AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-23, 07:21   Link #1
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Rokushin Gattai God Mars - Discussion

I thought i would start a discussion on this show as i'm finding it very interesting so far, and thought i would see what other people think about it

for those who dont know, Rokushin Gattai GodMars begain airing in 1981, and is the story of Takeru Myojin, a pilot in the elite defense force Crasher Squadron. Born on the planet Gishin, and sent to Earth as a child by the evil Emperor Zule, Takeru (aka Mars) must fight to save the planet which raised him from Zule's desire to see it destroyed on his path to universal domination. Takeru uses the robot Gaia and its five guardian robots which combine into God Mars to defeat Zule's armies. Gaia is a double-edged sword, however, and possesses a bomb tuned to Takeru's brain waves. Should Takeru die, a bomb planted inside Gaia will destroy the entire planet.
GodMars is more than just robots and aliens, though. The series places heavy emphasis on character development and storytelling, as well as developing the world and the abilities of its characters.

^___________^

Last edited by Kyoji; 2004-03-23 at 20:42.
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 09:54   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I can remember Margue was the anime idol for many girls around here -_-

Rose rocks! I love cold-blooded evil chicks
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 14:18   Link #3
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoji
Takeru uses the robot Gaia and its five guardian robots which combine into God Mars to defeat Zule's armies.
Why or why does this bring up memories of Power rangers

I need to download this, but i also need hard drive space since i'm too lazy to burn my anime to dvd.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 15:28   Link #4
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Why or why does this bring up memories of Power rangers
Eh....most other combiner robots (GoLion anyone?) and I'd say yes, but there's only one robot pilot and the other 5 robots are effectively dumbbots.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 15:36   Link #5
KBTKaiser

Damn powerful dumbbots though.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 00:23   Link #6
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Heehee I love this show when I was a kid.
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 13:06   Link #7
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Yes, I watched this show when I was a kid too.
It reminds me of another title "God Sigma" which has a better storyline and better mechas. I am wondering if there are any digital copies of this title.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 13:22   Link #8
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
Yes, I watched this show when I was a kid too.
It reminds me of another title "God Sigma" which has a better storyline and better mechas. I am wondering if there are any digital copies of this title.

SHIGUMA SHIGUMA GODO SHIGUMA *clap clap*

i havent seen any God Sigma yet....

the Mecha designs in godmars are strange, sometimes i like them, sometimes i dont really like them

the toys are all ugly though
Old 2004-03-27, 15:12   Link #9
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Allow me to admit this openly:

I really hate the robot designs in God Mars. Really, REALLY hate them. When I saw the OVA I was elated because they got to redesign Gaia (there is never a combined bot in the OVA) and it didn't look like crap anymore.

The story, as I've been told by those with far more oldskool and robot (and oldskool robot) knowledge than myself is that they got established anime people to do the character and vehicular designs (so all the ships, cars, planes, etc.), which makes sense, as those look GOOD. They left the toy company to its own devices re: the six god robots, and...well.....we can see how things ended up.

I still like the show enough to keep watching it (and work on subbing it) but it took a good 8-10 episodes to get over the robot designs.

@Sleepless: I haven't seen any God Sigma (digitally or otherwise), but I hope you stick with God Mars. The first three episodes really just set things up, ep four begins getting to the heart of the characters as well as the beginning of an advancing storyline (which gets damn cool).
Old 2004-04-25, 11:18   Link #10
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Since we've managed to get out a full two volumes now, I thought I'd attempt to rescurrect this thread to find out what peoples' opinions are now that there's been some time for character and plot development.

Therefore, your thoughts?
Old 2004-04-25, 11:37   Link #11
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Hisoka Hajime
I think God Mars is pretty awesome. Episode 8 was my favorite so far. I just really liked the feel of it. I really like everything about it, especially the predictability of the happy song playing at the end of each episode. Keep up the good work A-C!
Hisoka Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 16:50   Link #12
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka Hajime
I think God Mars is pretty awesome. Episode 8 was my favorite so far. I just really liked the feel of it. I really like everything about it, especially the predictability of the happy song playing at the end of each episode. Keep up the good work A-C!
I've been watching the show up to episode eight, now, and have already downloaded the other two episodes.

I have some mixed thoughts about the mech designs and the plot holes, but the good animation and excellent characters are keeping me hooked. The music is very good as well. If I was in a giant robot fight and that music started playing, I'd get real scared real quick.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Invoker; 2004-06-04 at 14:49.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 17:28   Link #13
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invoker
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

This is my third or fourth time going through the show (once when I watch, once when I edit, another time when I prep the QC and check timing, make fixes, and a quick check over the final encode), and while the robot designs are finally growing on me, it's not been easy.

What's really sad, though, is that the god robots were designed by the toy company and not the show designers. Hence, the planes, enemy bots, etc. all look cool while the god bots look...bad. I've no idea what the designs are like in the original manga (I've never read it but I know the anime deviates quite a bit), but I can only guess they're closer to the more streamlined OVA design (which you'll see a bit after we finish the first arc of the TV).
Old 2004-05-07, 17:56   Link #14
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
What's really sad, though, is that the god robots were designed by the toy company and not the show designers. Hence, the planes, enemy bots, etc. all look cool while the god bots look...bad. I've no idea what the designs are like in the original manga (I've never read it but I know the anime deviates quite a bit), but I can only guess they're closer to the more streamlined OVA design (which you'll see a bit after we finish the first arc of the TV).
I think I heard about that. I guess the toy companies were going for more of a "easy to make" approach than a "looks decent" approach. Oh well, that kick ass theme song more than makes up for it.

Spoiler:

*Sigh,* oh well. I'll quit complaining.

Last edited by Invoker; 2004-06-04 at 14:50.
Old 2004-05-08, 04:52   Link #15
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
I think I heard about that. I guess the toy companies were going for more of a "easy to make" approach than a "looks decent" approach. Oh well, that kick ass theme song more than makes up for it.

Spoiler:

*Sigh,* oh well. I'll quit complaining.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-08, 13:35   Link #16
ManaKnight

Yeah but in one episode Gaia travels from earth to pluto in like 5 minutes.
ManaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 13:46   Link #17
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaKnight
Yeah but in one episode Gaia travels from earth to pluto in like 5 minutes.
Yeah, the robots are capable of travelling at FTLS. The other really obvious answers to "why doesn't Gaia reside on the moon/Jupiter/insertplanethere" are:

1. Earth has bases on most of the planets/moons. You see a number of them.
2. The God Robots are programmed to return to Earth as a "home base".
3. Does it really matter? Suspend yer disbelief, man!

Truth be told, the "If Takeru dies then Earth goes kaboom!" factor goes the way of anime ammunition limits for most of the show: it's only brought up when it factors into the plot (like during the entire third arc and at peak times in the second...and the climax of the first...but I say no more)
Old 2004-05-08, 15:36   Link #18
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Quote:
Truth be told, the "If Takeru dies then Earth goes kaboom!" factor goes the way of anime ammunition limits
"[Blank] goes the way of anime ammunition limits" is my new favorite metaphor.
Old 2004-05-09, 13:13   Link #19
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
"[Blank] goes the way of anime ammunition limits" is my new favorite metaphor.
hehehe...

Of course, there's no ammunition to worry about when you use laser weapons, fists, and swords the entire time...
Old 2004-05-09, 15:17   Link #20
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Allow me to admit this openly:

I really hate the robot designs in God Mars. Really, REALLY hate them. When I saw the OVA I was elated because they got to redesign Gaia (there is never a combined bot in the OVA) and it didn't look like crap anymore.
Well you got to remember that this show is a classic from many series ago, and the design for the God Robots are pretty standard if you compare it to other Robot anime back in those years.

Take Getter Robo for example.......it's detail was not detailed and the art work for it was pretty poor back then, but as for the OVAs that are released in the recent years, although the basic design is still the same, but with the improvement on the art work, they look much better than when it was in the anime like somewhat over 20 years ago.

If God Mars was to have any newer anime to come out, may be even the other God Robots would look cooler as well....you'd never know

Quote:
The truth is the toys were aimmed for kids, and kids care about the fun of playing with the toys more than how good it look. I myself had the God Robots toys when I was a kid and it was fun playing with them.

You got to understand that:
a) toys are more about playing and usually tend to be for kids
b) for older people that care more about decent looking, they go for models/figure, which are NOT for playing......usually sololy for posing and display

Last edited by Marine-RX179; 2004-05-09 at 15:34.
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote