I disagree with you all.

You wish to make a living by burglary?
Old 2014-09-04, 15:41   Link #34682
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Last True Hermit

Ok. I am impressed. I wish to be an Hermit now. I wish I had that guy's skillz.
Go attend DEFCON/HOPE.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-09-04, 19:29   Link #34683
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that would be the Vatican.
By land mass: Vatican. By population: Pitcairn Islands
Old 2014-09-05, 01:49   Link #34684
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

'Burn Isis Flag Challenge' Goes Viral in Arab World

Quote:
A social media viral campaign has sprung up in the Arab world that involves burning the Isis flag.

The trend started after three Lebanese youths posted pictures of them burning the flag associated with the militant group, also known as Islamic State, in the middle of Sassine Square in Beirut.

Soon afterwards, a Lebanese YouTube user uploaded a video of himself burning a flag. Similar to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in which people choose others to their do own videos, the user nominated "the whole world " to take part in the #BurnISISFlagChallenge.

The campaign soon went viral, especially in Lebanon following the beheading of one of the country's soldiers by IS.

However, some are not happy with the protest campaign and are calling for those found burning the flag to face the "sternest punishments upon them".

Lebanon's justice minister Ashraf Rifi accused the three who burnt the flag at Sassine Square of insulting Islam since their banner featured the words: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is his Prophet," written on it. Rifi said this "has nothing to do with Isis and its terrorist approach," reported Asharq Al-Awsat.

Nabil Naqoula, a member of Lebanon's Change and Reform parliamentary group, dismissed Rifi's suggestions the group intended to insult Islam.

He said: "The youths who burned the Isis flag did not mean to insult the Islamic religion", adding that "this flag does not represent Islam in the slightest".

US president Barack Obama and prime minister David Cameron have said they will use the Nato summit in Wales to discuss with other world leaders, especially from the Middle east, how they can "squeeze out" IS.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-09-05, 03:57   Link #34685
Se7enSword
Swordsman Extraordinaire

Korean university gets Playstation class

Quote:
Sony has joined forces with Korea’s Sangmyung University Seoul campus to offer a full-on course that goes well beyond informing select IT students about the company’s new console.

While the transformation of the classroom into a Sony show floor creates a vibe more suited for gaming trade shows or developers’ conferences, the curriculum is packed with a lot of practical information, relevant to would-be Korean developers. The course also follows a very academic format, complete with midterm and final exams.

Beginning today and running until the end of the fall semester on December 19, students will be able to attend a variety of lectures, from introducing development on Sony’s new platform to the history of console gaming. Also scheduled are lectures on indie games, game marketing, game graphics, game music, and other development fields.
http://www.gamesinasia.com/korean-un...rketing-stunt/
Old 2014-09-05, 05:50   Link #34686
GuZidi

First of all, there is no doubt that Hong Kong suffered a setback, but it is not doomed.

Of course, the communist government in Beijing is not feeling up to a full democracy because they lack confidence of the populous opinion (which, to be fair, is easily manipulable and Beijing doesn't know how to play that game).

What will suffer of course would be the well being of average Hong Kongers who had to suffer from worsening living quality. Most economic benefit from the Mainland has gone to a few oligarchs who collectively own 99% of Hong Kong. Beijing is quite out of touch with the average people and that's why they don't understand why so many Hong Kongers are discontent. Beijing thinks Hong Kongers are a bunch of curmudgeons but in reality, life was indeed better pre-1997, with much higher wages, social benefit, and opportunities.

The doomsayers however are overstretching the consequences. Hong Kong would indeed become more like a Mainland city, and possibly lose all of its unique cultural appeal, but economically it would do just fine. Low taxation and lax regulation would forever support at least a regional financial hub that's attractive to banks and corporations alike. Just because the head of the government is appointed by Beijing doesn't mean the whole system would be as bad. Hong Kong, after all, is still under intense international watch and its freedom is enjoyed by a lot of Chinese, including many Beijing officials.

So basically, does Hong Kong have a bright future? NO.
Is Hong Kong doomed? NO.
What do I do as a Hong Konger? Emigrate
Old 2014-09-05, 11:13   Link #34687
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuZidi View Post
First of all, there is no doubt that Hong Kong suffered a setback, but it is not doomed.

Of course, the communist government in Beijing is not feeling up to a full democracy because they lack confidence of the populous opinion (which, to be fair, is easily manipulable and Beijing doesn't know how to play that game).

What will suffer of course would be the well being of average Hong Kongers who had to suffer from worsening living quality. Most economic benefit from the Mainland has gone to a few oligarchs who collectively own 99% of Hong Kong. Beijing is quite out of touch with the average people and that's why they don't understand why so many Hong Kongers are discontent. Beijing thinks Hong Kongers are a bunch of curmudgeons but in reality, life was indeed better pre-1997, with much higher wages, social benefit, and opportunities.

The doomsayers however are overstretching the consequences. Hong Kong would indeed become more like a Mainland city, and possibly lose all of its unique cultural appeal, but economically it would do just fine. Low taxation and lax regulation would forever support at least a regional financial hub that's attractive to banks and corporations alike. Just because the head of the government is appointed by Beijing doesn't mean the whole system would be as bad. Hong Kong, after all, is still under intense international watch and its freedom is enjoyed by a lot of Chinese, including many Beijing officials.

So basically, does Hong Kong have a bright future? NO.
Is Hong Kong doomed? NO.
What do I do as a Hong Konger? Emigrate
I agree with the general gist of what you said - I also think that despite not having a bright future, Hong Kong is not doomed either. But at least I think there's going to be a sea change in the political climate. The democratic camp is now basically going for an all-or-nothing showdown with Beijing and kind of forcing everyone to take sides. If they fail, which is quite likely, the political sides are going to be even more divided, with some people in the democratic camp being disappointed and discouraged withdrawing completely from politics, while the others decide to turn to even more radical means. So I think things are going to be much more messy, though knowing how it is here, business can go on as usual.

And yeah, the thought of emigration also crosses my mind frequently too. Though conversely, the option to emigrate as a fall back option does encourage present bolder action - for me it's kind of like, let's push the limit and try for the best this time, and if it doesn't work, leave. Though I think it's a bit selfish to think like this.
Old 2014-09-05, 11:17   Link #34688
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
And yeah, the thought of emigration also crosses my mind frequently too. Though conversely, the option to emigrate as a fall back option does encourage present bolder action - for me it's kind of like, let's push the limit and try for the best this time, and if it doesn't work, leave. Though I think it's a bit selfish to think like this.
so you guys are going to gamble, if it turns into a big mess, then leave how courageous.
Old 2014-09-05, 12:50   Link #34689
LoveYouSaber

Yeah I did note that was a bit selfish. But on the other hand, I don't really mean that just because we have the option to leave, we're going to make a big mess and then let everyone else suffer the consequences while we laugh from afar.

Conversely it's more like if there isn't anyone in Hong Kong that's willing to demand democracy and the democratic movement doesn't get much supporters, then I might as well leave the place since I don't want to force my opinion on others. You can argue that the more courageous way would be staying behind and fighting though.
Old 2014-09-05, 14:29   Link #34690
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Now this is democracy.

Lufthansa flights grounded in new pilots' strike

Quote:
Lufthansa, Germany's biggest airline, said it will cancel 200 flights Friday, affecting 25,000 passengers, as a consequence of a pilots' strike to be held later in the day.

The pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit has called for a six-hour walk-out between 5:00 pm and 11:00 pm (1500-2100 GMT) over plans to change the airline's early retirement policy.

The industrial action is focussing on the country's biggest airport in Frankfurt and will ground most domestic and regional flights.

Lufthansa said individual flights would already be cancelled as early as 1:30 pm (1130 GMT) and most flights from 4:00 pm (1400 GMT).

The airline promised to try and limit the impact of the strike for customers.

Lufthansa pilots can currently take paid early retirement from the age of 55. They are fighting a plan by the airline to raise the minimum age and to involve pilots in the financing of their pensions.

Last Friday more than 100 flights were cancelled at several of Germany's main airports as pilots of Lufthansa's low-cost airline Germanwings also walked out.

And on Monday, a union for German train drivers called for a three-hour walkout to turn up the pressure on management of the national rail operator Deutsche Bahn in gridlocked wage talks.
$1 Trillion Trove of Rare Minerals Revealed Under Afghanistan

Looks like Afghanistan needs more "democracy" now.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-09-05 at 15:35.
Old 2014-09-06, 06:13   Link #34691
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
so you guys are going to gamble, if it turns into a big mess, then leave how courageous.
How about all those wealthy Chinese families who escape to Australia for the fresh air and clean water? They are moving into my neighbourhood and we have a small property bubble right now. If the families wanted to they could have tried to fight for new environmental laws in China. But no, they left for greener pastures, and I can't blame them.
Old 2014-09-06, 07:04   Link #34692
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Plane carrying Americans reaches Dubai after being diverted to Iran
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0H026120140906

U.S. confirms death of al Shabaab leader Godane in Somalia strike
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0H01OO20140905
Old 2014-09-06, 14:18   Link #34693
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Listen to the name of the reporter speaking at the end.

Old 2014-09-06, 16:07   Link #34694
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What about it?
Old 2014-09-06, 16:16   Link #34695
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What about it?
The reporter was Foley, the first reporter who got beheaded. Apparently he came a long way from reporting on the Mideast.

Old 2014-09-07, 01:08   Link #34696
AnimeFan188

Russia's Putin One-Ups Obama In Estonia:

"Less than 48 hours after President Obama vowed to "defend Estonia," Russian
goons kidnapped an Estonian cop to demonstrate just what U.S. red lines are
worth. Any questions as to the nature of the threat?

The abduction of Internal Security Service officer Eston Kohver from Estonia was no
ordinary criminal act.

The Russians who took him jammed police radios, tossed a smoke grenade, seized
Kohver and marched him into Russia at gunpoint. They then falsely claimed that he
was caught spying on Russian soil."

See:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...a-weakness.htm
Old 2014-09-07, 01:12   Link #34697
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Russia's Putin One-Ups Obama In Estonia:

"Less than 48 hours after President Obama vowed to "defend Estonia," Russian
goons kidnapped an Estonian cop to demonstrate just what U.S. red lines are
worth. Any questions as to the nature of the threat?

The abduction of Internal Security Service officer Eston Kohver from Estonia was no
ordinary criminal act.

The Russians who took him jammed police radios, tossed a smoke grenade, seized
Kohver and marched him into Russia at gunpoint. They then falsely claimed that he
was caught spying on Russian soil."

See:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...a-weakness.htm
i think it is time to put a US military base in one of the Baltic states.
Old 2014-09-07, 01:22   Link #34698
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What? Like have one right up near St. Petersburg? That would go over, reeeally well.
Old 2014-09-07, 01:28   Link #34699
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
What? Like have one right up near St. Petersburg? That would go over, reeeally well.
Putins wants to play a game of chicken. Lets see how far he wants to take it.

personally i think the US should take back all the apc and assault weapons giving out to various police agency and ship them to Ukraine.
Old 2014-09-07, 01:36   Link #34700
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Didn't the Russians freak out about the bases moving to Poland and the ABM systems in Turkey and Eastern Europe? Actually moving into former Soviet states? I'm sure they would take that badly.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international