AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 10 17.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 37.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 25.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 15.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-05, 13:54   Link #41
4Tran

Aside from the rather unusual OP, the first episode is very Marimite-like. And, speaking as a fan of the series, that's an extremely good thing. The show relies on two main elements: characters and the way they play off one another - both these elements are out in full force and the show is firing on all cylinders. While there is a degree of repetition it's pretty obvious that the production staff know exactly what they're doing with the cast and how to entertain the audience.

One thing that I find to be talked about less than it deserves is that Marimite can be an extremely funny show. It's not a comedy per se, but I find it more humorous at times than pure comedies like Hyakko or Kyou no Go no Ni (both are decent shows). Then again, I may be just a lot more susceptible to this style of humor.

Another couple of notes: I haven't been fond of the rather-typecast roles that Kugimiya Rie has landed since her Shana role, but she's reverting a bit back to old form as Touko here, and it's coming off very well. I think that one main difference is that she's playing more of a character than to archetype as her other characters have been wont to do. I aslo noticed a lot of meaning given to Touko's facial expressions in the scene where Yumi stops her. While Marimite has rather sparse animation, it's these kinds of subtle touches that elevate it to being a more well-rounded experience. I much prefer this kind of approach over the more ostentatious (and in-your-face) kind of visual style used by many other shows.

The one character whose development feels to be a bit lacking so far is Kanako, but I imagine that we'll be seeing much more from her as this season progresses. All in all, this season of Marimite seems to be shaping up very well, and it's easily my favorite show currently airing (surprisingly, the next two are both shoujo as well).
Old 2009-01-05, 14:57   Link #42
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
I find it kind of funny that everyone's reacting more to the running in the OP than, say, this magically evolved teleportation skill of Yumi's xD.
That's because there's nothing that says that teleporting is frowned upon. Even if Maria-sama's watching, it's ok.
Old 2009-01-05, 16:40   Link #43
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's because there's nothing that says that teleporting is frowned upon. Even if Maria-sama's watching, it's ok.
Just to be on the up and up

Teleporting= Ok with Maria-Sama not one of deadly sins

Running on school grounds= Blasphemy and possible heresy.
Old 2009-01-05, 20:59   Link #44
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

yeah

no complaints at all

absolutely loved the scene with yumi talking to touko, can't wait for more of the two interacting with one another.

lol at using action lines just to show yumi grabbing her hand

^______________________________^

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-01-05, 22:18   Link #45
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Lovely to have Marimite back with us...Nothing beats the nostalgia of getting to sit down with a cup of tea and watch a nice episode like this one honestly.

Heres hoping the rest of the season lives up to the promise this first episode showed.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-01-06, 00:39   Link #46
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan

This show is exactly what I need to start the new year. I need my Yumi fix
Old 2009-01-06, 00:45   Link #47
ranchan13

Urk, the opening bugs me. Yeah it seems more light-hearted and playful than in the past, but for some reason, I'm half expecting it to turn into a Magical Girl series.

Other then that, the series continues where it left off, endlessly teasing us with promises of full-blown Shoujo-Ai and never delivering, Grrrr
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2009-01-06, 02:29   Link #48
sa547
*Author

First sight of the OP/EDs, I was carpet-bombed, jaw dropped and feeling like I want to celebrate!

I liked the change in the OP/EDs, especially when they want to shake things up, make you pay attention and be amused. Fact is, I have so much fun with this episode, with much interaction going on, with some characters coming back (especially the nutty Hanadera crew), I can't wait for the next installment (and the super-Rosas).

Touko's gonna be great this season, and there will be those pleasant surprises coming up.
Old 2009-01-06, 10:19   Link #49
ranchan13

Ya know, the biggest questions I want answered is WHEN will Yumi pick her Soure and WHO will it be?
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2009-01-06, 10:39   Link #50
maximilianjenus
[E]

Yumi is so pimp she has two soeurs.

My favorite moment was yumi's smile to sahicko when sachiko said to reverse roles.
Old 2009-01-06, 11:04   Link #51
gokigenyou

Gokigenyou

I am a big Marimite fan (having read the novels, and owning all the special edition Japanese DVDs for seasons 1 thru 3, owning the official rosarios for Rosa Chinensis, Foetida, and Gigantea), so I do realize that my opinions are a bit biased.

That said, I loved the first episode of Season 4. This is the season I have been really looking forward to, particularly events between Yumi and Touko, and between Yoshino and Nana.

So, I have my comments about the new opening and ending.

Opening:

I loved it! I realize that it is breaking the Pastel Pure tradition, but I realized something...
This opening felt like a passing of the baton.

Why do I say that?

Pastel Pure was very classy. The Rosa Chinensis of each year has acted as the de-facto heads of the Yamayurikai from what we have witnessed, from Youko to Sachiko... both of whom are quite classy, if somewhat reserved characters. And, as such, Pastel Pure was very representative of the Rosa Chinensis of each year.... Not just Rosa Chinensis, but really the senior year Roses of each year as a whole (Youko, Sei and Eriko; Sachiko and Rei)

But, Sachiko and Rei has been seniors since season 2 of the anime. Before long, they will be graduating, and it will be Yumi who will be called "Rosa Chinensis" and Yoshino who will be called "Rosa Foetida".

Yumi and Yoshino (along with Shimako) are characters I adore... but they bring something very different to the Yamayurikai than Sachiko, Rei or Touko did.

Yumi, as "Rosa Chinensis En Bouton", has alot of fans amongst the students... in many ways more so than any of the past Yamayurikai members. The reason being that, while someone like Sachiko has this aura of rich elite elegance (which makes her envied, yet unapproachable in the minds of the other students), Yumi is seen as a normal girl like any other student that became successful. Yumi is more approachable, not intimidating, and shows her emotions very clearly.

Yoshino is wild, fun-loving, and filled with energy, whereas Rei is much more reserved. And Yoshino is joined at the hip with Yumi as very close friends.

I felt that this opening reflected Yumi and Yoshino's personalities very well, and the impact they will soon have as heads of the Yamayurikai.

I think it also shows how close Yumi, Yoshino and Shimako are. While Youko, Sei and Eriko were friends, as are Sachiko and Rei... they are still much more reserved around each other. While I can easily see someone like Sei running around merrily, I honestly do not see her, Youko and Eriko running around merrily together. But I can picture it when it comes to Yumi, Yoshino and Shimako.

So, as I said... I do believe that this opening is a wonderful passing of the baton.... to the bouton. (*sorry for the bad joke!*) While it is different from Pastel Pure... I also felt it was fitting and lovely in its own right. (I mean, can't you easily imagine Sachiko and Rei preferring to listen to classical music, while Yumi and Yoshino would prefer listening to more popular music?)

Also, I enjoyed how the animation followed what the lyrics said.

Ending:

I loved it. It told a story in its own right. And I loved how it showed the Yumi/Touko relationship. But geez, thanks for the spoilers on that one, animators!!!

That's my take on the season 4 opening/ending. Thanks!

Gokigenyou
Old 2009-01-07, 06:52   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
Ya know, the biggest questions I want answered is WHEN will Yumi pick her Soure and WHO will it be?
I was hoping to see this part of the story in this season, i mean it looked like it was going to happen in the OVA's (though i'm glad it didn't). Let's see what happens after this season deals with Kanako's backstory.
Old 2009-01-07, 08:52   Link #53
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
Well, certainly the OP and ED strongly indicate who it is going to be (just judging by who is paired with Yumi over and over in the opening and ending sequences), but of course we really won't know who it is until it happens.

I am hoping the happy event does take place this season, though!
Old 2009-01-07, 09:06   Link #54
kazuki_yuki92
Lelouch and C.C fans

Send a message via Yahoo to kazuki_yuki92
banzaiiii....sachiko-sama come back again....

i can't wait for next episode!
Old 2009-01-07, 10:55   Link #55
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I was hoping to see this part of the story in this season, i mean it looked like it was going to happen in the OVA's (though i'm glad it didn't). Let's see what happens after this season deals with Kanako's backstory.
We are not going to see that conclusion anytime soon probably not in this season. There will most definitely be talks telling Yumi its time for her to start considering and through this her and a certain someone's relationship becomes quite interesting. There is so much more of the story to be told there is a lot going on in the novels. Im hoping we get at least 1 more season out of Maria-Sama after this one.
Old 2009-01-07, 23:34   Link #56
EphemeralDream
Suigintou Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
We are not going to see that conclusion anytime soon probably not in this season. There will most definitely be talks telling Yumi its time for her to start considering and through this her and a certain someone's relationship becomes quite interesting. There is so much more of the story to be told there is a lot going on in the novels. Im hoping we get at least 1 more season out of Maria-Sama after this one.
I'm hoping at least 20 more
Old 2009-01-08, 20:44   Link #57
frodo1701
Anime Addict

I was rewatching the episode today when I saw someone I wasn't expecting to see yet.
Spoiler for look alike:

Last edited by frodo1701; 2009-01-08 at 21:57.
Old 2009-01-08, 21:03   Link #58
Molenir

Thats Noriko with Shimako. Wait, are you saying that Noriko is Rosa Foetida? Or the former Rosa Chinesis, Youko? Not quite sure what you are trying to imply here.
Old 2009-01-08, 21:41   Link #59
frodo1701
Anime Addict

That isn't Noriko. Noriko arrives a couple of minutes later with Kanako and Touko.

It's just someone who is helping with the costumes for the play. It just caught my eye that she looked alot like Youko. However, she is a good bit shorter than Youko.
Old 2009-01-09, 02:05   Link #60
Neku
yare yare..

Just watched it.
I think it's a good start. Been a long time since I've had a dose of Marimite, and Episode 1 just gives me back that feeling - I want more.

Anyways, it's good to see Sachiko being happier, or should I say, smarter as per to cheekier? She just had to say something along the lines of giving confidence to Yumi and Yumi is all down for it.

As for scenes between Yumi and Touko - looking forward for more.

..and finally, all hail Sei!
Closed Thread