AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-09, 09:01   Link #201
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
What in the living bloody fuck was in any of those promotional materials that said "hey, this is going to be like Shiki/Another" or could it be that you ignored the evidence and simply made your own uninformed assumptions?

Yeah, I don't see it either.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:07   Link #202
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ EDIT: Yeah, I guess neither of us can see Yuuko smiling...right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
MAL tags: Mystery, Horror, Romance, School, Shonen, Supernatural
ANN tags: Drama, mystery, romance, supernatural, ghosts, school

+ the PV and synopsis. I don't see "moe" or "comedy" anywhere. And these two elements overwhelmed everything else. If they were just side elements I wouldn't have cared, but that's pretty much all I got. That's my problem. Did I expect a Shiki/Another/Ghost translation entirely? No. Did I expect an atmosphere or premise that would indicate said tags, synopsis and PV? Yes.

And what kinda promotion would explicitly say: "This series is going to be like that other anime X". Stop putting words in my mouth.
They were overwhelming? Oh that's great, for how many episodes was that the case? Oh right we have one so far...

Wait wait wait, you mentioned the PV? Does that mean you actually saw it? So I assume you saw Okonogi acting like an energetic comedy fall-back, Teiichi acting the way you mentioned around Yuuko, and ofcourse Yuuko not acting like a damn terrifying ghost. So now, you say what happened in the first episode was unexpected? Assuming you indeed watched all the PVs, ah but if you watched them--that means you also saw the creepy image I posted which was taken from the first PV, no? Now, how can you see something like that in the PV then when you actually watch the series and don't see it things suddenly become "hurr durr I guess the ghost is just annoying and moe the PV lied to me hurr durr".

All that only assuming you watched all the PVs, since you bothered to mention it.

Now regarding your last statement, now you're going to pretend you didn't say you were expecting this to be like Shiki/Another? So you admit the promotional material would never say something like that? Well then where did your expectations come from? Tags on MAL and ANN instead of the actual promotional videos?
Old 2012-04-09, 09:11   Link #203
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I won't categorize this as a mistake you've committed, but I have to ask you something: do tags really capture what an anime series is about? There are times where merely looking at the tags isn't enough to fully grasp the story, especially an adaptation such as this.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-04-09 at 10:27. Reason: Removed comment.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:14   Link #204
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I might be mistaken but this first episode just introduces the character's personalities in a more light hearted fashion. From the looks of things the next episode "episode 2" will be the manga's chapter 1 which is basically the introduction to Teeichi and Yuuko's relationship and adds the actual darker feel of the series.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:28   Link #205
Cadallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
...I get the distinct feeling I should avoid this thread since the 'shenanigans' as some people put it, are basically HALF the story... But that would just leave the nay-sayers and that won't be good.

I, for one, liked the ep. It took a little while to get used to since they started with Yuuko being invisible and then switched it around. Yuuko has the most adorable voice. They got the gist of the interactions between the characters spot on. I don't really mind that they started where they did - the beginning will be covered so I'm not going to have a cow.

Indeed, what exactly are other people reading?

The fundamental character dynamic is a harem comedy! It's Yuuko, Kirie and Momoe fighting over the affections of Teiichi, with varying techniques and effectiveness.

For me, the rest is just a scaffolding to enable the comedy that takes place as a result of those interactions.

And thinking back on it, I guess the reason I like the manga is that Maybe has done an incredibly good job of keeping me uncertain how it's going to play out. My gut says the series is ultimately light-hearted, but I also think there's a large chance that I'm wrong.

The skill there is that, either way I think I'll be content with it, and not feel like I just got horribly trolled by the author. It is an enjoyable series.
Cadallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:32   Link #206
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
That's the thing,I don't remember her being that present in the PVs or nearly as hyperactive in them and much of the first episode was focused on her that's why I can understand where DemiSoda is coming from.
Fair enough. There's a slight running gag that she's supposed to be a detective but she's not very observant. She is not a frequent recurring character. Kirie, Teiichi, and Yuuko are the three main characters and they are what the story revolves around.

I understand where he is coming from as well. But the thing to remember for everyone is that advertisements lie. No, your penis or breasts won't get bigger from a pill, it's not really new and improved, the sale is only because they marked up the price initially, and little cartoon characters aren't what your cleaning/hygiene products look like under a microscope.

Having strong expectations just from a synopsis or a preview that uses cherry picked images is just going to set you up for disappointment. Heck how many of us come into an anime excited because we liked the manga/novel/etc. and come away unhappy, even though we already knew what the story would be like going in?
Old 2012-04-09, 09:48   Link #207
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
They were overwhelming? Oh that's great, for how many episodes was that the case? Oh right we have one so far...
So you expect people to wait till it gets good? So it's that promise where it's get better later on. Awesome. Now I have to bank that this may get better in the future alongside bookshelves of other series that fit in this category. That's very encouraging ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san
Wait wait wait, you mentioned the PV? Does that mean you actually saw it? So I assume you saw Okonogi acting like an energetic comedy fall-back, Teiichi acting the way you mentioned around Yuuko, and ofcourse Yuuko not acting like a damn terrifying ghost. So now, you say what happened in the first episode was unexpected? Assuming you indeed watched all the PVs, ah but if you watched them--that means you also saw the creepy image I posted which was taken from the first PV, no? Now, how can you see something like that in the PV then when you actually watch the series and don't see it things suddenly become "hurr durr I guess the ghost is just annoying and moe the PV lied to me hurr durr".

All that only assuming you watched all the PVs, since you bothered to mention it.
Nice try but you mentioned the PV first, asking me if I watched it, so I naturally replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san
Now regarding your last statement, now you're going to pretend you didn't say you were expecting this to be like Shiki/Another? So you admit the promotional material would never say something like that? Well then where did your expectations come from? Tags on MAL and ANN instead of the actual promotional videos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisoda
... I came into this series expecting a horror/mystery along the lines of Shiki, Another, Ghost Hunt and instead I got dumb moe comedy shenanigans ...
Quote:

+ the PV and synopsis.
Combination of factors. Not just one exclusively. I also said "along the lines of". Never did I say direct translation NOR did I say that the promotional materials state they were going to be like that. In fact, you're the one who brought up that strawman argument in the first place:

Quote:
...What in the living bloody fuck was in any of those promotional materials that said "hey, this is going to be like Shiki/Another" or could it be that you ignored the evidence and simply made your own uninformed assumptions?

I wasn't alone either in what was to be expected either. See totoum's and Kanon's responses for example.

Sure, Kanon may have tolerated it, but I for one don't tolerate it all and you can't expect everyone to just accept it. This is a forum and forums are for critiquing. Not everything has to have abundant amounts of silly comedy sheniengans because we got genres dedicated to that not to mention at least a good half of anime these days are of that kind. Sure, I enjoy the odd well made slice of life/comedy here and there but I don't want it in every frakken genre or series. Is it that selfish to not want those elements?
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:52   Link #208
Shadow5YA

Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:19   Link #209
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

This is why they shouldn't have deviated from the source material right away. Or at all, for that matter. One of the mysteries was supposed to have been introduced at the end of the first chapter, but because they instead chose to prioritize showing the mains together first (which shouldn't have happened this early), including a "with" and "without" segment that I thought took up too much time, valuable time for the more serious parts were lost for the first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
People will understandably be angry at what they perceive to be false advertising.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:21   Link #210
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post

The fundamental character dynamic is a harem comedy! It's Yuuko, Kirie and Momoe fighting over the affections of Teiichi, with varying techniques and effectiveness.

For me, the rest is just a scaffolding to enable the comedy that takes place as a result of those interactions.

And thinking back on it, I guess the reason I like the manga is that Maybe has done an incredibly good job of keeping me uncertain how it's going to play out. My gut says the series is ultimately light-hearted, but I also think there's a large chance that I'm wrong.

The skill there is that, either way I think I'll be content with it, and not feel like I just got horribly trolled by the author. It is an enjoyable series.
I disagree with calling it a harem comedy. Granted there's one male MC with a group of girls around him, but the main focus of the series as always been Yuuko's background and the school mysteries. Yes, the girls have a thing for the main character but there isn't all that much competition for affection as you've said. As you can see even in the first episode the only one that actively chases after Teiichi is Yuuko.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:27   Link #211
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post

Momoe fighting over the affection of Teiichi?

Not in the manga I'm reading. Actually there is no fight at all, thanks to Kirie's tsundereish part of herself. And anyway it's not the main theme there.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:13   Link #212
LKK

Crunchyroll will stream the series under the name "Dusk Maiden of Amnesia".
Quote:
The series will stream on Sundays at 9:00 am PDT in the following territories: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.
[Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:17   Link #213
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
With Madoka Magica, the image of "conventional" or "standard" magical girl anime was promoted, and the switch was to "darker" and "different".

Demi Soda seems to be arguing that with this show the exact opposite is going on - The image of darker and different was promoted, but instead we get conventional and standard.

I think it's pretty clear which of these types of switches is more inherently disappointing than the other one.

I'm not necessarily saying that Demi Soda is right (I don't know, I'm watching this mainly since Coldlight recommended it to me, and so I'm coming in pretty much entirely blind here), but if I was expecting dark/different and I got standard/conventional, I'd consider that quite a letdown. So I think people should cut Demi Soda some slack here, especially since I know for a fact that Demi Soda likes serious mystery/horror and has had to put up with some real disappointments there lately (such as the ending to Another).

Now, that being said, I largely enjoyed this first episode.

I agree with Coldlight that it did seem a tad bit wasteful to basically redo a full third or so of the episode. While that did increase the comedy value some, it also made everything seem a bit dragged out to me.

However, I loved the visuals, I loved the seiyu work, and I really like the overall style of this show. I think the cast is pretty well-balanced, although I hope the dialogue is spread out a bit more evenly in the future. And yes, Coldlight, Kirie reminds me a bit of someone we're both big fans of, lol. Mind you, Kirie is a lot less genki girl than that character is, similarly serious-minded though.

I do like parts of the premise of this show, especially this ghost girl being someone who can only be touched by the male lead. I have to admit, that's a pretty cool concept.

The character designs, artwork, and animation are all really nice in this too. It comes together beautifully. That's especially true of that forest path walk against a brilliant sunset. Man, that was truly gorgeous visuals, honestly reminding me of a Thomas Kinkade painting.

The tone I'm getting from this show is that it's very anime-esque, but also that it has a mix of mystery, horror, and comedy similar to the old Ghostbusters cartoon of the 1980s. If that continues, I'm happy with that overall balance.

I'll give this episode a 8/10. It would be a 7/10 if not for those breathtaking visuals at the end, but those alone earn it an extra point.

I am looking forward to the second episode.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:23   Link #214
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
How presumptuous, while I wouldn't call this Shiki or Another--it is indeed far from what has been described by the Soda-man.
Bah...who cares...they want to drop just let them. Why bother justifying anything to them?

No harm done after all as I keep saying....are they going to dent the sales any?

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-04-09 at 11:41.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:37   Link #215
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
In this case, yes actually. Without trying to spoil anything, the story is initially light hearted and comedic. The idea is to juxtapose the dark mystery and horror elements with a lighter side. Yuuko (the ghost) has a very disturbing past, and as the plot unravels the mystery it gets harder to trust that she's the nice happy ghost you see initially. Every mystery the characters solve brings them closer to the truth of what happened to Yuuko, but it also opens up some sometimes uncomfortable reflection on the other characters. Some of the mysteries have a happy ending, some....not so much. The story isn't super dark, like Another or Shiki, but it's definitely not a supernatural harem comedy like Rosario.

As for the annoying detective girl, be thankful....unless the anime changes things, she's not around much or as annoying in every appearance either.

If nothing else, come back later on and see if you like it then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And here we go with the "first episode represents the entire series" mentality. >_>

Shiki? Another? Ghost Hunt? Stupid tags. I regard Tasogare Otome x Amnesia as supernatural, and that comes from someone who doesn't watch anime because of similar genres or another anime's success.
Quoted these two for summing up my feelings on the matter exactly.

There's a lot of potentially good series you're going to miss out on if you approach everything with that sort of mindset, and that's really sad.

Also, to regard Shiki, Another, or Ghost Hunt as though they are the epitome of the perfect "dark mystery/horror anime series" means that you don't know much about the genre. Comparing it to those shows is NOT a compliment (ESPECIALLY Shiki).
Old 2012-04-09, 12:03   Link #216
KLGChaos
The Shermain

For those who never read the manga, this series does have horror/mystery elements, but it's also very much a romantic comedy as well. Those expecting some pure horror story are probably better off looking elsewhere.

That being said, I enjoyed the first episode. The repeat segment was cool to watch thanks to Yuuko's antics, though I was surprised that they jumped liked 20 chapters in on the first episode. I'm assuming they'll go back and explain the earlier chapters through flashbacks in later episodes, especially considering the first chapter had a LOT of important info about the mystery.
Old 2012-04-09, 12:29   Link #217
Random Wanderer

Not twenty chapters in, only 5 or 6.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:40   Link #218
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
And everyone knew Gen Urobuchi was writing the series and would undoubtedly give it a tremendous twist. No one involved here has a comparable reputation.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:41   Link #219
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. I liked the way they started, by giving us a situation from after things had developed. I expect they will do the build-up in flashbacks. Seems like a fairly smart way to proceed, to me.

2. I just want to say that although I agree that Shiki and Another are not especially wonderful as "dark mystery/horror" stories, I thought both of those were excellent anime.

3. I was not especially thrilled by the repeat section. Seemed a poor use of the time. Maybe it's just that it gave me bad memories of Endless Eight.

4. I loved the work of Fukuen Misato as Okonogi, the talkative investigatrix. The voice work was all good, in fact.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:47   Link #220
APNki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
though I was surprised that they jumped liked 20 chapters in on the first episode. I'm assuming they'll go back and explain the earlier chapters through flashbacks in later episodes, especially considering the first chapter had a LOT of important info about the mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Not twenty chapters in, only 5 or 6.
They just skipped the prologue 'chapter 0' and went straight to chapter 1 in the first episode of the anime. Hopefully we will see the prologue in the next episode.

Or you can get technical and say they skipped to chapter three since the prologue is split into two chapters.

Spoiler for more chapter spoilers:

Last edited by APNki; 2012-04-09 at 13:12.
APNki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural