AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-04, 02:20   Link #1
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Exclamation LucasArts closing

I heard the news on my local radio station today. It's saddening to see the old game crator and publischer go out like this.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...lucasarts.aspx
Old 2013-04-04, 02:31   Link #2
Chase

Yeah its pretty sad as i was looking to see Star Wars 1313 at E3. I think they looking for someone to pick up that title tho. They had Black Rock Studios under them too(Disney) and shut them down. I can only dream of a Split/Second 2 now.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 02:36   Link #3
Azrulnin
Cyberspace Traveller

Ah man this is bad... So there will be no more Star Wars 1313 then. A bad news for the game industry then....
Old 2013-04-04, 03:54   Link #4
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I thought its just a restructure rather than a kill switch.

They made some very fun games that I played in my earlier years (X wing, Kotor), but also invested into some rather questionable products.

Personally Star Wars is a thing of the past. Older generations of people may have gotten a chance to watch the movies (esp the originals) and get hooked by them, but newer generations may not have as much attachment to the franchise as the previous one.

Star Wars in my eyes is just a tag which tells me what type of story I am going to get, gameplay is worth a lot more to be these days.

Another thing is that after so many games and other stuff, its really hard to tell what is canon and what is not.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 06:41   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Eh, the way I see it, they're just moving it to a licensing model, being 100% publisher-based. Instead of in-house development, they license the stuff out to other game developers to build them.

In my opinion, the better Lucas Arts games are the ones where they didn't develop for it anyway. KoToR, Battlefront, Jedi Knight II...

I just hope that the Monkey Island franchise doesn't get the cut.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 08:47   Link #6
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Well Monkey Island (the newer ones) are developed by Telltale games, so I don't think they'll cut.
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 09:14   Link #7
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

It has been a long time coming.

Lucas Arts haven't put out a real title in over a decade. The last blockbuster title that stuck in my mind was the old Doom-Engine "Dark Force" with Kyp Kadaran? Gosh, has it almost 2 decades? I remember that game was hot back in....1998.

/Feel old.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 09:35   Link #8
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The animation industry here in Singapore has been buzzing about it the entire day. All 150 employees at Lucasarts SG has been laid off and this is becoming a huge problem for the animation pool that has always been overflowing.

A concept artist who taught me digital concept painting sensed the impending doom and quit Lucasarts 3 weeks earlier and joined Ubisoft.

Lots of games were made here in SG, including the Monkey Island series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 10:08   Link #9
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Not much of a loss for the gaming industry itself other than an ancient name which brings back nostalgic memories. As some pointed out, Lucasarts haven't developed anything remarkable for a long time.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 18:47   Link #10
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Not much of a loss for the gaming industry itself other than an ancient name which brings back nostalgic memories. As some pointed out, Lucasarts haven't developed anything remarkable for a long time.
Painfully true, but still it's a shame to see them go. Back at the mid to late 90s their games were quite popular and I was hard pressed to open a PC Gaming magazine without reading or seeing Lucast Arts or any one of their titles. I'll admit that I was never into the Dark Forces series ( I tried out Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2), I could never get into them. But I loved the Monkey Island series (except for 4).
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 20:24   Link #11
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I don't feel it's a big deal. Been a while since I played anything they made anyways. Will say it's too bad though if only for the good memories over the years.
Old 2013-04-09, 21:40   Link #12
Simonsy

Maybe we will finally see some games brought back finally that have been needing to be made, such as Rogue Squadron series
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 03:01   Link #13
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Some of their best games were flight simulators, which is something that aren't done anymore because no one uses joysticks anymore.

They had three World War II flight combat games with supplimental materals to the last one, and four Star Wars flight sims.

I never quite liked the Rogue Squadron games as much due to the level restrictions. The X-wing games had the problem on not being able to skip missions, or actually fail the mission and continue. That was something they allowed in the Wing Commander games. You could mess up some missions and continue on the losing path (if you and your carrier survived that is) and sometimes return to the winning path later. You could not do that in X-wing, and I think TIE Fighter. It might have been possible in X-wing Alliance, but I don't remember. I do recall that in both X-wiing vs TIE Fighter and X-wing Alliance you could make your own missions, though there were restrictions.
Old 2013-04-10, 05:23   Link #14
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

X-Wing Alliance had a linear campaign; no failure was allowed.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 05:27   Link #15
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I hope some gutsy company steps up and takes another shot at an X-wing game. Many a good hour of my childhood was spend in a cockpit.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote