AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-07-06, 23:50   Link #41
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I'll like to add to this that Xamdou has actually been known about on 2ch since last year. I didn't really want to post on stuff that isn't really confirmed or announced, but there does seem to be a growing sense of resentment about BONES being posted anonymously online.

The initial comments were about how there is a ghilbi-like robot anime under development called Xamdou, and that Miyaji was the director. Then comments started getting more negative about how the director is rather unreasonable and the staff all hate him. Then it goes on to comment about how his production schedule is a mess and the uphill battle to finish the initial stages will ruin the later stages of production for the show. Finally it goes on to comment that Xamdou was supposed to be a Spring show (this was before it was even announced at TAF) but production has been delayed and they have failed to secure a slot on any station, hinting that it might even end up being released as PPV on the Playstation Network instead.

While the comments can't be verified, it was clear from the start that people posting obviously were part of the industry and had a good idea of what the show was and who was working on it. So for people that were connected to the show to go on 2ch and anonymously post about how bad the director was and how everyone hated him just seems to indicate that there is a trend of unhappiness. Whether it is limited to a few disgrunted people or being widespread at the studio, that resentment clearly exists. We have no way of knowing how deep the problem goes, but it seems to be a little worrying at the moment.

Maybe the leak was from someone that worked on Xamdou and got really mad with Miyaji? Who knows. There's a huge percentage of Xamdou details in the leak, more so than any other series in the list. Xamdou staffers and people linked to them are the ones that draw the most comments both positive and negative, so that leads me to believe whoever wrote the document had close dealings with the Xamdou staff.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 02:52   Link #42
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
EDIT: I wonder if it's possible for this thread's title to be changed, it's more than just the possibility of sequels now...
I was planning to do this

I was thinking of renaming the thread to Studio Bones and related discussion.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 03:24   Link #43
wao
OK.

Yeah, might as well I guess... Then we could use the thread for any other discussion of Bones should it ever happen (who knows, in a few months we might see the real effect of this leak)

Thanks for the info btw duckroll. 2ch comments always need a pinch of salt but I think patterns like that tend to have a real source behind them. At least, it would fit with the current fiasco right now because as you say the list is heavy on Xamdou details. I can only guess that it was a document actually prepared (at least originally, or in part) for tabulating possible animators to use for Xamdou.

I'm worried about Bones since their official statement just added oil to the flames of criticism from all sides, because to most people it just seems pretty obvious the document did come from someone in Bones, who must have been there until somewhat recently at least.

The thing is, although I think at least the better animators have the common sense and maturity to know that one or two disgruntled, irresponsible people != a whole company, when the company boss comes out and writes something that seems contradictory it can't be helped that Bones' reputation is going to get hit very much.

Considering that many animators do not stay that long with one company but have renewable contract things (拘束) that sometimes allow them to work with other companies as long as they come back when they're needed, I wonder what Bones will do for animators now if (and only if, I dunno if this'll get forgotten in a week's time) people don't feel like going there. Not necessarily because of the leak but the handling of the leak.

I guess we just sit here and see how Xamdo turns out?

edit: wow, a few hours ago the Moonphase dude said he had heard of the FMA 2 production and said it was definitely intended to stick to the manga (to coincide with the projected end of the manga in 2009, or something like that) There was supposed to be a big event announcing the news at the end of the year or something, but well, now....

And also JAniCA, the Japan Animation Creators Association is taking action! Pity I have to go sleep now, grumble...

OH. And Satoshi Kon said something about it too. ttp://konstone.s-kon.net/modules/notebook/?p=274 Why am I soooo slow at reading?

Last edited by wao; 2008-07-07 at 10:07.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 19:53   Link #44
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
edit: wow, a few hours ago the Moonphase dude said he had heard of the FMA 2 production and said it was definitely intended to stick to the manga (to coincide with the projected end of the manga in 2009, or something like that) There was supposed to be a big event announcing the news at the end of the year or something, but well, now....

FMA manga is definitely coming to an end with the how the recent events are setting things up there's going to be a big final battle with all the major characters being invovle.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 20:26   Link #45
wao
OK.

Man, I lol'd at Satoshi Kon's entry after carefully reading it this morning. I didn't think he'd be so cutting with his words...

I don't think anyone'd be interested if I translated the whole thing (I wouldn't do justice to it anyway), but well... he does seem rather disappointed by the whole thing. The contents of the list were bad enough to make him want to write something as simple and direct as "Wow. This is bad." The type of comments shown wouldn't be out of place in small talk around the industry,
Kon says he's said even worse things sometimes. But it's not a laughing matter when a list that looks a lot like it's from a production company has such idiotic comments on it. It's pretty clear he's miffed about Inoue being B - he writes a quote: "What? That person's ranked B!? What is this guy, an amateur?"
He questions the need for all those personal comments on a list and finds that whoever made it certainly was very careless if they thought they could prevent it being leaked - because from the looks of the list it's quite obviously not for solely personal use, but for sharing with other people, making it near impossible to say it would never get leaked. He also mentions he might (secretly) like a list of unintelligent production staff that would be silly enough to let this sort of list get seen by other people.

The most biting part would be when he's criticizing the company itself though. This is not a very good translation at all, but I think you can roughly guess he is not particularly impressed

Quote:
"It was a malicious action intended as libel against our company", or so they say.
Wha?
Like there would actually be someone bored enough to go through the trouble of making such a detailed list outside of work.
No matter how you look at it, this has to be insider information from the production department.
"There are no documents formatted in the same manner in our studio and we have determined that it is not a leak of an internal file"... wait a minute, come on now, this won't even serve as the basis of anything.
That level of scenario won't even sound believable in the anime they make.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to put a little bit more thought into your handling of the matter, B-san?

Ah, by the way this initial is not B as in the ABC ranking of production companies, for the record.

I don't know if he hasn't considered that the file could've been normal, and only tampered with before it was uploaded, or if he has ruled out that possibility because of other information...
Anyway the buzz is dying down somewhat, I think. We'll see whether JAniCA will really do something constructive and whether Bones can revive itself or will just fade away.
And yes I know pretty much nobody else cares <_<
Old 2008-07-08, 18:43   Link #46
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, I only just now stumbled upon this thread, and what the heck. I'm not one to follow the studios' specificities and backstage tribulations, but Bones being my favorite company I have to say this makes me a little worried about their future. And Xamdou was certainly looking awesome, but now...

Satoshi Kon comes off as either very knowledgeable in Bones' internal matters (which I would find unusual, since he mostly deals with Madhouse, doesn't he?) or extremely arrogant. Since he's got this whole status as a "cult director" (I love his work btw), I guess it's easy to associate his reaction with the latter case, but you never know.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 15:44   Link #47
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

So, what is Bones working on?

What are they putting out next? Will we see more Darker than Black?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 16:01   Link #48
mecharobot

The Eureka 7 prequel, Eureka 7 Ao.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 16:16   Link #49
Grim_Reaper

Quote:
The Eureka 7 prequel, Eureka 7 Ao.
But it isn't a prequel, why do you think so?
Grim_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 16:26   Link #50
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I do hope they will work on Magi -The Labyrinth of Magic- !
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 16:33   Link #51
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Just looked it up. It's a Eureka Seven sequel.

It seems like their releases slowed down. They had some big ones there for a good while. I wonder what else they have cooking. I hope it's more DtB!
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 22:14   Link #52
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Reviving the topic for some news that reminded me of why I feel in love with this Studio.

Guardian Enzo had posted on his blog about the E7AO screening in Fanime, and the following interview. The part that really got to me was this

Quote:
He spoke for several minutes on this topic actually, so I had to cut the video short. Basically he said (to great approval) that the folks in charge at BONES come from a long tradition of hand-drawn mech series, and they believe firmly that mechs should be drawn by people. And if studios like BONES don’t hire artists to draw their mecha, those artists won’t be able to work and the craft will die out.
According to Enzo, ''That statement by Koyama drew a thunderous round of applause''

I've sort of been a bit more snarky about any recent BONES show announcement *looks at Fuse* since many of their shows hadn't been all that great. I mean I enjoyed Gosick, Star Driver and Un-Go plenty enough, even loved some parts of them, but I thought that a lot of the content they got out paled to their earlier works. I guess I forgot what made me drawn to the studio in the first place.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:47   Link #53
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Ahahaha I was looking at the comments from 5 years ago and realized how Brotherhood was really a shock to everyone when revealed.
Old 2012-06-18, 16:16   Link #54
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Bones is working on new version of a "familiar title"

So,speculations anyone?

"new version" sounds like some kind of reboot rather than a sequel,so to me it doesn't sound like DTB3.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:49   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm still going with DTB until I see more concrete evidence otherwise. I don't necessarily think "new version" rules out a sequel - it could just be a loose translation of what was said.

If it truly is a reboot it could be almost anything. Maybe they've decided enough time has passed to do something with Bebop, but that was pretty much done right the first time - and was never as popular in Japan (relatively) as it was in the West. Rahxephon is a series you could certainly see getting a reboot.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 04:37   Link #56
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Isn't Bebop Sunrise, not BONES?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 04:42   Link #57
Westlo
Lets be reality

I still think RahXephon is the best thing Bones put out... don't know if I would want to see it touched again though...

FWIW duckroll has mentioned rumors of a sequel to Stranger.... and considering Ando is back @ Bones directing Zetsuen no Tempest... though while Stranger was an awesome flick for what it was it was a a pretty big bomba IIRC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Isn't Bebop Sunrise, not BONES?
Of course, though Bones did in fact do the production of the Bebop movie but that's because most of the talented staff of Sunrise formed Bones in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If it truly is a reboot it could be almost anything. Maybe they've decided enough time has passed to do something with Bebop, but that was pretty much done right the first time - and was never as popular in Japan (relatively) as it was in the West. Rahxephon is a series you could certainly see getting a reboot.
Even though this is obviously not Bebop since that's a Sunrise property (and if it did get rebooted Sunrise would handle it themselves at this point of time instead of needing Bones) I still feel the need to point out something. You seem to underestimate Bebop's popularity in Japan... you need to remember it still sold over 45k per volume, which is pretty much elite... better than K-ON! and Geass R2.... and considering only half the episodes even aired on tv during its original run... (and yes rereleases played a part but nearly 17k in the first run is still impressive and by itself would make it a Top 20 selling anime show prior to 2000... but it sold even more in rereleases doing another 28k.)

Last edited by Westlo; 2012-06-19 at 04:57.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 05:02   Link #58
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I will happy if its new Ouran.
Old 2012-06-19, 17:50   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Given that BONES produced the most recent incarnation of Bebop, they may very well be in position to produce a reboot - if such a thing is going to happen, which I doubt.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 18:49   Link #60
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I hope they do a third season to Darker than Black considering that the second season seemed rushed and left many questions still unanswered. Plus the way it ended sort of left a possibility of a continuation, but that's just me.