AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-28, 03:46   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 594 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Man, oh man.... if you thought last chapter was crazy enough, Oda really pulled out all the stops for this one! In fact, things are so insane right now that I have trouble accessing AP again (and not ot mention that many of the spoiler pics haven't loaded properly )! Anyway, here's what I've been able to gather:

-Chapter title is "Message". Splash page has Garp and Sengoku.

-The newsapers confirm that Luffy invaded Marineford with Rayleigh and Jinbei.

-Sengoku resigns from his position as fleet admiral of the marines. Who takes his place.....? Why, none other than admiral Aokiji(!!! :O). BTW, looks like Garp intends to retire, as well.

-It's revealed that the commander of the WG's armed forces is freaking FORMER FLEET ADMIRAL KONG. Also, it looks like the 5 elders are hlding another conference, as well about Luffy and about finding some new Shichibukai candidates from the New World......

-Coby is in an infirmary, where the doctor there confirms that he's awakened the ability to use Haki. The doctor also confirms that marines with the rank of VA and above can ALL use Haki, as well. Meanwhile, it seems that Smoker is talking to the newly appointed fleet admiral about a request to be stationed at a New World outpost....

-Apparently, we've got some scenes of some of the supernovas raising some hell in the New World. It turns out that Hawkins kills the pirate Brownbeard (noooo ), Capone seems to get caught up in some dark sphere that seems to be Blackbeard's power (again, nooooo ), Urouge arrives at some stormy island where an old lady offers him an umbrella, and Kidd is kicking some ass, as well. It also looks like he too, reads the news about Luffy in the paper.....

-We get reaction shots from all of the Straw-Hats as they read about Luffy invading Marineford. Apparently, he went there, hijacked a marine vessel, sailed around the island once, and rang a bell 16 times in order to send a message to his crew (as well as laying down a bouquet, obviously for his brother....). It also seems that everyone but Zoro managed to understand what the message meant.....

Man, this is an absolutely insane chapter! So much info packed here..... marines using Haki, Kong being a government big-shot (something I predicted when we first heard about him last year ), Aokiji taking Sengoku's place (I wonder how many people are disappointed that Akainu didn't get the spot? ), Supernova shenanigans, and Luffy sending a message to his crew. My guess is that the bell-ringing is meant to indicate just how long Luffy will be away training with Rayleigh before reuniting with his crew back at Sabaody (so around 16 weeks or months, perhaps)? It now seems more likely than ever that the timeskip is going to happen.....

BTW, gotta love that pic of Luffy being surrounded by Kuja chicks.

Well, it shouldn't be too much longer until the full chapter comes out so we can better absorb all this info......

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-07-28 at 04:16.
Old 2010-07-28, 03:47   Link #2
andy

Yes this chapter has a crazy amount of info in it.
Old 2010-07-28, 03:53   Link #3
marvelB

Man, I was really hoping that Brownbeard would end up being a major antagonist for Luffy's crew, but I guess that was not to be. I'm also rather disappointed that Capone seems to have been taken out of the picture, but I kinda figured from the start that not all of the supernovas would be able to complete their journeys.....

But man, Kong looks freaking badass from that one partial pic of him. I really can't wait to see some action from that guy. I also wonder how Akainu feels about Aokiji outranking him....

The only disappointment I have about this chapter (aside from the stuff about Capone and Brownbeard) is that we haven't heard anything about Buggy yet. Did he really get offered a Shichibukai position.....?

Edit: Okay, I updated the summary slightly. Looks like Garp wants to retire as well, and yeah, it definitely looks like it was Blackbeard who took out Capone.....
Old 2010-07-28, 04:01   Link #4
Gin
*Artist

Finally Admiral donkey Kong has made another appearance.

Is it possible that the 16 rings will apply to us manga readers as well? (As in, 16 more chapter until a reunion)
Old 2010-07-28, 04:05   Link #5
marvelB

Updated the summary a little more. Man, it's pretty touching to see Luffy go to Marineford to pay his respects to Ace, as well as send his crew a message.....
Old 2010-07-28, 04:06   Link #6
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Zorro has a bad sense of direction. 16 bell message can mean to meet in grove 16?
Old 2010-07-28, 04:15   Link #7
marvelB

^Zoro has the vivrecard to point him in the right direction, so I don't think it's necessary for him to remember the grove number.....
Old 2010-07-28, 04:23   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

hey guys, I'm sorry, but AP went down, and I couldn't continue my usual work there.
So I took myself to OneManga forums to continue.

Here's my summary, based on the partial pics downloaded, as well as the summary from the spoiler provider (who provided the summary before the pics were posted)

Spoiler for chapter summary:

Oh, and ohana just dropped off more info. I'll add these in as well.
Quote:
From ohana's summary....

Sengoku and Garp resigned from their position, but Kong asked them to keep their title at least, and stay in the marine.
Sengoku agrees, says he wants to recommend Aokiji as the next Fleet Admiral.

ohana also says it's an old man approaching Urouge, asking if he wants an umbrella.

The first half of Grandline is referred to as "Paradise" by those in the New World.

Also, Brownbeard pulled out a knife when Hawkins says his fortune
He was most likely taken out by Hawkins.

ohana also says there's no preview message for next week. (hmm...)

The meaning of the bell is explained by Killer.
Normally, you ring 8 times at the end of the year.
Then 8 times again at the start of the year.
Ringing the bell total of 16 times is a traditon of the marines.
In other words... the bell is a symbol of ending and starting of an era.

Last edited by aohige; 2010-07-28 at 05:15.
Old 2010-07-28, 05:13   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Luffy invading Marineford again is totally crazy. I loved the fact he didn't come here for revenge, but simply to pay his respect to Ace.

Aokiji taking Sengoku's place is good news, I guess. When you think about it, it makes sense for him to be chosen, he's the most cool-headed (no pun intended) of the three admirals. I doubt Kizaru was even considered, he's just way too loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Man, I was really hoping that Brownbeard would end up being a major antagonist for Luffy's crew, but I guess that was not to be. I'm also rather disappointed that Capone seems to have been taken out of the picture, but I kinda figured from the start that not all of the supernovas would be able to complete their journeys.....
I'm not surprised one bit Brownbeard was taken down so quickly, he had "fodder" written all over his face. Besides, there is only room for one "Beard" in the new world

Thanks a lot for the detailed summary, aohige.
Old 2010-07-28, 05:38   Link #10
Kallen4life

so is Aokiji confirmed or just proposed as FA ? I would think the Gorousei would recommend Akainu after his display

Quote:
the commander of the WG's armed forces
Quote:
World Government Commander-in-Chief
what is this exactly ? lower then a FA ?

CRAZY !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-07-28, 05:46   Link #11
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
so is Aokiji confirmed or just proposed as FA ? I would think the Gorousei would recommend Akainu after his display

what is this exactly ? lower then a FA ?
No, Sengoku recommended him as the next FA, doesn't mean he'll get it.
And WG Commander in Chief is higher rank than FA.
Kong oversees ALL the armed forces of the WG, including the Marine, 7 Warlords, and Cipher Pol.
Old 2010-07-28, 05:56   Link #12
Kallen4life

Quote:
And WG Commander in Chief is higher rank than FA.
Kong oversees ALL the armed forces of the WG, including the Marine, 7 Warlords, and Cipher Pol.
wow .. hmm .. but still under the Gorousei ?

I like Aokiji, but tbh would love to see Akainu as FA
Old 2010-07-28, 07:41   Link #13
Nite-Wing

sooooo much info........Aokiji for fleet admiral?
Luffy hijacked a ship
Coby has haki
Old 2010-07-28, 08:01   Link #14
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
wow .. hmm .. but still under the Gorousei ?
^ And the Gorousei are under the Tenryuubito.

I swear, no manga I've ever read has managed to keep me so consistently interested except One Piece.

Ever since the chapter when Dadan knocked him across the head, I was pretty sure that Garp was going to retire. He probably couldn't bear possibly going up against Luffy after all that happened.
Coby's gonna bring the BUSINESS when he starts back training. I'd really like to see some scenes in the future with Coby and Loserface taking down some powerful New World pirates

I also agree with the previous poster; Brownbeard was expected to be fodder(at least to me)

Question though: Was Sengoku forced to step down after the Marineford incident(the Gorousei likely would insist on that, since they like to save face), or did he step down due to honor/after witnessing the coverups? I'm likely to believe the former, since he probably was exposed to cover-ups by the WG.
Old 2010-07-28, 08:13   Link #15
james0246

Kong is...interesting. I'm going to guess that the Fleet Admiral is chosen due to their hair . Sengoku's choie of Aokiji is also interesting. I would have figured he would choose Kizaru (never Akainu), but afros gotta stick together I guess...

All VAs can use their Haki...cool. Is that what seperates Smoker from a VA?

I love the fear (or at least trepidation) that Branew shows toward Rayleigh...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-28 at 08:43.
Old 2010-07-28, 08:35   Link #16
marvelB

Thanks for the additional info, aohige. I guess there's no need to update my first post (and besides, the full chapter should be out soon anyway....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm not surprised one bit Brownbeard was taken down so quickly, he had "fodder" written all over his face. Besides, there is only room for one "Beard" in the new world

I just felt that Brownbeard had too unique a design (and laugh) for him to be fodder..... but alas, them's the breaks. Oh well, at least it was a nice way to show that the scarecrow man's no joke, after all (still, I think it would've been kinda cool if we had more epic-bearded pirates show up as major enemies in the NW).

I guess the same can be said for Capone, as well. I really liked the whole mafia theme he had going, but I never expected all of the supernovas to survive the trip to the NW, anyhow. And hey, at least it was Blackbeard who took him out, rather than some random NW mook. Oh well, arrivederci, father.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
^ And the Gorousei are under the Tenryuubito.

I don't think so. When they were first introduced in the Jaya arc, the elders were clearly described as being the "world's highest authority". I don't think that puts them above or below the world nobles in status, but most likely equal. I'd also say it's most likely that Kong is pretty close to the elders in terms of status, as well.....

Also, the fact that all VAs are Haki users makes me more excited than ever to see them in action in the future (and makes me sadder that we didn't see much of them at Marineford ). I especially want to see guys like Doberman and Onigumo go all-out in a fight (and even Tsuru with her wacky wash wash fruit )! Still, even if Coby can use Haki now (don't worry Helmeppo, you'll catch up eventually), I'd still say that it'll be a good while before the fella will be able to reach admiral level.....

Edit: Speaking of Coby...... in light of the info revealed this chapter, can we finally say that Mantra's a form of Haki, now?

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-07-28 at 09:25.
Old 2010-07-28, 09:23   Link #17
t3ck
Anime Freak

Maybe the gorousei are tenryuubito. Just that they doesn't act as snobbish as the others.
Old 2010-07-28, 09:34   Link #18
Kuroyuki
Obscure Unknown

I think you can compare the Tenryuubito are comparable to the aristocracy, so they are very rich, have many privilages, but are typically not in direct control of the politics of the world.

This chapter looks great, and I agree with everyone that are saying that a timeskip is coming. I hope that Luffy gets a new outfit when he is reintroduced.

-K
Old 2010-07-28, 09:56   Link #19
noktown

Yep,we'll probably get a time skip,after all Oda did say that this is the last arc of Luffy being 18 or 19 forgot the number...
Old 2010-07-28, 10:09   Link #20
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Yep,we'll probably get a time skip,after all Oda did say that this is the last arc of Luffy being 18 or 19 forgot the number...
He should still be 17.

But dang, i can't wait for this chapter after reading that summary.
Closed Thread