AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-09, 23:46   Link #1661
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Some good analytical reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHU View Post
I read the last few pages of this topic, and I also read some discussions about Ichigo 100% on another forum. It seems like many people don't understand the ending, why Nishino won even though the story was originally set up for Toujou. Some say it was the result of of a fan poll. I don't think that's the case, it's just that story-wise, it was more natural this way. Let me explain.

When Ichigo 100 % started, its basic plot ("OMG, without glasses Toujou is beautiful") was very cliché and wasn't enough to last more than 20 chapters. If it had failed (like Ane Doki), it would have been enough for a very decent Toujou ending within such a short frame.

But it was quite funny, so it was popular enough to last. Every reader knew that a Toujou ending was a sure thing, and the glasses thing was already dying. So the author introduced another girl, Satsuki, trying to seduce Manaka. That way he would be conflicted about who to choose.

First problem: how could Manaka openly flirt with two other girls, even though he had a titular girlfriend? Nishino was sent to another high school, and after a long time of Manaka being a jerk, Nishino finally broke up with him.

Second problem: how could Satsuki compete with Toujou? It was like Toujou/Nishino: everybody knew that Toujou was supposed to win, the only difference was that Manaka didn't have to worry about taking the initiative of breaking up with someone. There was even less suspense, and as a result, no plot.

When Toujou learned that Manaka and Nishino had broken up, the manga was as good as finished. Toujou and Manaka didn't have any obstacle to confess, they were already almost lovey dovey, and they even had a movie date (when they met Misuzu). But it was still popular enough, so it had to go on, and the author had to find a way to make this interesting.

That's when Nishino is reintroduced. Toujou and Nishino's feelings are very well known to the reader, they are completely in love with Manaka. But Nishino, as the ex-girlfriend, could be a question mark. What does she think about Manaka now? Is she so casual with him because she found a new love?

From that point, the relationship between Manaka and Toujou remained exactly the same for the next 90 chapters: they share some special moments from time to time, but there was no confession, the only thing that lacked in their relationship. So there was no progress at all during a long time. Satsuki wasn't even relevant anymore.

But the author had a great opportunity with Nishino, she could create a new relationship step by step, not from scratch, but from a damaged one. Only hints were given to us about Nishino's feelings, sometimes contradictory, like when she told him she was planning to go to Paris (leaving him without her). Nishino then became the only dynamic thing in this manga, she was the plot.

During the 3 days perfect trip with Manaka, we finally learned that she was planning to get back with him. She was the one taking initiatives, but she never forced him unlike Satsuki. In the same time, Toujou did nothing, because doing something would instantly mean the end of the manga.

The first turning point was in chapter 135. Toujou then had the perfect opportunity to confess, the mood was great, they were alone, Manaka was waiting for it... But she instead told him she was planning to go to a different university. Even with the filmed confession, this trip ended with "maybe she does love me" for Manaka, when it should have been "I'm glad she loves me".

Honestly, that was for Toujou the biggest mistake of her life (even Misuzu told her before to tell him about the university after confessing). Now, Nishino was the one with all the momentum. She did confess, when Toujou was dumb enough to accept someone else as her date at the love sanctuary. Now the whole story was about the growing love between Manaka and Nishino, unlike at the beginning. It's how Toujou became history for Manaka, and it would have felt unnatural if he had chosen her even though he had no problem letting things stall between them for so long. The second turning point was in chapter 153, it cemented the fact that Toujou had already lost.

So if she lost, it's because the plot needed some expansion, and all her cards (possible mysteries about her) were already played.

Ichigo 100 % in a graph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleturbo View Post
If one was paying attention to the plot, they would notice that Aya's story she was writing with Junpei paralleled Ichigo's story. When the "story in the story" ended Junpei makes the comment "Aya ended the story as an author and (personal influence had nothing to do with it)" it was basically saying that favoritism had nothing to do with Ichigo's ending.

Kawashita said in her notes that Aya would have been the end girl had the manga ended in middle school (basically cancelled) but as the story progressed Nishino became the end girl. Nishino was likely being developed into the end girl as soon as they entered HS right along with her shift from bratty middle schooler to someone with a mature goal. Her going to a different HS wasn't her leaving the story, it was a setup to have her make a sacrifice for Junpei and for her to become a stronger person rather than just one of the "harem".
Old 2012-05-10, 00:21   Link #1662
Kazu-kun

In a romance shounen manga it's the guy who has to confess to his end-game, as it parallels with his character growth, which is the real underling theme for any romance shounen manga.

Considering that, the fact that Manaka confessed to Nishino while believing that he had no chance with Aya (as he thought she had a boyfriend) shows clearly that the author either didn't know how to write shounen romance or she did change the story in a different direction for some reason (popularity poll?) and the result wasn't so good.

This is easy to understand really. In a shounen manga the confession is meant to be an act of courage, since, like I said, it represents character growth. But Manaka's confession was, on the other hand, an act of cowardice, since he went to Nishino because he was running away from the belief that Aya had a boyfriend.

After this screw-up the author tried to patch up things by having Manaka reject Aya, to reinforce the Nishino/Manaka pairing and show that Manaka wasn't as weak anymore. It was a moot effort though, since the confession moment is the climax for this sort of story, so what you couldn't achieve at that moment is lost for good. Besides in storytelling, the best way to portray courage and character growth is through and positive action, like a confession, not a negative one, like a rejection (this is basically writing 101).

I do think a Nishino/Manaka ending might have worked if written in a different way, in a good way. They had enough chemistry going on for them at the very least. The way it was written though, it just doesn't work at all, since it's at odds with the story's most important theme.

My two cents.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-05-10 at 03:41.
Old 2012-05-10, 03:26   Link #1663
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, no. Thanks for your opinion, tho.

Old 2012-05-10, 12:37   Link #1664
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
In a romance shounen manga it's the guy who has to confess to his end-game, as it parallels with his character growth, which is the real underling theme for any romance shounen manga.

Considering that, the fact that Manaka confessed to Nishino while believing that he had no chance with Aya (as he thought she had a boyfriend) shows clearly that the author either didn't know how to write shounen romance or she did change the story in a different direction for some reason (popularity poll?) and the result wasn't so good.

This is easy to understand really. In a shounen manga the confession is meant to be an act of courage, since, like I said, it represents character growth. But Manaka's confession was, on the other hand, an act of cowardice, since he went to Nishino because he was running away from the belief that Aya had a boyfriend.

After this screw-up the author tried to patch up things by having Manaka reject Aya, to reinforce the Nishino/Manaka pairing and show that Manaka wasn't as weak anymore. It was a moot effort though, since the confession moment is the climax for this sort of story, so what you couldn't achieve at that moment is lost for good. Besides in storytelling, the best way to portray courage and character growth is through and positive action, like a confession, not a negative one, like a rejection (this is basically writing 101).

I do think a Nishino/Manaka ending might have worked if written in a different way, in a good way. They had enough chemistry going on for them at the very least. The way it was written though, it just doesn't work at all, since it's at odds with the story's most important theme.

My two cents.
I have posted your comment on another forum for some discussion. Feel free to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Yeah, no. Thanks for your opinion, tho.

Tags
drama, perverted, romance, shounen