Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-09-10, 02:30   Link #1021
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
I did forget about them - but mainly because XBone is not going to be there either.

I can kind of see why Sony would leave out Japan as the important areas:

1. Lack of a rival console system. WiiU isn't selling, XBone isnt there yet.
2. Fulfilling overseas orders comes first (Sony official reason, which leads to...)
3. Winning North America against XBone will pretty much guarantee them the victory for the generation (as XBone has concenrated all effort in North America)
4. Lack of JP launch titles. Somehow they havn't caught up yet, as most comes out next year, or for the Feb launch.
1. Yep the Wii U failing worst than any mainline console in the history of gaming was a boon for Sony. It's hilarious seeing Nintendo apologists on neogaf act like the Wii U is selling the same as the $600 ps3. The worst month the $600 ps3 did in NPD was 81k, the Wii U has had several under 40k already.

And in Japan.. who the fuck cares about Mario Land Wii U when you can already play Mario Land 3DS on a system that's about to get Pokemon X/Y and Monster Hunter 4... lol?

3. If American sales for 360 and ps3 where switched this gen than the ps3 outsold the Wii. America is definitely the battlefield to try to win, or at least break even in instead of being a distant 3rd like this gen.

4. Way too many cross gen titles for ps4... yakuza, dynasty warriors, guilty gear... I'm still worried about its Japanese games. Though I guess WWS will announce a few games @ TGS, if people noticed Sony announced nothing new for the PS4 @ this conference.. so I expect Hot Shots Golf Ps4 as well as whatever Sony Japan and From Software are working on....

Oh and TLG... lol.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 15:44   Link #1022
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Both Sony and Microsoft have limits on pre-order numbers to ensure that there will be units on retail shelves at launch. I'd imagine that at least 30% are held back for this reason.
I'm sure that Sony and Microsoft will also want to save some systems for Black Friday as well (unless you're including those systems with the 30% that's being held back).
Old 2013-09-13, 16:42   Link #1023
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Europe has been Playstation territory since the PSX days.
Wrong. The Wii and the Xbox 360 were the kings here until recently. It's only last year that people got tired of their Xbox 360 and started buying PlayStation 3s.
Old 2013-09-13, 17:31   Link #1024
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Wrong. The Wii and the Xbox 360 were the kings here until recently. It's only last year that people got tired of their Xbox 360 and started buying PlayStation 3s.
Not so. Sales numbers on Europe this generation were split about 50/50 between the 360 and the PS3 with individual countries swinging one way or another (Portugal for example has about 2/3 of the market for the PS3 while the UK apparently had a very strong 360 share). I'm not familiar with the Belgiun market personally but I'll take your word for it that the 360 outsold the PS3.

I'm ignoring the Wii numbers since they aren't actually relevant. Yes the Wii outsold every other system this past generation and yet the Attach rate (number of games bought per household) for the system was so low that it's not really relevant for anyone but Nintendo since first party games drove most of the sales there.
Old 2013-09-13, 23:56   Link #1025
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance

Quote:
PlayStation 4 is currently around 50 per cent faster than its rival Xbox One. Multiple high-level game development sources have described the difference in performance between the consoles as “significant” and “obvious.”

Our contacts have told us that memory reads on PS4 are 40-50 per cent quicker than Xbox One, and its ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) is around 50 per cent faster. One basic example we were given suggested that without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One. “Xbox One is weaker and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM,” concluded one developer.

Microsoft is aware of the problem and, having recently upped the clock speed of Xbox One, is working hard to close the gap on PS4, though one developer we spoke to downplayed the move. “The clock speed update is not significant, it does not change things that much,” he said. “Of course, something is better than nothing.”
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676989
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 00:50   Link #1026
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

It's even funnier that MS respond to that article

I think it's better they just keep silent until the launch date.

About the PS4, not only it's powerful, I'm glad to see Sony went out of their way to support low-middle size developers now. Hopefully we can get the glorious PS2 period back.
Old 2013-09-14, 08:55   Link #1027
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
It's even funnier that MS respond to that article

I think it's better they just keep silent until the launch date.

About the PS4, not only it's powerful, I'm glad to see Sony went out of their way to support low-middle size developers now. Hopefully we can get the glorious PS2 period back.
I love how the first few posts completely trash MS's response.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:03   Link #1028
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

At this point I only fear that MS might force 3rd parties to make PS4 releases match Xb1 in performance. That might appear far fetched and "too evil", but at this point I can believe anything.
Old 2013-09-14, 09:08   Link #1029
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

"The PS4 is better because of all these reasons and numbers and technical terms that you can quantify."

"The Xbox One is better because it's too difficult for you to understand so trust us when we say so."
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:39   Link #1030
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
At this point I only fear that MS might force 3rd parties to make PS4 releases match Xb1 in performance. That might appear far fetched and "too evil", but at this point I can believe anything.
Actually, in that link. There was a unanimous gaming developers who said that they would do that.
Quote:
One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.
If you read the comments on that link......there are a lot of people really piss and asking who this anonymous gaming developer is so that they could avoid them. I am one of them, a gaming developer purposely making a game bad only means they got money from Microsoft and are willing to slap us, the gamers, in the face. They forget that we the gamers decide which games will be a success which can result in the gaming developer losing he or she's job or keeping it.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:54   Link #1031
GDB

If they actually thought that, then why are they so willing to make superior versions of games for PS360 but make a shitty version for the Wii/WiiU? As you said, it's because Nintendo isn't paying them like Microsoft is.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 09:59   Link #1032
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If they actually thought that, then why are they so willing to make superior versions of games for PS360 but make a shitty version for the Wii/WiiU? As you said, it's because Nintendo isn't paying them like Microsoft is.
Nintendo doesn't have the power to force developers to do things. Microsoft can. Microsoft can blackmail more easily than Nintendo, who have trouble getting third party support at all.
Old 2013-09-14, 10:51   Link #1033
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
At the end of the day the PS3 has outsold the 360 in Europe and will outsell the Wii when all is said and done, probably by next x-mas, Gt6, plus 2 more CODs and 2 more FIFAs and another price drop will do that. (And the 360 will go past the Wii this xmas in America)

Ps3 is about 7 mil in front of 360 in Europe, they didn't outsell it by 7 million in the last few years. Japan + Europe where the main factors in the ps3 even getting anywhere near the 360 after the beatdown MS gave Sony in America.

Still no console has come close to what the PS2 did in Europe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Has nothing to do with that, making a game for 2 near equal systems (PS360) is easy compared to doing the same but making another significantly downgraded version (Wii) or another that's better in some areas but worse in others (Wii U). Not to mention that the games sell much worse on the Nintendo systems, see COD. I remember @ launch Black OPs had like 4k people online... which is a joke compared to what the pS360 was doing, for the first "equal" version of cod nintendo systems had got, that was pathetic.

And yeah once again this gen it's going to be much easier to multiplat just xbone and ps4 and ignore the far weaker and differently designed/architect on the Wii U. And the Wii U's sales are an absolute joke, worse than the Dreamcast before it got discontinued.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 11:07   Link #1034
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Nintendo doesn't have the power to force developers to do things. Microsoft can. Microsoft can blackmail more easily than Nintendo, who have trouble getting third party support at all.
Though Sony is a bigger monster. Sony and Microsoft are like the respective Godzilla and Mothra. I doubt any gaming company would want to be on the bad side of either company, rather, play it safe and stay neutral.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 15:42   Link #1035
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
"The PS4 is better because of all these reasons and numbers and technical terms that you can quantify."

"The Xbox One is better because it's too difficult for you to understand so trust us when we say so."
You forgot one! "PC MASTER RACE!"

Quote:
Too add on that. Nintendo has always been in the dick department. They really don't like relaying on other studios to make games for them. Trying to get a Dev-kit to start with is expensive and time consuming. Nintendo is finally running into the same problem Sony's had for awhile now. They're selling at a loss. They are pretty much forced to let other developers make games for them. But heres the catch. A lot of developers don't give a rat's ass for nintendo. The Wii U hasn't sold enough consoles and most people don't even know the difference between a Wii or a Wii U. The Wii U isn't kid friendly either, once a kid drops it its toast. Not to mention all your games from your account is stuck onto that console. Getting them back is a battle for Nintendo customer service. We all know how that turns out... . Nintendo pretty much screwed themselves over into a corner. The only real life line they have is their portable gaming department, and now they finally noticed "3D" isn't big at all. Microsoft has enough money, lawyers and a fanbase to warrant whatever the hell they want if you want to use their dev kit.

As expensive as "backwards compatibility" the fact the Playstation doesn't have it is pretty lame. I mean its basically telling you need to buy a PS3 if you want to play PS3 games. They'll probably be doing that digital download crap, but lets face it. Memory capacity is freaking small.

You should get a PS4 if you like eastern titles. Mainly JRPGS.
You'll get a XBOX if you like western titles mainly shooters.
But the fact Sony is delaying it in their own home country is pretty funny. Alienating your own user base is usually a call for financial suicide.
Old 2013-09-14, 16:02   Link #1036
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Alienating your own user base is usually a call for financial suicide.
It's actually a different message: it's showing just how irrelevant the Japanese home console market is these days. How many consoles are in the competition over there for next gen? The One is out from the get go even more than the 360 was and the Wii U is struggling in Japan almost as bad as it is on the rest of the world. Sony has that market down pat, better to get systems out onto the markets that may still swing one way or the other (US/EU) and wait for the Japanese developers to step up to the plate with games than to add a market with no noteworthy competition to an already hectic release schedule.
Old 2013-09-14, 18:19   Link #1037
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

True. XBox One will do terrible in Japan, and the Wii U is likely to never do even decent in Japan. PS4 will be the only console in Japan to take off. Really, the only platforms that will eat into PS4 market share will be 3DS and PSV (and likely the 3DS successor, whenever that releases).
Old 2013-09-14, 18:23   Link #1038
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Not so. Sales numbers on Europe this generation were split about 50/50 between the 360 and the PS3 with individual countries swinging one way or another (Portugal for example has about 2/3 of the market for the PS3 while the UK apparently had a very strong 360 share). I'm not familiar with the Belgiun market personally but I'll take your word for it that the 360 outsold the PS3.
I see. That's very interesting. Thanks.

Doesn't change the core of my argument, though, which is that Europe isn't PlayStation territory.
Quote:
I'm ignoring the Wii numbers since they aren't actually relevant. Yes the Wii outsold every other system this past generation and yet the Attach rate (number of games bought per household) for the system was so low that it's not really relevant for anyone but Nintendo since first party games drove most of the sales there.
Yet the Wii's success is what drove Sony and Microsoft to release their own toys to appeal to the casual market. It doesn't really matter if the attach rate is low when 1) the Wii console itself turns a profit and 2) there are so many Wii owners that software sales add up to big numbers anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
At the end of the day the PS3 has outsold the 360 in Europe and will outsell the Wii when all is said and done, probably by next x-mas, Gt6, plus 2 more CODs and 2 more FIFAs and another price drop will do that. (And the 360 will go past the Wii this xmas in America)
Considering the Wii's massive sales numbers, I find that hard believe.
Old 2013-09-14, 19:16   Link #1039
defki

What massive sales numbers are you talking about? They are not massive.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 19:35   Link #1040
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It's actually a different message: it's showing just how irrelevant the Japanese home console market is these days. How many consoles are in the competition over there for next gen? The One is out from the get go even more than the 360 was and the Wii U is struggling in Japan almost as bad as it is on the rest of the world. Sony has that market down pat, better to get systems out onto the markets that may still swing one way or the other (US/EU) and wait for the Japanese developers to step up to the plate with games than to add a market with no noteworthy competition to an already hectic release schedule.
If you alienate your market. There won't be a market to sell too. That's good news for me. It means more than anything a developer would more than likely remake a game for PC if there is only one console to sell too. The one underlying problem I've seen with playstation is the games people who own a playstation want to play NEVER GET A NA PUBLISHER. Meaning this will overtime kill your fanbase aboard. Than you have those publisher who only sell specific things to specific regions in Europe. The reason why the PS3 sold well to start with was because it had a BD player. When BD first came out those players where expensive the PS3 was a cheap alternative. The PS4 doesn't have that edge.

The underlying problem with a Playstation is the games made for the playstation very rarely make it out of Japan. Other than the ones known to the rest of the world they never make it out of the market. Its true some games are console-only, but Japan has a greater market of games especially those Anime to game adaptions that could probably sell aboard especially since Anime is starting to become mainstream. The underlying problem is Sony doesn't want to invest money to get people to buy these games. They rather the developer do it. In the long run consoles don't make jack. They all sale for a loss.

Sony has their line of tvs, laptops merchandise to make up for the loss. Microsoft has their over priced software and whatever the hell their making to compete with apple. The loss for this generation is probably less since they significantly scaled back, but its still a loss. Seems like nintendo is probably going to die off from the console race and stand its ground in the portable industry. Nintendo is just too archaic. The hard fisted only games made by our company can be on our console bit them in the ass. That and the fact people aren't really into 3D. The WII U is a glorified handheld with its lack of games. If you look at games published for the vita and the 3ds. All of not most LN game adaptions are for the psp or the vita. 3Ds has it cornered in the (bankrupt) atlus side of things, fire emblem (but Advance wars is dead) and pokemon? Nintendo is trying to wash the image that its only for kids, but its not working. Nintendo has to compete with causal games you can find on facebook or even iPhones. It amazes me how I can see a 4 year old with a iphone or a ipad. Nintendo living in the bushido way.