likes drawing her. Who knows?

But yeah, the Grendan characters don't show up at all. It's mostly the folks in the 17th (with very little Harley and not much Sharnid), the other 3 girls, the SCP.... Leerin through her letters... and that's really about it. There are a lot of "extras" who show up, but they're forgettable.

Then again, I understand why. The manga comes out with one chapter every 2 months, so it has to be sparse. If you start introducing a hojillion characters, you'll never finish the story. On the upside, this means that it'll resolve without a lot of excess crap in it.

Also, just FYI, the series hardly ends with volume 3.
Old 2009-03-04, 23:01   Link #11
TrueKnight

I see no appreciation for this series yet....so maybe I’ll begin.

For those of you who are new viewers and CSR fans, Missing Mail is a spin-off of the original CSR series set in some alternate universe. The main character is still Layfon, however for plot, it focuses more on the interactions between Layfon and the girls, especially Felli Loss, without of course, disregarding the role Nina or Leerin, because they also had screen time. The overall plot from the original are still there, and some are better explained than the anime (of which when this is posted, is up to episode 8 subbed).

This good summary sums it up,

Quote:
I'll say this about Missing Mail, however. As much as the Felli x Fon-Fon relationship gets played up, the other three main interests also loom large, especially Leerin, whose letters keep showing up throughout the manga. But there's a lot of emphasis given to Felli. Maybe it's because the mangaka likes drawing her. Who knows?

But yeah, the Grendan characters don't show up at all. It's mostly the folks in the 17th (with very little Harley and not much Sharnid), the other 3 girls, the SCP.... Leerin through her letters... and that's really about it. There are a lot of "extras" who show up, but they're forgettable.

Then again, I understand why. The manga comes out with one chapter every 2 months, so it has to be sparse. If you start introducing a hojillion characters, you'll never finish the story. On the upside, this means that it'll resolve without a lot of excess crap in it.

Also, just FYI, the series hardly ends with volume 3.

Now for the art itself, it is shoujouish considering the mangaka probably female, but in return we have an ultra bishoujo Felli, Leerin and Nina so its definitely an eye candy.

So far up until this post is submitted, up to 5 chapters have been scanlated, 6 if you includes chapter 0. You can view the scanlations here,

http://www.onemanga.com/Chrome_Shell..._Missing_Mail/

And mangafox also has them. So happy reading.
Old 2009-03-05, 08:46   Link #12
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
I don't know but somehow no matter how much work the artist killed in Felli she not changed much(somehow i think the artist have more skill drawing short haired girls...Nina became a whole other person in terms of looks...not to mention Narki!!!)
Layfon's personality dragged down to the level of a high school boy's(at least he pays more attention to women)...not to mention that Felli has little problem showing her emotions.
Not to mention some other things...It's much more peacefull than the original.
Interesting...
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 10:55   Link #13
TrueKnight

Layfon is definitely emo in this one. But the bishoujoness of Felli definitely makes up for it. Overall I like the girls designs much more in this one, especially Felli and Nina. Bishoujo goddesses lol.
Old 2009-03-05, 11:25   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

From what all you guys are saying, i definitely can't wait for the 2nd volume to be translated.
Old 2009-03-06, 23:52   Link #15
Redlar

Well, they're waiting for Kinokuniya/other importer to get the stuff in stock so they can scan raws, so...
Redlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 01:49   Link #16
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I got my books from Kinokuniya NYC last week. They said it would take 2-3 weeks, it took 4 days. Weird.

I have to say, I really dig the artwork in this series... except maybe the way they draw Meichi and Naruki. Meichi just looks way too weepy, and Naruki's eyes are too small and too far apart. Mifi looks better in this version, though, and Nina and of course Felli look great.

Anyway, here's the summary of the first half of volume 3. I'll do the summary for part two later. It's a new storyline. This one finishes up the storyline from volume 2.

Spoiler for Missing Mail Vol. 3 part one Summary:
Old 2009-03-07, 02:42   Link #17
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
... Did it occur to me that Missing Mail somehow follows the anime/novel/whichever is related only with some differences? Looks like Secret Side is the actual alternate story since Secret Side started out nothing like what we have known so far...

By the way, thanks Cynicalicious! Man that's a lot of plus points indeed.
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 06:02   Link #18
TrueKnight

Cynicalicous strikes again, delivering us Felli fans great amount of justice.

Thanks yet again for the time and well detailed summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynocalicious
I got my books from Kinokuniya NYC last week. They said it would take 2-3 weeks, it took 4 days. Weird.

I have to say, I really dig the artwork in this series... except maybe the way they draw Meichi and Naruki. Meichi just looks way too weepy, and Naruki's eyes are too small and too far apart. Mifi looks better in this version, though, and Nina and of course Felli look great.

Anyway, here's the summary of the first half of volume 3. I'll do the summary for part two later. It's a new storyline. This one finishes up the storyline from volume 2.

Spoiler for Missing Mail Vol. 3 part one Summary:
I just shit bricks, so many awesomeness. It’s a dream come true for Fon-fon x Felli and to my biggest surprise Fon-fon stepped up so hardcore in this one much more than anime massacring the whole bugs. They portrayed Kallian, his councils and all Zuellni’s soldiers shock and awe on Fon-fon’s sheer strength display in a more dramatic scale, which is awesome.

I’d be shedding tears if no one pick this up and scanlated.
Old 2009-03-07, 06:36   Link #19
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
With that summary i would be happy even with the raws...
Every scene has much more emotion...I still not certain that it's realy a "Felli manga", but perhaps it have a huge focus on Felli. Perhaps we're only at Vol 3 and at the time of ep 5...
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 06:41   Link #20
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Cynicalicous strikes again, delivering us Felli fans great amount of justice.

Thanks yet again for the time and well detailed summary.

I just shit bricks, so many awesomeness. It’s a dream come true for Fon-fon x Felli and to my biggest surprise Fon-fon stepped up so hardcore in this one much more than anime massacring the whole bugs. They portrayed Kallian, his councils and all Zuellni’s soldiers shock and awe on Fon-fon’s sheer strength display in a more dramatic scale, which is awesome.

I’d be shedding tears if no one pick this up and scanlated.
A "fan" gift towards the other fans, indeed!

Considering Missing Mail is of the shoujo demography... or at least, looks shoujo to me... there's no way a shoujo manga won't have a pairing, right?
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen